Toys R Us 3DS: Sunday, buy 1 get 1 half off on all 3DS games

megax11

CAGiversary!
Thought I would post this.

I keep checking here to see if anyone knows of any sweet deals coming next week, for the 3DS, but I see nothing.

I namely am hoping that TRU gives a gift card or something.

I don't know if they are, but I DO KNOW, that TRU is having a promotion with the games next week.

The promo is buy 1 get 1 half off on all 3DS games, starting Sunday.

If anyone catches wind of any places giving away gift cards, feel free to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
This just made me so happy. Can someone please confirm this with a picture so i can cancel my Amazon order of SFIV? I'm just so nervous this is too good to be true.

[quote name='Donut2922']In case this handheld sells out quick, I found TRU to be the cheapest reserve deposit so far ($20 only).[/QUOTE]

Back in the day, my friend and I camped out for a PS3. We both got vouchers for the more expensive ones (64 gig?), but we he returned to pick up his, they only had the cheaper model left. TRU can be flaky with stock. Although, the 3DS doesn't seem to be having the same stock problems as the PS3 did. I don't base that on any empirical data, but simply by the fact that Amazon is still taking preorders.

This would totally change things if this is true (and I do believe these sources who claim it is). I just hope it's happening here in Canada too...

[quote name='nixmahn']Rayman 3D - ubisoft right? Won't that drop to like 20 when zelda comes out anyway?[/QUOTE]

Still, it looks pretty good.

I know im getting Ridge Racer and Pilot Wings for sure there. (Or Rayman if they dont have one of them)

I'm down. This deal is insane for me:

- Pilotwings Resort
- Steel Diver
- Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
- Ridge Racer 3D
- Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

First things first though, gotta try the PM at Best Buy ^_^. Would easily get 6+ games there if it worked (Have a ton of store credit there), otherwise im just getting 4

Has anyone seen the actual ad for this sale? I'm curious if the retail price is shown in the ad... i.e.: "Buy one 3DS game for $39.99, get the second half off."

[quote name='UncleBob']Has anyone seen the actual ad for this sale? I'm curious if the retail price is shown in the ad... i.e.: "Buy one 3DS game for $39.99, get the second half off."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I want to see it as well, if it's available.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Back in the day, my friend and I camped out for a PS3. We both got vouchers for the more expensive ones (64 gig?), but we he returned to pick up his, they only had the cheaper model left. TRU can be flaky with stock. Although, the 3DS doesn't seem to be having the same stock problems as the PS3 did. I don't base that on any empirical data, but simply by the fact that Amazon is still taking preorders.[/QUOTE]

You're right, but when I worked at Toys R Us for the PS3 and Wii launches (before I got a real job), we got stuff from Nintendo in large shipments. We had something like 100 Wiis on launch day, even though about a month earlier people waited all night in a blizzard to preorder. The PS3s, however, would come 2 or 4 at a time. Same with the DS Lites. Those things were way hot back in late 2006, but we'd usually get several boxes of them at a time.

I have a hard time believing that there is going to be an immediate 3DS shortage. Could be wrong--certainly wouldn't be the first time.

[quote name='Achilles00']You're right, but when I worked at Toys R Us for the PS3 and Wii launches (before I got a real job), we got stuff from Nintendo in large shipments. We had something like 100 Wiis on launch day, even though about a month earlier people waited all night in a blizzard to preorder. The PS3s, however, would come 2 or 4 at a time. Same with the DS Lites. Those things were way hot back in late 2006, but we'd usually get several boxes of them at a time.

I have a hard time believing that there is going to be an immediate 3DS shortage. Could be wrong--certainly wouldn't be the first time.[/QUOTE]

As far as the 3DS goes, i think it could go either way easily. It seems like there has been quite a bit of hype behind it, though.....i have literally seen no advertisements on TV for it yet? Plus, 250$ seems a bit more for the average Nintendo gamer now a day to afford (AKA kids). Probally wont start being super rare until games like DoA and Zelda start coming out, though i'd still much prefer getting mine at launch

wow this thread is on fire.

if this deal is true I'll be extremely happy.

But it also sets me back because I'm getting my 3DS at midnight at gamestop, and I won't have any games to play until the next morning!

depending on reviews I'm probably looking at:
Street Fighter IV
Steeldiver
Lego Star Wars
Nintendogs
Rayman

not sure yet, steeldiver might get the boot off that list.

edit:

and if you guys want to read some of my impressions of 7 of the launch games, check my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=20104

[quote name='Penguin1084']wow this thread is on fire.

if this deal is true I'll be extremely happy.

