Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

[quote name='RedvsBlue']With $30 million, why worry about future work? I'd retire from hosting, do a little writing, and spend all my time with my family.

My only question is, what happens when Leno comes back and the ratings still suck? Do they reincarnate Johnny Carson?[/QUOTE]

The bigger your salary, the bigger your bills.

He will work somewhere else.

The only way he'd not get canceled a month or so after beginning a show on Fox would be if he allows Seth McFarlane to write material for him.

And at that point, the universe would be incapable of putting up with more of McFarlane's total bullshit, and would willingly collapse upon itself. And let's face it - that would be the proper course of action.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Where'd you read that? That's great news.

Nevermind, it's all over the media.[/QUOTE]

They are probably willing to pay anything to get this thing over and done with.

I think Conan on Fox at 11:35 could definitely work, I don't recall Fox ever having anything worthwhile to watch in that time slot. For instance, right now TMZ is on.

[quote name='yukine']I think Conan on Fox at 11:35 could definitely work, I don't recall Fox ever having anything worthwhile to watch in that time slot. For instance, right now TMZ is on.[/QUOTE]
It would have to be 11:00 or else his lead in is likely a Seinfeld rerun instead of local news.

Fox honestly seems like a black hole. Comedy Central (which has Stewart and Colbert), or ABC which has more local affiliate news than Fox seems to, are the only places Conan could go and make a dent in the competition and hold enough ratings to stick around. Fox would need a complete overhaul to accommodate Conan's kind of show. The last successful traditional talk show Fox had that I can remember is Arsenio Hall. They don't want to spend money on something like that again.

[quote name='dafoomie']It would have to be 11:00 or else his lead in is likely a Seinfeld rerun instead of local news.[/QUOTE]

My FOX station here has local news on until 11:35 EST so there wouldn't be any lead in issues here. Heck I'd imagine most stations would have little issue bumping that Seinfeld rerun for another 35 minutes of news that leads into Conan.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']...or fail miserably and prove NBC right in the first place. Its all on what he wants to do really but one thing is for certain, if he is smart with his money, he certainly won't have to worry about money no matter what he wants to do.[/QUOTE]

he doesnt want to screw over his staff too that made the move to LA with him

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Fox honestly seems like a black hole. Comedy Central (which has Stewart and Colbert), or ABC which has more local affiliate news than Fox seems to, are the only places Conan could go and make a dent in the competition and hold enough ratings to stick around. Fox would need a complete overhaul to accommodate Conan's kind of show. The last successful traditional talk show Fox had that I can remember is Arsenio Hall. They don't want to spend money on something like that again.[/QUOTE]

Now that you bring it up, Comedy Central would work for a 12 AM timeslot. The problem I see is even if he goes to fox or abc, he still has the crowd who watches stewart/colbert to contend with and it seems well in my opinion a lot of Conan's stuff is geared toward the stewart/colbert age group.

The latest news coming out is that Conan's gonna get around $30 million as compensation....and he might not be able to get a new gig until the newy year...this sux.....i'm sure he doesn't really care about the money he would rather just start a new gig as soon as possible.

Its really sad that Conan could be leaving what he worked so hard for, for so many years just have to it taken away from him because Jay Leno changed his mind about retiring in the first place and wants his old job back. Whats NBC gonna do when Leno actually retires in a few years?

fuck Leno, fuck NBC.

Everybody needs to BOYCOTT NBC when (and if) this gets announced. Watch your shows on Hulu if you have to. If you have a twitter, you should be putting #boycottNBC if your messages! Remind NBC that the viewers are the boss.

