Trade my F-150 for a 2008 Accord?

crazytalkx

CAGiversary!
Greetings CAGs, I'm posting this thread because I need some more opinions but here's my situation in a nutshell:
Should I trade my 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat for a 2008 Honda Accord (EX-L, V6)? I'm tired of driving such a huge, gas-guzzling truck and the Accord seems like a sweet luxurious sporty option. Yay, nay, or recommendations?

Pics of each (What I have and plan on getting):
F-150_2006.jpg

exterior-header.jpg

[quote name='SpazX']Do you haul shit in the truck? If not, why would you need it?[/QUOTE]

I don't haul anything in the truck. It was a graduation present. Yeahhhhhh, but it is extremely unnecessary.

Well, I'm convinced. The only problem is the money that I'm going to be put into debt with.

As for the actual car...Accord or any other suggestions? It seems like the best bet for the price

I'd definitely ditch the truck if you don't use it as, well, a truck.

I don't know if I'd trade it for an Accord though. At about $30K for the EX-L you're pretty much in Nissan Z territory. If you're going to spend that type of money on the Accord for it to be a "sporty" vehicle, why not get a legit sports car?

I like the looks, mileage, interior, and roominess of it. I'm still looking into other potential options though (like the Z).

The Honda Civic Hybrid is pretty damn awesome, my dad just bought one. Great gas mileage, looks nice, plus its a Honda so you know youre getting a good car.

The Honda Civic hybrids are ok... but gutless as fuck. I've driven my friends hybrid on several occasions and it is balls for any speedy movement... if I was getting a honda I would want something that propels forward in some form of timely fashion when pressure is applied to the gas pedal.

whats the trade in value you will recieve for the F-150?

Its a nice grad gift but if its not being used for what its supposed to be used for..than why keep it...

I like the Accord V-6. It fast,comfy,roomy,and it looks nice. its an all around great car. If you want to check out prices..check out the V-6 Hybrid. its supposed to get 30+ mpg on it. I think it may be more expensive though.

Unless you haul stuff from time to time, or need the extra space due to your height (both reasons why I have an F-150), then I see nothing wrong with getting the Accord.

Congrats on getting a vehicle as a gift. I gave my parents two cars and received none from them. :lol:

I am inclined to say get the Accord because I am marketing it on my college campus for my marketing class. :D

But seriously, trucks blow if you aren't going to be hauling shit in them. I've been there... with an F-350 handed down from my dad. :wall: I would research a replacement if you can afford it. If you can't, there's no reason to put yourself in debt if you already own a fairly new car.

I had a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and I loved it. We traded in the Accord this summer for a Nissan Quest just because we needed more room for our daughter, but I have absolutely no complaints about the Accord.

I'd pass on the Accord and get something like a Z or an RX-8. Or if you want big 4 door sedan with some high horsepower (but at the cost of lower mileage) $30k should be able to fetch you a Dodge Charger R/T with the 340 horsepower 5.7 Hemi. Another possibility might be a Subaru WRX.

This will probably get to be a long thread. But dont overlook Scion, Nissan (as mentioned) or Mazda.

Both have cars in accord territory for both mileage, reliability, and performance (its what Mazda is known for).

Accords are like every other company car out there. I personally always try to shy away from the standard.

Good luck.

Very nice truck. If you live in a city i'd trade for a car, either the civic or a 350Z. Right now i drive a ford ranger, and the gas mileage isnt too great for it either. I'm wanting to get a car, but I live in a in a rural area with alot of messed gravel roads with plenty of potholes.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I am inclined to say get the Accord because I am marketing it on my college campus for my marketing class. :D

But seriously, trucks blow if you aren't going to be hauling shit in them. I've been there... with an F-350 handed down from my dad. :wall: I would research a replacement if you can afford it. If you can't, there's no reason to
put yourself in debt if you already own a fairly new car.[/QUOTE]

Trucks are the shit. No way in hell I would have ever given up an F-350 if it was handed down to me, especially if it was a dually. That truck is so ABAP, and as long as it is diesel it doesn't get too bad of gas mileage.

My fiancee just got a 2008 AccordLX. I really like the new model it's like the Charger and a 2007 Accord got it on and had an offspring. It really is a nice ride and Hondas really hold their resell value. I don't know if safety means anything to you, but it ranked really high in safety ratings.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I'd pass on the Accord and get something like a Z or an RX-8. Or if you want big 4 door sedan with some high horsepower (but at the cost of lower mileage) $30k should be able to fetch you a Dodge Charger R/T with the 340 horsepower 5.7 Hemi. Another possibility might be a Subaru WRX.[/QUOTE]
I have that Charger. It is the shit but it gets terrible gas mileage, about 15 mi/gal. That is the only downside about it.

And my F-350 did not run on diesel. It was a sweet truck, but it had crap mileage and it was wayyyy too bulky for a learning driver.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'] there's no reason to put yourself in debt if you already own a fairly new car.[/quote]

I agree with that.

Vehicle debt can affect everything else you want to do for a long time. Once I pay my truck off I'm not buying another vehicle until the truck falls apart, or I start a family.

Honestly? My aunt just bought the new Coupe Accord and I really don't like it. If you are looking for a sporting coupe that is on the luxory side then look at getting a G35 since those can be had for around $20k.

I'd tell you to get an RX-8 but I am biased since I own one but another great option would be the new Nissan Altima Coupe as well as the 350z which i have also owned and was a nice car but the down side to the Z is it only holds 2 people and the insurance was a ton more than any of the other cars I mentioned.

Get the new accord! It's top rated car, and you WILL SAVE ON GAS, and on repairs. Great Car!

