Uh Oh, It's The Big O Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mitch079']Oh, I bet they stop writing him into the storylines for that...oh wait.

Best Buy has a bunch of 5.99/6.99 WWE DVDs and a few 7.99 Blus online. Some in stock, some backordered 7-30 days.

DVDs
Andre the Giant
Biggest Knuckleheads
Blood Sport ECW - The Most Violent Matches
Bloodbath - Wrestling's Most Incredible Steel Cage Matches
Born to Controversy - The Roddy Piper Story
Bragging Rights 2009
Bragging Rights 2010
Cheating Death, Stealing Life - The Eddie Guerrero Story
Edge - A Decade of Decadence
Elimination Chamber 2011
Extreme Rules 2009
From the Vault - Shawn Michaels
Hell in a Cell 2009
Hell in a Cell 2010
History Of Intercontinental Championship
Hulk Hogan - The Ultimate Anthology
Jake "The Snake" Roberts - Pick Your Poison
John Morrison - Rock Star
McMahon
Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses - A Life in Wrestling
Nature Boy Ric Flair - The Definitive Collection
Night of Champions 2008
Night of Champions 2009
No Way Out 2008
No Way Out 2009
Raw Tenth Anniversary
Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen
Road Warriors - The Life and Death of Wrestling's Most Dominant Tag Team
Rob Van Dam - One of a Kind
Royal Rumble 2005
Royal Rumble 2006
Royal Rumble 2007
Royal Rumble 2008
Royal Rumble 2009
Royal Rumble 2011
Shawn Michaels - Boyhood Dream
Summerslam 2008
Summerslam 2009
Survivor Series 2008
Survivor Series 2009
The Best of Intercontinental Championship
The Greatest Superstars of Wrestlemania
The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect
The Rise + Fall of ECW
The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA
The Stone Cold Truth
The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling
The Twisted, Disturbed Life of Kane
The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection
TLC - Tables, Ladders and Chairs 2010
Twist of Fate - The Matt and Jeff Hardy Story
Undertaker - He Buries Them Alive
Undertaker 15-0
Vengeance 2005
Vengeance 2006
Vengeance 2007
Viva La Raza - The Legacy of Eddie Guerrero
Wrestlemania 23
Wrestlemania XIX

Brock Lesnar - Here Comes the Pain
John Cena - Wordlife
Rey Mysterio 619
The Monday Night War
Trish Stratus - 100% Stratusfaction Guarantee

7.99 Blus
John Cena Experience
Royal Rumble 2012
Smackdown Best of 2009-2010
Wrestlemania 25
Wrestlemania 26[/QUOTE]
If only he'd step up and fight Pacquiao. Dude only cares about the money, no actual love for boxing. No desire to really test himself.

[quote name='Clak']If only he'd step up and fight Pacquiao. Dude only cares about the money, no actual love for boxing. No desire to really test himself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Triple H is such a goddamn coward. He should have Pedigreed Mayweather right in the middle of the ring and told Larry Merchant that if Mayweather wouldn't fight Pacquiao, he would.

with the King of the Ring thing on Netflix, I finally saw the whole of the Angle - Shane oMac brawl.

Ho
Lee
Shit

The lack of severe concusions, fractured skulls and any other form of permanent injury from that match is simply astounding. I always thought that wrasslin McMahons were silly (particularly Vince whose schtick was already pretty lame by that time) but Shane earned every ounce of my respect with that match.

Oh yeah, those belly-to-belly botched suplexes through the KOTR set made me nauseous.

Starts at the 22 minute mark.. just hearing his head thunk on the concrete.. ugh I have a headache now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-yztMKj34

I just watched that again last week. That superplex off the board that was precariously balanced on the top rope was just a horrible accident waiting to happen. I was watching the original PPV with friends and when Angle was trying to suplex Shane through the second pane of glass we were actually begging for him to stop. It's a miracle that Shane didn't suffer a severe neck injury after being dropped on his head several times.

