TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Ys4 will probably not happen as Falcom doesn't register as the official (Dawn of Ys) rather SNES one (Mask of the Sun), and now, Celceta are consider proper.

as for Riot games...did anyone ever get their licensing rights for their games?
What system was Ys V released for? I wonder if they will ever remake it like they did for IV (Celceta.)

I wanted a TG16 mini, but I had bought a bunch of PC Engine games from the Japanese Wii Shop Channel. I was disappointed when it sold out in the USA, but I was still not ready to spend $100 on it.

So I looked closer at the list of games on it, and found out that the USA PSN and JP PSN have A LOT of TG16/PCEngine games between them. Not to mention the USA Wii U Shops and JP Wii U Shops have lots of games for the TG16/PCEngine.

If you want to just play the games, I'd suggest looking into the PS3 PSN and Wii U TG16/PC Engine libraries! You can get games for a good price and choose exactly the games you want to play.

China Warrior and Chew Man Fu are VERY fun! Check them out!

DHL sucks. Apparently they say they tried to deliver the package and nobody was home. I’ve been home all fucking day and nobody knocked on the door. Who requires signatures anymore anyways. Earliest redelivery is Monday. LAME.

I went through the same shit. Make sure you're actually watching out the  window on Monday.  :/

That said, you better believe I wanted them to take a signature. Even worse if something like this gets stolen.

DHL sucks. Apparently they say they tried to deliver the package and nobody was home. I’ve been home all fucking day and nobody knocked on the door. Who requires signatures anymore anyways. Earliest redelivery is Monday. LAME.
I’m bummed for you...not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but such a bummer.

Did you get a text from DHL? I got a text asking if I want to waive signature requirements. You might be able to go online and do it but their website is a nightmare.

Did you get a text from DHL? I got a text asking if I want to waive signature requirements. You might be able to go online and do it but their website is a nightmare.
Yeah, I do this as well, as Bitmap Books in the UK send their books by DHL each time, so being able to waive that signature is key. I also have an electrical plug by my front door with a plastic cover, so I always specify that I'll leave a note on that cover, and if it's not there, don't leave the package because you have the wrong house. In my neighborhood packages get mis-delivered all the time(many house with the same numbers, but different names), so I do this so I won't have a package go missing I waived the signature on, as that would be on me if it's lost or stolen.

One time I had a DHL package arrive that I never got a notice for, and when the driver knocked, he asked were was my note, as he remembered my house? I told him I didn't know I had a package coming, otherwise I would have. LOL So overall, I've had nothing but good experiences with DHL, but like with most things in this world, that's only because I do the extra work on my end to ensure proper service(I should be getting paid to ensure a proper job is done, but that's what the world has come to). I also agree their site is complete shit, and has it's own issues I suppose, one of which was making sure I could sit this service up.

EDIT: Also, once this is set up, you could leave the driver a message that your home as well(you don't have to waive the sig), and knock loud and wait, so don't give me that "person wasn't home" BS! LOL

Worst delivery service. I had the same thing happen with them. I know when someone comes up my drive -- I can hear them, plus the dogs bark. Delivery man never came but claimed he did but nobody was home. Then, twice my package was delivered to the wrong house across town, but in both cases the people that got the package drove across town to give the packages to me in person. I don't get much stuff from places that use DHL fortunately. My limited experience with them has not been good at all. UPS and USPS are very reliable where I live. FedEx and DHL are the two I've had issues with, mainly DHL. Maybe my area just has incredibly stupid DHL employees.

After reading some of the stories here about DHL's poor service, I have to give credit where it's due. My order shipped on 7/22 from Japan, and has already arrived today in MA! They sent me constant updates and allowed me choices of leaving at my door or signature upon delivery. It was packaged well, and arrived in flawless condition. Now the wait begins for the mod to be released. lol

I’ve had good luck with DHL too. I’ll get items from Japan post marked one day prior. I guess it’s the time difference that makes this possible?

Buying this thing at launch for $100 is starting to look like a pretty good retirement investment option. These now sell for more than real TG16s for some reason. I feel sorry for everyone who didn't get one because they thought this was somehow equivalent to the PS Classic, due to some incredibly misguided reasoning.

Buying this thing at launch for $100 is starting to look like a pretty good retirement investment option. These now sell for more than real TG16s for some reason. I feel sorry for everyone who didn't get one because they thought this was somehow equivalent to the PS Classic, due to some incredibly misguided reasoning.
Yeah, the people that figured "I'll just wait for the bottom to fall out on the price like the PS1 and Genesis ones" and actually want it made a bad bet. It was clear that since it was a single retailer they didn't over-produce and the quality of this one is really, really good. I don't regret pre-ordering a year ahead of time and getting it a single bit. I have all of the mini consoles and it is my favorite.

