Uh Oh, It's The Big O Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Scorch']For those that care, apparently this is a teaser for a new game that will be unveiled on Monday.[/QUOTE]

As long as it isn't that awful-looking Brawl game that had its trailer leak last year, I'll be content.

[quote name='JJSP']It makes sense for Daniel Bryan to interfere in Punk's match with Kane - he's a heel as is Kane, and he used Kane to try and hurt Punk prior to their title match. It doesn't make sense for Kane (as a heel) to do Punk's bidding (as a face) and for Punk to attack Bryan after the bell.

I guess it somewhat works since Kane is supposed to be a "monster" who will attack anyone regardless of their alignment, but Punk jumping Daniel Bryan after the bell is just stupid - it doesn't make Punk look strong since Bryan just got his ass beat with a chair, and it doesn't help Bryan at all since he just laid there and took it.[/QUOTE]

Kane didn't do Punk's bidding. Kane did Kane's bidding. Kane thought Bryan was going to strike him with the chair again and thought, "fuck this!" and wrecked Bryan. That was pretty self-apparent if you can suppose that Kane has a memory that extends back to the previous Smackdown.

Punk wasn't trying to look strong. Punk was getting even. If you watched the shows and remember back, after Tensei took out Punk, Bryan threw the Yes Lock on him. Hell if you look at his entire demeanor and tone on the commentary, he was basically sarcastic the entire time. Your entire argument is that Punk should be a goody-two-shoes and only be willing to attack people during a match. Which is bizarre since Punk was just getting Bryan back.

[quote name='Regian']As long as it isn't that awful-looking Brawl game that had its trailer leak last year, I'll be content.[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't be, Brawl was delayed indefinitely.

[quote name='Scorch']Shouldn't be, Brawl was delayed indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming it's not WWE 13, but an entirely different thing?

Thanks for the heads up, Scorch.

I'm thinking a game with ECW, WCW, and WWE characters, arenas, and music would be pretty fun. Of course, I would expect generic music in place of all copyrighted music. But, an easy remedy would be to allow people to tweak wrassler details and upload music. (Raven without Come Out And Play is just wrong.)

[quote name='bhk']I'm assuming it's not WWE 13, but an entirely different thing?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping it is. Because now that I think about it, THQ hyped WWE '12 as "Bigger. Badder. Better.". So, why the next year would you be using "Revolution" as the hype factor when you've practically redone the game already?

Though, maybe there's hope that they do re-re-do the scheme for WWE '13. Shit was way too dumbed down.

I'm guessing that it's WWE '13. There were reports that Waltman had been approached for inclusion in WWE '13 but they couldn't reach an agreement (I'm assuming that they have since been able to reach one). Road Dogg tweeted a few months back that he was doing some voiceovers for WWE '13.

Based on the video, we can safely assume that HBK, Rock, Piper, Austin, Shane, Bret, Brock and Nash would be in. Hall is doing nothing, so he could be in, and Hogan's got an agreement with WWE to be in games, so he could be in as well. Pretty sure I saw Heyman in the video, and he is back with WWE. Foley could appear as Cactus Jack and/or Mankind.

This could be amazing.

WWE '13 is the game according to pwinsider.com. Maybe they'll have some re-live great moments in wrestling or something. Giant Gram 2000 on the Dreamcast had a Historical Mode and I sucked at it, even following the guides. You had to do certain moves at certain times and you would unlock videos, characters, moves, and some other things.

You only way these teasers videos could not be a letdown was if the game they may be announcing was a new game using the No Mercy engine that included classic wrestlers.

When I think about it, that would be better than anything they could actually do on any Raw. :)

[quote name='Golden Idol']Kane didn't do Punk's bidding. Kane did Kane's bidding. Kane thought Bryan was going to strike him with the chair again and thought, "fuck this!" and wrecked Bryan. That was pretty self-apparent if you can suppose that Kane has a memory that extends back to the previous Smackdown.

Punk wasn't trying to look strong. Punk was getting even. If you watched the shows and remember back, after Tensei took out Punk, Bryan threw the Yes Lock on him. Hell if you look at his entire demeanor and tone on the commentary, he was basically sarcastic the entire time. Your entire argument is that Punk should be a goody-two-shoes and only be willing to attack people during a match. Which is bizarre since Punk was just getting Bryan back.[/QUOTE]

Oh, get over it. The writing is trash, the presentation is trash, and you completely ignore not only that, but important personality characteristics and power dynamics that are necessary to retain the face/heel dichotomy.

You're trying to make sense of writing for a program that can't even maintain sense or consistency to it's *own writers* for a single week. Those same writers then double down and compound the mistake.

Just stop.

[quote name='Chase']Thanks for the heads up, Scorch.

