Ultimate Warrior memorial wrestling thread 1959-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally watched the Ultimate Warrior tribute on the Network. A lot of fluff but I was moved by how absolutely heartbroken some of the people from wrestling families were during the salute. Cody was losing his shit despite the WWF being an insignificant part of his dad's career.

Also, why the hell is Jushin Liger still wrestling? I guess it's because he's not even 50 but he's been wrestling literally for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liger wrestles largely to scout for talent around the world. He's still got a name and can go despite his age and injuries.

As for Impact...

TNA took a show there was no reason to care about beforehand, and didn't really move that needle much after - despite this being the go-home show. Lashley had by far his best match in many years with Kenny King - this thing was a blast to watch and worth going out of your way to see. Taz and Tenay followed that up with a glorious discussion of business cards in 2014 or 2013 - whichever year Taz lives in. The Anderson-Shaw skits were Claire Lynch-level bad. RAY GUNNER vs. Beer Money was a blast, but made me sad that Storm's losing on PPV and Roode-Bully will be hurt by the table stip. The Knux angle of whatever it was, ended with as little hype as it began with or maintained. The Shaw character also became officially career-killing. Bobby's been invading Bully's world, but what will happen if BULLY INVADES BOBBY'S WORLD!? Abyss got his career back thanks to Magnus hitting him in the balls. Abyss doesn't just win world titles by DQ, he also regains his career thanks to them. 

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/04/tna-impact-4-24-14.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/yuitd64jcv0btbpz4t3nurgapw8fdiqb

Damnit JBL... I guess it couldn't last forever. NXT Spoiler

http://youtu.be/XRdtaD5STe0

So sad... Paige is no longer the Undisputed Women's Champion. :cry:

Guess which classic wrestler this is.

k3ieZIa.jpg

The "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Liger wrestles largely to scout for talent around the world. He's still got a name and can go despite his age and injuries.

As for Impact... blah blah blah

Small question Jay. Why do you post so many more screens here than on the thread on Giant Bomb? In that thread you have like 2 screens, here you have like 6. It's weird considering how much heat you have here for your reviews.

I don't mind jays post at all, then again i know how to actually take 2 seconds to just scroll past a post i don't feel like reading.

As much as it pains me to say this I must admit that I am starting to like Rybaxel. Ryback sounds like a somewhat intelligent guy when he is allowed to talk. He pulls off the smart-ass attitude really well and it's rubbing off on Curtis Axel. He's starting to open up a bit and actually show a little depth to his character.

Your mission is to go on WWEN and watch Mr T vs Kevin Sullivan at Starrcade 94. I don't think I've ever literally laughed outloud at a match before, but I did at least 3 times here. The most glorious of trainwrecks, and a match that just keeps on giving from the moment it starts.

Going to have to say, without being too specific, my two favorite moments were the fan ruining everything, followed by the unintentional de-pantsing. Five fucking stars.

I think this is interesting enough to warrant a post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmrZh5eLihg

Who would have guessed that the gravedigger himself would be good for WWE.

Former WCW announcer Lee Marshall ("On the road with Lee Marshall!") has passed away
Shit, that sucks. He was also the voice of Tony the Tiger after the original guy passed away. They're Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

As a former teacher, I find it hilarious that Triple H still holds a mic while speaking in a lecture hall.

Trust me, I get it - but the visual of dudes holding microphones while screaming at each other has always struck me as "off," which is, in my head, one reason why I preferred old-style backstage wrestling promos (besides the fact that it allows for more body movement and different gestures if you aren't anchored by a microphone in one hand).

But it looks silly to me on wrestling TV (two men who ostensibly HAAAATE each other, standing and talking shit to each other, making sure to only use the microphone to talk), it looks silly in a classroom - and I can't help but picture them taking this everywhere. McMahon family sitting at the dinner table in CT, speaking into the microphone to ask Shane to pass the brussels sprouts.

I can't help but picture them taking this everywhere. McMahon family sitting at the dinner table in CT, speaking into the microphone to ask Shane to pass the brussels sprouts.
Thanks for that, my coworkers are looking at me like I'm insane now because for some reason that visual is just too much and I lost it.

The booking of the company as a whole is doomed, but I'm glad EY won and Gunner and Storm had a classic. Shame neither guy will go as far as they could've in wrestling thanks to TNA being TNA. Storm just two and a half years ago felt like someone they could take to the moon as a mainstream crossover guy. Now, they've kind of got one on paper as their world champion. He's a great worker, solid talker, and will never quite be what he could've been due to being a comedy guy - although I honestly can't say I'd see him being as big a team in WWE as he's been in TNA, so kudos to him for getting everything he's gotten. He seems like a fantastic person and definitely deserves whatever success he's able to wrangle out of this push.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/04/tna-sacrifice-2014.html

Screens -

Well, the Beard is her IP...

