Trading Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='shrike4242']Door's over there, OP. No one's stopping you from leaving, since you said you're going to be taking your card sales elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

So i only get reinstated if i promise to keep selling them here? Lol - i don't get it. I'd rather not have to deal with this again, so i think i'll stick to regular trades and gameshares and sell all my virtual items elsewhere if that is ok with you - or isn't that not ok with you?

[quote name='Antipodes']Yes, because calling all mods thieves is sensible. Your job analogy is ridiculous because, guess what, if you said the same thing publicly about your bosses at work you'd be asked the same question if not immediately fired.[/QUOTE]

You obviously aren't too bright because the expression "thick as thieves" is an idiomatic phrase - one that means "very close-knit"; "allied". I think you need to pick up a dictionary because i was in no way implying that the mods are thieves

Why are you guys pushing Heavy to leave, especially this coming from a mod? That's not expected from a mod since Heavy hasn't scammed anyone or hasn't done anything wrong.

[quote name='conkwe']Why are you guys pushing Heavy to leave, especially this coming from a mod? That's not expected from a mod since Heavy hasn't scammed anyone or hasn't done anything wrong.[/QUOTE]I'm not pushing him to leave. I'm merely reminding him that no one is keeping him here in any fashion.

If he wishes to leave, it's his decision. If he wishes to stay, it's also his decision.

[quote name='shrike4242']Door's over there, OP. No one's stopping you from leaving, since you said you're going to be taking your card sales elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Heavyd814life']So i only get reinstated if i promise to keep selling them here? Lol - i don't get it. I'd rather not have to deal with this again, so i think i'll stick to regular trades and gameshares and sell all my virtual items elsewhere if that is ok with you - or isn't that not ok with you?[/QUOTE]

Are you thick?

(Well, that is, more than your name applies)

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Do you think i'm the only user here who has had an issue with a mod? You do realize that you don't need to like the mods to enjoy the site, right? Am i missing something here or is this just an utterly nonsensical post? Why do you have "thick as thieves" highlighted?[/QUOTE]

Guess what, if so many people have problems with the mods, you can lead them all the fuck away from here. What, is whining and bitching the better solution? Put your money where your mouth is, if you don't like it go somewhere else. Nothing is keeping you here, you don't like the mods, leave. See if it's better somewhere else.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm not pushing him to leave. I'm merely reminding him that no one is keeping him here in any fashion.

If he wishes to leave, it's his decision. If he wishes to stay, it's also his decision.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get an answer from you, shrike. Will the ban be lifted if i post a pic of my PSN cards?

[quote name='Antipodes']Are you thick?

(Well, that is, more than your name applies)[/QUOTE]

When you've gone to school and learned the intricacies of the English language, then we'll talk. I'll just ignore you until then

[quote name='georox']Guess what, if so many people have problems with the mods, you can lead them all the fuck away from here. What, is whining and bitching the better solution? Put your money where your mouth is, if you don't like it go somewhere else. Nothing is keeping you here, you don't like the mods, leave. See if it's better somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Nonsensical drivel - ignored!

600fulloptimusprime.jpg

Read the whole thing during a break at work. Good times.

Did someone actually post something about the mods taking it upon themselves to moderate being a bad thing? What are they supposed to do, open up a poll?

Just like us, every mod is a single user and they make right and wrong calls. Luckily for us, they are right a clear majority of the time.

Saying that no one else has ever questioned the legitimacy of your cards is quite a broad statement.
I had visited your thread before and questioned them myself. I simply didn't tell you about it or post in your thread as I didn't want to thread crap for something that was, at the time, not really my business.

But, since this has now been brought to everyone's attention, I figured I may as well throw in my two cents as I have nothing better to do at the moment. ;)

IN MY OPINION
The mods are right to do whatever they feel is necessary to protect the bulk of the CAG community. If I had a trading ban set in place for questionable activities, I would be less worried about my reputation and more worried about clearing my name ASAP.

You are also right in stating that a pic of cards means nothing. That said, taking a pic of some cards and posting or sending it to someone is also an extremely simple way to avoid any potentially negative situations (such as this one).

Who would ever assume that a mod "recommending" something wasn't saying that it should be done?

I recommend you don't step out in front of a moving bus.