I don't know that I'd call them botches as in a screwed up move. Though maybe the set people put the scored breakaway glass on the other side?

Either way, everything in that match that happened outside of the ring was just sick.

He had his hand on it but it was really more of a token gesture. If their weight had shifted the wrong way it would have gotten real ugly despite the ref having his hand on it.

Reminds me of when Jeff Hardy jumped off the 25ft ladder on to CM Punk and there are 2 refs holding the ladder in place while "pleading" with him to come down.

Wrestlemania comes out on Blu-Ray tomorrow. I trust one of you will buy it and also take note of changes to the show (use of audio, commentary, cut segments, etc.).

[quote name='mykevermin']Wrestlemania comes out on Blu-Ray tomorrow. I trust one of you will buy it and also take note of changes to the show (use of audio, commentary, cut segments, etc.).[/QUOTE]

I'm debating on picking it up at Best Buy tomorrow for $15 (w/ the upgrade and save DVD promotion) or ordering it on Amazon for $10 (w/ a gift card that's on my account). I really want to watch it tomorrow and I want to ensure that I get the slipcover, so I may just go pick it up at Best Buy.

You know. I've been looking at these DVDs and I wanted to ask you for your guys consensus on the King of Ring as a whole. I watched the first one when they put Bret Hart on the throne and followed it up with Owen, Mabel, and Austin. It seemed like the perfect springboard to launch guys like Owen and Austin into the main event.

What went wrong? Where did it lose it's luster? Is it because they ran out of top quality guys to push?Was it because they pushed the wrong guys? Or was it because the felt the concept of being a king had run it's course?

King of the Ring Winners:

King of the Ring (1993) Bret Hart
King of the Ring (1994) Owen Hart
King of the Ring (1995) Mabel
King of the Ring (1996) Steve Austin
King of the Ring (1997) Triple H
King of the Ring (1998) Ken Shamrock
King of the Ring (1999) Billy Gunn
King of the Ring (2000) Kurt Angle
King of the Ring (2001) Edge
King of the Ring (2002) Brock Lesnar
King of the Ring (2006) Booker T
King of the Ring (2008) William Regal
King of the Ring (2010) Sheamus

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm debating whether studying for criminal procedure final on thursday or Raw is more worth my time tonight...[/QUOTE]

They wrote the script 3 times tonight according to reports. I'm expecting it to suck.

King of the Ring went wrong when they thought they could use it as a vehicle to push anyone (Mabel, Billy Gunn) not really taking into account that the winners who made something of it were talented.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm debating on picking it up at Best Buy tomorrow for $15 (w/ the upgrade and save DVD promotion) or ordering it on Amazon for $10 (w/ a gift card that's on my account). I really want to watch it tomorrow and I want to ensure that I get the slipcover, so I may just go pick it up at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm doing the same myself. $10 for Mania 28 on Blu is pretty good between the trade in along with $5 in RZ certs. If anything I'm really getting it for the HOF. Too bad last year's Mania isn't in the current WWE Blu sale that Best Buy has going on.

Personally, I think Booker T did the most with the king gimmick. He took the concept and just went completely overboard with it, which is all you can really do with such a ridiculous gimmick. The prancing when he first walked out, the pinkie in the air, etc. Just priceless.

Don't forget the Kings from before the KOTR tournament. Some people languished with it (Haku), some people were clearly being ribbed by the company (Harley Race), some used it to comic effect (Duggan), and some got a second wind from it (Randy Savage).

I always hated the Macho King gimmick. It just paled in comparison to his classic Macho Man version and even as a kid it just seemed like silly pandering to me (though I highly doubt I would have used "pandering" at that time to describe it :)).

I think Bret Hart KOTR was easily the best - mostly because of the talent Hart had to go through to win (Mr. Perfect, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam Bigelow).

