U.S. hostage Johnson apparently beheaded

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I mean you should care what the Jews believe that is when the end of days is happening when the Jews return to Israel, that when Jesus is supposed to come back[/quote]

If you listen to everything the Jews have said and done throughout their history, you'd be in pretty big trouble. I tend to listen to the written word of God rather than listen to what the Jews think.

Yes, the Jews are the chosen people of God, but they also believe that Jesus wasn't God's child.

The ones I believe are right are the Judaio-Christians.

Wow this thread should be published as "Diary of a Threadjack" or "Meanderings on an Internet Forum."

We went from a guy having his head cut off, to gay marriage, to religion. And I didn't even read pages 2-5.

anything u read that has anything to do with religon has been written by man. Anything written by man can be wrong, so u shouldnt follow anything religous blindly

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']anything u read that has anything to do with religon has been written by man. Anything written by man can be wrong, so u shouldnt follow anything religous blindly[/quote]

That is unless you believe that the Bible is God's divine word written through the hands of man.

Honestly think about this for a second. If you were a God, and wanted to make a "how to book to life," why would you let some bonehead men mess it up for you? You probably wouldn't. That's why I believe that everything that's in the Bible, is there because God wanted it to be there.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']anything u read that has anything to do with religon has been written by man. Anything written by man can be wrong, so u shouldnt follow anything religous blindly[/quote]

That is unless you believe that the Bible is God's divine word written through the hands of man.

Honestly think about this for a second. If you were a God, and wanted to make a "how to book to life," why would you let some bonehead men mess it up for you? You probably wouldn't. That's why I believe that everything that's in the Bible, is there because God wanted it to be there.[/quote]

But theoretically anyone can say they are god's pen. All my post could be from god for all u know. God works in mysterious ways

[quote name='PsyClerk']Wow this thread should be published as "Diary of a Threadjack" or "Meanderings on an Internet Forum."

We went from a guy having his head cut off, to gay marriage, to religion. And I didn't even read pages 2-5.[/quote]

Don't bother reading those pages, they were about how the Free Masons are behind the recent popularity of NASCAR and why Harry Potter could be the second coming of Jesus.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']anything u read that has anything to do with religon has been written by man. Anything written by man can be wrong, so u shouldnt follow anything religous blindly[/quote]

Honestly think about this for a second. If you were a God, and wanted to make a "how to book to life," why would you let some bonehead men mess it up for you? You probably wouldn't. That's why I believe that everything that's in the Bible, is there because God wanted it to be there.[/quote]

But theoretically anyone can say they are god's pen. All my post could be from god for all u know. God works in mysterious ways[/quote]

That is true. And who's to say that I'm not God sitting up in heaven having a nice chat with some of my peeps?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='PsyClerk']Wow this thread should be published as "Diary of a Threadjack" or "Meanderings on an Internet Forum."

We went from a guy having his head cut off, to gay marriage, to religion. And I didn't even read pages 2-5.[/quote]

Don't bother reading those pages, they were about how the Free Masons are behind the recent popularity of NASCAR and why Harry Potter could be the second coming of Jesus.[/quote]

Damn Freemasons. I hate NASCAR.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']That is true. And who's to say that I'm not God sitting up in heaven having a nice chat with some of my peeps?[/quote]

I'm not so sure god would proudly have a "retard" avatar. I cna see divine intervention in the monkey/dog though.

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']That is true. And who's to say that I'm not God sitting up in heaven having a nice chat with some of my peeps?[/quote]

I'm not so sure god would proudly have a "retard" avatar. I cna see divine intervention in the monkey/dog though.[/quote]

Well, whose not to say that retards aren't the next step in the evolutionary process? Their motor skills aren't the greatest, but their psychic powers are uncanny.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']anything u read that has anything to do with religon has been written by man. Anything written by man can be wrong, so u shouldnt follow anything religous blindly[/quote]

God is capable of writing stuff on his own. See also: the 10 Commandments.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']anything u read that has anything to do with religon has been written by man. Anything written by man can be wrong, so u shouldnt follow anything religous blindly[/quote]

God is capable of writing stuff on his own. See also: the 10 Commandments.[/quote]

Very true, but he still had a man issue them.

This is thread has evolved very strangely. The topic of religion is a very interesting one. Allthough very religious myself, I dont want to get in the middle of your guys debate.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Let's see here... words that have been redefined over our country's history for the betterment of society.[/quote]

MrBadExample, you live up to your name. Let's take a look at your examples....