But it also sets me back because I'm getting my 3DS at midnight at gamestop, and I won't have any games to play until the next morning!
[/QUOTE]

AR cards, face raiders, mii rpg (whatever that ends up being) - it's only 10 hours after, and u gotta sleep at some point...

[quote name='mgford11']AR cards, face raiders, mii rpg (whatever that ends up being) - it's only 10 hours after, and u gotta sleep at some point...[/QUOTE]

haha oh I know. but having at least one physical game to play is nice.

also, scouring the internet for some early reviews of games I found the following:

SSFIV:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/10/super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition-review-gief-on-the-go/
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...er-iv-3d-edition-pulls-no-punches-game-review

Steeldiver:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/21/steel-diver-review/

Pilotwings:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/17/pilotwings-resort-review/
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/858516-pilotwings-resort-lands-on-3ds-game-review

Ridge Racer:
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/858684-ridge-racer-3d-drifts-onto-nintendo-3ds-game-review

Nintendogs:
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/858517-nintendogs-cats-laps-it-up-on-3ds-game-review

IGN's 3DS Review Center (Pilotwings and Steeldiver are the only reviews here as of now)
http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1156475p1.html

Rayman 3D Impressions (Ubi has an embargo on reviews until the 25th I believe):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26625398&postcount=93

So.. no one's buying Nintendogs?

I'm going to get Steel Diver and Pilot Wings with this deal, getting SFIV from a friend.

I'll probably keep my preorder at Gamestop for the dogs or maybe I'll just throw down the 20 I was saving and pick up Rayman 3D.

I hope this deal is true, I've got 2 $25 gift cards there. I already ordered Street Fighter on the Capcom website, I wanted that lanyard >_>, so I plan on picking up Super Monkey Ball and Lego Star Wars. But, this deal is so good, I kinda want to pick up something else, but I don't see myself buying anything more than maybe Samurai Warriors, but the hack n slash genre is kinda stale for me now, maybe another Street Fighter so me and my brother can fight each other, lol.

[quote name='Donut2922']In case this handheld sells out quick, I found TRU to be the cheapest reserve deposit so far ($20 only).[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't worry about this selling out. Everyone still has the system available for Pre-Order, with no shipping delays. The $249.99 price of entry has scared more than a few people away. And after fiddling with the 3DS at GDC and Pax East, I actually canceled my pre-order.

Sadly, this isn't that great of a deal. Wait a few weeks and Amazon will have some DOTDs beating this TRU deal.

[quote name='skizomaniak']So.. no one's buying Nintendogs?

I'm going to get Steel Diver and Pilot Wings with this deal, getting SFIV from a friend.

I'll probably keep my preorder at Gamestop for the dogs or maybe I'll just throw down the 20 I was saving and pick up Rayman 3D.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about diving in pretty hard. Pilotwings at gamestops midnight launch; then ssf4($40)+steel diver($20) and ridge racer($40)+nintendogs($20). First combo for sure, the second is up in the air.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']This sucks IMO. Merely on the fact the launch titles suck.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - a bunch of stinkers. I'm curious about Shin Megami Tensei, but that's months away and they probably only added some basic 3D shading to differentiate it from the DS version. Not happy with their offerings so far.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']This sucks IMO. Merely on the fact the launch titles suck.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say all of them suck. SSFIV3D sounds great, Pilotwings or Ridge Racer look fun (plus half off).

Yes! Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver for me! I planned to get them anyways, but now I'll be saving $20 - tax!

I've got Street Fighter and Samurai Warriors like half paid off at Gamestop (thanks to hte 25% credit bonus) I'd consider getting Lego Star Wars and a 4th game at TRU as well, but there's nothing on the launch lineup that really jumps out and wows me.

[quote name='Kylearan']Wouldn't worry about this selling out. Everyone still has the system available for Pre-Order, with no shipping delays. The $249.99 price of entry has scared more than a few people away.[/QUOTE]

More accurately, the launch allocation is just massive. Anyway, I'm hoping Amazon matches this.

I already have my copy of RR3D (delivered yesterday by courier from Amazon), but I would return and reorder with Pilotwings if Amazon offers this deal.