I believe it's fairly obvious in this case that the recommendation is being made to avoid a negative result. Mods contacting you in regard to a thread and making a "recommendation" would be taken in the same way by pretty much anyone I think.

Finally, and again, this is just my opinion as I can only speak for myself, but there is no way I would want to deal with you even if your name was cleared.

To be very open, it has absolutely nothing to do with the trading ban itself as some people have been banned while an investigation was underway and have come back from them without issues.

The reason I would not deal with you is that fact that you are being so obtuse when it comes to fulfilling a simple request. (Yes, feel free to pick at my usage of the word request. Again, as above, recommendations or request from those "in power" are typically not simple requests)

I feel like I would be on the end of a trade with you that would only result in some kind of drama just like this and I would rather avoid it.

[quote name='Antipodes']Ever hear about an IRS audit? Should people be claiming those are unfair and refuse to cooperate because they aren't applied to everyone?[/QUOTE]

Just drifted in to say that, yes, people should oppose IRS audits, decry them as unfair, and refuse to cooperate with the IRS in incriminating themselves.

It's funny how mods make their decisions based on intuition rather than any actual evidence. Don't expect CheapyD or anyone else to do anything, though. The stigma will be left on your account and the mod who banned you will get a good laugh. It sucks, but there is really nothing you can do and every effort you continue to make is just a waste of your own time.

Damn, there's a lot of MAD goin' on in this thread.
If HeavyD has just taken a damn photo, none of this would have ever happened. =/

I can see arguments on either side. Heavy never has had a problem with trades so he seems like a reputable enough guy to buy/trade stuff from. The whole point is to stop any shady thing going on with this website since the last we'd all need is for this site to be associated with any such shenanigans. Which leads to my next point that as mentioned before, this is a private site and Cheapy relies on the mods to keep things kosher here. Any unusual spike in cards sales is of course gonna raise some eyebrows. Shrike had a simple request and although it was singling out the OP, given all these cards he had, I don't see how it was unfair request to post a picture. We're all guests on the site and even if a mod was to go over the top, we are still subject to their actions whether they are right or wrong. Sometimes my posts get deleted and I get upset over it, but I just accept it and move on. For what it's worth, I don't think Heavy was scamming them with credit cards though either. I believe him that he gets his cards for cheap.

Right or wrong, much respect to the moderator in question (shrike4242) for stepping up and confronting the issue. I knew HeavyD was leaving something out.

Even though HeavyD has a good rep, some traders on CAG with high reps have decided to go commando before and use their high rep against unknowing traders and scam them.

[quote name='Master Troll']Even though HeavyD has a good rep, some traders on CAG with high reps have decided to go commando before and use their high rep against unknowing traders and scam them.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, you'd think with all the money they'd have from scamming, they could afford some underwear.;)

[quote name='Master Troll']Even though HeavyD has a good rep, some traders on CAG with high reps have decided to go commando before and use their high rep against unknowing traders and scam them.[/QUOTE]

That actually happens a lot less on CAG than other places (like GameTZ). Kinda shocking really because there's no way to know how many pending trades a user has here and someone with a lot of feedback could easily set up "good deals" and rake in a lot of money.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm not pushing him to leave. I'm merely reminding him that no one is keeping him here in any fashion.

If he wishes to leave, it's his decision. If he wishes to stay, it's also his decision.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he needs a reminder to leave or not. So when this is coming from a mod, it sounds like you're pushing him to leave, which is why it doesn't look right.

[quote name='NSYNC']Right or wrong, much respect to the moderator in question (shrike4242) for stepping up and confronting the issue. I knew HeavyD was leaving something out, LOL![/QUOTE]

I would've given kudos too. But too bad the mod handle the situation badly. Banning someone with no warning? And for no reason. Did everyone forget that Shrike never requested for Heavy to post up a photo? He only suggested it. When Heavy decided not to do that, he gets banned, and on top of that, no warning or ultimatum. I'm still surprised that many others are supporting the mod's actions when he handled it wrong.

Anyways, no contact from any mods? Shouldn't the ban be lifted by now since you agreed to post a photo (even though it has no point)?

Since the mods "police" CAG and have authority over it's members, maybe this comparison will work;

You're at a bar drinking with friends and the conversation is loud and causing confrontations with other bar patrons. A cop walks up to you and says "I suggest you quiet down".