Yeah, the people that figured "I'll just wait for the bottom to fall out on the price like the PS1 and Genesis ones" and actually want it made a bad bet. It was clear that since it was a single retailer they didn't over-produce and the quality of this one is really, really good. I don't regret pre-ordering a year ahead of time and getting it a single bit. I have all of the mini consoles and it is my favorite.
I wouldn't blame people for that though. ALL of the retro consoles went on sale at some point. And some such as the PSclassic were plain crap. I considered getting the turbografx just as a collector to complete the mini console 'set', though I never played one growing up.

I wouldn't blame people for that though. ALL of the retro consoles went on sale at some point. And some such as the PSclassic were plain crap. I considered getting the turbografx just as a collector to complete the mini console 'set', though I never played one growing up.
No, not at all. It wasn't an unwise bet based on history - but it was a gamble. There was some indication it wasn't going to be over-produced, with it being retailer exclusive to Amazon, and the public has somewhat soured on Minis over time. The PS Classic was crap (and the only one I have hacked, the games were that bad) but the Genesis Mini was really top quality with a great game selection and it still hit the discount shelf due to production. To me it all goes to show the public does want these, as long as they are done well and a good game selection, but they don't need to flood the shelves with them because the NES Classic style demand is not realistic anymore.

I also did not have a TG16 back then (I and SNES and Genesis), but I wanted it because they had some games I had wanted to sit down and play but never really had done so.

No, not at all. It wasn't an unwise bet based on history - but it was a gamble. There was some indication it wasn't going to be over-produced, with it being retailer exclusive to Amazon, and the public has somewhat soured on Minis over time. The PS Classic was crap (and the only one I have hacked, the games were that bad) but the Genesis Mini was really top quality with a great game selection and it still hit the discount shelf due to production. To me it all goes to show the public does want these, as long as they are done well and a good game selection, but they don't need to flood the shelves with them because the NES Classic style demand is not realistic anymore.

I also did not have a TG16 back then (I and SNES and Genesis), but I wanted it because they had some games I had wanted to sit down and play but never really had done so.
I agree. Don't rush the product to market or you'll piss off consumers. It's the main reason I don't game like I used to. I absolutely will not pay full MSRP for a game to come out, be broken and unfinished, when a year later the "complete edition" comes out fully patched. Screw that nonsense.

I agree. Don't rush the product to market or you'll piss off consumers. It's the main reason I don't game like I used to. I absolutely will not pay full MSRP for a game to come out, be broken and unfinished, when a year later the "complete edition" comes out fully patched. Screw that nonsense.
Yeah, I adopted this method as well years ago, as the GOTY editions can often be had for $20 in a short period of time as well, so long as you don't mind waiting, this is the much better way to go.

I don't even know how this can be compared to the previous mini markets. You could get those at Amazon, as well Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and pretty much every brick and mortar store under the sun. These were exclusive to Amazon. To predict price plunges based on reference to such radically different business models makes absolutely no sense.

And that's just the obvious tell. Once you start factoring in other things like covid-stressed supply chains, the die hard franchise fan base, etc... no brainer to buy this thing at $100. My only regret is not buying another one once Amazon restocked them for a short time.

Was it a good idea to go ahead and get one of these for the original retail price? Yes, yes it was.

Would it be a good idea to horde these suckers, and any other mini consoles in the future in order to flip them for a profit? No, that would be a terrible idea.

The circumstances for the TurboGrafx 16 mini are a bit unique to start off with. Konami hadn't been planning on mass-producing these things from the get-go, so the supply was always going to be constrained. Then COVID hit and all bets were off, further preventing any additional production runs.

Generally speaking, game flipping is a bad idea to begin with. It's really only profitable in the short term, and even then it is excessively risky. The only way to make a decent profit off of it long-term is to have an extensive understanding of the industry as a whole, and the consumer response to various titles and systems. And once again, even under the ideal circumstances the profits we're talking about would be pennies on the dollar. It's just not a good way to make money.

Was it a good idea to go ahead and get one of these for the original retail price? Yes, yes it was.

Would it be a good idea to horde these suckers, and any other mini consoles in the future in order to flip them for a profit? No, that would be a terrible idea.

The circumstances for the TurboGrafx 16 mini are a bit unique to start off with. Konami hadn't been planning on mass-producing these things from the get-go, so the supply was always going to be constrained. Then COVID hit and all bets were off, further preventing any additional production runs.

