TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the CoreGrafx from Japan on Sunday and it'll be delivered tomorrow (Friday)--five days sooner than projected. That's pretty impressive. Whenever I order stuff from EU it takes a couple weeks.

Yeah, I figured most would know of those differences, as they had been discussed at lengths in this thread, but always good to pass such info along for those who missed it.
Not to mention it is information that is easily found, even the official site shows the differences. The only caveat to that that some might miss is the arcade Salamander (Lifeforce) which is a hidden game that is accessed from a button combination. The hidden games are different on the PC Engine Mini and the TG/Core.

I dont think the TG-16 is ugly. So many systems just are basically squares sometimes with smooth edges, etc. At least it was different. Most of you probably dont know what this is, but my first system takes the cake for ugliness - Intellivision. The color was ugly and the controllers were the worst in history.

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg
My first console as well. High end wood panneling!

Original release date for this was just after my birthday, so I ordered it as a birthday present to myself last summer. Now, I'm having to decide whether to wait *forever* for the US release or just order from Japan. Can't decide how urgently I want this. Still going to get it, just a matter of when. Thanks to everyone who has shared information about the device and availability.

i remember visiting canada (niagara falls) and there was a video game demo event and it was the turbo grafix 16. :D i played it before it launched and only recall one friend that owned it.

I was colecovision, nes, then snes personally.

snes i bought with my own money (spent an hour in the store deciding between snes or genesis)

Plenty of friends with Genesis (played sonic, mutant league football, mk1, nhl hockey, etc)

One friend had over 100 genesis games...i was so jelly lol

It looks like the TG-16 Mini is back in stock on Amazon JP.

Now I'm torn on whether to get the Coregrafx (which I think looks a bit cooler) or the TG (which feels more important historically to the US).

Does size make a difference to you? Could be the major differentiator as the Core is a real mini while the TG is the only "mini" that could actually pass for a standard console.

Does size make a difference to you? Could be the major differentiator as the Core is a real mini while the TG is the only "mini" that could actually pass for a standard console.
Nah, I'm not too worried about the size. In fact, I just went ahead and ordered the TG-16 mini. I hadn't pulled the trigger on Amazon JP all this time while the Coregrafx was available, so I guess this is what I was waiting for. I'm a sucker for that late 80's/early 90's clunky design anyway. :p

Nah, I'm not too worried about the size. In fact, I just went ahead and ordered the TG-16 mini. I hadn't pulled the trigger on Amazon JP all this time while the Coregrafx was available, so I guess this is what I was waiting for. I'm a sucker for that late 80's/early 90's clunky design anyway. :p
Cool, I did the same. You should enjoy it.

Are the controllers on the PC Engine non turbo?

That may be another consideration. I had a TG16 growing up, and definitely made use of the turbo function.

Are the controllers on the PC Engine non turbo?

That may be another consideration. I had a TG16 growing up, and definitely made use of the turbo function.
Yes, I believe the US/EU come with the "turbo" on the controllers, as that's how they originally launched, while the PCE was just standard at launch. So all 3 appear as they originally did, in there region of origin.

I was just about to buy the PC Engine version from Amazon Japan, but now I'm tempted to grab the TG-16 model since I have no idea when my US pre-order is going to ship. I also pre-ordered two 8bitdo TG/PCE wireless controllers. It would be nice to play them on the mini console sooner than later.

Who else sees new posts in this thread and goes "Ooh, maybe they started shipping in the US", but end up disappointed? :)  If so, I guess I'm guilty of doing that as well now ...

If they restocked in Japan, one would think they are back in production and hopefully out here in the not too distant future.

I don't expect news about the NA release of this every time the thread is bumped. Just figure someone got one from japan and wanted to discuss it.  In this case, controllers are shipping ahead of the release which is interesting.

Don't know if anyone noticed, but they quietly added a release date on the US Amazon page.  

This item will be released on May 22, 2020.

My order still says arriving Jan. 5th 2021, but also lists the release date as May 22nd.

Oh good grief.  Mine from Japan is expected to arrive tomorrow.  I could have just waited a week and not paid an extra $10 and clogged up international shipping routes.   :roll:

Don't know if anyone noticed, but they quietly added a release date on the US Amazon page.

This item will be released on May 22, 2020.

My order still says arriving Jan. 5th 2021, but also lists the release date as May 22nd.
Right on. Came into the bumped thread expecting to be disappointed with a new comment on form factor, and actually got the update I've been desiring for the last year. Mine also says Jan 2021 but I'm sure it'll get updated.

Right on. Came into the bumped thread expecting to be disappointed with a new comment on form factor, and actually got the update I've been desiring for the last year. Mine also says Jan 2021 but I'm sure it'll get updated.
Mine was just updated with a delivery date of May 26th.

Oh good grief. Mine from Japan is expected to arrive tomorrow. I could have just waited a week and not paid an extra $10 and clogged up international shipping routes. :roll:
Same. It had been on sale so long in Japan that I assumed it wouldn't be announced to be released here anytime soon. C'est la vie. I just cancelled my US order, Japan order scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Wow I just put in my TG16 order last night from Amazon Japan. My new delivery estimate for my US order is May 26th. I did want two TG16 controllers. Maybe I'll keep both, but I would rather have a PCE version if I had two.

I'm also got the May 26th delivery update.

Between that, Mortal Kombat Aftermath, Xenoblade, and a number of games available on the Nintendo eShop on the 28th, the final week of May will be a busy one for me video game wise.

Apparently they are shipping them in the US and the Amazon date is accurate, my card was charged this morning.  Konami hasn't updated their official page yet though.

Got mine from Japan a couple days ago.  Really liking it so far!  Using a wired controller and having to turn it off via a switch on the console feels oddly nostalgic.

Has anyone's wired Hori controller shipped? It's frustrating that the console will be arriving here tomorrow but my second controller won't.

Has anyone's wired Hori controller shipped? It's frustrating that the console will be arriving here tomorrow but my second controller won't.
Man, i was just charged, with an estimate of a tuesday delivery.... and I ordered within minutes of it popping up on amazon last july :( That and both my Duo and Duo r are out getting recapped, so I haven't had any turbo goodness in a bit

Just got shipping notification for mine. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Console only. Controller extension and extra controller not included at the moment.

i’m bummed that i have to settle for a pc engine second controller instead of another turbopad..

i already have some other 8bitdo controllers that are great for my pi and pc.

The replica controllers are a big reason why i have picked up these various mini consoles. The faux nostalgic experience is more fun for me than just playing these games elsewhere (pi, pc, legends cabinet)

Currently playing through quackshot on my sega mini with the 3 button pad...it just feels right.

Another great thing is that they all accept hdmi and the same power adapter so i can quickly swap in and out the mini consoles without any fuss (nes, snes, genesis, psx)

I still have the original hardware for many of these consoles, but they are inconvenient to setup and use on a whim. The lack of save states (which my father/husband lifestyle requires) also becomes problematic.

At this point, I would cancel any Hori controllers and order the 8bitdo wireless - it's the same price!
Yeah, might as well. They destroyed the aesthetic aspect of it by not offering a matching option. Hori really dropped the ball here. Might as well take advantage of a quality wireless option.

I'm going to give the mini a good run through when mine arrives to see which controllers work for it. I've heard other mini console controllers won't work, but I can't imagine those being different than other USB controllers. Hopefully they will, then getting more controllers will be unnecessary.

bread's done
Back