(UPDATE) Buy a Nintendo DS, get Super Mario 64 DS for free at all major retailers

Wombat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

UPDATE: Stores confirmed so far

EB Games, thanks Scahom1 link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54032

ebgames.com avail now!!!
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241868.asp

Best Buy, thanks TXboxGuY link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54789

Sears, thanks TXboxGuY, see page five for pic

Kmart, thanks Dogpatch, see page 7

Gamestop confirmed (starts June15), thanks Chacrana, see page 8

Gamestop.com plat: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020225L

gamestop.com blue:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020252A

Walmart and walmart.com confirmed, thanks JJNova link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3600672&sourceid=23972595173720093424

fry's, thanks hiccupleftovers see page 9

official full list of stores link:

http://www.nintendods.com/mario/

I will update as I get info :)

[quote name='evilmax17']Didn't you follow E3? The DS had the best showing, with tons of great games from all genres coming out.[/QUOTE]

The DS E3 showing is vastly over-rated. Better than PSP's definitely, but still not great.

If I hadn't already bought one for $100 I'd definately get this. Maybe they will release a pink one stateside though...... :D

[quote name='CheapyD']How about a big thanks to Wombat for hooking us up with the scoop?

Thanks!:bouncy: [/QUOTE]

Ditto. With the games coming out very soon, I was planning on getting one by the end of this month. But it wasn't too high on my list. But this seals the deal. DS before July for me.:D

Thanks a ton, Wombat!

[quote name='peteyrose']The DS E3 showing is vastly over-rated. Better than PSP's definitely, but still not great.[/QUOTE]

Will the trolls go away please? This is a deals thread about a DS. You knew that before you entered. If you don't think there is anything promising, dont enter, and certainly do not post your Negative Nancy comments in here! By the overall responses in here, it seems you are very outnumbered in your very inadequate opinion. If you want to debate the fact, then open a Vs. forum thread about the DS at E3.:roll:

[quote name='omegaweapon7']good deal, however, a pratically 30 dollar price drop ALREADY is not a good sign.[/QUOTE]

How is this a price drop? If enough people would buy this as well then in a way it would be. HOWEVER from a financial standpoint Nintendo really isn't losing much packing this in. Consider Nintendo doesn't have to pay the royalties and these flash carts cost even LESS than the GBA cartridges.
I know I'll probably bag this and be hooked on Animal Crossing DS like crack when it comes out and that Surgeon game is a LOCK for me. Too bad it's heavily Anime intoned since I'd rather have a Surgeon simulation games like Taito does with the train games. Believe it or not there ARE American Simulation gamers who LIKE Japanese Simulation games.
Anyway and maybe Castlevania I'll get and definitely "Hunters" as well as "Feel the Magic".

Thanks for all the thanks everyone, also wanted to quickly thank my unnamed source at Nintendo. Its about time they gave me a good deal to post :), thanks.

[quote name='NeueZiel']Ok, now I am very tempted to buy a DS (worst part is I have the money so I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from buying it). After seeing the game lineup at e3 I will probably go ahead and pick this up. Also DS buyers should know that Kirby Canvas Curse comes out that day, and after playing the demo that is another must buy game for the system.[/QUOTE]

bam, thats what im talking about... i thought kirby was a lame gimmick, but man this game is going to be awesome....

i still say that bottom line this xmas when people essentially have the choice between an xbox 360 and a psp, they arent going to go sonys way, but well see in the end...

im very excited about the ds lineup, i dont have to repeat all the games that have been mentioned... good times

[quote name='jkam']Disclaimer:
I am not in any way saying this will change PSP sales or bashing the PSP.

I think with this being at every retailer Nintendo is really trying to hammer home the price difference of the DS and the PSP. $150 for a system with a game looks better than $250 for a system with a pouch, earphones, and a remote. I think it's a pretty smart move by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Agreed heavily. This deal is definitely going to move systems, especially so early on. This deal will set up Nintendo for later on in the year as well since they will have a larger user base and more games will move during the usual slower summer months.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']good deal, however, a pratically 30 dollar price drop ALREADY is not a good sign.[/QUOTE]

Roughly 5 million systems since it has been released means that this system isn't going anywhere. Eh..who am I to argue, others have already done it for me.:D

ALot peoples interest in DS but most of them waited for Good deal or Price cut on the system but when Nintendo Give Free game w/ System is another story :)

TRUs deal for this Sunday is Mario 64 + the Pro Gamers Kit + the DS(blue or silver). I believe the price is $178, but I could be wrong. So it looks like other places may have the better deals.