Do you:
A) Ignore him since it was a suggestion and tell him to buy you a beer.
B) STFU.

If you answered "A", chances are you've been in the drunk tank on more than one occasion.

For another point of reference; if my boss recommends that I do something that means he expects me to do it.

That said I think he deserved another chance. But I'm sure that went down the drain the moment he created this thread.

Isn't their some OT chatter in the Kmart thread that needs to be removed?

While heavy should have simply posted a pic, it's easy to understand why he would feel singled out for having done nothing wrong. The one thing i have learned from being on CAG is that the mods punish without asking any questions, giving any warnings, and sometimes, for personal vendettas. CheapyD allows this to continue either cause he doesn't care or because he just isn't aware.

We are all at their mercy and there is no place for us to voice any concerns or to try and plead our case. While we don't have to be here at CAG we all buy through the affilaite links and help support this site.

We help make this site what it can be and to be treated by mods consistently like prisoners, just seems wrong.

I myself have been singled out for 'being a douchebag' to other users and threatened with banning if I didn't 'behave'. Yet day in and day out I continue to see some of the same users berating and belittling my fellow CAG's and they have received not even a silencing or a temp ban.

I'm pretty sure at least a few of you could name one or two of these users off the top of your heads, as they are almost as prolific in their postings as I have been these past 6 years here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but the mod overreacted and cured a case of foot fungus by amputating his damn foot. Yea he could of made it easier by posting a picture but the resulting action was too much.

Also posting pictures now is kind of moot right. By my count two of his satisfied customers have chimed in.
I don't think the OP is 100% right but I don't blame him for sticking to his principles. I know exclusion from a video game message board is not nearly enough to compromise my principles.

And look this is coming from someone who likes shrike although I haven't communicated with him in years. But this is not the first time he has caused contention where I haven't really sided with him

One person on this page compared a moderator to a police officer and another one compared one to my boss. The people you are comparing moderators to are people in positions of real authority - people's who can alter my *life* as i know it in a single second. When a mod - a gamer/trader like me who has been granted a few powers - suggests that i do something without making it explicitly clear that i have to do it or making it explicitly clear that he is acting in the interest of other traders then that suggestion is nothing more than an offer for consideration and i feel it is my individual right to choose whether or not to comply. The issue i have here is not with wanting to protect other traders from fishy deals, but the way the mod in question handled the matter. I think people feel mods should have carte blanche to act as they wish, but you wouldn't feel that way if you were in my shoes and were to made to answer to questions that suggested you were a crook, or were singled out when others are doing the same thing. People say that no one else sells as many as i do, then how about these traders:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=214283
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=142090

Not to mention 3 or so foreign sellers who sell these codes at lower prices than i do and have less feedback as well. Are any of them asked to post a picture?

I stand up for myself because i honestly feel the mod jumped the gun and i'm berated by other members. Somehow i'm the bad guy for bringing it to the attention of my fellow gamers. I'd like to thank the dozen or so good people who sent me a pm and i'd like to thank the people who didn't use this as an excuse to hurl abuses at a fellow gamers, but as a chance to see things from both sides of the argument.

Shrike has sent me a pm saying he'll lift the ban once i post a picture so i'll post one momentarily

I want to know when were are getting a picture of a girl holding PSN cards over her boobs. I know I saw it mentioned a few pages back. Someone has to have a girlfriend that is a bit of an exhibitionist or go to strip clubs or something. =P.

Well, I'm glad it worked out at least and you agreed to post a picture.

I don't have a magic wand of truth which can tell me whether your codes are legit or not, nor do any of us. The only one who knows for sure is you, and you obviously say they are (which is fine). I understand the desire to voraciously defend oneself, and you should, but two things come to mind that I'm not sure have been discussed:

1) I'm not sure if you realize or not, but when people hear "I have a friend in distribution" or something of the like, that sets off alarm bells in their head. Whether it's your perception or not, that kind of has the same ring to it as "they fell off the back of a truck." Again, I'm not saying the cards were definitely obtained in a shady manner, but you have to understand the perception it creates. Anything you can do to counter that perception (although as others have said a picture doesn't prove much), is in your favor, whether you think it's fair or not. It only helps your business, since as you say you have nothing to hide.

