Toys R' Us refuses to give me a refund!

EvilAkana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
(I didn't know which forum to post this under, so move it if need be.)

Anyways, here's my story:

On Black Friday, Toys R’ Us had a deal in which when you purchased one game at full price, you can get another one for 5 dollars. There was a selection of about 9 games, and the ad stated that if you buy ANY ONE GAME in the selection, you can get ANY ONE OF THE GAMES in the selection for 5 dollars. So you can buy two of the same, or mix and match. There was no limit to this deal. So my friend and I waited in the long, long line and finally got up to the cashier, and we bought 4 copies of Halo: Reach, and 4 copies of Fable 3. We bought them together, and split the transaction over 2 credit cards. We planned to give them away as gifts to family and friends, but it turned out that a lot of them had already bought or been given these games, so we only gave out four as presents. We had four games left, 3 copies of Halo: Reach and 1 copy of Fable 3. I tried to sell them, but they just weren't selling with all the deals out there during Christmas. So, I decided to go ahead and return them with my receipt, to receive a full refund of what I paid for them. The games were unopened, and in brand-new condition. I paid $139 for FOUR games. ($60 + $5 + $60 + $5 + tax = $139) I wanted to receive this amount back onto my credit card, and not a penny more. I went back to the Toys R Us that I purchased these from, and tried to refund them. They told me they could only give me $80 for the four games. Why? Because of the way the computer system rang up the games. Since the person who originally rung them up did it in pairs, they could apparently only be refunded in pairs. And since we had an uneven amount of games (3 Halo, 1 Fable) they could only give us $80. (The system rang it up as $60 + $5 + $5 + $5) Now, I understand that computers aren’t perfect, and that these kind of errors are going to happen, but the manager REFUSED to even agree that it was an error. He claimed that I was trying to get more money back than I had paid for it, which is simply untrue, and impossible. I paid $278 for 8 games that were on sale. I wanted to return 4 of them. I wanted a refund for $139, which was half of the price I paid for the 8 games. But the manager would not see it my way, and refused to even understand that this was a simple computer error. So I left, and called the Toys R’ Us corporate hotline. They said they would look into it, and would email me back. Almost two weeks later, I heard nothing. I decided to go back to the Toys R’ Us, and try to explain my case again, but to no avail. The guest service associate this time told me that she AGREED with the system.

At this point, I was steamed. This had gotten to the point of absurdity. I paid for a product, had my receipt, and Toys R’ Us WILL NOT give me a refund for the full price that I had paid. I called the Toys R’ Us hotline once again, and they said to go BACK to the store, and then call the hotline while I was on the premises, so that me, the corporate rep, and the manager could all be on the phone together. So I went, and did so. The manager told me to tell the rep to call the store phone. So I told the rep this, and hung up. The manager walked into the back office, without me, and came back ten minutes later and said there was nothing he can do. I called the corporate rep back right then and there, and he said the same thing. They couldn’t do a thing. Literally nothing. They wouldn’t even agree that I was losing money on this, that this was unfair, that it was all because of a computer error. Why was I left out of the conversation? What had been said in that back office without my voice?

Worst customer service, ever. I've sent them an email explaining my situation, but who knows what that will do. This is ridiculous, that I can't get the money I paid because of a silly computer system.

Is there anything else I can do? I figured someone here would have an idea, or way to figure this out. If not, then at least I can let everyone know how crappy Toys R' Us is to people who want a simple refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even according to their pairing logic, you should be able to return 1 Halo Reach and 1 Fable 3 to get $65 back. Yeah, I agree that this is kind of goofy, because if the games are all equal value and you are returning an even number of them it's not like you're getting full value back for a game and picking up the $5 one without any overhead.

Did your receipt show that you paid $60 each for two Halo Reach and two Fable II and then $5 each for the remaining games? If so, it's not a computer issue and you'd need to return 2x Halo Reach and 2x Fable II to get the $139.00 back. The games aren't interchangeable commodities.

If your receipt shows that you paid $60 for two of the games you're trying to return and then $5 for the other two, you shouldn't have an issue getting a refund.

In any case, the best possible way to escalate an issue like the one you're having is to simply say the following sentence with a very serious voice tone:

"I'll need the name and phone number of your District or Regional Manager."

Escalating to a corporate lackey via an 800 number doesn't do anything but confirm to the store Manager that he or she is following the correct policy and procedure. However, if you actually escalate to someone capable of making real decisions, then real decisions get made.

eBay, bro. If TRU insists on stiffing you, you're going to have to take a different route to recover your money. Reach, regular edition, seems to be going for between $30-40 while Fable looks to be about the same. Let's go the low end and say you get $30 each. $120 minus paypal/eBay fees. You're still doing better than what TRU is offering, if they continue to deny you a full refund.