This looks like a great deal, might pick a DS up now :)
Anyone happen to know about the Metroid pack in though as others have asked? Is it still being included with the new color?

Thanks anyway, but I'll be passing on this deal. I'm not in need of a DS as an enhanced GBA player since I have an SP and it suits me fine. I'm wait for THE color/style of DS that I want no matter how far down the line it is since I did that with the SP and got it when there were tons of games I'd get for the system. There's quite a few interesting titles, but I can definitely wait until there are a mountain of good games to give me plenty of options and not a once or twice a month that it is right now to choose from.

Also, anyone happen to know how long this deal will last since it's not being limited to just next weeks EB sale?

[quote name='Covnam']This looks like a great deal, might pick a DS up now :)
Anyone happen to know about the Metroid pack in though as others have asked? Is it still being included with the new color?[/QUOTE]

It is not being included anymore. Saw the new blue one at EB this morning and there were no Metroid Prime logos on the front of it's packaging. Looks like the demo is gone from this shipment (which we knew was going to happen at some point in time).

I just got the Electric Blue DS tonight at EB. There is no Metroid Prime Hunters pack-in - the box is exactly the same as the platinum version.

[quote name='coolz481']I just got the Electric Blue DS tonight at EB. There is no Metroid Prime Hunters pack-in - the box is exactly the same as the platinum version.[/QUOTE]

Eeeeenteresting. I wonder if the Hunters Demo will be rare in a few years?

oh hell yes! I was going to buy the blue DS next week anyway, this sweetens the deal quite nicely. Anyone know how to maximize this deal? i.e., where would be the best place or any combo deals?

And Meteos comes out this month too, awesome!

Hmm, I might now have to consider getting a DS since it still plays all my old GBA games anyway. That new castlevania game also has me thinking I need to get a DS also. This is a great idea by Nintendo to package a game with the DS to jump start sales.

[quote name='Masterkyo']ALot peoples interest in DS but most of them waited for Good deal or Price cut on the system but when Nintendo Give Free game w/ System is another story :)[/QUOTE]
Well, with over five million units out in six months, I wouldn't say that most people interested in it waited. A lot did, but most who will eventually own the DS still need to realize they would like it. I guarantee you that every GCN owner out there or every PS2 owner was not sitting around on the launch day thinking, "When will it be cheaper, when will it be cheaper...?" Most simply had to realize that the system had something they wanted enough that they were willing to invest the required cost.

[quote name='evilmax17']Eeeeenteresting. I wonder if the Hunters Demo will be rare in a few years?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will most definitely be rare/valuable in the future because there were only somewhere over five and a quarter million copies made available to the public.

[quote name='coolz481']I just got the Electric Blue DS tonight at EB. There is no Metroid Prime Hunters pack-in - the box is exactly the same as the platinum version.[/QUOTE]

At first I thought, why wouldn't you wait until next week to get the Mario 64 pack-in? then i realized you work at EB.

any confirmation from walmart yet? They were one of the few stores that did not offer a free game for gamecube.

Question: Is the game actually included in the box along with the DS, or does the store just say "grab a copy of Mario DS off the shelf?" I'm hoping it's the latter since I don't want to wait anymore -- I need a DS now to replace my broken GBA...

Hmm...now to really consider which color of the DS I want. Do I go with the platinum edition that comes with the Metroid Demo or the Blue one which I really like. Does anyone know if you can find the Metroid demo used anywhere or maybe on EB online/B&M.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Hmm...now to really consider which color of the DS I want. Do I go with the platinum edition that comes with the Metroid Demo or the Blue one which I really like. Does anyone know if you can find the Metroid demo used anywhere or maybe on EB online/B&M.[/QUOTE]

Just from personal preference, I'd go with the platinum. Now, I haven't actually seen the blue DS aside from promo shots and such, so it may look better than expected, but the platinum just looks more sleek IMO.