Plus with the accord you can get most of your money back when you need to sell it.

Well I live in the city and never haul anything. The major obstacle right now would be the potential debt, especially since the truck was just paid off. And it only has 20,000 miles. But like you guys/and gal mentioned, the mileage and higher resale value on the Accord/any other potential car would make up for it.

The Kelly Blue Book says I'll get $22,000 for the truck. With the invoice price of a Accord EX (The leather seats add $2000...fuck that) for $26,000. I think I'm sold (Chargers are too common and it gets the mileage of my truck :lol:).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I have that Charger. It is the shit but it gets terrible gas mileage, about 15 mi/gal. That is the only downside about it.
[/QUOTE]

Jealous...(although I'd rather have the Magnum R/T)

How'd you swing that one if you don't mind my asking?

[quote name='crazytalkx']Well I live in the city and never haul anything. The major obstacle right now would be the potential debt, especially since the truck was just paid off. And it only has 20,000 miles. But like you guys/and gal mentioned, the mileage and higher resale value on the Accord/any other potential car would make up for it.

The Kelly Blue Book says I'll get $22,000 for the truck. With the invoice price of a Accord EX (The leather seats add $2000...fuck that) for $26,000. I think I'm sold (Chargers are too common and it gets the mileage of my truck :lol:).[/quote]

See if you can find a used Accord. If you could, it would be absolutely feasible that you could do a straight trade.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Jealous...(although I'd rather have the Magnum R/T)

How'd you swing that one if you don't mind my asking?[/QUOTE]
I read in the WSJ that there is a very good chance that Chrysler is going to discontinue the Magnum.

And I swung it because I am a spoiled only child, to be blunt.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I have that Charger. It is the shit but it gets terrible gas mileage, about 15 mi/gal. That is the only downside about it.

And my F-350 did not run on diesel. It was a sweet truck, but it had crap mileage and it was wayyyy too bulky for a learning driver.[/QUOTE]

Ah, non dually and gas I agree with you. Once you get to the dually that thing is so ABAP. It gets about 15 miles a gallon and it is probably the easiest vehicle to drive out there as far as trucks are concerned. You can see everything around you. The dually is like the frikken Cadallic of trucks. So so sweet.

(As you can tell I really miss my dad's dually)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I read in the WSJ that there is a very good chance that Chrysler is going to discontinue the Magnum.

And I swung it because I am a spoiled only child, to be blunt.[/QUOTE]

But dammit, I'm an only child too!:p

But shame Chrysler might discontinue the Magnum. My dad has an 05 SXT and it's one of the nicest cars I've been in.

I agree with them terminating other models which have outlived their usefulness (Compass, Commander, Durango, Dakota) but wish they would leave the Magnum and Pacifica alone, instead killing that miserable Aspen.

And let me guess, your R/T is either red or black? And maybe AWD?

/endthreadjack

Accord over the F-150 all the way. However, I would recommend a 2007 Toyota Camry. Give the Camry a test drive. You could get a brand new LE for around $22K. Sharp car.

PT Cruiser is also said to be getting the axe. My uncle has one in silver and it's extremely fug. My dad says it looks like a toilet seat. And it kind of does.

My R/T is black, and I can't recall if it has AWD.

Okay, leading options include the Altima, Camry, and the Accord. The Altima seems a bit pricier for what you're getting but I'm going to give the Camry and the Accord a test drive ASAP, while taking a look at the Altima. Thanks for the replies! And yes, the best option would be finding a used one since I could almost get a straight trade so here's hoping!

The new 2008 accord is awesome! They added more power, and made it faster.

Cars.com -

Honda's Accord promises to be one of the most significant introductions of the 2008 model year. In typical Honda style, the automaker is letting the product do the talking, foregoing a formal auto show introduction before the Accord hits dealerships in September. Honda's best-selling model gets an extensive redesign that includes all-new styling inside and out, a spacious rear seat for the sedan, more standard safety features and more-powerful engines, including an optional V-6 with advanced fuel-saving technology.

The finished product is a sport-oriented car that is better than its predecessor — a model that was already near the top of its segment.

Good luck getting a decent trade-in value. If you don't get good trade offers from the dealers, you might want to consider selling it yourself. I had a co-worker sell his car on Ebay and got more than trade-in offers.

It's fun to read about someone else getting a car since I just paid mine off a few months ago, and like an earlier poster said, I plan to drive mine until the wheels fall off.

You should be able to get a good trade in value on the F-150, and I would then look into a Used Accord instead of a new one. It has Honda reliability, so as long as a teenager hasn't been redlining it, it should be okay.

Moreover, someone keenly stated that its not worth it going in debt when you dont need to. Indeed thats true, but if you do a lot of driving, calculate how much you are spending on gas, and then how much you could save from going to a V8 to a four cylinder. From switching from a Wrangler to a Civic, I've saved about $100 a month in gas. Thats almost half of the average used car payment.

[quote name='strayfoxx']You should be able to get a good trade in value on the F-150, and I would then look into a Used Accord instead of a new one. It has Honda reliability, so as long as a teenager hasn't been redlining it, it should be okay.

Moreover, someone keenly stated that its not worth it going in debt when you dont need to. Indeed thats true, but if you do a lot of driving, calculate how much you are spending on gas, and then how much you could save from going to a V8 to a four cylinder. From switching from a Wrangler to a Civic, I've saved about $100 a month in gas. Thats almost half of the average used car payment.[/QUOTE]
There's the gas and the fact that the Honda will definitely retain its value better than the F-150. Win-win, ahhhhh

bread's done
Back