How are the games priced on the receipt? Given what's going on, I'm guessing that the Fable's were all the $60 games and the Halos were all $5. If that is the case, I'm not too surprised that their system won't let you get full price for 'em. At the very least, you should be able to return one pairing for the $65. The other two - might just have to sell 'em at Amazon and eat $20 as a "lesson learned", or sell on eBay or Gamestaq and possibly recoup everything.

At this point you might be able to find the information for a PR rep or something and talk to them. Say a VP or director. The other thoughts would be would they settle for a giftcard for the amount $139 instead of a refund?

For the record I agree with TRU and the register. This is assuming you bought the 4 fables together and the 4 halo's together. Ie Fable + fable =$65 Halo + halo =$65.

The condition was buy one get one, in order for the deal to be valid you need to return both, wich your not doing. So to return on fable you would return the $5 item and not the $60 item. However for the Halo it would be one $60 item and one $5 item. The second Halo would be the $5 item you are returning. So I get the $80 they offered.

I totally understand from the consumer point of view you see them as the $60 games. I understand there is no way you could have predicted the outcome and bought the 4 games in a way that would make the receipt in your favor, so I'm sympathetic to your cause.

[quote name='Pirate331']eBay, bro. If TRU insists on stiffing you, you're going to have to take a different route to recover your money. Reach, regular edition, seems to be going for between $30-40 while Fable looks to be about the same. Let's go the low end and say you get $30 each. $120 minus paypal/eBay fees. You're still doing better than what TRU is offering, if they continue to deny you a full refund.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't appear they are stiffing him.

Without being able to see the receipt of the purchase this is what happened...

They bought 8 games, 4 Halo's and 4 Fable's.

Depending how they were rung up, it could be any combination of $60 + $5 x's 4.

He tried to return four games, 3 Halo's and 1 Fable. And the refund showed up as $60 + $5 + $5 + $5.

That means the original transaction could have had all Fables being bought for full price and the Halo's were bought for $5 each.

That would make the refund accurate as he got back what he paid for those games.

You said that you paid for these using 2 different credit cards. Are all the games on one receipt or did they give you 2 receipts.

[quote name='air596']You said that you paid for these using 2 different credit cards. Are all the games on one receipt or did they give you 2 receipts.[/QUOTE]

One transaction, two cards.

[quote name='Jobbercho']You took advantage of a deal TRU had, tried to make some money from it and failed. Lesson learned.[/QUOTE]
If thats the case, which he didnt at all mention, the lesson learned should be to buy better shit to resell.

However he said what the purpose of it was, but unfortunately you have no reading comprehension skills and are an asshole.

I ran into trouble with TRU once too.

Couple years ago, they were selling RE5 with I think a $20 gift card. I kind of forgot about the gift card for a while and ended up trying to use it for an online order the same day it was set to expire. I placed the order at about 10:30 PM, and it said the card was expired even though the back of the card said it was good until midnight the day of expiration.

I called the corporate number and they said it didn't work because it expired at midnight eastern time (the card didn't specify the time zone), which was 10:00 PM my time. I argued that it was still before midnight my time and that since the card didn't specify a time zone, I should be allowed to use it. They just referred me back to the store. I talked to the manager there, and she was just a bitch about it and told me I was SOL.

I was so frustrated I literally haven't shopped at TRU since then despite several game deals I otherwise would've jumped on. They saved $20 by stiffing me on the gift card but lost a couple hundred by losing my business. Not that it makes a dent in their bottom line, but it's the best I can do.

There crazy computer system apparently has rang up all the Fable 3 games in full price while all the Halo Reach was rang up as $5 each.

That really does suck ad the best you can do is go on FB to their page and post, show a picture of the receipt (minus the account and name) and the ad. Physically write the Toy's R Us company with a copy of the receipt and a copy of the ad. I know writting on FB's website doesn't seem much but they actually have a lot people view their pages and wouldn't want to look bad. It won't hurt to try...

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']One transaction, two cards.[/QUOTE]

That totally makes a difference. What does the receipt show as value paid next to the games?

To be fair if the receipt shows that you bought 2 games at $60 and two games at $5 I can see your argument.

I wonder if they will give you full credit for 1 of your last halo games then?

Since thats what it sounds like.
If so. Return the 1 halo for full price. and ebay the rest.

