TOS: Dawn of the New World -- IGN: 6.7, GT: 7.9, NP: 8.0

After beating the first one, I've been meaning to get back into my second playthrough with all the bonuses I unlocked. It's probably my favorite GC game ever, I would pick up ToS2 on day one if it came out on the Wii.

Bought the first at release along with Baten Kaitos... Need to finish both of those games..

Glad to hear it announced... I am guessing it will make it over here.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Amazon is reporting this was delayed until November 30th. :cry:[/quote]
tos2 never had a release date, so it can't be delayed, also nov. 30th sounds like a placeholder its a sunday and most games are released on a tuesday.

[quote name='aminaha']tos2 never had a release date, so it can't be delayed, also nov. 30th sounds like a placeholder its a sunday and most games are released on a tuesday.[/quote]

Namco was planning to release it in September, and now it doesn't look like it will come out in September. Sounds like a delay to me, unless you just like being technical, since it wasn't officially announced.

looks like they added something for the US version

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170449&p=44

Namco Bandai also unexpectedly revealed two new Dawn of the New World additions for the North American market: First, loading GameCube clear data from Symphonia randomly unlocks certain items, in-game currency, and other bonuses at the beginning of the game.

[quote name='62t']looks like they added something for the US version

Namco Bandai also unexpectedly revealed two new Dawn of the New World additions for the North American market: First, loading GameCube clear data from Symphonia randomly unlocks certain items, in-game currency, and other bonuses at the beginning of the game.[/QUOTE]

Well, dammit, now I really regret stopping my Symphonia playthrough with just a few hours left. I suppose I could get back to it, but it has been, like, 3 years :lol:.

Namco Bandai also unexpectedly revealed two new Dawn of the New World additions for the North American market: First, loading GameCube clear data from Symphonia randomly unlocks certain items, in-game currency, and other bonuses at the beginning of the game.[/quote]

Nice, I wonder if beating it more than once has any additional advantage.

Crap. I'm still on the ToS first disc, just arriving at Meltokio. I really need to concentrate on this and beat the damn game before Nov. 11.

I'm still worried as to how good this will be... is the team working on this completely new? Or have they made other games before? I know the old Symphonia team made Vesperia.

Oh well, here's hoping for the best.

I still have my clear data so that'll come in handy.:)

[quote name='Vinny']I'm still worried as to how good this will be... is the team working on this completely new? Or have they made other games before? I know the old Symphonia team made Vesperia.

Oh well, here's hoping for the best.

I still have my clear data so that'll come in handy.:)[/quote]
It was made by sort of a mish-mash team, some from Symphonia, some new.

[quote name='botticus']It was made by sort of a mish-mash team, some from Symphonia, some new.[/QUOTE]

The scenario writer is the same, as is the composer and a few other key figures. A lot of other people, including the director, are new.

Namco Bandai also unexpectedly revealed two new Dawn of the New World additions for the North American market: First, loading GameCube clear data from Symphonia randomly unlocks certain items, in-game currency, and other bonuses at the beginning of the game.[/quote]
That's pretty cool. I'll have to check to see if my save is still on my memory card.

My gamecube memory card got wiped. I am so pissed. I had at least 4 play-throughs on that. >_<

Oh well, seems like the bonuses aren't really things I couldn't get from playing the main game itself.

[quote name='Vinny']

This preview is pretty demoralizing too... graphics supposedly look the same and no traditional controller support.[/QUOTE]

For the most part RPGs have never been about pushing the system. That said, the cutscenes are much more cinematic and combat looks to run a little smoother. I'll hold off final judgment, though, until I see the thing with my own two eyes, since it's hard to make assessments with these little videos.