2) The way you dealt with Shrike did come off as a bit disrespectful, and this is from a third party who has nothing vested in it. I'm not saying mods are infallible, but they do volunteer their time and perform a service here which is invaluable to the community. When Shrike contacted you, it would have been far easier for you if you'd just worked with him and done what he asked rather than basically ignoring it because you thought it was optional. If you felt singled out unfairly, it would have been reasonable to say that to him, and I'm sure he would have explained his reasoning in more detail. Instead from what you posted your response was basically "Commit to buying this, and I'll show you the pictures." I'm sorry, but that sounds like something a shady guy selling stolen watches from under his trenchcoat would say. You've said you don't want to be perceived as a scam or a cheat, which is very good, but you should know that's exactly how reading that does make you seem, for right or wrong.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out like I said, just thought I'd offer my unsolicited opinion, since that's what the internet is for.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yay 7 pages of whining.[/QUOTE]

With no PSN card/boob payoff. There is 5 minutes of my life reading I won't get back.

[quote name='bvharris']Well, I'm glad it worked out at least and you agreed to post a picture.

I don't have a magic wand of truth which can tell me whether your codes are legit or not, nor do any of us. The only one who knows for sure is you, and you obviously say they are (which is fine). I understand the desire to voraciously defend oneself, and you should, but two things come to mind that I'm not sure have been discussed:

1) I'm not sure if you realize or not, but when people hear "I have a friend in distribution" or something of the like, that sets off alarm bells in their head. Whether it's your perception or not, that kind of has the same ring to it as "they fell off the back of a truck." Again, I'm not saying the cards were definitely obtained in a shady manner, but you have to understand the perception it creates. Anything you can do to counter that perception (although as others have said a picture doesn't prove much), is in your favor, whether you think it's fair or not. It only helps your business, since as you say you have nothing to hide.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, bvharris - you make very valid points. I simply say that my source is a close friend in distribution because i've always figured that with physical PSN and XBL cards, people understand that they have to be activated at a register - they don't work otherwise. A television, gold watches etc can fall off the back of a truck, cards that have no value until activated at a register cannot. So unless you put a gun to a cashier's head and demand that he/she scans a boatload of cards, the cards can only be obtained lawfully. I don't go into detail because my feedback does the talking for me. If you look at my feedback and see i've had repeat buyers since March - none of whom have had a single issue - then you should feel comfortable buying from me. If you really want to be extra safe, i'd be more than happy to mail you the card. That's how i conduct business on this site.

My friend - a close friend i attended the University of Maryland with - brokers tons of manufacturer-to-consumer deals for a number of wholesale items. If people knew of wholesale rates and practices and knew of the profit potential of some items even after overhead and shipping are factored in, this wouldn't be an issue at all. I buy from him, pass the savings on to other gamers, and we live happily ever after - at least so i thought. I've been here for a year, so i wasn't around when people were being scammed by people selling PSN and XBL codes. If i was here or if that was brought to my attention by someone, i would have had no issues providing pictures if that was considered sufficient proof. All i know is that i was never asked to provide pictures - it was merely suggested that such pictures would only make my TL seem respectable. Well if no one else has had that suggestion made to them and even if they had no one else has heeded to such a suggestion and posted a picture of their cards, so why should i? That's the issue i had and when i was essentially branded a cheat when a trading ban was imposed on me with no prior warnings and with no correspondences sent to me about a potential ban - and had two people send me pms about the ban before even i was aware of such a ban - i took offense to it and my frustrations manifested as they did because i wear my heart on my sleeve. I am a man of integrity and i would NEVER cheat a fellow gamer and when i was branded a cheat i took to the forums to tell my side of the story. I hope people see where i'm coming from. It was never my intention to seem pompous or act petulant - it may have come out that way because i felt and still feel that i was treated unjustly. I don't really have anything else to say - a number of people have come to my defense so i at least know that i'm not just some crazy loon whining for no reason at all. Maybe people would feel differently if they were in my shoes, but it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bkjohns1']Mod. making a request + user being non-compliant = banned

moral: Do as the Mod. asks/says[/QUOTE]

But it was a request not a demand.

[quote name='bkjohns1']Mod. making a request + user being non-compliant = banned

This thread has me in stitches. I think I've had more posts deleted then I have had left alone :applause: Why so serious?

