Toys R Us 3DS: Sunday, buy 1 get 1 half off on all 3DS games

megax11

CAGiversary!
Thought I would post this.

I keep checking here to see if anyone knows of any sweet deals coming next week, for the 3DS, but I see nothing.

I namely am hoping that TRU gives a gift card or something.

I don't know if they are, but I DO KNOW, that TRU is having a promotion with the games next week.

The promo is buy 1 get 1 half off on all 3DS games, starting Sunday.

If anyone catches wind of any places giving away gift cards, feel free to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3DS and Pilotwings on reserve at Gamestop. I don't really want any of the 3DS launch titles. Now I see this TRU deal and I think for $20 more, I could have 2 games I don't really want. :)

The deal is Sunday only? I work across the interstate from a TRU. If I could wait until Monday, I'd probably go check it out. I don't feel like driving 20-30 miles with $3.50 gas just to save $20 on a game I probably don't really want.

This thread pretty much convinced me no company produces high quality launch titles anymore (barring a few exceptions) because the excitement just drives people to buy what ever is out.

I am glad most of you can justify purchases because you yourself want the game. But to me non of these games warrant a hefty $40 tag. I usually buy systems at launch without question. But after 360 with my console burning out to RRoD I held off on hasty console purchases because A. Launch games usually suck and B. (especially with Nintendo handhelds) a more efficient and updated model will be released in about a year to coincide with an inevitable price drop.

I had pre-ordered a 3DS over a month ago and was excited. But I cancelled it because right now not one of these games peak my interest. But congrats to those who get one and enjoy it.

[quote name='Hyperfludd']Question: During any past B1G1 50% off, could you use gift cards along with the discount? Because I can order a TRU giftcard with reward points, but it would be a waste if I can't even use it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, you can use gift cards and reward coupons, but any other coupon probably wouldn't work, a lot of the coupons now don't work with video games.

well looks like ill be canceling my game pre orders with GS and head to TRU. I have SSFIV,Pilot Wings,and Steel Diver on reserve. I can pick up 2 or 3 more games. Sweetness.

Thats a tempting deal... but I'm not even sure if I want two 3DS games. SSFIV will probably be the only title I buy and just wait for Zelda in a couple of months.

It's times like these where I really hate the fact that I can't drive due to a medical condition and having horrible vision. I believe there are 6 launch titles I'm interested in, and Ridge Racer 3D already shipped yesterday from Amazon for some reason. I guess I'll have to hope they match, then honor it on anything.

This sounds pretty good, does anybody know if you can get 2 of the same game? I just wanna be sure, me and a friend are gonna go in on street fighter.

[quote name='hcop']Could you preorder the games and still have the discount applied, or is it only for those who buy them in store Sunday, with no prior deposit? A bit worried that I might preorder then not be eligible for the promotion when it comes time to pick up the products on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that if you can reserve them, the discount will be applied when they ring them up. I was planning on doing this today, but my TRU is only taking reservations for the systems, not the games. I'm probably just going to grab my two games Saturday night. Then I'll get them discounted at TRU throughout the week and return those unopened ones to Gamestop.

I wonder how much, if anything, they're giving for a launch DS.

I'm seriously debating whether I should call and see if my local TRU has any units available to preorder and just buy it there while I buy games, rather than waiting til the next day from Amazon. 12 bucks tax vs a day's wait and 4 bucks for next day shipping...

[quote name='Graff^']I wonder how much, if anything, they're giving for a launch DS.

I'm seriously debating whether I should call and see if my local TRU has any units available to preorder and just buy it there while I buy games, rather than waiting til the next day from Amazon. 12 bucks tax vs a day's wait and 4 bucks for next day shipping...[/QUOTE]

Only $12 tax? What fantasy land do you live in?

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']So nobody knows if this deal is good online or not? This site is fucking worthless.[/QUOTE]
All the psychics are on vacation, sorry!

has this been confirmed yet? I'm all over this like a fat guy over a doughnut.... wait.. I'm fat... Doughnut ....hmmmmmm. LOL my wallet is gonna kill me! .. wait it's my wife that's gonna kill me. yikes

[quote name='bigant262']Yea, you can use gift cards and reward coupons, but any other coupon probably wouldn't work, a lot of the coupons now don't work with video games.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that, however it seems it's all for naught. I placed an order for the $25 TRU card, and it slammed in my face: "Expected Delivery - April 4th" Jeez! I still appreciated your response though.