[quote name='joshofstl']For the most part RPGs have never been about pushing the system. That said, the cutscenes are much more cinematic and combat looks to run a little smoother. I'll hold off final judgment, though, until I see the thing with my own two eyes, since it's hard to make assessments with these little videos.[/quote]

:applause:

I lose interest in RPGS within about five minutes but the first TOS was by far one of my favorite Gamecube games. This will be my only Wii purchase since Mario Kart and probably for a long time. I'm excited :D

[quote name='joshofstl']For the most part RPGs have never been about pushing the system. That said, the cutscenes are much more cinematic and combat looks to run a little smoother. I'll hold off final judgment, though, until I see the thing with my own two eyes, since it's hard to make assessments with these little videos.[/QUOTE]

It's just giving me the feeling that they're being lazy with the game...

[quote name='Vinny']It's just giving me the feeling that they're being lazy with the game...[/QUOTE]

That's a reasonable concern. I'm currently playing ToS (for the fourth time!) and it has been interesting to contrast it with what I've seen to date for DotNW. My initial impression is that DotNW runs cleaner and smoother, and that the cutscenes are substantially better. (The cutscenes for ToS were pretty pedestrian.) Like I said, I am going to hold of judgment until I see the final product on my own TV.

I'm sad, the opening anime music is an orchestrated version...not that I really expected anything else.

It's nice that skits are voiced though.

Last edited by a moderator:
New box art!

130770e.jpg

Here's the Japanese boxart for a comparison:

61rI4dycCoL._SS400_.jpg

I think I prefer the Japanese boxart, but the US version is still pretty good.

I'm looking forward to this game, I just hope I still have my ToS save somewhere. Time to go digging through my GC cards. Is anyone planning on picking this up day 1? I think I'm going to hold off as I already have Animal Crossing & Chrono Trigger pre-ordered.

Already got mine preordered, so technically yes. But unless Amazon gives it Release Date Delivery, I'll have to wait a day or two.

I think that technically counts as day one.

Why couldn't this have been released in the summer? The holiday schedule is always too demanding.

I'm holding off on buying it as well, I'm in no rush at the moment with Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Animal Crossing, as well Star Ocean: First Departure.

Definitely will get it when I get through some of these games though.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
Why couldn't this have been released in the summer? The holiday schedule is always too demanding.[/QUOTE]

Heh - I feel the same way and I'm even passing on Fallout 3 and probably Fable 2 simply because there's too much to play now (will get 'em when they hit $30 or lower MSRP). In fact, I'll even have a Tales conflict coming up here. I am finishing DQ IV right now and will start a console RPG when that's done. Thing is, do I play Vesperia or Symphonia? :lol: I have plenty of other ones to choose from as well (Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, and hordes of PS2 RPG's like Nocturne, Persona 3, etc) but I feel I better get at least one of the Tales game played this year.

I just got mine preordered. Now I just have to hunt down a copy of the GameCube version of the Tales of Symphonia.

I should get around finishing my copy of Tales of Symphonia. :lol:

It has been so long though, I might as well start over. I always do that. :wall:

So I went to GameFAQs forums to see if I could find any links to import reviews. Not only did I not find any, but I was reminded the hard way that big spoilers in thread titles are par for the course there. Reading that has drained my hype for this game. fuck GameFAQs.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think it might have to do with the fact that Vesperia bombed big time here.[/quote]
Nah, it was priced that way before Vesperia came out. Whatever the reason, I'm not complaining.

I was going to get this. Then I read about all the awful things this game does, and decided that its not worth my time.

Reused assets from Abyss, and not GC Symphonia? FAIL.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think it might have to do with the fact that Vesperia bombed big time here.[/QUOTE]

and so did just about every Tales not Symphonia

Are there any reviews for this yet?
I'm certain I'll be buying it regardless, as I've enjoyed every Tales game I've played and Symphonia was one of my favorite GC games, but I'd still like to read some reviews before I get it just so I have an idea of what to expect with this one.

As much as I want this, I just don't have much time for games at the moment. Need to pick this and Star Ocean for PSP up at some point though.

bread's done
Back