(UPDATE) Buy a Nintendo DS, get Super Mario 64 DS for free at all major retailers

Wombat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

UPDATE: Stores confirmed so far

EB Games, thanks Scahom1 link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54032

ebgames.com avail now!!!
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241868.asp

Best Buy, thanks TXboxGuY link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54789

Sears, thanks TXboxGuY, see page five for pic

Kmart, thanks Dogpatch, see page 7

Gamestop confirmed (starts June15), thanks Chacrana, see page 8

Gamestop.com plat: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020225L

gamestop.com blue:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020252A

Walmart and walmart.com confirmed, thanks JJNova link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3600672&sourceid=23972595173720093424

fry's, thanks hiccupleftovers see page 9

official full list of stores link:

http://www.nintendods.com/mario/

I will update as I get info :)

[quote name='Chacrana']Called Gamestop -- Gamestop starts this deal on the 15th...

While that's all good and fine, there's no way in hell I'm waiting till then. I'm bored outta my mind and they're just making things worse... sigh...[/QUOTE]

That confirms it basically at most places. EB, KMart, Sears, BB, and now gamestop. All that's left (for me at least) is Fry's. Come on Fry's weekend updates. You know you wanna come through again with some uber special extra deal associated with this one.:lol:

[quote name='62t']If you remeber fry's actually have DS with Mario 64 for $150 a while back.[/QUOTE]

Not mine and mine also didn't have it for $130 when some in Washington and California (I believe San Jose) were having it for that price.

Hey guys, just want to let you know I was at Walmart today in Ohio, and I saw the package and picked it up. It's an electric blue, and on the box it had a sticker that said SM64 was included inside. And it was in a paper demo-like holder. All for $150.

[quote name='Contra']Hey guys, just want to let you know I was at Walmart today in Ohio, and I saw the package and picked it up. It's an electric blue, and on the box it had a sticker that said SM64 was included inside. And it was in a paper demo-like holder. All for $150.[/QUOTE]

Paper demo like holder...doesn't sound like much of a case... Ah well, I'll just buy a case from Nintendo and print up a cover scan.

[quote name='Chacrana']Paper demo like holder...doesn't sound like much of a case... Ah well, I'll just buy a case from Nintendo and print up a cover scan.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant to say more of a cardboard-type holder, it folds out. It already has the regular cover/boxart printed on and does include a manual. When you fold it open the game is in a little slit. Again, this was at Walmart, so I'm not sure if other stores will go with this way or just hand you the game off the shelves come next week.

[quote name='62t']If you remeber fry's actually have DS with Mario 64 for $150 a while back.[/QUOTE]

I managed to snag mine for $70 plus Mario 64 at a flea market, I got everyone beat :p

[quote name='BIG5']Yeah, Japan has the best color, as usual. I agree about the blue; I only like it because it's new. Even though it's just like my SP, I think I'm getting Platinum.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably be excited if the reverse were true... if Titanium were the new DS color coming out and Blue was the launch color... but for some odd reason, I have this prejudice against Titanium because it's "old."

You kind of swayed me with your post and right now I'm leaning towards the Titanium.

I put up a poll over in the DS forums for any of those interested in voting... My personal friends are split about 50-50 when I asked them for feedback on the DS color. I'm probably making too big a deal about it... but then again, I ended up somewhat unhappy with a DKC lime green GBA SP!

[quote name='Contra']Hey guys, just want to let you know I was at Walmart today in Ohio, and I saw the package and picked it up. It's an electric blue, and on the box it had a sticker that said SM64 was included inside. And it was in a paper demo-like holder. All for $150.[/QUOTE]
thanks, looks like i am going to walmart tomorrow.

[quote name='Chacrana']I wonder if it's at retail yet.... hmm.... or if Best Buy would have it offered now... ah well, probably not until Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy did have the DS with Mario 64 ds on their site for 179.99 but have taken it down, so keep an eye out they may be updating soon.

[quote name='ananag112']Here is what one NOA rep told me:

SOME retailers are offering a limited-time deal where you get Mario 64 for free when you buy a DS. Look for their AD in your Sunday paper or at your game store. Not all stores are doing the deal at the same time. I believe the promotions are being staggered. So check that Best Buy has the deal before you go to best buy and demand it, same with Toys R Us, Target, etc.

It's my understanding that most all major retailers and game stores will have the offer, but they're not going to all have it at the same time. Also, you can get a Blue or Plat DS with the offer.[/QUOTE]

I find it very interesting that your Nintendo Rep doesn't even know the current color the DS comes in. There is no "Plat", "Platinum", or even "Platypus" colored DS....

So either you made this up, or your Rep made this up. :^o:^o:^o:^o

Also, for anyone that still doubts.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3600672

[quote name='scott123456']im waiting for blue version to be pacakged with Castlevania![/QUOTE]

Not happening. Ever. It just makes no sense.

You can, however, preorder Castlevania for $30 from Bestbuy.com (I believe it is supposed to cost $40.) I got lucky and preordered a copy for $27 from there with free shipping.