I'm thinking a game with ECW, WCW, and WWE characters, arenas, and music would be pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

As long as they give it enjoyable gameplay (i.e., not Legends of Wrestlemania or All-Stars), I'm all in for that. I'll wait and see, though - after Jericho's re-debut, it's evident that promo videos in WWE have little relation to reality. It could be Crush Hour 2: Electric Boogaloo for all we know.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, get over it. The writing is trash, the presentation is trash, and you completely ignore not only that, but important personality characteristics and power dynamics that are necessary to retain the face/heel dichotomy.

You're trying to make sense of writing for a program that can't even maintain sense or consistency to it's *own writers* for a single week. Those same writers then double down and compound the mistake.

Just stop.[/QUOTE]

In other words, shut the fuck up, Zen Davis.

[quote name='mykevermin']As long as they give it enjoyable gameplay (i.e., not Legends of Wrestlemania or All-Stars), I'm all in for that. I'll wait and see, though - after Jericho's re-debut, it's evident that promo videos in WWE have little relation to reality. It could be Crush Hour 2: Electric Boogaloo for all we know.[/QUOTE]

When those promo videos first popped up, I had high hopes for some sort of WWE-take on the Doomsday Killer story from Dexter. I pictured Jericho stalking CM Punk, abducting his friends or family, and, in the grand coup de grâce, Jericho would reveal Punk tied to an upside-down cross (which is used by Satanists) with Punk's head towards the ground. Jericho would force Punk to consume booze, and then Punk would disappear for months while Jericho would be boasting, winning, and celebrating putting Punk into exile. Punk would then reemerge behind Jericho during one of Jericho's music gigs and break a guitar over his head. We'd be treated to one, final match, where Punk would pick up the win, sending Jericho into exile.

If only.

But yeah, I will let out a laugh if this "Revolution" hype is for WWE WrestleFest for XBLA. :lol:

So almost nude Brooke Adams dancing is perfectly ok, but implied anal rape and/or bleeding is not?

Bullshit has been called.

Dancing girls are good, anal rape not so much. If you feel differently about it, you might want to see a therapist.

Or as George The Animal Steele would say. GIRL....NICE...PRETTY....BUTT....RAPE....BAD MAN...:lol:

I really love Monkey's gifs and look forward to the updates after every show. New favorite gif:

D0HMO.gif

Just kidding, nothing beats this

NOGlB.gif

[quote name='Clak']Wtf, that Adams video is gone. What does youtube have against women with nice asses?[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain that the 2nd contestant dropped trou towards the end.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, get over it. The writing is trash, the presentation is trash, and you completely ignore not only that, but important personality characteristics and power dynamics that are necessary to retain the face/heel dichotomy.

Just stop.[/QUOTE]

Listen. I know you like making yourself feel better at the expense of the WWE. It's something that works for you. I get it. But if you can't keep up with the program, can't remember that Show had been punching heels in the face over his entire face run, can't remember that Punk has done as much to Del Rio, Jericho, and Christian, then perhaps the WWE isn't the problem. It's you.

I don't have to get over much. Punk just hit six months as champion and some of you need something to bitch about because you got tired of him as champion. And you're grasping at straws when you suddenly start complaining, or validating complaints, about how a wrestler isn't following good guy "dynamics" when consistently faces have been getting back at heels for the past twenty years.

What? Did your brains suddenly stop working? Roll the footage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7eXw-2Pry8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSkuToB37M0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYp9DKDdsU

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount of asshurt displayed in the post above ^ is absolutely precious.

No one forgot about it, it's just a continuing gripe. :roll:

Faces just shouldn't have long title runs, it's the chase for the title that is the best part about faces. As it is now, the entire product is utterly boring...it drags. Faces are boring. Face Punk is boring. Punk has already reached Cena levels of ridiculousness...and he doesn't come off as being credible anymore, he's just..., so darn boring.

I honestly haven't read any of the argument carefully...I mean, when I see three CM Punk videos in a single post... I really can't fathom knowingly wasting my time on reabsorbing any of that garbage again. ...but I think, especially with the whole Summer of Punk thing, with Brock and Heyman back...probably more than a few of us thinks it's about freaking time Punk turned heel and maybe joins up with Heyman and Brock.

I mean, there's no comparison, heel Punk is loads more entertaining. ...but then who would be the best to have as his counterpart..., well, sadly, at the moment, no one. If they didn't try so hard to sway fan opinion on DB and just end up confusing everyone, they'd probably already have had a really good setup on their hands..., but the beauty of having a heel Punk is that he doesn't need to have someone go up against him right away, he can just be an arrogant, cheating, lowlife, sonuvab- until they can get someone up to the point they need that person to be...