So you would have around 65 from halo
and then ebay 3x fables for 30.00 = 90 - fees = 78 +65 = 143

[quote name='EvilIA']That totally makes a difference. What does the receipt show as value paid next to the games?

To be fair if the receipt shows that you bought 2 games at $60 and two games at $5 I can see your argument.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter how much he specifically paid for them, all that matters is the price of the games being returned.

If the receipt says...

Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5

And he returned 3 of those Halos, he would get the $5 back for each copy since that was the price and the one Fable III for $59.99 .

It doesn't matter if he only paid half of the total, he would only get back the money for the product that was returned. The only problem he would have was determining which card the money would go back on to.

What you need is for a TRU employee to exercise Logic, and critical thinking ability. If they could do that they wouldn't be working at TRU.

I would just go to the Zoo and piss on a giraffe. You won't get your money back but it should make you feel better.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']It doesn't matter how much he specifically paid for them, all that matters is the price of the games being returned.

If the receipt says...

Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5

And he returned 3 of those Halos, he would get the $5 back for each copy since that was the price and the one Fable III for $59.99 .

It doesn't matter if he only paid half of the total, he would only get back the money for the product that was returned. The only problem he would have was determining which card the money would go back on to.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure even if that is what the receipt says, if he returned 4 copies of Fable III he would not get back $239.96.

So, first off, be very careful with your attitude. You may feel that they owe you a refund, but if you walk into the store and demand it, the cashier may feel like you're pushing them around and be uncooperative. Playing it humble is almost always the better approach to trying to get the cashier or manager to do what you want.

My guess at this point is that you're simply not going to be able to get the refund you think you should. It could have been a limited promotion from the publishers that they can't get refunded for. What you should do is go in and find out what they are willing to refund you for. Can you return just the $60 game? Can you return one pair of games for $65 + tax? Getting them to meet you half way will reduce how much money you stand to lose, so compromise, even if that means a small loss on your part.

On a sidenote, you bought a lot of copies of only 2 games putting yourself into this awkward position. If you had bought half as many copies, you wouldn't have run into this problem. You need to think more carefully next time around, especially considering how many new games people tend to buy in the fall, and how many are given as presents. They may be refusing to refund your money, assuming that you tried to resell them all for profit online and are only returning what you were unable to sell for a profit, expecting them to eat the cost. Companies really tend to dislike people acting as resellers, and expecting that they will be willing to refund for any items that couldn't be sold for enough of a profit.

The receipt looks like this:

Halo - 60
Halo - 5
Fable 3 - 60
Fable 3 - 5
Halo - 60
Halo - 5
Fable 3 - 60
Fable 3 - 5

Visa - 139
Mastercard -139

I tried it in every order, if you try to return just one game, it will give you 5 dollars. If you return one Halo, and one Fable, it's 10 dollars. If you return two Halos, it will be 65 dollars, because they rung them up in pairs. It's such a silly system, I'm just trying to get what I paid, and as you can see from the receipt, I have both games at both prices, but the computer is ancient and won't allow this.

OP can only get back the exact amount next to each game in the receipt that he's returning.

OP needs to post his receipt so we can see what's going on. I don't think the register would let anyone adjust the refund on a return.

If TRU refuses to resolve this, the only recourse for the OP is to resell the 4 games for a better price than what TRU could offer for the refund. eBay is having a no listing fee promotion until tomorrow - list them with $35 starting price and if they sell, he pays 9% final value fee plus paypal fee. Better than doing fixed price of $35 and pay 15% fee + paypal fee.

well if it said

GAME A 60
GAME B 5

you only paid 5 for game B so if you return 3 copies of GAME B your only going to get 15 back

then again maybe they are sick of people who tried to #$#$# them over and buy more then one copy of a game and then return it when they no longer want it .

and how can a rececpt look like that.. they wouldnt allow you to put 2 credit cards on a single purchase

if you think that sucks i returned a broken game to gamefly and they sent me the same copy as a replacement LOL

As we know, you used the promo four times, which created four pairs of games. In this case, (2xHalo)(2xFable)(2xHalo)(2xFable)...or at least that's what it looks like from the receipt. Returning the 2 Halos just returned one combo. The problem with returning the remaining Fable and Halo is that he has no (Fable,Halo) pair, so each one defaults to the lower price in their respective combos, as if you were returning each game individually.

What OP is trying to do is switch out part of one pair for another game in another pair...it would work in this system, but only because they were evenly priced...if they weren't, then there'd be room for exploitation, which is why they probably don't allow it.