[quote name='RCizzle65']I hope this deal is true, I've got 2 $25 gift cards there. I already ordered Street Fighter on the Capcom website, I wanted that lanyard >_>, so I plan on picking up Super Monkey Ball and Lego Star Wars. But, this deal is so good, I kinda want to pick up something else, but I don't see myself buying anything more than maybe Samurai Warriors, but the hack n slash genre is kinda stale for me now, maybe another Street Fighter so me and my brother can fight each other, lol.[/QUOTE]

Lyk, ssf43d, from all the info ive read, you only need one cart to play local multiplayer

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Lyk, ssf43d, from all the info ive read, you only need one cart to play local multiplayer[/QUOTE]

The one-card local multi is really limited, though -- iirc, the non-cart people can only play as Ryu. Which might be enough for a lot of people, now that I think about it. :p

Wow! I hope this deal is legit! I already have enough credit on my amazon account to get SSFIV (+ $10 credit :whistle2:D), so no need to cancel that.
Pilot Wings is a must for me! As for a 2nd choice..... it will probley be either Monkey Ball or possibly Steeldiver (although the reviews have not been great :whistle2:/).

Also, since no one has posted any Monkey Ball 3D reviews:
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/03/super_monkey_ball_3d_3ds

(kind of a small time site, but the review is written by Corbie from Go Nintendo, who is a good dude and I trust)

This is confirmed and is it in-store only?

Is it only for Sunday, or Monday too?

I STILL need to make it to Best Buy to try out a 3DS, but if I get one, I'd go for:
-Nintendogs: Poodle and friends
-Pilot Wings
-Ridge Racer
-Street Fighter 4

Would definitely get all 4 I think if two were half off... I always buy random junk at console launches :lol:

I don't know though, still super mixed on the system, bad stuff just keeps coming in about it :whistle2:/

Okay, an update to all my previous posts.

First off, one shouldn't have a hard time getting a 3DS from TRU, if they reserved.

I went there today, got to hold a 3DS system box, and a couple of games.

They got all of the Ubisoft games in, plus Ridge Racer. I have them holding me a Rayman and Ridge Racer so far. I am still waiting on SSFIV, Lego Star Wars, Pilotwings, Steel Diver.

About the system, they had four to five boxes of 3DS systems, and from the looks of it, each box held about 6-8. I said so you guys have plenty, he said yeah.

My supervisor friend of mine was there, but not working, he did confirm again that this sunday is B1G1 half off on all 3DS games. He also said that they're giving up to 75 bucks for old DS systems when purchasing the 3DS.

I bought Lego Star Wars III for 360 today, and it came with a 10 dollar gift card, so I look at that as getting one of the two shorter 3DS launch games (Steel Diver or Pilotwings), for 9.99. Not bad, seeing as I planned on paying 54 bucks after tax for Lego Star Wars anyway. A free ten dollars can't hurt.

So, yeah, they're getting games in. Systems are in, and I have some employees on the lookout for the rest of the 4 games I am wanting for launch. Can't wait to play Rayman 2 on the go.

[quote name='megax11']So to add to my post, I was only going to get 2 3DS games at launch, but now that TRU is having a B1G1 half off on all 3DS games, I am leaning toward these titles -

SSFIV - 40
Ridge Racer - 20

Lego Star Wars 3 - 40
Pilotwings - 20 (fitting for such a short game)

Rayman 3D - 40 (loved Rayman 2 on Dreamcast; only system I own it on)
Steel Diver - 20 (fitting for what I hear is a short game) or Monkey Ball 3D

So 6 games, instead of 2. I have friends working inside the TRU I frequent. They are holding me those games as they arrive, so I get first dibs.[/QUOTE]

Damn- you are planning on getting all those titles? Neat.. I will get one-and leaning towards SSFIV or Monkeyball.. The other titles either aren't my thing and I really just want the Zelda and Kid Icarus games--too bad we have a long wait--

Is it just that Pilotwings game or is the 3D in this system jacked up?

I played it for a minute at best buy and it killed me to look at that screen. I turned the 3D off after a minute of straining my eyes trying to focus on it.

[quote name='GnarKills']Is it just that Pilotwings game or is the 3D in this system jacked up?

I played it for a minute at best buy and it killed me to look at that screen. I turned the 3D off after a minute of straining my eyes trying to focus on it.[/QUOTE]

I just played one of these Demo units and I though it looked awesome (and I wear glasses with a pretty strong prescription)! How far where you holding it from your face? Where you keeping the system relatively centered the whole time you where playing?