...but the T-shirt sales (you know, the Best in the World ones most fans don't even realize is the Chicago flag) would likely suffer. ...and we can't have that now can we?

I know what they're trying to do with Punk in making him a cool, smirky Austinesque face. He's so anti-authority that he laughs in the face of traditional good-guy tropes; his "punk rock" image won't let him conform and play by the rules. I get it, I do.

My complaint with that (and with the videos posted above) is that they give us no reason to actually cheer for him. Choking someone out until they give you a match? That's Heel Booking 101, an updated version of Macho in the ropes and Jake with the cobra. Attacking a nearly unconscious wrestler after the bell? I've seen it before when K-Fed pinned Cena with help from Umaga. Faces shouldn't have to stoop to the levels of heels, revenge or not. Heels are supposed to be dicks, cheating for any advantage they can get. Faces are supposed to win fair and square (but I'll give you that Punk's whole character goes against the rules).

Daniel Bryan a) losing on a missed call Sunday and b) getting beaten up with a chair and again after the match does two things: one, gives him a legitimate claim that he should be champion and two, makes me feel sorry for him and want him to get revenge. Neither of those are good when he's supposed to be a heel.

[quote name='xilly']The amount of asshurt displayed in the post above ^ is absolutely precious.

No one forgot about it, it's just a continuing gripe. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I didn't have to be asshurt when I am right. :booty:

If anything, Myke's ignorance about the product had me bewildered. It's like. I'm discussing why a face getting back at heels has been happening for years, and he's talking about how such ridiculous thing only shows why the WWE is garbage. It's based in stupidity and ignorance since he openly talks about missing the product.

[quote name='JJSP']I know what they're trying to do with Punk in making him a cool, smirky Austinesque face. He's so anti-authority that he laughs in the face of traditional good-guy tropes; his "punk rock" image won't let him conform and play by the rules. I get it, I do.

My complaint with that (and with the videos posted above) is that they give us no reason to actually cheer for him. Choking someone out until they give you a match? That's Heel Booking 101, an updated version of Macho in the ropes and Jake with the cobra. Attacking a nearly unconscious wrestler after the bell? I've seen it before when K-Fed pinned Cena with help from Umaga. Faces shouldn't have to stoop to the levels of heels, revenge or not. Heels are supposed to be dicks, cheating for any advantage they can get. Faces are supposed to win fair and square (but I'll give you that Punk's whole character goes against the rules).

Daniel Bryan a) losing on a missed call Sunday and b) getting beaten up with a chair and again after the match does two things: one, gives him a legitimate claim that he should be champion and two, makes me feel sorry for him and want him to get revenge. Neither of those are good when he's supposed to be a heel.[/QUOTE]

Well. Here is the thing. You may think that face shouldn't stoop to the levels of heels, revenge or not, but it happens in every single company and its happened for decades. Not just the WWE. To make it a major criticism of the company is a logical fallacy. Even in PWG, I guarantee that this happens.

Sometimes it's not about the face being fair and square. Sometimes its about the bad guy getting his. That's what people paid to see with Flair. They wanted to see Flair lose. Jericho went after Punk's family, doused him in alcohol, and smashed him in the head with a bottle. Punk is just supposed to stay cool until their match? Maybe that makes sense in keyfabe, but if start applying any kind of realistic expectation to that, a man would probably want revenge a slight bit sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xilly']The amount of asshurt displayed in the post above ^ is absolutely precious.

No one forgot about it, it's just a continuing gripe. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I didn't have to be asshurt when I am right. :booty:

If anything, Myke's ignorance about the product had me bewildered. It's like. I'm discussing why a face getting back at heels has been happening for years, and he's talking about how such ridiculous thing only shows why the WWE is garbage. It's based in stupidity and ignorance since he openly talks about missing the product.

[quote name='JJSP']I know what they're trying to do with Punk in making him a cool, smirky Austinesque face. He's so anti-authority that he laughs in the face of traditional good-guy tropes; his "punk rock" image won't let him conform and play by the rules. I get it, I do.

Daniel Bryan a) losing on a missed call Sunday and b) getting beaten up with a chair and again after the match does two things: one, gives him a legitimate claim that he should be champion and two, makes me feel sorry for him and want him to get revenge. Neither of those are good when he's supposed to be a heel.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7siDkVMvRY

Bryan DIDN'T lose on a missed call.

Bryan got pinned. Then seconds afterwards, when Bryan didn't let go the hold, Punk tapped. I think Daniel Bryan worked you with his mocked footage on Raw....

Anyway. Here is the thing. You may think that faces shouldn't stoop to the levels of heels, revenge or not, but it happens in every single company and its happened for decades. Not just the WWE. To make it a major criticism of the company is a logical fallacy. Even in PWG, I guarantee that this happens. Hell, their champion is Kevin Steen of all people.

