Top 5 cartoon voice actors.

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ranking is based on both quality of performance & variety of voices. Some lesser known roles not listed.

1. Frank Welker

Scooby-Doo - Fred
Transformers - Megatron, Soundwave
Inspector Gadget - Doctor Claw, Brain, Mad Cat
The Simpsons - Santa's Little Helper, various animals
Futurama - Nibbler

2. Billy West

Ren & Stimpy - Title characters
Futurama - Fry, Professor Farnsworth, Dr. Zoidberg

3. Mel Blanc

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies - All primary characters except Elmer Fudd (Arthur Q. Bryan), The Roadrunner (Paul Julian), & Granny (Bea Benaderet)
The Flintstones - Barney Rubble, Dino
The Jetsons - Mr. Spacely

4. Dan Castellaneta

The Simpsons - Homer, Grandpa, Krusty, Groundskeeper Willie, Barney, Mayor Quimby
Back To The Future: The Series - Doc Brown
Darkwing Duck - Megavolt

5. Harry Shearer

The Simpsons - Mr. Burns, Smithers, Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner, Rev. Lovejoy, Kent Brockman, Dr. Hibbert, Otto

Oh for god's sake cut him some slack its the off topic forum.

The list is missing Chris Latta, he may be dead but the classic voice of both Starscream and Cobra Commander should be included.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Oh for god's sake cut him some slack its the off topic forum.

The list is missing Chris Latta, he may be dead but the classic voice of both Starscream and Cobra Commander should be included.[/QUOTE]

i second chris latta those 2 characters he voiced are my alltime favorites and 2 of the most iconic cartoon voices ever. to this day i still remember that episode of transformers where they had cobra commander at the end lol. and i know alot of people priase the voicework that guy did for sstarscream in the recent videogame war for cybertron but theres only one starscream.

id also nominate Michael Bell, Mark Hamill ( the only real joker) and Kevin Conroy ( the only batman).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDwTDndm4b8

[quote name='Javery']There's Mel Blanc and then there's everyone else.[/QUOTE]

porky_pig_thats_all_folks-5172.jpg

a few I remember liking..
Jennifer Hale, liked her part in avatar, really need to get around to a mass effect female playthrough and watching star wars:clone wars (the second one).

Veronica Taylor though more anime related
Pokemon ash and others.
Valkyrie profile Freya, Aelia, Jayle, Fuyuki a minor character who sounds like ash.

Megan Hollingshead
Michelle Ruff
Mark Hamill

Edit: and this feels more like something I'd see on the escapist or maybe the blog section on cag.

OP actually had some great choices. Impressive.

Other notables include: Cree Summers, Tress MacNeille, Richard Horvitz, John DiMaggio, Tom Kenny, Casey Kasem, Pamela Adlon, Rob Paulson, Maurice LeMarche

Probably forgetting a few.

As others have said, no one will ever top Mel Blanc.

[quote name='evantrees']Veronica Taylor though more anime related
Pokemon ash and others.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to give an honorable mention to Eric Stuart, voice of Brock, James, Ash's Pokedex (Dexter), and many Pokemon including Metapod, Charmeleon, Squirtle, Blastoise, Ekans, Koffing, Weezing, Cubone, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hypno, Jolteon, Machoke, Magnamite, Scyther, Venusaur, Voltorb, and Porygon. His non-Pokemon roles include Seto Kaiba, Meta Knight, and the narrator on One Piece.

[quote name='Strell']OP actually had some great choices. Impressive.

Other notables include: Cree Summers, Tress MacNeille, Richard Horvitz, John DiMaggio, Tom Kenny, Casey Kasem, Pamela Adlon, Rob Paulson, Maurice LeMarche

Probably forgetting a few.

As others have said, no one will ever top Mel Blanc.[/QUOTE]

cree summner has had an amazing animated career it always amazes me when i hear her voice in something new but i always see her as that hippy chick in a different world.

Since everyone's already said the ones I would say anyone, I'll list a few other lesser knowns.
Tara Strong
Tom Kenny
Grey Delisle
Phil Lamar
Vincent Martella
Thomas Sangstern
Seth McFarlane
Jeremy Shada (plays Finn on Adventure time, the kid is very talented)
Nicky Jones (odd I know but he was a good chowder, and he's done other things)
Let's not forget Dana Snyder and Dwight Schultz since I'm on the subject of Chowder.
And finally, Patrick Warburton, yeah he has one voice but he still can emote, and act well.

[quote name='Fear No Darkness']Steve Blum, Kevin Conroy....[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who's completely sick of Steve Blum? He's in almost everything and he always sounds the same.

Mark Hamil should be on there simply because as a kid when I was watching Batman: The Animated series and found out Joker IS Luke Skywalker my whole perception of life and the universe changed.