Also, because it's past the 45 day return period, I can no longer go back and attempt a return. Corporate or eBay is my only option, and with Halo Reach for 32 bucks on Amazon, I don't know how I'll break even out of this.

Perhaps the best course of action now is to return 2 Halos for $65 refund, and then to resell the remaining Halo and Fable to minimize the loss.

So what would have happened if you returned one set of games and then came back later if you returned the second set?

I dislike my local TRU, they are pushy at the registers and have horrible policies, they make returns on anything "electronic" difficult, which can be considered to be almost every toy that takes batteries since almost all toys are electronic in some way these days. Even if you have a receipt you can be denied a return for an item that is not working properly.

Plus it takes forever to check out there because they have like one register open and a huge line and they will not open another register until its too late.

That and higher prices on toys than anywhere else makes me want to stay away, if I am buying a toy as a gift its going to be from Walmart where I know it can be returned at least with a receipt if it doesn't work properly (it sucks to give a toy as a gift and find out its broken out of the package).

While I don't want to see another retailer go out of business I don't know how TRU is still in business, the only reason they are in business is because there are no other toy stores left, they have a captive gift-giving audience.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I guess chargeback on the creditcard is not an option?[/QUOTE]It's what I'd do at this point, though having the CC company understand what the OP's issue is going to be tough, since TRU is trying to return the games on how the receipts say they should be returned.

It's TRU's fault on how their system works, though they should just make each item ring out at 50% of the combined price, $32.50, and that would be that.

does the receipt indicate any where on it that the sets of 2 games were a package deal and only could be returned together. I cannot recall if Toys R US does that, I think sometimes Best Buy receipts say something about package deals and the fact that they can only be returned together. I primarily go to toys R us for toys for my kids and have never had a problem returning something, even when its open.

OP, how the hell did you not recognize that the transaction was rung up in same pairs, i.e. Halo full price + Halo $5, Fable full price + Fable $5? It's indicated on the receipt according to your last post.

You should have AT LEAST returned 2 of the Halos for a $65 refund while waiting for "word" from corporate or whatnot.

If it's past the return period, that's a BIG fuck up on your part. I personally hope you still have time to correct this.

Now with that said, personally I would have worked a different angle once I found out I would have to be returning pairs in order to get the full refund I was due (which I would've known just by looking at the receipt and how the transaction was rung up). I would have tried my best to exchange the extra Halo for a Fable, showing them the receipt and saying something along the lines of "I meant to get another of this blah blah blah", anything to get that exchange done.

I know Toys R Us, at least some locations, have cracked down on game exchanging due to people using placeholders/"preorders" during B2G1 etc., but still. That would have probably been your only hope in getting a full refund. Perhaps next time, separate the transactions out, or pair them differently (i.e. Halo + Halo, Halo + Fable, Fable + Fable, Fable + Halo).

EDIT: Caltab, every TRU receipt from recent such deals that I can remember does indeed note the discounted return value if not returned as a full set.

I can see what posters are saying, but I hate Toys R Us with all of my heart, and their customer service sucks ass. So, I have decided that no one in this thread wins. I'm sorry.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's what I'd do at this point, though having the CC company understand what the OP's issue is going to be tough, since TRU is trying to return the games on how the receipts say they should be returned.

It's TRU's fault on how their system works, though they should just make each item ring out at 50% of the combined price, $32.50, and that would be that.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, there has to be risk to doing a chargeback. It's one thing to do a charge back for an item you never received, but if he does a charge back and keeps the game, then doesn't that border on the verge of fraud? If that worked and there was no recourse from TRU, what would stop people from doing charge backs on legitimate purchases?

I'd be really careful about doing a chargeback if I were you. Because even if you felt that you'd do right by doing the charge back and returning the 4 games to them, they can't just accept the games. You have merchandise you paid for and Toys R Us technically hasn't done anything wrong. The system might be screwy but OP wouldn't be in this situation if he returned 2 halos and 2 fables or 4 halos.

Sometimes you win some, and sometimes you lose some.

The key to this situation would have been to get gift receipts for all the games. That way you could get $65 for the one set and trade the other 2 games for 2 other games and sell those.

[quote name='DV8']Uhhh, there has to be risk to doing a chargeback. It's one thing to do a charge back for an item you never received, but if he does a charge back and keeps the game, then doesn't that border on the verge of fraud? If that worked and there was no recourse from TRU, what would stop people from doing charge backs on legitimate purchases?