[quote name='MrBadExample']1. Population - originally slaves only counted as 3/5 of a person for the census.[/quote]

Bad example. The definition of "population" never changed. For that matter, the definition of "person" never changed. Now, some people or governments considered slaves more or less of a person as the times changed, but the actual definition never changed.

[quote name='MrBadExample']2. Voter - women couldn't vote until 1920.[/quote]

Another bad example. The definition of "voter" is "one who votes." When women were not allowed to vote, the definition of the word itself did not change.

[quote name='MrBadExample']3. Marriage - in colonial times most marriages were arranged for financial gain rather than love.[/quote]

And the definition of "marriage" has always been "a union between a man and a woman." That leaves open the possibility for a platonic marriage, a marriage of convenience, or any other reason for marriage. Again, the reasons for a marriage do not change the definition of marriage itself.

[quote name='MrBadExample']All gay people are asking for are the same benefits as heterosexuals. No more, no less. There are various benefits, financial and otherwise, to a marriage as opposed to a civil union.[/quote]

Great. Then I wholeheartedly support granting civil unions the same rights as marriage. Just don't call it "marriage," because it is not.

[quote name='MrBadExample']If history is any indication, people will not be denied their basic rights. In the last 10 years alone there has been a big shift towards more acceptance of gays and society hasn't suffered at all.[/quote]

Since when is marriage a basic right? What about the guy who can't get a girlfriend; doesn't he have a right to get married anyway? What about the guy who likes 8-year-old boys; why should his right to marry be denied? What about the three people who want to get married to each other? Marriage is not a basic right in any of those cases. Put simply, you do not have the right to redefine words just to fit your own wants.

[quote name='PsyClerk']OMG Harry Potter is TEH Jeebus?!?!!!11!!![/quote]

He's Jeebus 2.0, not backwards compatible with Jeebus 1. No hard drive either.

[quote name='Ericnmel99']This is thread has evolved very strangely. The topic of religion is a very interesting one. Allthough very religious myself, I dont want to get in the middle of your guys debate.[/quote]

I can understand that. There are a helluva lot of Liberals around here, and while I don't consider myself a full conservative, I probably come across that way. I tend to say that I'm an independent and will vote for who I believe is the best person for our country.

But I'm really not knowledgeable about politics too much, so I try to stay away from it when I can.

[quote name='abates17'][quote name='MrBadExample']Let's see here... words that have been redefined over our country's history for the betterment of society.[/quote]

MrBadExample, you live up to your name. Let's take a look at your examples....

[quote name='MrBadExample']1. Population - originally slaves only counted as 3/5 of a person for the census.[/quote]

Bad example. The definition of "population" never changed. For that matter, the definition of "person" never changed. Now, some people or governments considered slaves more or less of a person as the times changed, but the actual definition never changed.

[quote name='MrBadExample']2. Voter - women couldn't vote until 1920.[/quote]

Another bad example. The definition of "voter" is "one who votes." When women were not allowed to vote, the definition of the word itself did not change.

[quote name='MrBadExample']3. Marriage - in colonial times most marriages were arranged for financial gain rather than love.[/quote]

And the definition of "marriage" has always been "a union between a man and a woman." That leaves open the possibility for a platonic marriage, a marriage of convenience, or any other reason for marriage. Again, the reasons for a marriage do not change the definition of marriage itself.

[quote name='MrBadExample']All gay people are asking for are the same benefits as heterosexuals. No more, no less. There are various benefits, financial and otherwise, to a marriage as opposed to a civil union.[/quote]

Great. Then I wholeheartedly support granting civil unions the same rights as marriage. Just don't call it "marriage," because it is not.

[quote name='MrBadExample']If history is any indication, people will not be denied their basic rights. In the last 10 years alone there has been a big shift towards more acceptance of gays and society hasn't suffered at all.[/quote]

Since when is marriage a basic right? What about the guy who can't get a girlfriend; doesn't he have a right to get married anyway? What about the guy who likes 8-year-old boys; why should his right to marry be denied? What about the three people who want to get married to each other? Marriage is not a basic right in any of those cases. Put simply, you do not have the right to redefine words just to fit your own wants.[/quote]

Damn, that's pretty good stuff.