If you're basing your decision on the Metroid demo, though, it's really nothing special. Blast through one quick level and it's over in about five minutes. The only catch is that since the Metroid demo is no longer a pack-in, it's going to be a rarity soon. I think this will be a moot point after the full version of the game is released, however.

Either way, you're still getting an awesome system with a decent free game (aside from some minor control gripes), so you really can't go wrong.

The demo goes for about $6-10 shipped on ebay. If you think it is going to be rare look at the PS pack in demo as those never become rare. Also there will be even less demand after the full game is out. As someone has mentioned Nintendo has sold millions of DS, which means there are millions of copy flooding around.

Question: Is the game actually included in the box along with the DS, or does the store just say "grab a copy of Mario DS off the shelf?" I'm hoping it's the latter since I don't want to wait anymore -- I need a DS now to replace my broken GBA...

I'm pretty sure it will just be a mario DS taken off the shelf. There isn't a new SKU listed for a Mario DS bundle in the new Nintendo retailer catalog. But some stores could have an exclusive bundle package that includes it in the box(like how Best Buy has Mario and Luigi in some GBA SP packages and WM has Pokemon Colosseum in Gamecubes).,

I'm not really worried about the game being rare as I'm sure after the complete game hits, nobody will really care for the demo any longer. But I do really want to own a copy of the demo just for the time being so that I can play it at home whenever I want until the finished game does come out.

I just got a DS for my birthday, do you think I can take it back and buy it again so that I can get the free game?

I dunno if this bundle will be available at bestbuy.com, but if it is you can save an extra $10 by going to www.bestbuy.com/order. It basically gives you $10 off for every $100 you spend online. Select instore pick-up and you're good to go. The offer goes until 7/9. You could even throw in a couple of games to put it over $200 and you can save $10 more. Combine with reward zone and you're looking at a pretty good deal.

At the moment I'm currently messing around with adding stuff to my cart, I've got an Electric Blue DS, Metroid Hunters, Castlevania DS, and Vietful Joe (DS), and it's adjusting the price for all 3 games to $24.99, and also giving me the $20 off for being over $200, so the total is $204.96 before tax. That'd be sweet if this works next week, that'd be 4 games (including Super Mario) and a DS for a little over $200. Oh and the three pre-orders get free shipping.

Edit: Damn, just realized the $10 off two DS games ends 6/11. Oh well, you can at least still get the extra $10 off just the system using the link.

Edit 2: Does anyone know if this is the kind of deal you could "pricematch" if you buy a DS this week? Like purchase while the $10 off two games deal is still valid this week, and then once the ad comes out next week go back and get Super Mario DS. Would this work?

> As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

>I found the bundle on best buy but it is listed as 179.98

> TRUs deal for this Sunday is Mario 64 + the Pro Gamers Kit + the DS(blue or silver). I believe the price is $178, but I could be wrong. So it looks like other places may have the better deals.

I hope it's true but I haven't seen any confirmation yet that you can get Mario 64 free with the DS.
Best buy lists the bundle as $179 and so does ebgames:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/520680.asp
also gamestop has the bundle for $179
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020225B
toysrus doesn't have the bundle.
Amazon.com has a bundle of the DS, mario 64 and a leather case for $245 USED.

The DS is 149.99 and the game lists for $29.99, so you save $zero. :cry:
Anyone have a link to a site other than CAG for $149 for the bundle, and a confirmed date?
I'd like to know so I can trade in my used mario 64DS.

I was going to pick up a PSP this week, but I'll hold out (for a month) and pick up a DS instead. My old original GBA seems so out dated and I've always wanted a DS. It now seems like the time to pick one up.

Also the DS seems like a safer purchase (less defects, less likely I'll return it for other units, and I wouldn't need to buy a warranty because nintendo handhelds are built strong). I still want a PSP...

[quote name='BIG5']I have neither, so I'm in luck. I guess I can look at this as a $30 price drop on DS since Mario 64 is the first game I would get anyway. And I have a July birthday!