I'd be really careful about doing a chargeback if I were you. Because even if you felt that you'd do right by doing the charge back and returning the 4 games to them, they can't just accept the games. You have merchandise you paid for and Toys R Us technically hasn't done anything wrong. The system might be screwy but OP wouldn't be in this situation if he returned 2 halos and 2 fables or 4 halos.

Sometimes you win some, and sometimes you lose some.[/QUOTE]As I said in my post, it's a hard situation to have the CC company understand why the OP would have a valid case for a chargeback. TRU's system is the real issue in this case, though the way the OP purchased the games in the pairs he picked out is also part of the issue.

The register is doing what it's supposed to be doing, and I think the OP isn't going to get any satisfaction unless he ends up with getting the "difference" back. I think he might end up managing to get back the "difference" on a gift card, though it would take an understanding manager to get that done. Either that or a call to TRU Corporate Relations.

I think to get a full refund, you'd have to return them ALL. I think. Just like if you'd did a B2G1 at gamestop, and return the two you paid for...

At this point out of the return windows I'm not sure what can be done. If possible I would return the two you can get the full refund for, then talk to them about the different on a card. Often times places will balk and get defensive on refunds but are very willing to give gift cards. They are not refundable for cash and it insures (usually) a return visit for a future purchase.

I think many CC companies will get involved in a return dispute, but I don't think they would allow a charge back, unless they side with the consumer.

be more careful when you buy things on sale

a lot of places wont even let you return things that you got on sale

I have no pity. You took advantage of a sale to try to make a profit and got burned. Sure there reciept system might suck, but then again it was never designed for people to buy 8 copies of a game to flip.

Why should toysrus sell you inventory on sale and let you try to flip it and then give you a full refund if you can't sell it?

[quote name='Brian9824']I have no pity. You took advantage of a sale to try to make a profit and got burned. Sure there reciept system might suck, but then again it was never designed for people to buy 8 copies of a game to flip.

Why should toysrus sell you inventory on sale and let you try to flip it and then give you a full refund if you can't sell it?[/QUOTE]

This. Quite frankly they never should have sold eight copies of two games to one person in the first place.

[quote name='Survivalism']This. Quite frankly they never should have sold eight copies of two games to one person in the first place.[/QUOTE]

It was 2 people I believe?

I thought it was 4 copies each of 2 different games (8 total). Either way it was during black friday, if i was working that day I would have enforced 1 copy per person to save copies for other customers.

Just sell the games on goozex. You should get 1000 points per game, which is the equivalent of $50 in points. Then buy a bunch of games you want for yourself using the points.

[quote name='Brian9824']I have no pity. You took advantage of a sale to try to make a profit and got burned. Sure there reciept system might suck, but then again it was never designed for people to buy 8 copies of a game to flip.

Why should toysrus sell you inventory on sale and let you try to flip it and then give you a full refund if you can't sell it?[/QUOTE]
In the OP's defense, he wasn't flipping. They were meant as gifts. However, this whole thing may have been avoided had he done some research into who already had or would be receiving said games from others.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']It doesn't matter how much he specifically paid for them, all that matters is the price of the games being returned.

If the receipt says...

Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5
Fable III $59.99
Halo Reach $5

It doesn't matter if he only paid half of the total, he would only get back the money for the product that was returned. The only problem he would have was determining which card the money would go back on to.[/QUOTE]

this is what would happen.

[quote name='EvilAkana']The receipt looks like this:

Halo - 60
Halo - 5
Fable 3 - 60
Fable 3 - 5
Halo - 60
Halo - 5
Fable 3 - 60
Fable 3 - 5

Visa - 139
Mastercard -139

I tried it in every order, if you try to return just one game, it will give you 5 dollars. If you return one Halo, and one Fable, it's 10 dollars. If you return two Halos, it will be 65 dollars, because they rung them up in pairs. It's such a silly system, I'm just trying to get what I paid, and as you can see from the receipt, I have both games at both prices, but the computer is ancient and won't allow this.[/QUOTE]

the systems will give you the cheapset price paid per copy returned, 3 halos - 5, 5, 60 and fable 3 - 5. this is how pretty much ALL pos function at all stores. so dont hate. return the the games for 65 then sell the other 2, that will be your best bet.

[quote name='JayTL']I think to get a full refund, you'd have to return them ALL. I think. Just like if you'd did a B2G1 at gamestop, and return the two you paid for...[/QUOTE]

to get a full refund, yes, everything would have to be returned.

Since you're past the return window, may I suggest donating the games to Child's Play? Not only is it a good cause, but you could probably put in a $139 tax write-off for it and get your money back that way.

bread's done
Back