[quote name='tsg2005']Everybody needs to BOYCOTT NBC when (and if) this gets announced. Watch your shows on Hulu if you have to. If you have a twitter, you should be putting #boycottNBC if your messages! Remind NBC that the viewers are the boss.[/QUOTE]

Don't we all do that already? LOL

Thursday night from 8-10 is the only time my TV ever hits NBC. The network blows.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Fox honestly seems like a black hole. Comedy Central (which has Stewart and Colbert), or ABC which has more local affiliate news than Fox seems to, are the only places Conan could go and make a dent in the competition and hold enough ratings to stick around. Fox would need a complete overhaul to accommodate Conan's kind of show. The last successful traditional talk show Fox had that I can remember is Arsenio Hall. They don't want to spend money on something like that again.[/QUOTE]

Comedy Central would be tough. His show would have to be at 12 as they aren't moving the Daily Show or Colbert. And he already turned down a chance to move to 12.

Plus it's a cable channel, so it's a smaller audience as you miss the people with just antenna, or with the cheapeast $20 some dollar cable packages etc.

ABC or Fox could would be best. But I don't know if ABC would ditch Nightline and slide Kimmel back 30 mins. Definitely the latter, but nightline has been on at 11:30 for a long itme.

Fox could work, but if they do it at 11:30, they need to really push affiliates to run news until 11:30.

[quote name='JolietJake']Fox affiliates seem to run news at really random times.[/QUOTE]

They do. Mine has news from 10-11:30 and then TMZ at 11:30 so it would be fine.

But where I lived before it was just 10-11. Here there is news 10-11 as well. Then Fox 5 News Edge from 11-11:30. Not sure what the difference is--cable box guide description is the same as the 10-11 news. Guessing it's just a condensed version of that news into 30 minutes.

I don't get all the hate on here for Jay. I think both guys got screwed. My understanding is that Jay never wanted to move, that it was the idea of the execs - Namely Zucker. Regardless of your tastes in "comedy", Zucker is the real villain here and he has single handedly run NBC into the ground.

But Jay never wanted to quit and never wanted a different show, the higher ups just wanted to move Conan up. I just wish Jay would never have agreed to it because then neither guy would have been embarrassed. But I think it is entirely unfair to blame Jay for the fact that both guys' shows have gone down in ratings since the switch and accepting NBC's offer to move him back to get the ratings back.

Personally, I don't really think either guy is funny. But America does, and despite CAG always thinking they are the say all, end all of anything in this universe, America likes Jay more.

Good points. It's easier to hate on Jay since he's a known face. Most people here couldn't pick Jeff Zucker out of a lineup. IMO, he's the primary blame-carrier (it's a word now). I don't think Leno is completely innocent by any means, he certainly has some culpability in this situation. Zucker, however, is the Big Bad in all of this.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']community is THE funniest show on tv right now. theyve done an excellent job in fleshing out the cast and giving them distinct personalities. i really hope it gets renewed for years to come.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes! I love Community!

----------

With talks of a settlement underway, and how quickly NBC now wants to resolve this, makes me think that Conan's last day was yesterday :whistle2:(

NBC just wanted to have their cake and eat it too back in 2004.

They didn't want to move Leno, as he'd been winning the 11:30 talk show battle for a decade. But they didn't want to lose Conan who had other offers either--and especially didn't want to lose him and have him up against Leno at 11:35.

So they assumed Leno would really be ready to retire in 5 years, and made the deal to have Conan take over at that point. But he didn't get the ratings Leno did, and they didn't have the patience to wait for him to build an audience.

Totally lame on their part, they made the decision to do that 5 year deal and should stick by it. If the were so committed to Leno, then they should have just let Conan walk 5 years ago.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I don't get all the hate on here for Jay. I think both guys got screwed. My understanding is that Jay never wanted to move, that it was the idea of the execs - Namely Zucker. Regardless of your tastes in "comedy", Zucker is the real villain here and he has single handedly run NBC into the ground.

But Jay never wanted to quit and never wanted a different show, the higher ups just wanted to move Conan up. I just wish Jay would never have agreed to it because then neither guy would have been embarrassed. But I think it is entirely unfair to blame Jay for the fact that both guys' shows have gone down in ratings since the switch and accepting NBC's offer to move him back to get the ratings back.