The fact that JR, Bobby Heenan, and Macho Man sold the hell out of the impossibility of the tiny Hart actually getting the win over Bigelow made the win an even bigger deal (especially after a Dusty finish that saw Hart lose after getting with a steel chair Luna Vachon and flying top rope headbutt). The commentary helped that match so much! Then Lawler coming out and beating the holy hell out of Hart was amazing (and starting off one of my favorite feuds of all time - The barbs Lawler threw at Hart's parents were SO fuckED UP!).

He did take it and run with it pretty well.

My only problem with it is that it ushered in the era of those godawful neon macho man bodysuits and cowboy hats. I never did like that look.

[quote name='mykevermin']He did take it and run with it pretty well.

My only problem with it is that it ushered in the era of those godawful neon macho man bodysuits and cowboy hats. I never did like that look.[/QUOTE]

It was the early 90s. Everything was neon. :D

I don't like the Fatal 4-Way idea but I do like the fact that they have three contenders for Sheamus' belt. Jericho is doing the job. Calling it!

[quote name='Golden Idol']It was the early 90s. Everything was neon. :D[/QUOTE]

Everything?

06.jpg

PN News doubts you, yet confirms your claim at the same time.

After looking at Myke's hidden image I had to go do some reading. I read that
pnnews.jpg
and
mantaur_display_image.jpg
are cousins. All i can say is
ron-simmons-damn-wwe.jpg

I heard about Heyman. Reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xzLijve40

Man, I miss ECW almost as much as I miss WCW. The "You are in our house, bitch" line always brings a smile to my face. And good lord, Cena has been in WWE for a long time. Seems like just yesterday that UPW's Prototype debuted as a generic, yellow-and-purple trunked guy who gave Kurt Angle a run for his money. Where have the years gone?

Mark Henry just passed 16 years with the company. As far as I know, that's with no releases/returns. He's had multiple injuries and was sent to OVW at one point, but never released. Kane's approaching 15 years and, to my knowledge, hasn't taken any time off for injuries. Both are very impressive records.

You could argue for Undertaker's case, but he's had so many injuries and had such a sporadic schedule that I wouldn't consider it impressive.

WWE Star Ricardo Rodriguez got a traffic-stop smackdown yesterday ... when cops nailed the wrestler for speeding while on his way to film Monday Night Raw.

Sources tell TMZ, Rodriguez put the pedal to the metal -- allegedly clocking 70 mph in a 55 mph zone -- when cops pulled him over ... mere miles from the Greensboro, NC Coliseum where last night's show was being held.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/08/wwe-ricardo-rodriguez-speeding-ticket/

Yeah unless he was DUI or caught with illegal drugs it isn't really news by pro wrestling standards. Now if he'd gotten out and body slammed the cop, that'd be different.

I see woodtrim in the interior, likely an expensive car. A Mexican guy driving an expensive car... Right, I'm sure the speeding was the only reason they pulled him over...

70 in a 55 isn't news by *any* standard. That's so far beyond mundane it's amazing it made any news sites to begin with. Did Lindsay Lohan not order a frappucino at a Starbucks yesterday or something, such that there was space for this non-news at TMZ?

It would have been more noteworthy had Alberto Del Rio been pulled over in a Honda Accord, then we could have the discussion about kayfabe all over again!

ring-of-honor-new-logo.jpg

Tomorrow night right here at ROHWrestling.com we offering, absolutely free to everybody, a showing of the CM Punk/Bryan Danielson bout from “Reborn: Stage 1” that took place on April 23, 2004 as well as clash between The Briscoe Family & The House of Truth taped in Baltimore that featured the return to action of Papa Briscoe! These matches will be available from 6pm - 8pm FREE for anyone to watch!

To view click here between 6pm - 8pm tomorrow evening (Wednesday, May 9th, 2012)
Do yourself a favor and watch this match to see how it really should be done.

I'm assuming it's EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back