Unreal Tournament 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

This thread keeps popping up in my subscribed list and it makes me sad because I'm getting the PC version. Here's hoping Epic figures out crossplatform play at some point. Plus then some of my PS3-owning friends wouldn't have to upgrade their computers to play.

For those who have played the game, I am thinking about trading in warhawk to get credit to pay for this game. From your opinion is it better? I know they are different games in many ways, but I love unreal but I just don't want to pay full retail for this game, and I haven't played warhawk in months.

I just bought it, haven't opened it yet. Seems kinda fishy how there's no reviews out yet. For those who's played this already, how is it?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I just bought it, haven't opened it yet. Seems kinda fishy how there's no reviews out yet. For those who's played this already, how is it?[/quote]

There are reviews. I linked to two of them on previous pages.

[quote name='ighosty']For those who have played the game, I am thinking about trading in warhawk to get credit to pay for this game. From your opinion is it better? I know they are different games in many ways, but I love unreal but I just don't want to pay full retail for this game, and I haven't played warhawk in months.[/QUOTE]I started playing Warhawk again once the patch came out that fixed all the stats, but if you don't play it then I'd suggest trading it on here.

I heard they slowed the game down.. after playing my first online match, all I can say is damn.. the game runs too fast! Fast pace killing! Its good, I like it, its distinguishes itself well from CoD4, so owning both didn't make me feel like I only need one or the other.

Played for about an hour before work using my controller it was fast paced and felt ackward using the controller. Gonna hop back on in a few and try a keyboard and mouse assuming my wireless set works...

CoD4 will still probably be my go to game for online shooters but this will be a nice change of pace plus I can get good before all my friends get it on the 360. :D

[quote name='asianxcore'] Picked this up a couple hours ago. I traded some stuff into EB with the 30% coupon and got it for $4 out of my own pocket.

Hopefully I'll get to play some tonight/tomorrow because after that I'll be out of the area + state for the next 3 weeks.

SilentAssassin did you ever get my friend request on PSN?[/quote]

I am pretty sure I did, I'll have to double check though. If not I'll send you one man and I'll let you know either way via PM from here. Sucks your going to be out of state man I wont be able to get into any multi player games until this weekend. Work and shit has been keeping me real busy. But yeah when you get back we can definitely get some game time in.

[quote name='Thomas96'] Fast pace killing! Its good, I like it, its distinguishes itself well from CoD4, so owning both didn't make me feel like I only need one or the other.[/quote]

This is the first thing I have ever agreed with you on anything about. :)

Epic on some of the current issues:

Tuesday, 11 December, 2007 at 23:14 PST | redef | Print News
The Epic folks are busily replying to concerns in the forums and as a result have plenty of info for those chaps who have eagerly purchased the PS3 version of UT3. Here it is:

Mark Rein on voice chat problems:

I had similar problems with voice chat today as well. I heard someone talking in one game but a friend and I tried to chat and we couldn't hear each other. I've passed it along to the dev team to look into. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mark Rein on finding lag-free, low-ping, games:

I've had some amazing online games today on the PS3. When you get the server browser up you want to scroll to the servers with the lowest ping (number in the far right hand column). [...] They are listed in reverse order (doh!)

Josh Adams on mods:

However, the PS3 mod tools aren't quite ready yet. We are working through some final legal/release issues.

When it's ready, you will need to download the latest PC patch and another PS3 Mod Tools "patch" that adds the full PS3 mod support to the PC version.

You will have to cook ypur mods for the PS3 specifically. You will also need removable media (memory card, USB drive, etc) to transfer the mod from your PC to your PS3.

We will have the tools ready ASAP!!

Played 3 "campain," err...single player with "bots," and so far it's fast paced as fuck. I really, really like the graphics, it's very vibrant and bright. If only it ran in 60 FPS though, theres no slowdowns but once you go 60 FPS ala CoD4 you don't want 30 FPS anymore, and it becomes noticable.