Since when is marriage a basic right? What about the guy who can't get a girlfriend; doesn't he have a right to get married anyway? What about the guy who likes 8-year-old boys; why should his right to marry be denied? What about the three people who want to get married to each other? Marriage is not a basic right in any of those cases. Put simply, you do not have the right to redefine words just to fit your own wants.

Everyone has the right to marry. Even though the guy who cant get a gf has the right to marry once he finds one. Well first off there are age restictions to marriage so no he can't marry a lil boy. I have no problem with 3 people getting married to each other. Their is a mormon church by my house and I have no problem with their lifestyle cause they are not effecting mind. Let them live in peace, dont bring religous morals into politcal debates[/quote]

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']

Everyone has the right to marry. Even though the guy who cant get a gf has the right to marry once he finds one. Well first off there are age restictions to marriage so no he can't marry a lil boy. I have no problem with 3 people getting married to each other. Their is a mormon church by my house and I have no problem with their lifestyle cause they are not effecting mind. Let them live in peace, dont bring religous morals into politcal debates[/quote][/quote]

This entire commentary has been a huge clusterfluck of religious and political morals, so I don't see why we should stop now.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']

Everyone has the right to marry. Even though the guy who cant get a gf has the right to marry once he finds one. Well first off there are age restictions to marriage so no he can't marry a lil boy. I have no problem with 3 people getting married to each other. Their is a mormon church by my house and I have no problem with their lifestyle cause they are not effecting mind. Let them live in peace, dont bring religous morals into politcal debates[/quote][/quote]

Not much of a point, but affect would probably be the better word choice in that situation. Effect, while not entirely wrong in that situation, just doesn't flow as nicely.

NOOOOOOO!!!
DARN YOU SNEAKY!!
DARN YOU DARKE KATT!!!
YOU AND YOUR INSIPID GRAMMAR CAMPAIGN ARE INFECTING MY MIND!
NOOOOOOOO!!

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']

Not much of a point, but affect would probably be the better word choice in that situation. Effect, while not entirely wrong in that situation, just doesn't flow as nicely.

NOOOOOOO!!!
DARN YOU SNEAKY!!
DARN YOU DARKE KATT!!!
NOOOOOOOO!![/quote]

You know, I still get affect and effect confused at times. Damn, the English language!!!

[quote name='abates17'][quote name='MrBadExample']Let's see here... words that have been redefined over our country's history for the betterment of society.[/quote]

MrBadExample, you live up to your name. Let's take a look at your examples....[/quote]

First off you're just nitpicking so I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this but...

If one year you take a census and only count slaves as 3/5 of a person and the next time you count them as a whole person, you definition of "population" has changed.

If once a voter meant a land-owning white man and now it means anyone who is legally able to cast a vote regardless of sex, race or land ownership, the definition of "voter" has changed.

And here are the definitions of marriage from dictionary.com:

1. a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.

b. The state of being married; wedlock.

c. A common-law marriage.

d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

2. A wedding.

3. A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).

4. Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

You can note that only one of those specifies a man and woman. And regardless of that fact, definitions constantly change and they should. Denying gay people the right to marry doesn't help anyone. It's funny how some people want to deride the gay community as being very promiscuous, yet when they want to get married and commit to one another, they don't like that either.

Edit: As for the rest of your post, I think Ikohn4ever covered that pretty well. and I don't need to repeat what he said.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']

NOOOOOOO!!!
DARN YOU SNEAKY!!
DARN YOU DARKE KATT!!!
NOOOOOOOO!![/quote]

This actually stuck in my head. I had to resist the urge to post 'affect.'

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='abates17'][quote name='MrBadExample']Let's see here... words that have been redefined over our country's history for the betterment of society.[/quote]

MrBadExample, you live up to your name. Let's take a look at your examples....[/quote]

First off you're just nitpicking so I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this but...

If one year you take a census and only count slaves as 3/5 of a person and the next time you count them as a whole person, you definition of "population" has changed.

If once a voter meant a land-owning white man and now it means anyone who is legally able to cast a vote regardless of sex, race or land ownership, the definition of "voter" has changed.

And here are the definitions of marriage from dictionary.com:

d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

2. A wedding.

3. A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).

4. Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

You can note that only one of those specifies a man and woman. And regardless of that fact, definitions constantly change and they should. Denying gay people the right to marry doesn't help anyone. It's funny how some people want to deride the gay community as being very promiscuous, yet when they want to get married and commit to one another, they don't like that either.