Ah, yes, and now the question of color. I think I still like Platinum. If Electric Blue came out first and Platinum was the new color, (sort of like with GBA) I'd definately pick it.[/QUOTE]

Not to be a stickler, but Nintendo refers to it as "Titanium" instead of "Platinum", I think it's because of the black base. Regardless though, I view it the same way you do. This is just like saving a bucks. I wasn't necessarily going to pick up Mario 64, but if it's a free game, then I am sure I'll be able to get more than $0.00 worth of entertainment out of it. I do hope this works out for the Titanium and Electric Blue sets though, as I need to pick up two anyway.

The wife wants an Electric Blue one!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Thanks anyway, but I'll be passing on this deal. I'm not in need of a DS as an enhanced GBA player since I have an SP and it suits me fine. I'm wait for THE color/style of DS that I want no matter how far down the line it is since I did that with the SP and got it when there were tons of games I'd get for the system. There's quite a few interesting titles, but I can definitely wait until there are a mountain of good games to give me plenty of options and not a once or twice a month that it is right now to choose from.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to go ahead and hitch a ride on your wagon, if you don't mind. I was critical of the DS when it was first announced but later was dead-set on buying one. Then I played my younger brother's one and was a tad disappointed. Even with WarioWare: Touched, there isn't much out there. And I don't like the idea of buying a console on the promises of better content later, i mean hell...i didn't buy a PS2 for five years because I was waiting for their library to beef up with exclusive games that appealled to me.

Maybe when Nintendo ditches the GBA or when this new content arrives, I know i'll pick one up. Call me a negative nancy, but I got suckered into buying xbox by promises of amazing future content that didn't arrive for two to three years later.

[quote name='terribledeli']I'm going to go ahead and hitch a ride on your wagon, if you don't mind. I was critical of the DS when it was first announced but later was dead-set on buying one. Then I played my younger brother's one and was a tad disappointed. Even with WarioWare: Touched, there isn't much out there. And I don't like the idea of buying a console on the promises of better content later, i mean hell...i didn't buy a PS2 for five years because I was waiting for their library to beef up with exclusive games that appealled to me.

Maybe when Nintendo ditches the GBA or when this new content arrives, I know i'll pick one up. Call me a negative nancy, but I got suckered into buying xbox by promises of amazing future content that didn't arrive for two to three years later.[/QUOTE]

Now that June has finally arrived, it looks like a pretty steady stream of quality software from here on out: Kirby comes out next week, Meteos later in the month, Another Code is available in Europe, you can import Advance Wars: DS, and so on...

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Now that June has finally arrived, it looks like a pretty steady stream of quality software from here on out: Kirby comes out next week, Meteos later in the month, Another Code is available in Europe, you can import Advance Wars: DS, and so on...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully Kirby will be good (though I personally don't see any potential, but hey, what do I know?) Really, I don't see the quality stuff coming out until The very end of July. Then we get Lunar, Mario Kart, Metroid (which might be okay), Castlevania (gonna be amazing), New Mario Bros, Sonic Rush -- it seems as though that's when all the good stuff is finally going to hit the system.

Until then though, I plan on using this exclusively as a replacement for my broken GBA... and maybe for Mario 64 since it's free now.

I've had this Sears ad since yesterday. 6/12 - 6/18 on this deal. Here is the pic and the new electric blue color.

Same offer appears in the BB ad but this is easier to pick up on webcam.

I'm going to pick up the electric blue one if it really is $150 with mario ds free, since that's the first game i wanted, seems like an amazing deal , how exactly does the multiplayer work with this thing, and can you still use pictochat if you are 20 miles away ?

[quote name='TXboxGuY']I've had this Sears ad since yesterday. 6/12 - 6/18 on this deal. Here is the pic and the new electric blue color.

Same offer appears in the BB ad but this is easier to pick up on webcam.[/QUOTE]

So Gamestop should know that this is going on then if I ask them about it...

Sorry if repost, from the-magicbox.com

"Nintendo of America is planning to release a Nintendo DS Bundle Pack in US this month, the bundle will price at $149.99, which include the Nintendo DS and Super Mario 64 DS."

I wonder if it may just be for the summer?

bread's done
Back