[quote name='SteveGo']Only $12 tax? What fantasy land do you live in?[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had a brain fart and did tax for 150, not 250. That makes the decision a bit easier, I can wait the extra day. Though Pilotwings and Steel Diver will be taunting me the whole time.

[quote name='sunghost']I saw that as well. Hopefully a few more reviews will be posted before the 27th. If it's that bad, I guess I'll buy Ridge Racer or Ghost Recon instead.[/QUOTE]

I think the ubisoft games are embargoed until the 25th. So we should see some reviews before launch which will be good.

Actually, I'm finding more and more reviews popping up with pretty negative impressions of Monkey Ball and Steel Diver. Maybe I'll pick up Nintendogs for the girlfriend and wait to pick Steel Diver up from the bargain bin...

Rayman looks more and more like its going to be a wash. May have to switch to Steel Diver as my 4th game...

If Ridge Racer gets good reviews i'll have to get that and something else... I'm already buying Pilot Wings and Ghost Recon.

I'm leaning towards SSF4 as a definite even though I suck at fighting games. It just looks like too nice of a port to pass up plus you get the bonus of online play.

I can't decide between Pilotwings and Ridge Racer as a second game. I'm a fan of both series and both have their pros and cons so we'll see. Early reviews for both games seem to be decent to good, too.

IGN's Ridge Racer review is up.. and they state it has 4 player online play. If this is true I'm definitely buying it. Doesn't make sense though, I thought it was confirmed to not have online play? Maybe IGN slipped up with their review?

[quote name='Graff^']I wonder how much, if anything, they're giving for a launch DS.

I'm seriously debating whether I should call and see if my local TRU has any units available to preorder and just buy it there while I buy games, rather than waiting til the next day from Amazon. 12 bucks tax vs a day's wait and 4 bucks for next day shipping...[/QUOTE]

TRU trade in value is $10. Someone traded one in my store this past weekend.

^^^ Typically, yes, links are allowed as long as they are not:

spam
un-trusted websites
irrelevant to the topic

The joystiq link would be fine :) Use the "link" tool, though, so it doesn't stretch the page.

[quote name='dgwillia006']http://i.joystiq.com/2011/03/22/buy-one-3ds-game-get-one-half-off-at-toys-r-us-this-sunday/

On a side note, i heard a bunch of 3DS games came out today....might make them harder to find around Sunday[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if we are holding the copies at my store or not, but they were never put out. So they might just be holding all the games for launch. And man, I'm having a hard time picking out games that I want to get lol.

[quote name='bigant262']I'm not sure if we are holding the copies at my store or not, but they were never put out. So they might just be holding all the games for launch. And man, I'm having a hard time picking out games that I want to get lol.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I've cut it down to:

Rayman 3D
Lego Star Wars
Ridge Racer
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

I don't want to get more than 2. If Rayman 3D ends up being a crappy port I won't get that. Ghost Recon looks good but it's a game that could've easily been made for DS. Ridge Racer and Lego Star Wars don't have online play.. yeah it's a pretty tough decision lol.

Personally im going with...

SSF4
Samurai Warriors
Pilot Wings
Ridge Racer

If i finish Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm in time to trade in there, i might also get Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon

And does TRU accept trade-in's instore? Or is it only through mail

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dgwillia006']Personally im going with...

SSF4
Samurai Warriors
Pilot Wings
Ridge Racer

If i finish Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm in time to trade in there, i might also get Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon

And does TRU accept trade-in's instore? Or is it only through mail[/QUOTE]

Yea you can do trade ins in the store. Just make sure you have the original case, manual and the game. lol. Otherwise without even the manual, they won't take it. And I think I'm going to get SSF4 at Gamestop at midnight, then on Sunday going to get Lego Star Wars, and maybe another one and then go half with a co worker for 2 Samurai Warriors.