Set 1 -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/uxr17wh42kmgv1h1lq6vt4xze62fu71p

Set 2 -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/juhjzm7xh3j5l58u0bn35k3vkxo7sszb

Apparently there was a TNA ppv last night and from reading the results, kinda glad no one mentioned it. I thought they were doing decent like 6 months ago or so but now, man they're probably right up there with 2000-2001 WCW. They only do 4 or 5 ppvs a year and this is the best they could put out?

Apparently there was a TNA ppv last night and from reading the results, kinda glad no one mentioned it. I thought they were doing decent like 6 months ago or so but now, man they're probably right up there with 2000-2001 WCW. They only do 4 or 5 ppvs a year and this is the best they could put out?
Hogan left with all their money.

And Flair. And Sting. And every other past-their-prime guy that TNA has decided to pay far more money that they were worth over the past 12 years. They've drawn with TWO of the five billion guys they've brought in - Hardy and Angle. Hogan meant something for exactly one show and that was it. I don't blame Hogan for taking the money - they're the ones who offered him $15,000 PER APPEARANCE. He'd have been foolish to not take the offer when WWE wasn't biting, and really, things worked out great for everyone involved. Hogan got to have one last good-ish match against Sting, got to leave TNA with the company's owner begging him to stay, and he got to come back to WWE right in time for WM XXX with a ton of Network stuff. Everyone leaving TNA winds up flourishing. Sting's in the fold now and is a fine talking head. AJ's making more money outside of TNA than he was in it, and thanks to working for New Japan, he's now working for a far bigger company and competing for a more important world title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYfDS3AINTs&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwYfDS3AINTs&has_verified=1

You can purchase TNA Sacrifice here for $39.99. Bwahahaha.  :cold:

McMahon family sitting at the dinner table in CT, speaking into the microphone to ask Shane to pass the brussels sprouts.
Or during a large gathering at the house, right after someone bumps one of the servers and makes her spill the whole tray of drinks on the floor he pulls this stunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hMwfZEVaI

fuck it, Bray turning the kids against Cena is awesome. Too bad the crowd booed everything on both sides. Hearing that song over and over has already worn out its welcome though.

How long have Hennig and Ryback had the shitty theme mash up? I guess they didn't learn after the Rhodes thing last year.

That segment with Hugh Jackman, Dolph Ziggler, and...fuck, I actually can't remember his name (for serious)...either way, it was the drizzling shits and went WAYYYYYY too long. I'm not going to say it shouldn't have happened (wrestling has something for everybody, yadda yadda), but it should have been about 7 minutes shorter than it was.

Comedy works in shorter bursts (Goldust/Booker T come to mind). Rarely in longer ones. And, after sitting through one other way too long segment (Cena and Wyatt), I had "fucking GET ON WITH IT ALREADY"-ed my way through enough WWE for the day. Decided to turn on hockey and do some baking instead. Just bored. Disappointed.

Yeah. Total brain burst there. I suppose I could take the blame for that, but it speaks more to how uninteresting some dudes are.

Which is unfortunate, since I kinda dug him as Aaron "The Idol" Stevens in OVW.

WWEN is finally available on Xbox One. Keeping my expectations low because the other console apps kind of suck, but hopefully it at least better than the weak 360 app.

If nothing else, I'm interested to see what the achievements for it are.

Remember how excited we were for him a few months ago when he was Mr. Money in the Bank?
No, not really.

Remember how excited we were for him a few months ago when he was Mr. Money in the Bank? Good times.
If there was any, Wade Barrett pretty much stole all of his thunder with the Bad News bits. That singled handedly destroyed my interest in Sandow's character, because Barrett does it better.

The XBox One WWE App works pretty well so far. I never had a problem with the PS4 app either though. Just the shitty Xbox 360 app that stutters when watching live events.

Getting an achievement for fast forwarding is just wrong, I must say.

Getting an achievement for fast forwarding is just wrong, I must say.
Yeah I think it's a glitched one too, at least for me as it's for fast forward 30 minutes into a program and I got it after fast forward a couple minutes on accident by dropping my controller

All these providers dropping PPVs will eventually end up helping WWE more because the network will eventually be the only place you can see the "special events".
What I wonder is how long before a deal is made so at least the streaming channel on WWE Network is available on cable/sat? You would have to think that cable/sat would have to cave in due to customer demand. While most of us know how to access WWE Net on whatever device you have to keep in mind that not every one is like us.

Now rather it be they don't have access to broadband, find using even a Roku device too daunting, or simply put they prefer to get their content from a cable/sat provider I feel eventually the demand will be too great for cable/sat (and the WWE for that matter) to ignore.

Steve Williams & John Laurinaitis vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi in the Wrestling Observer's Match of the Year 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-eWkTyMyGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back