[quote name='GnarKills']Is it just that Pilotwings game or is the 3D in this system jacked up?[/QUOTE]

After seeing Avatar, I think "3D" in general is jacked up. It's not even 3D...it's like planes of 2D, so it looks flatter.

Anyway here's a demo locator:
http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/events/locator/

But weirdly it only puts one location for me within a 20 mile radius, and it's in the middle of a field :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course it would be even funnier if there actually WAS a 3DS demo station in the middle of a field with no roads to get to it even.

Hopefully tomorrow I can make it to Best Buy and hopefully they'll have one...*sigh* I wish Nintendo wasn't doing this to me. I fucking bought a Wii Nintendo, and I'm even liking a bunch of games for it, but... :lol:

Hey guys, don't force yourself to buy more than you need. I originally planned only to buy plioywings. But with this TRU promo, I'll Force myself to buy one more game because of the promo. And looking at the launch titles, some of the games I want to get, I already have it on as a console version.

Pilotwings Resort - sure, I'll buy it and loved the snes, and n64 version.

Steel Diver - not really, no thanks

Nintendogs + Cats - I have a real dog. And she need more attention.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D - I have ps3 version and TE stick(s)

The Sims 3 - nope

Madden NFL Football - nfl2k fan here.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D - I have ps3 version. All uniforms patched

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - pass

Ridge Racer 3D - the first and second was ok. The forth one was awesome. But ridge racer 10? Pass
Super Monkey Ball 3D - have iPhone version. Thats enough monkey for me
Bust-A-Move Universe -I would rather buy bubble bobble remake than this

Samurai Warriors Chronicles - dynasty warriors 2,3 and was enough to last me a lifetime.

Asphalt 3D - another ridge racer? Pass
Combat Of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D - what ?

Rayman 3D - welcome to 2000
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (Ubisoft) - an iPhone game. Worth a bucks

So out of that whole list, Ill force it and get ssf4 as well. And play old ds games I need to finish playing

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Hey guys, don't force yourself to buy more than you need. I originally planned only to buy plioywings. But with this TRU promo, I'll Force myself to buy one more game because of the promo. And looking at the launch titles, some of the games I want to get, I already have it on as a console version.

Pilotwings Resort - sure, I'll buy it and loved the snes, and n64 version.

Steel Diver - not really, no thanks

Nintendogs + Cats - I have a real dog. And she need more attention.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D - I have ps3 version and TE stick(s)

The Sims 3 - nope

Madden NFL Football - nfl2k fan here.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D - I have ps3 version. All uniforms patched

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - pass

Ridge Racer 3D - the first and second was ok. The forth one was awesome. But ridge racer 10? Pass
Super Monkey Ball 3D - have iPhone version. Thats enough monkey for me
Bust-A-Move Universe -I would rather buy bubble bobble remake than this

Samurai Warriors Chronicles - dynasty warriors 2,3 and was enough to last me a lifetime.

Asphalt 3D - another ridge racer? Pass
Combat Of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D - what ?

Rayman 3D - welcome to 2000
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (Ubisoft) - an iPhone game. Worth a bucks

So out of that whole list, Ill force it and get ssf4 as well. And play old ds games I need to finish playing[/QUOTE]

See, for me it goes like this... I was only going to get 2 games, since they're 40 bucks a pop. However, I wanted to get more. Now with this promo, I can, and here is why I am getting what I am getting -

SSFIV - 40 bucks (love the console version; want one on the go)
Pilotwings - 20 bucks (liked Pilotwings on SNES; 20 bucks seems right for the short length of the game)

Rayman 3D - 40 bucks (love Rayman 2 on Dreamcast; still own it but never played it; now can play on the go, plus beat it for first time)
Steel Diver - 20 bucks (love puzzle solving games, which is what I hear this game deals with, on top of shooting, and simulation all wrapped into one; 20 bucks seems right for the short length of the game)

Lego Star Wars III - 40 bucks (should be a port of the console games, unlike the DS versions of old. Having ports of the console games on the go is a plus for me)
Ridge Racer - 20 bucks (love arcade style racers; have the psp RR, plus RR 6 on 360; so a new RR on the go is a plus for me)

I was originally only getting SSFIV and RR, but seeing as 3 games for the price of one, plus 20 bucks, minus 10 dollars off my purchase, plus reward points from TRU, thus giving me many 5 dollar coupons in the mail = profit and saved money in the long run.