[quote name='megax11']So to add to my post, I was only going to get 2 3DS games at launch, but now that TRU is having a B1G1 half off on all 3DS games, I am leaning toward these titles -

SSFIV - 40
Ridge Racer - 20

Lego Star Wars 3 - 40
Pilotwings - 20 (fitting for such a short game)

Rayman 3D - 40 (loved Rayman 2 on Dreamcast; only system I own it on)
Steel Diver - 20 (fitting for what I hear is a short game) or Monkey Ball 3D

So 6 games, instead of 2. I have friends working inside the TRU I frequent. They are holding me those games as they arrive, so I get first dibs.[/QUOTE]

I still don't think I could spend $180 on 6 handheld games. I'd almost rather put that $180 towards a 2nd 3DS and wait for better titles to come out.

That's easy - do the trade-in's at BB and apply it towards the cost of the 3DS at BB, then buy the games (on sale) for cash at TRU. :D

[quote name='w7w7w7w7w7']I just played one of these Demo units and I though it looked awesome (and I wear glasses with a pretty strong prescription)! How far where you holding it from your face? Where you keeping the system relatively centered the whole time you where playing?[/QUOTE]

I'm 6'2 and best buy has it where you cant pick it up or anything so it was probably about 3 feet or so from my eyes. The 3d just made is look like there was 2 of everything instead of being "3d" or adding any depth to it. I was centered to it. Would it be the distance or maybe the angle of standing over it?

[quote name='GnarKills']I'm 6'2 and best buy has it where you cant pick it up or anything so it was probably about 3 feet or so from my eyes. The 3d just made is look like there was 2 of everything instead of being "3d" or adding any depth to it. I was centered to it. Would it be the distance or maybe the angle of standing over it?[/QUOTE]

Probably both. 3 feet is too far away, and you need to hold it at a certain angle to see the 3D effects, which blows for a handheld which you KNOW you're going to move around while holding in your hands and playing.

[quote name='GnarKills']I'm 6'2 and best buy has it where you cant pick it up or anything so it was probably about 3 feet or so from my eyes. The 3d just made is look like there was 2 of everything instead of being "3d" or adding any depth to it. I was centered to it. Would it be the distance or maybe the angle of standing over it?[/QUOTE]

It's on a magnet. Don't be afraid to slide that shit upwards and then pull it off.

I went to Walmart today and they had some games on sale already. They had Madden, Ghost Recon, Rayman, and Sims 3 on the shelf for sale.

[quote name='jhuehne']Does anyone know if this B1G1 50% off is going to be in the weekly ad for TRU? Anyone have an early scan of it?[/QUOTE]

Yea, should be in the ad this week, its not an unadvertised sale. And people aren't allowed to post scans of it on this website.

[quote name='abhinav']Hopefully I can find Ridge Racer and SF4 at TRU on Sunday.[/QUOTE]
You think it will be hard to find, or soldout? I was thinking about getting these 2 titles as well.

[quote name='TheNeck']You think it will be hard to find, or soldout? I was thinking about getting these 2 titles as well.[/QUOTE]

My concern is low shipments of launch titles (many DS launch games games sold out while the actual system were still available.) Personally ive had bad luck at finding popular games at TRU. Im not sure how well Ridge Racer will sell be but I expect SF4 move copies.

The earthquake in Japan might effect stock as well, my local Gamestop said that they were getting fewer systems/games then expected but that's if you trust Gamestop employes...

[quote name='abhinav']My concern is low shipments of launch titles (many DS launch games games sold out while the actual system were still available.) Personally ive had bad luck at finding popular games at TRU. Im not sure how well Ridge Racer will sell be but I expect SF4 move copies.

The earthquake in Japan might effect stock as well, my local Gamestop said that they were getting fewer systems/games then expected but that's if you trust Gamestop employes...[/QUOTE]

which I don't. but thats a whole different story.

I don't expect launch titles to be in limited quantities, but with the situation in japan, I kind of wouldn't be surprised.

and for Walmart selling those titles already, it's kind of expected. There aren't any street dates on them, so it doesn't come as a surprise. I remember getting Red Steel, Raving Rabbids, and Monkey Ball about a week before I even had my Wii :p

So just to be sure: there aren't going to be any K-marts open at midnight for the 3DS launch? I'm going to be in NYC this weekend, and I'd love to get a 3DS for my flight home on Sunday.

bread's done
Back