Personally, I don't really think either guy is funny. But America does, and despite CAG always thinking they are the say all, end all of anything in this universe, America likes Jay more.[/QUOTE]

This is partially true. I know Leno can't predict the future, but if he didn't want to "retire" in '09 like they wrote up in the contract, then he shouldn't have made the deal back in '04. Not only did he fuck things up by doing that, but he also removed Conan's primetime lead-in by being on at 10. If he wouldn't have agreed to that knowing he didn't want to retire, then we'd still have Leno/Conan like it was for 17 years or whatever.

The other thing that pisses me off is that Leno is saying that he's pissed off at NBC and may leave too. Bullshit. He wants the Tonight Show back and will say anything to maintain his image. I don't think people will forget about this, and that he's kinda fucked.

Howard Stern was right on the money about this whole situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Muw0y7pEUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcAAb60lik

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JolietJake']I got curious and looked up John Melendez on imdb, dude is credited as being a writer on Jay's show.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0577579/

They hired him as a writer, seriously?[/QUOTE]

Leno hired him as the announcer back in like 2004. John was making like 500 thousand a year doing the job. When Leno switched shows he demoted but kept John on as a writer. Probably because John burned his bridge with Howard and couldn't go back.

Trakan, anybody and everybody predicted that Leno wouldn't want to leave. He made/makes a ton of money, beats Letterman and is a complete workaholic.

[quote name='Rocko']http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/16/conan-obrien-nbc-settlement-tonight-show-jay-leno/[/QUOTE]

Yea but it doesn't say if he's off the air starting Monday. I am really hoping NBC will let Conan finish off his show the right way. I don't think they want more bad PR. Depending on what he does, it might give us an indication if he will ever return to late night tv in some fashion. I for one will NOT be watching the Tonight Show with Jay Leno when it comes back on the air.

[quote name='wildcpac']But Neo said you cant trust TMZ.[/QUOTE]

Man, you really have a hard on for me. Time for you to get over yourself. Now go away, kid, ya botherin' me.

I also have a hard on for you but its because you're handsome. And smell nice.

And that clip of Stern warning Conan was crazy. I remember how Stern would always say that Jay is the biggest fake in the industry.

I just rewatched that movie about Leno and Letterman's fight for the Tonight Show. I truly wonder if there will be a similar movie about this whole mess? Who would play Conan O'brien?

So they get to kick him out, keep him from working anywhere else, decide what he can and cannot say about the network, and keep all of his ideas? Why would he ever agree to that?

[quote name='CouRageouS']I also have a hard on for you but its because you're handsome. And smell nice.[/QUOTE]

You silver-tongued devil, you.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Who would play Conan O'brien?[/QUOTE]

Why, the president of Finland, of course.

separated.jpg

[quote name='Rocko']So they get to kick him out, keep him from working anywhere else, decide what he can and cannot say about the network, and keep all of his ideas? Why would he ever agree to that?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PenguinoMF']http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/nbc-to-keep-cocos-masturbating-bear.html

Don't know how true this is but its something to keep in mind.[/QUOTE]

Wow, just wow... Out of all his Characters, Triumph may escape the NBC dogcatchers. It's too bad though. 30 million to shut up and early retire. I really hope we will see Conan back in some form down the road.

So when Leno FINALLY gives up the Tonight show (for real this time), or dies of a heart attack, who is NBC going to give the show to? Letterman? yea right... Fallon? fuck NO!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']
So when Leno FINALLY gives up the Tonight show (for real this time), or dies of a heart attack, who is NBC going to give the show to? Letterman? yea right... Fallon? fuck NO!![/QUOTE]

Probably Ryan fucking Seacrest.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Probably Ryan fucking Seacrest.[/QUOTE]

If that happens, and it just might, I won't watch TV for at least 5 years.

bread's done
Back