It's like killing many birds with one stone. :)

EDIT: Despite not reading reviews to determine if I will buy a game, I do research using reviews and videos to form my own opinion. Many people get the wrong impression of Steeldiver, due to videos, but every review has been positive about the game.

Check this latest one -

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153582

What I took from that review, is what other reviewers have been stating, in that it is a puzzle game, with shoot-em-up (a favorite genre of mine) elements, mixed with simulation elements.

I don't own a submarine, or underwater game like this, so why not? Others can keep getting the wrong impression, but my gut tells me this will be a cult classic later on.

I think Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars will be the sleeper hit of these launch games. It just seems like it is a perfect fit for the console, if you're into turn-based games, which is a big if. Not real sure what that guy meant by it being an iphone game, then again, I didn't understand half of what that dude was talking about. I plan on getting that and SSFIV for sure.

I had a question regarding Sims 3 though. My fiance is a huge Animal Crossing fan and doesn't really have interest in any of the launch games. Would Sims 3 be a good hold-over for her until the new Animal Crossing comes out for 3DS? The only other game I think she might like is Pilotwings Resort, which I'll probably end up getting.

Could you preorder the games and still have the discount applied, or is it only for those who buy them in store Sunday, with no prior deposit? A bit worried that I might preorder then not be eligible for the promotion when it comes time to pick up the products on Sunday.

Question: During any past B1G1 50% off, could you use gift cards along with the discount? Because I can order a TRU giftcard with reward points, but it would be a waste if I can't even use it.

[quote name='Kylearan']Agreed - a bunch of stinkers. I'm curious about Shin Megami Tensei, but that's months away and they probably only added some basic 3D shading to differentiate it from the DS version. Not happy with their offerings so far.[/QUOTE]

Kind of how I feel. I also think that these launch titles, as most launch titles do, will drop in value rather quickly. Honestly, Nintendogs is the most appealing title so far. Pilotwings might be cool, but I don't know how much I'd actually play it.

the more reviews I read point to pilotwings being pretty good and steeldiver being a very slow paced game (which I think we all knew)..

I think I might hold off on steeldiver and get pilotwings instead. I can see where the game is fun, and the visuals in pilotwings are gorgeous.

I posted earlier that I'm gonna buy plioywings. But I don't even that. Brcuase 3d on the go totally new for us gamers. I wouldve love for nintendo to keep the 3ds game region free because I wanted to try Jap import games. Like professor Layton game which I think that's at least 18 months away considering there is yet release the last ds professor Layton game here in the states and the movie. And that professor Layton, ace attorney mash up is I think two yrs away before getting released here in the state.

And as for ppl complaining there isn't compelling software to play during the launch window, you got to understand from ppl who remember the launch titles for snes, playstation, n64 when there were only two games at launch. But even back then, there was that killer game that ekpt you satisfied for quiet sometime

Ok let's all be honest. We all wanted Ocarina at launch but we're not getting it. Sure the titles are $40 and sure they may not all be worth it and sure they will drop in price quick, but to be honest I just don't care. I'm still in or 4 games at this price (SFIV, Nintendogs, Pilotwings, Rayman). I really want to experience the new tech and maybe even make a couple review videos. For the people trying to tell the people with cash to burn that the launch titles suck: why are you bothering even posting? Some people are excited for the new tech and while the system is more a promise of things to come than an exciting launch, we still want to pick up a couple games at a great launch day deal. So stop saying the games all suck, we know they aren't all masterpieces, just let us plan our purchases in peace.

[quote name='SteveGo']I think Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars will be the sleeper hit of these launch games. It just seems like it is a perfect fit for the console, if you're into turn-based games, which is a big if. Not real sure what that guy meant by it being an iphone game, then again, I didn't understand half of what that dude was talking about. I plan on getting that and SSFIV for sure.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm assuming he's dissing the graphics that were shown on some of the screenshots and the fact that simple strategy titles are easy to make on the phones (and relatively compatible w/ the touch playstyle). Guess we'll see if it becomes a hit or a quick cash-in, I'm betting on the former. I do have a little bigger expectation out of the x-com dev than some kids in their basement selling $1 tank strategy titles, and I'll pay for the premium any day if it's better quality entertainment.

Too bad UBI set their game releases to 3/22 for some reason. Can't cancel my Amazon GR preorder because of that...

bread's done
Back