Overall, I say the game is at least a 9.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']I am pretty sure I did, I'll have to double check though. If not I'll send you one man and I'll let you know either way via PM from here. Sucks your going to be out of state man I wont be able to get into any multi player games until this weekend. Work and shit has been keeping me real busy. But yeah when you get back we can definitely get some game time in.
[/QUOTE]

I think you did as well. Funny thing is once I started adding a lot of people to my PSN friend list, everyone stopped showing up online :)

I'll be back home either the first week of January or the week after. I'll probably send you a PM here on CAG or via PSN, so we can possibly get a CAG game going. Do people in your friend list have to start up the game for them to show up in your friends/community list?

I played for a little bit tonight. Fun shit. If there is slowdown or lag, I sure as hell am not noticing it. All the games I've played tonight have been lag free and without a hitch. It's funny on maps like "Rising Sun" and "Fearless" it almost turns into a giant rocket launcher free for all.

The shock rifle is whack. Link Gun FTW

I got held up last night, but this morning when BestBuy opens I'm heading out there. I just wish I could hook the PS3 up to my monitor in my room. It's quiet hours for exam week, and my neighbors couch is on the other side of the wall where my TV is. :lol: I got tired of her knocking so I moved the 360 into my room, but there is no hope for my PS3 :p

Picked this up last night from Best Buy. Awesome stuff. I'm a fan of the PC series, and this one doesn't disappoint.

The game is very solid and a lot of fun, I just wish more people were playing (Maybe it's my less then stellar school connection?)

Anyway, this game can't be compared to CoD4. This is fast paced twitch shooting. If you like that, buy it. If not, don't.

[quote name='seanr1221']

Anyway, this game can't be compared to CoD4. This is fast paced twitch shooting. If you like that, buy it. If not, don't.[/quote]

Damn. I was gonna buy it yesterday but the weather was crappy. I gotta get this TODAY.

[quote name='Furashu']hows the campaign for this?[/quote]

Nothing to brag about, although it does have online co-op

[quote name='denze']Nothing to brag about, although it does have online co-op[/quote]

The campaign is exactly like it was in every unreal tournament.

Fun as hell.. no idea what you re talking about ^_^

[quote name='asianxcore']I think you did as well. Funny thing is once I started adding a lot of people to my PSN friend list, everyone stopped showing up online :)

I'll be back home either the first week of January or the week after. I'll probably send you a PM here on CAG or via PSN, so we can possibly get a CAG game going. Do people in your friend list have to start up the game for them to show up in your friends/community list?

I played for a little bit tonight. Fun shit. If there is slowdown or lag, I sure as hell am not noticing it. All the games I've played tonight have been lag free and without a hitch. It's funny on maps like "Rising Sun" and "Fearless" it almost turns into a giant rocket launcher free for all.

The shock rifle is whack. Link Gun FTW[/quote]

Yeah man, let me know when you get back and then we can get our Unreal on. ;) Usually no your people on your friends list don't have to be playing a game to be able to see them online. Not sure why you can't see anyone, usually you can see your friends when they are online/offline. When they are online you can see what game they are playing as it will say their s/n and then underneath their name will be the game they are playing. If it doesn't show anything under their name when they are online then they are probably just browsing Psn store or watching trailers and what not. But yeah man let me know when you get back, and after work tonight I'll check and make sure I have you as a friend on Psn.

[quote name='seanr1221']The game is very solid and a lot of fun, I just wish more people were playing (Maybe it's my less then stellar school connection?)

Anyway, this game can't be compared to CoD4. This is fast paced twitch shooting. If you like that, buy it. If not, don't.[/quote]

Exactly, I don't know why people are debating between the two. They are both two different types of FPS's that can't really be compared. Unreal has always been about very fast game play and battles. CTF has always been the most fun thing in Unreal. Gah I can't wait until this weekend!!

I think i am turning into a graphics snob.. I was actually very disappointed with the textures.. It doesn't look very good to me. Certainly not comparable to Gow or COD4 on the graphics.

[quote name='ddhex27']I think i am turning into a graphics snob.. I was actually very disappointed with the textures.. It doesn't look very good to me. Certainly not comparable to Gow or COD4 on the graphics.[/QUOTE]

I will agree with this (about CoD4, I think this looks just like Gears but in first person). It's a minor complaint, but the graphics didn't WOW me like I thought they would.