Edit: As for the rest of your post, I think Ikohn4ever covered that pretty well. and I don't need to repeat what he said.[/quote]

Yes, but it happens to be the first and most important definition on the list.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yes, but it happens to be the first and most important definition on the list.[/quote]

Let's not confuse "most common" with "most important."

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yes, but it happens to be the first and most important definition on the list.[/quote]

Let's not confuse "most common" with "most important."[/quote]

Well, usually the first definition is what is most common, so I think it would be fair to say that it's the most important definition.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yes, but it happens to be the first and most important definition on the list.[/quote]

Well, usually the first definition is what is most common, so I think it would be fair to say that it's the most important definition.[/quote]

You're doing exactly what I told you not to do.

If I said to you "duck" and you picture an aquatic bird while a chainsaw-wielding maniac lops your head off, tell me which definition was "most important"?

[quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='MrBadExample'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yes, but it happens to be the first and most important definition on the list.[/quote]

Well, usually the first definition is what is most common, so I think it would be fair to say that it's the most important definition.[/quote]

You're doing exactly what I told you not to do.

If I said to you "duck" and you picture an aquatic bird while a chainsaw-wielding maniac lops your head off, tell me which definition was "most important"?[/quote]

Hahaha, I see your point, but in the case for what we were talking about, I believe the first example being that marriage is between a man and a woman as the most important one. Of course, this arguement probably will never get resolved since we may not agree on the same religious principles.

[quote name='MrBadExample']First off you're just nitpicking so I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this but...[/quote]

No, I'm not nitpicking, which is precisely my point. There is a significant difference between the actual definition of a word and someone's personal definition that they are using.

[quote name='MrBadExample']If one year you take a census and only count slaves as 3/5 of a person and the next time you count them as a whole person, you definition of "population" has changed[/quote]

But the definition of "population" itself has not changed! The only think that has changed is how particular people are counted towards this population figure. The definition of the word itself remains unchanged.

[quote name='MrBadExample']If once a voter meant a land-owning white man[/quote]

Stop right there. See, the definition of "voter" has NEVER meant "a land-owning white man." It is simply "one who votes" or "one who can vote." Laws can change and affect the people who can vote, but again, that does not change the definition of the word itself.

[quote name='MrBadExample']And here are the definitions of marriage from dictionary.com:

You can note that only one of those specifies a man and a woman.[/quote]

First of all, definition A is the primary definition of marriage, and the one that matches historical, societal, and religious definitions of marriage. Definition B simply follows from A. Definition C isn't really a definition at all, but a completely separate entity, as is D. C and D are both marriages in name only, and possibly in the legal sense, but are not marriages in the traditional, historical, societal, and religious senses. Note also that both C and D are qualified definitions, where the definition includes the word being defined. That's a tip-off right there.

[quote name='MrBadExample']And regardless of that fact, definitions constantly change and they should.[/quote]

No, they shouldn't. Words mean things! Redefining words simply dilutes their meaning.

For example, let's say that I'm a World War II veteran. Now, for some reason, the government decides to allow anyone to become a World War II veteran, as long as they fill out an application and pay a $10 processing fee. Now, there are people walking around who were not even born during World War II, who are suddenly World War II veterans! Is that hurting actual veterans? Yes, because it dilutes the meaning of the word "veteran." It used to mean something, and now that meaning has been diluted and expanded to something less than what it used to mean.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Denying gay people the right to marry doesn't help anyone.[/quote]

It helps keep the definition of marriage from being degraded more than it already has. Marriage has already diminished to the point when people think it is fine to get married, then get divorced a week later when things don't work out. We don't need marriage to become any more diluted.

[quote name='MrBadExample']It's funny how some people want to deride the gay community as being very promiscuous, yet when they want to get married and commit to one another, they don't like that either.[/quote]

Hey, commit to each other all you want. Just don't call it marriage.

[quote name='MrBadExample']Edit: As for the rest of your post, I think Ikohn4ever covered that pretty well. and I don't need to repeat what he said.[/quote]

I'll address that too, while I'm here: My point is, why shouldn't a single person be able to get married all by himself? I mean, he's not hurting anyone, and maybe he doesn't want the stigma of not being married! Why shouldn't he be allowed to do that?

The answer: because it further dilutes what a marriage means. A marriage used to mean a man and woman who made a lifelong commitment to each other. Lately, it means a man and woman who decide that maybe they want to get married for a little while, as long as it stays pretty easy and doesn't cause too much trouble. Pretty soon, it might mean any two people who decide that they want to commit to each other for however long. Eventually, maybe it will mean any person who decides that they want to be married, whether they have someone else in their life or not. And it that point, the word "marriage" has become completely meaningless.