I also enjoy keeping an eye on the "join date" next to the posters. It seems like their is an entire circle of join date x < 2006 posters standing around looking at a cookie.

I guess it is time to bow out or lock up the thread before I'm silenced.

[quote name='Lyricsborn'][quote name='bkjohns1']Mod. making a request + user being non-compliant = banned

But it was a request not a demand.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't even a request. It was a suggestion. That's been stated several times already. Heavy didn't do anything wrong, but the mod did.

I used to be 100% cool with this site. But I just lost a little trust now due to a few mods.

Good to know that the ban's been lifted over a trivial thing such as posting a picture that proves no point.

I don't think most of you understand what a pain in the ass the trading forum can be, if he doesn't say/do anything about it, we have guys who end up getting ripped off, so while you may think the mods actions are extreme, I understand them. I think Shrike especially tries to do the right thing and tends to err on the side of caution rather then let people get ripped off. Seriously, if people want to leave and find another forum to trade stuff, that's cool with me, because I've seen other sites where people get ripped off and the mods simply say "Oh well, too bad", at least they're trying to be a little proactive here.

I hope all the cards are, in fact, stolen or have been obtained in some slightly-less-than-legal manner. Posting a picture does nothing more than provide a false sense of security to mods and potential buyers. Enjoy the security blanket because these pictures really don't change anything (ban removal aside).

[quote name='crushtopher']I hope all the cards are, in fact, stolen or have been obtained in some slightly-less-than-legal manner. Posting a picture does nothing more than provide a false sense of security to mods and potential buyers. Enjoy the security blanket because these pictures really don't change anything (ban removal aside).[/QUOTE]If you have a more helpful suggestion about how to make sure they're not less-than-legal, I'm all ears. There's always an assumed risk with trading/selling/buying on the Internet through somewhere other than an established retailer like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc, and we have to do what we can to try and limit that risk as best as we can.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you have a more helpful suggestion about how to make sure they're not less-than-legal, I'm all ears. There's always an assumed risk with trading/selling/buying on the Internet through somewhere other than an established retailer like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc, and we have to do what we can to try and limit that risk as best as we can.[/QUOTE]

What can you do though? Don't get me wrong, I'm totally being ornery here, but there really is no way to make sure they are legit/legal. That's why people get scammed and ripped off. You can't prevent that stuff from happening and the only thing you can do is try to resolve the issue should a scam happen. It's really up to the buyer from making the discretion between legit and not legit. I think you handled it well by attempting to limit the risk, but I guess my issue is with the fact that you merely "recommended" he post pictures to prevent a ban, which you didn't indicate would happen should he not listen to said recommendation. The difference between ban and no band is a few pictures that they themselves can be questioned. I'm glad the matter is resolved overall, I just have more questions and beef with how it was all handled and the intent behind the entire process.

Next time, I'll just use "post a pic or you'll be banned from the site and have hellfire and damnation falling from the sky on your head for a hundred years", just to drive the point home.

Either that, or replace the word "recommend" with "require", and clear up the ambiguity.

[quote name='shrike4242']Next time, I'll just use "post a pic or you'll be banned from the site and have hellfire and damnation falling from the sky on your head for a hundred years", just to drive the point home.

Either that, or replace the word "recommend" with "require", and clear up the ambiguity.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes people need a slap in the face/blunt comment to actually get the message someone is trying to send. The whole gray area/ambiguity is such a pain in the ass in so many aspects of life that it allows too many things to fall between the cracks. I personally think your first message would be perfect :applause:.

What a bunch of horsefuck. It always comes down to this. No one can ever believe that someone does something for the principle of it and come in demanding truth like its owed to them when there is nothing the person in question has done wrong. I am sad to see users be criminalized but not surprised especially given this particular mod's history.

But hey, if I don't like it, I can leave.

[quote name='crystalklear64']What a bunch of horsefuck. It always comes down to this. No one can ever believe that someone does something for the principle of it and come in demanding truth like its owed to them when there is nothing the person in question has done wrong. I am sad to see users be criminalized but not surprised especially given this particular mod's history.

But hey, if I don't like it, I can leave.[/QUOTE]

im sorry, but you don't find "i have a friend in distribution" the least bit alarming?

who was chuplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back