Also, the sound for certain things seem a little off, like you're own footsteps and grunts.

These are minor nitpicks though. The game is a blast and should be in any twitch shooters collection.

The Unreal series is slightly special to me. Unreal Championship was the game that got me into live right after it launched. I played it once at a friend's house, and went crazy trying to convince my parents to get DSL. It was my first taste of online gameplay.

I spent hours upon hours playing that game.

Dang, I really want to pick this up--- looking at some of the videos it looks like they did a really good job making it "click" on the ps3. Anyone know if the online masses on the Ps3 operate the same way as XBL? What I mean is that if you don't pick up the game within the first month (outside of big titles) you have a real hard time finding a game?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']The campaign is exactly like it was in every unreal tournament.

Fun as hell.. no idea what you re talking about ^_^[/quote]

It's alright :D played the campaign on pc. CTF is where it's at on the PS3. I must say, there are a gripload of multiplayer maps, playing vehicle CTF seems much more comfortable on a gamepad opposed to the mouse and keyboard setup imo. Although, I play DM with a mouse and keyboard for both platforms

[quote name='NamPaehc']Have you guys messed with the post processing selections under video yet? Changes the visuals a little bit.[/quote]

Vivid looks good, intense pretty much removes all the dark areas

For those that have it, send me a PSN friend request and we can play a couple of games tonight around 10 PM PST

Can you fully control the game with keyboard and mouse? I can't figure out to do it.

You can't even toggle within the server screen. It shows servers in order from lowest to highest ping. I want it to show lowest to highest.

I can possibley have the game for 44 shipped but it would be here probley next wensday or thursday or I could go buy it for 59.99 I'm tempted to go buy it even though it is a big difference in price. :bomb:

[quote name='jman619']I can possibley have the game for 44 shipped but it would be here probley next wensday or thursday or I could go buy it for 59.99 I'm tempted to go buy it even though it is a big difference in price. :bomb:[/quote]
where share?

Just snagged this on my way home from work tonight...it's looking like tomorrow's going to be a snowy mess here, so I'm thinking this should keep me entertained.

Used my "$10 Off a PS3 Game" coupon, too.

Are the downloadable mods available? and What kinds of mods can we expect to see overtime? [what exactly can a PC person mod?

[quote name='Thomas96']Are the downloadable mods available? and What kinds of mods can we expect to see overtime? [what exactly can a PC person mod?[/quote]

PC to PS3 mod converter isn't out yet, but should be soon. A PC user can modify basic things and let you have custom skins, create brand new maps, and if they really wanted to, rebuild the entire game into some other type of game! Unreal Deep Sea Fishing anyone? :)

[quote name='NamPaehc']PC to PS3 mod converter isn't out yet, but should be soon. A PC user can modify basic things and let you have custom skins, create brand new maps, and if they really wanted to, rebuild the entire game into some other type of game! Unreal Deep Sea Fishing anyone? :)[/quote]

Perhaps Dragonball Z?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yep! Check out this UT2004 mod. :) Don't think it got finished but it was being created, no reason why someone couldn't do this (or some other theme( for UT3.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty sweet. If mods like that keep popping up I might have to pick up a cheap USB thumb drive to transfer mods.

Got to play a couple hours more of UT3 and I'm still having a blast. I really like that PS3's don't come with headsets. I don't have to listen to constant yapping, bitchin' and whichever like on XBL.

Does anyone else think the colors look really washed out and murky in the game? I really love UT2K4, so far I'm really disappointed with the look of UT3. Also, what's up with no classic face map :( Maybe it's just me who likes bright colors.

yeah the colors seemed washed out they arent vibrant as i like, but whos looking when ur running around killing people...

great game though i am dissapointed in the single player mode, but shoulda expected this..

I have mine on Intense post processing and it looks better, though my TV's black is very dark so it might not look better for others.

Everyhing does seem to be a bit "foggy" but I think that is because the setting is different. I liked the tropical feel of UT4 too, but the snow maps are really cool here too.

bread's done
Back