[quote name='MrBadExample']If I said to you "duck" and you picture an aquatic bird while a chainsaw-wielding maniac lops your head off, tell me which definition was "most important"?[/quote]

Since you gave a command, then you were obviously using the verb form of "duck," not the noun form. Thus, the two definitions in question are definitions of two different words.

Well here goes another great post:

My biggest problem with Gay Marriage is that it does open a large hole in the marriage system. Please make a strong argument for Gay Marriage and I bet this same exact arguement could be made for any number of degenerate behavior such as Pedophiles. Sorry but I don't believe that gays are natural...I believe its a defect and/or a cultural problem. I have kids and my beliefs became even stronger as I had children. There is something very unnatural about gays. If one of my kids become gay I would be extremely unhappy about it and might even disown him/her. Basically I procreate for my family...if a child becomes Gay the line ends with them. Gays don't procreate.

I am terribly sickened by the notion that in America Gay Marriages may become legal. Let them have some civil union crap that's defined specifically for them but if you turn marriage into a "they love each other" definition then you will see more than just 2 guys in love. You will see degenerates trying to say they should marriage too. What about incest? Would you let 2 brothers get married if they loved each other? Why not? Would you let a son marry his mom ....or even worse..his Dad? Ugh...that's disgusting and I hope you feel the same. This is how I feel about gay marriage. It also DOES encrouch on the benefits given to many married couples. America needs families to make more Americans. Families work hard and pay good taxes and create more tax payers. I don't see how gay couples contribute to American society that they should be rewarded with the same tax breaks that I may need for my family. There is only so much in taxes the government can give back. I got a wife and 4 kids and I need all the tax breaks I can get. Does a gay male couple need tax breaks? Usually gay men are very well to do. You have 2 men who enjoy a fair income. Usually they have no children and they share a smaller dwelling. If they are allowed to be married they will get additional tax benefits that would cut into mine.

I see no reason to suddenly allow Gay Marriage. It's out of nowhere that gays suddenly want to be married. WTF for? They gave up hetero life and decided to become gay...wtf.

Blah.

As for Interacial Marriages.. my wife is black and I am white. There has been interracial marriages since the dawn of time. At one time a german marrying a french was considered interracial. Cleopatra and Mark Anthony was interracial. Show me some historical precedent for a gay marriage? I can only think of Babylon.

The world will laugh at us and call us immoral bastards if we allow gay marriage.

In france:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3779313.stm

[quote name='defender']The world will laugh at us and call us immoral bastards if we allow gay marriage. [/quote]

I think most countries already laugh at us for obsessing over such a paltry thing. In response to the rest of your rant, which seems to be arguing that gay marriage is a slippery slope I ask you this: who is the victim in a same sex marriage? You mention pedophilia, where there's a clear abuser/abused dynamic, what's the corresponding relationship in the gay marriage scenario?

[quote name='abates17']Stop right there. See, the definition of "voter" has NEVER meant "a land-owning white man." It is simply "one who votes" or "one who can vote." [/quote]

You just made my point here. "One who can vote" meant something totally different in 1800 than it does in 2004.

Back to the point, divorce does more to tarnish the image of marriage so why doesn't the religious right go after divorce laws rather than worry about gay marriage?

Defender, I am sorry, but I just have to say something about your stupid post above. First of all, yes it is their decision to be gay, but does that mean that we should not allow them to get married. This is America, the land of the free.......except for gay people I guess. The way I see it, if they love each other, and want to get married, then let them. Who is it hurting???

Sure, you could argue that its "immoral" as you say, or perhaps that the bible says that gays people are bad. Thats crap. How is it different from a man and a woman getting married. Or a black man and a white woman getting married. Or maybe even a white man and a black woman in your case. Oh, but not gay people. Ohhhh, thats bad, God would surely frown on that. The point is, its not different for any of these people. What about divorce? How could gay marriage be worse than divorce. It really does make me sick! I am not gay myself, but I just felt the need to voice my disgust with ignorant people like you.

Just say to yourself, how does gay marriage affect me??