Sometimes it's not about the face being fair and square. Sometimes its about the bad guy getting his. That's what people paid to see with Flair. They wanted to see Flair lose. Jericho went after Punk's family, doused him in alcohol, and smashed him in the head with a bottle. Punk is just supposed to stay cool until their match? Maybe that makes sense in keyfabe, but if we start applying any kind of realistic expectation to that, a man would probably want revenge a slight bit sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zbQj9fZLtI

Bobby Heenan's commentary explains my point perfectly. It's why he was one of the best in the business.

Also, much of your blathering rests on one silly premise: you willingly accept who WWE tells you to cheer or boo for at face value, without giving any critical thinking to whether or not what those people do are worthy of being cheered or booed.

in other words, shut the fuck up, Zen Davis.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zbQj9fZLtI

Bobby Heenan's commentary explains my point perfectly. It's why he was one of the best in the business.

Also, much of your blathering rests on one silly premise: you willingly accept who WWE tells you to cheer or boo for at face value, without giving any critical thinking to whether or not what those people do are worthy of being cheered or booed.

in other words, shut the fuck up, Zen Davis.[/QUOTE]

That's two things you're wrong about. I am not Zen Davis. I contacted Harry to see what his deal is. Secondly, you're stuck in 1986. You're hiding behind the boo/cheer argument when it's clear as day you'd prefer to crap on the company on a whole. The boo/cheer thing has nothing to do with it.

We're not talking about Bobby Heenan (whose commentary has little to do with what . We're not talking about who I willfully accept to cheer and boo for. There are plenty of reason I dislike CM Punk, but to say that the company should go back to a time and book their product in a manner where they were making far less money than they are now shows a basic failure to understand the business. What we're talking about is a booking standard that has existed since the territory system. If you fail to grasp that, that's your problem. Not mine.

"Jannetty tried to dive through the window to escape! Did you see that? What an act of cowardism!"

Bobby Heenan was definitely one of, if not the best heel commentator ever... He was so quick witted. I really can't think of anyone else at the moment that even comes close.

I know as a child, I hated his guts, but at some point, you do grow up and rewatching footage like the above, you really get to appreciate how brilliant this guy was and it's kind of sad comparing that to what we have today.

I remember watching this whole scene as a kid too and I remember Jannetty as being my favorite of the Rockers at the time, definitely one of the more memorable promos for me.

[quote name='Scorch']For those that care, apparently this is a teaser for a new game that will be unveiled on Monday.[/QUOTE]

it would be so awesome if it would be

WWE WITH AUTHORITY 2

Its just too freaking bad that game came out WAY too early for online gaming.. if a bigger company owned the rights It would of made millions easy today.

I miss that game

All Eve pics are always welcome Scorch. As a diva she's typical eye candy but with her all dressed up in her business attire lately .... Oh fuck wow

[quote name='Golden Idol']That's two things you're wrong about. I am not Zen Davis. I contacted Harry to see what his deal is. Secondly, you're stuck in 1986. You're hiding behind the boo/cheer argument when it's clear as day you'd prefer to crap on the company on a whole. The boo/cheer thing has nothing to do with it.

We're not talking about Bobby Heenan (whose commentary has little to do with what . We're not talking about who I willfully accept to cheer and boo for. There are plenty of reason I dislike CM Punk, but to say that the company should go back to a time and book their product in a manner where they were making far less money than they are now shows a basic failure to understand the business. What we're talking about is a booking standard that has existed since the territory system. If you fail to grasp that, that's your problem. Not mine.[/QUOTE]

Let's play hypothetically, then.

I'm watching WWE for the first time on Monday. I am told that Daniel Bryan is a guy that fans despise, and CM Punk a guy fans love. How can I view their actions as consistent with that premise?

It's being bumped back "to add 3D"...

..aka "We saw how Battleship did against the Avengers, we're not going to go out there and compete with The Avengers, Spider-Man and Batman!"

Anyone here play TEW?

[quote name='mykevermin']Let's play hypothetically, then.

I'm watching WWE for the first time on Monday. I am told that Daniel Bryan is a guy that fans despise, and CM Punk a guy fans love. How can I view their actions as consistent with that premise?[/QUOTE]

Sure thing. We'll play this game on Monday.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']With GI-Joe getting delay for 9 months, do you guys see The Rock coming back again to promote the movie?[/QUOTE]

I expected The Rock to be back around that time already, He is already expected to headline wrestlemania with Brock. That is if Brock stays around until then....

The new GI Joe movie was delayed? Since when?

(not that I care, the first one was hilariously awful in astonishing ways - the sequel looks to be a marked improvement, but I'm not risking money after the way the first film duped me. I figure it still owes me $13.50.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back