Generally speaking, game flipping is a bad idea to begin with. It's really only profitable in the short term, and even then it is excessively risky. The only way to make a decent profit off of it long-term is to have an extensive understanding of the industry as a whole, and the consumer response to various titles and systems. And once again, even under the ideal circumstances the profits we're talking about would be pennies on the dollar. It's just not a good way to make money.
I don't know about flipping, but it'd be nice to have a backup in case you ever accidentally plug it into the wrong ac adapter and fry it (btw, dumbest thing ever to have to worry about).

My plan was to wait for Konami to do more production runs, as I thought for sure they would, then grab a spare once the price went down like it has for most mini consoles.. Not so sure any more, so I recently ordered a CoreGrafx from Amazon JP while they are still available, just to be safe. Love this system so much that I want to make sure I can keep playing if my TG16 bites the dust.

My plan was to wait for Konami to do more production runs, as I thought for sure they would, then grab a spare once the price went down like it has for most mini consoles.. Not so sure any more, so I recently ordered a CoreGrafx from Amazon JP while they are still available, just to be safe. Love this system so much that I want to make sure I can keep playing if my TG16 bites the dust.
Honestly, without some word direct from Konami, anything could be happening in regards to production for these(or not). Production or lack thereof is all over the map right now, with no end in sight. The best example I can give, is for my "Dragon's Lair" Arcade cab from New Wave Toys, as it was originally due to ship in March, right before things got bad here, but months after it was already bad in China.

The latest updates we have gotten through KS is that they have finally made it to their "pilot production" level, which is to fine tune any issues before mass production. So depending on how that goes, and how many fine details need tweaking, final production could be weeks, or still even months away(hopefully just weeks based on updates). So use this as a guide to how long it may take for new production, or even returning products.

Depending on when Konami decided these were "hot", if they even had, you may see more in a few months, or none for a year. It just depends on if production had ended, and if they see a benefit to starting it up again if it had. It all comes down to how quick they may be able to produce more, and if it's even worth their time? Maybe production never stopped, and they are just having supply chain problems? It just to many unknown variables to make a proper choice. I would say for anyone who wanted one of these, you should have made plans before now, as we may see more, or we may not? Being a vendor specific item, always meant this had "limited" written all over it, and covid-19 situation is just icing on that cake, sadly.

the only reason i bit the bullet to preorder and pay full price was because it is an amazon exclusive.

i think it is really cool and the tg16 ui and menu music is fantastic.

wish i had a spare like my other minis, but wasn’t excited to pay msrp twice.

Thanks to this thread being relatively high up in the forum, I realized that these things were OOS and opted to order a PC Engine Mini from amazon.co.jp (still available via amazon rather than a 3rd party!). I never had a TG16, but a very rich friend of mine whose father owned a baseball card / collectible / Magic: The Gathering shop did, and I remember playing the hell out of Bonk's Adventure at his house for a birthday sleepover. 

Not sure if I'll have to pay additional customs when it arrives in Korea, but very happy with the purchase, just to satisfy a childhood dream and more, since I always thought Super Famicom > Super Nintendo (snagged a European version of the SNES Mini) and PC Engine > TG16. 

Best wishes to all in the States and hope you stay safe and healthy. I am an American expat living and working in Korea, and it breaks my heart to see what's happening over there. 

Best wishes to all in the States and hope you stay safe and healthy. I am an American expat living and working in Korea, and it breaks my heart to see what's happening over there.
Thanks, as we need all the support and well wishes we can get, and may I send some to those Americans living abroad as well, as **** is real all over, but not many places as bad as the US!

Yeah, I adopted this method as well years ago, as the GOTY editions can often be had for $20 in a short period of time as well, so long as you don't mind waiting, this is the much better way to go.
Until Bethesda starting using a code instead of putting the expansions on the disc. Fallout 4.

TurboGrafx-16 mini $99.99
Qty: 1
Sold By: Amazon.com Services LLC

Is what the order lists. Didn’t have the other option available when I purchased.

Amazon Japan has the PC Engine Mini for 10665 yen. Sold by amazon.co.jp.

Just will say for anyone on the fence. The TG16 Mini is the most fun I have had with a mini console to date even with just the included games. I never owned one growing up so that probably adds a lot of the enjoyment factor for me but generally really like the whole package here. Really hoping they release a hack soon so I can add more titles. 

Just will say for anyone on the fence. The TG16 Mini is the most fun I have had with a mini console to date even with just the included games. I never owned one growing up so that probably adds a lot of the enjoyment factor for me but generally really like the whole package here. Really hoping they release a hack soon so I can add more titles.
I never was tempted to buy this last year since I didn't know the console except by name. I started with an NES and went up from there, so this console mini didn't appeal to me. Plus it seems it didn't have that much universal appeal. I wonder if this is going to be massively produced now since it's still orderable on amazon.

bread's done
Back