[quote name='"MrBadExample"']You just made my point here. "One who can vote" meant something totally different in 1800 than it does in 2004.{/quote]

No, "one who can vote" meant the exact same thing in both time periods. Having different people who can fall into that category doesn't change the definition of the words themselves. Nowhere is 1800 or 2004 is age, gender or race anywhere in the definition of the word "voter." You seem to have a skewed idea of how definitions of words work. Here's a hint: putting a Milky Way in the freezer doesn't change the definition of the word "cold."

[quote name='MrBadExample']Back to the point, divorce does more to tarnish the image of marriage so why doesn't the religious right go after divorce laws rather than worry about gay marriage?[/quote]

Ah, interesting question! I would say that divorce does tarnish the image of marriage, but it does not change the definition of marriage itself, so it is not as much of a target. Plus, divorce is already so entrenched in society that one could argue that the damage has already been done, and so the focus should be on the battles that can be won. But you also make the mistaken assumption that only one threat to marriage can be fought at a time, which is simply untrue.

[quote name='abates17']Here's a hint: putting a Milky Way in the freezer doesn't change the definition of the word "cold."[/quote]

I have a feeling I could use this somewhere, but I just can't put my finger on it.

[quote name='Specter']Defender, I am sorry, but I just have to say something about your stupid post above. First of all, yes it is their decision to be gay, but does that mean that we should not allow them to get married. This is America, the land of the free.......except for gay people I guess. The way I see it, if they love each other, and want to get married, then let them. Who is it hurting???

Sure, you could argue that its "immoral" as you say, or perhaps that the bible says that gays people are bad. Thats crap. How is it different from a man and a woman getting married. Or a black man and a white woman getting married. Or maybe even a white man and a black woman in your case. Oh, but not gay people. Ohhhh, thats bad, God would surely frown on that. The point is, its not different for any of these people. What about divorce? How could gay marriage be worse than divorce. It really does make me sick! I am not gay myself, but I just felt the need to voice my disgust with ignorant people like you.

Just say to yourself, how does gay marriage affect me??[/quote]

Did you NOT read my whole "stupid" post? I stated clearly EXACTLY how gay marriage will affect me and my family. Also I don't care what any religious group says about Gay Marriage. I have my own beliefs. Pedophiles include 14 yr olds marrying 40 year olds. Don't 14 yr have a say? They don't really have to be victims if they "love" each other. Also you didnt say anything about how I talk about incestual marriages. Did you just read my first sentence and ignore the rest? WTF

Here is a simple challenge to Pro-Gay marriage people.

Please write a 5 point post why gays should be allowed the right to be married. Go on...convince me. Let's hear your best argument.

[quote name='defender']Here is a simple challenge to Pro-Gay marriage people.

Please write a 5 point post why gays should be allowed the right to be married. Go on...convince me. Let's hear your best argument.[/quote]

Somehow, I don't think you're really going to be convinced no matter what gets said, so I hope no one wastes their time on this. I do ask you to post your sources from your earlier message citing the statistics on how gay marriage would affect taxes, because that's really the only legitimate argument I've heard so far in opposition of it, assuming you didn't just make it all up.

[quote name='defender']Gays don't procreate. [/quote]

So by your rationale should we not let infertile couples marry? What about couples who chose not to have children? Should they not get the marriage tax breaks? How about women past their reproductive age? What if a couple loses a child? Should they divorce?

Lack of procreation is not a reasonable justification for denying someone a marriage license. Gays can adopt as well and become wonderful parents.

As for you disowning your children if they are gay, scary, just truly scary. I hope your children are never mistaken for being gay and beaten up by someone who only knows fear and hatred for people different from them.

[quote name='"abates17"'][quote name='MrBadExample']You just made my point here. "One who can vote" meant something totally different in 1800 than it does in 2004.{/quote]

No, "one who can vote" meant the exact same thing in both time periods. Having different people who can fall into that category doesn't change the definition of the words themselves. Nowhere is 1800 or 2004 is age, gender or race anywhere in the definition of the word "voter." You seem to have a skewed idea of how definitions of words work. Here's a hint: putting a Milky Way in the freezer doesn't change the definition of the word "cold."

[quote name='MrBadExample']Back to the point, divorce does more to tarnish the image of marriage so why doesn't the religious right go after divorce laws rather than worry about gay marriage?[/quote]

Ah, interesting question! I would say that divorce does tarnish the image of marriage, but it does not change the definition of marriage itself, so it is not as much of a target. Plus, divorce is already so entrenched in society that one could argue that the damage has already been done, and so the focus should be on the battles that can be won. But you also make the mistaken assumption that only one threat to marriage can be fought at a time, which is simply untrue.[/quote]

Why are you so anal about definitions anyway? Gay marriages are not going to threaten any heterosexual marriages at all. Are heterosexual couples going to start breaking up because gays can marry? It's a silly argument.