One more honorable mention to Mike Judge:

Beavis & Butt-Head - Title characters, Mr. Anderson, Van Driessen, Principal McVicker
King of the Hill - Hank, Boomhauer, Octavio (Dale's "assistant"), Stuart Dooley (the red-haired kid)

BTW, my favorite character voice is Doctor Claw. :twisted:

Didn't see Tim Curry mentioned. He has the coolest voice ever for anything. Off the top of my head he was Skull Master in Mighty Max, the evil smog thing from Ferngully, and the scientist from Gargoyles.

[quote name='Gden']Since everyone's already said the ones I would say anyone, I'll list a few other lesser knowns.

Tara Strong
Phil Lamar[/QUOTE]
Lesser know in name perhaps, but damn do these two get around. Phil Lamar in particular. I'd have a hard time listing shows he hasn't been in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mel Blanc is undeniably tops, but I think Joe Alaskey deserves some recognition for helping to keep many of those WB staples like Bugs and Daffy alive. His Daffy and Plucky Duck (Tiny Toons) are my faves.

Does Stephen Colbert count? He's done some great voice work for SNL's TV Funhouse, Harvey Birdman, etc.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php[/QUOTE]

:roll:

CAG Lifestyle & Off Topic - Talk about anything you like, as long as it's not video game related.

Anyway, no order...

Kevin Conroy - Batman
Steve Blum - Spike Spiegel, Roger Smith, and a whole host of others.
Dan Castellaneta - Homer
Mel Blanc - Looney Toons
Peter Cullen - Optimus Prime

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Oh for god's sake cut him some slack its the off topic forum.

The list is missing Chris Latta, he may be dead but the classic voice of both Starscream and Cobra Commander should be included.[/QUOTE]

So I did a little bit of digging and apparently Chris Latta (billed as Chris Collins) was the original voice of both Mr. Burns and Moe on the Simpsons.

Also, I'm glad others mentioned Kevin Conroy. For me personally, he is the definitive Batman voice.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my long ass list. Scott McNeil, this guy is ridiculously talented. If you want a prime example watch Beast Wars, he voiced Waspinator, Rattrap, Dinobot, and Silverbolt. You can't get voices that are more different than those.

[quote name='Gden']Scott McNeil, this guy is ridiculously talented.[/QUOTE]

He's pretty good. I know him from ReBoot (Hack, Specky, Fax Modem).

On that note, ReBoot's voice director Michael Donovan is pretty good as well (Phong, Mike The TV, Cecil, Al [WHAT???])

Maurice LaMarche for sure, his Orson Welles impression is crazy funny.Plus he did Egon on the Real Ghostbusters.

Jennifer Hale
Tara Strong
Grey DeLisle

Most definitely those three for me. The other two spots change constantly.

Edit: And now thanks to this year's SDCC, I have had the pleasure of meeting two of the three. Just gotta meet Jennifer Hale, and the trinity is complete!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The guy who did Yogi Bear/Huckleberry Hound
2. The guy who did Tigger/Dick Dastardly
3. The guy who did Looney Tunes
4. Most of the Simpsons cast (incl. Albert Brooks and Phil Hartman) tied for fourth
5. The guy who did Donald Duck

H. Mention: The guy who does Brock Sampson; The guy who does (did?) Space Ghost; The guy who does Hank Hill/Beavis/Butthead

Great names mentioned so far, but I am surprised to not see Cam Clarke's name listed by anyone. He's awesome.

[quote name='Ziv']Great names mentioned so far, but I am surprised to not see Cam Clarke's name listed by anyone. He's awesome.[/QUOTE]

The problem with Cam Clarke is you always know it's him, he's good but everytime I here his voice I think, "oh yeah, that's Leonardo." Like Liquid Snake was Leo with an accent.

Same thing with Steven Blum (Wolverine) I hear that guy's voice is in everything. Damn good voice actors but there's just way too much of him.

James Sie ( jackie chan jackie chan adventures , eddie raja uncharted , avatar the last airbender cabbage merchant,)

Sab Shimono ( monk gyatsu avatar the last airbender, the simpsons mr sparkle , uncle jackie chan adventures)

Mako ( uncle iroh avatar the last air bender)

Scatman Crothers ( Hong Kong Phooey , Jazz Transformers)

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']One more honorable mention to Mike Judge:

Beavis & Butt-Head - Title characters, Mr. Anderson, Van Driessen, Principal McVicker
King of the Hill - Hank, Boomhauer, Octavio (Dale's "assistant"), Stuart Dooley (the red-haired kid)

BTW, my favorite character voice is Doctor Claw. :twisted:[/QUOTE]

Nice, I was scrolling down to make sure nobody else mentioned Judge, then I was going to post with indignation what an outrage it was. Mel Blanc is certainly #1 as others have said, but I think Mike Judge is top 5. He's done the voices for some of the longest running cartoons out there.

bread's done
Back