So the definition of marriage becomes more inclusive. So fucking what! Sorry, Webster, you have to buy a new dictionary. Get over it.

Welcome to the 21st century, people! In 30 years the fight against gay marriage is going to look as stupid and ill-advised as the fight for to keep black people in the back of the bus.

Are you even Gay? Or married? Do you have any kids? Because if the answer to these questions is NO then your opinion on the subject is meaningless to me. You are entitled to your opinion but I dont see what experience you have with the matter or how you should even care about it.

I want to hear the reason why gays should the right to be married...Please oh please oh please tell me them. I want to smack you right in the face with my reply. It will go something like this.

1. Gay should be married because they have a right to like everyone else.

My reply: Ok...so do incestual couples. NEXT

Cmon...state the reasons WHY I should be for gay marriages.

Lets go...cmon ...you all rebuttle our reasons to be against it but how about you state why your for it....whats the logic?

i have a feeling that once gay marriage becomes a nation wide thing, there will be other groups standing up asking for the right to get married.

who are the people who think that men should be allowed to have multiple wives? dont remember what group of people they are, but i believe they will be next to request that they be allowed to marry multiple women.

[quote name='defender']Are you even Gay? Or married? Do you have any kids? Because if the answer to these questions is NO then your opinion on the subject is meaningless to me. You are entitled to your opinion but I dont see what experience you have with the matter or how you should even care about it.

I want to hear the reason why gays should the right to be married...Please oh please oh please tell me them. I want to smack you right in the face with my reply. It will go something like this.

Lets go...cmon ...you all rebuttle our reasons to be against it but how about you state why your for it....whats the logic?[/quote]

The logic is there's no rational reason to be against it. You seemed to have some tax figures that could be counted, but haven't posted the source yet.

No country that allows gay marriage has imploded because of allowing gays to marry. If there's no harm in an action, what possible reason is there to disallow it?

[quote name='defender']Are you even Gay? Or married? Do you have any kids? Because if the answer to these questions is NO then your opinion on the subject is meaningless to me. You are entitled to your opinion but I dont see what experience you have with the matter or how you should even care about it.

Lets go...cmon ...you all rebuttle our reasons to be against it but how about you state why your for it....whats the logic?[/quote]

1. Because US citizens should have the right to marry.
2. Because it is really non of your business, just like it is none of my business if you have an interracial marriage.
3. Because religion is mostly dominating the argument, which really should have no part of gov actions.
4. Gays and pedophillia have nothing in common, that is a horrible example, its like comparing interracial marriage and beastilaity.
5. Who the hell cares what other countries think what we do, we went to war when most countries condemned it and most americans dont care.
6. When you dont allow gays to marry and just give them a civil union it decreases their status as citizens.
7. All US citizens are created equal, and have the right to pursue happiness.

So you are basically stating you DONT have a reason that I should be for gay-marriage?

Many here have stated LOGICAL reasons to be against gay marriage. Sorry but I dont have to google for results to know that I get tax breaks for being married. And I also dont need to prove that if the gay population suddenly got extra tax benefits from marriage that the money wouldnt come from my pockets. It's common sense. If I have to prove common sense to you then maybe that's the problem. Maybe you lack commen sense enough to know that gay marriage isnt something we should condone or allow by law.

I have stated over and over again my reason to against gay marriage.

I havent heard ONE of you state a reason why I should be for it.

PLEASE STATE THE REASONS WHY I SHOULD BE FOR GAY MARRIAGE.

Okay, for all the slow people - We are debating whether gay people should be allowed to marry. Not incestuous marriage, not polygamy, not bestiality marriage, not underage incestuous bestiality polygamy. Just one gay couple marrying. That's it. NEXT!

I'm for gay marriage because there is no rational reason to be against it. It will be a consentual couple wanting to legally recognize their relationship. It won't hurt me or anyone else. They pay taxes and deserve the benefits of marriage as much as anyone else.

Defender, I can't tell you why you should be for it. That's up to you. All I can say is it never hurts to be a more tolerant person. And if there is a God of Irony (and I believe there is), the more you are against it, the more likely one of your children will turn out to be gay.

bread's done
Back