Just updating this thread to say that it has been confirmed that Fry's will also be having this sale. Wahoo! Now only to make it out there.

I was gonna wait a little longer but this is to great of a deal to just pass up. Ill be picking up the Blue version of the DS along with a couple of GBA games, like Metroid Fusion and Minish Cap. Finally I can replace my old orginal Gameboy Advance. Thanks for the deal fellas.

Just wanna ask -- how's the backlight on the DS? Like, will I be able to see absolutely perfectly even when it's completely dark around me?

Can anybody who has already received this package deal post a picture of the Mario 64 cartridge box? I'm interested in picking up this deal but I don't like the idea that my favorite DS game is going to come in a ghetto box and not the original snap-lock box (Yeah, I'm kind of a collector, so that's why I'd like to see a picture before I buy).

BTW, I called my local GameStop about the deal and the guy was pretty dumbfounded when I asked him; he said that he wasn't even aware that there's going to be a bundle.

Does anyone know what surface the new Electric Blue DS consists of?

Is it like the old GBA plastic or like the GBA SP with the paint that easily chips off? IIRC, the Titanium has a painted surface. If the Blue is plastic like the old GBA, that might be a better pick-up in the long term (in terms of durability).

I would assume the Mario 64 pack-in is similar in style to the Metroid Hunters demo...check ebay for Metroid and you will see how the 'case' is. I'm sure EB/Gamestop will just give you the game free until they get the 'bundled' versions.

[quote name='gizmogc']I would assume the Mario 64 pack-in is similar in style to the Metroid Hunters demo...check ebay for Metroid and you will see how the 'case' is. I'm sure EB/Gamestop will just give you the game free until they get the 'bundled' versions.[/QUOTE]
Well, GameStop is going to start selling the bundle on Wednesday. Do you think that they will just give the game for free on the side until then? Has anybody gone to GameStop and asked in person if they could get the bundle with Mario 64 on the side?

hiccupleftovers - Packaging? The bundle I'm guessing will have Mario 64 advertised on the DS box and the game will come in the metroid demo-like case. If you get it on the side you'll get a DS box that doesn't say Mario 64 on it and the game will come in its orginal packaging.

[quote name='Chacrana']Just wanna ask -- how's the backlight on the DS? Like, will I be able to see absolutely perfectly even when it's completely dark around me?[/QUOTE]
I can see perfectly in complete darkness with the SP, and everyone says the DS has a better backlight and makes GBA games look better than ever.

The power was out here last night, and so I was playing Minish Cap on my DS in the dark for the first time. I was very impressed with how much better it looked and now have extra incentive to always play it in the dark. Now if they could do something about that darn sunshine glare in the day...

Dan

[quote name='danchilders']The power was out here last night, and so I was playing Minish Cap on my DS in the dark for the first time. I was very impressed with how much better it looked and now have extra incentive to always play it in the dark. Now if they could do something about that darn sunshine glare in the day...

Dan[/QUOTE]

Simpsons already did it.

edit: any idea if gamerush is doing this??

Uh...I just called GameStop and they said that they don't have the bundle and probably won't be getting it (Called 3 different locations).:cry:

[quote name='Azure']Uh...I just called GameStop and they said that they don't have the bundle and probably won't be getting it.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Don't ever believe a Gamestop employee.

[quote name='Roufuss']Don't ever believe a Gamestop employee.[/QUOTE]
...what? I called 3 different locations and you think that they'd be lying or ignorant? My only other option is to go to ebgames. I called them and they said that the "bundle" is only online but that starting on sunday they'd have a special sale where they would throw in Mario 64 ON THE SIDE for free (So you get the original packaging, which is good). I need to trade in my PS2 games in order to have enough cash to get the DS but I hear that ebgames tends to rip you off when it comes to trading in games. Is this true? I get $94 for the games at GameStop, but the DS+Mario64 would be $180 over there. At ebgames it'd be $150, but I don't think they'd give me that much for the games. What should I do? In case you are wondering, here's the list of games:
Dark Cloud
Devil May Cry
DDRMAX
DDRMAX 2
.HACK Infection
.HACK Mutation
Extreme-G 3
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Ratchet & Clank 1-3
Super Bust-A-Move 2
SSX Tricky

BTW, I called my local GameCrazy and they also said that they haven't heard of the deal and probably won't offer it.

Not lying, just ignorant.

All of these stores that "hadn't heard of the deal" will probably start offering it tommorrow when they "offcially" know.

I could probably call all the Best Buy's in the area and ask about the bundle, and they'll tell me the same thing - it dosen't exist and they won't honor it, even though it's in their ad for tommorrow.

Has anyone who has actually gotten a standard Electric Blue unit confirm whether or not the Metroid Prime Hunters demo comes with? (I've read conflicting reports...)

Also...is this DS+Mario bundle in Titanium still going to include Metroid, or will it REPLACE it?

[quote name='Roufuss']Not lying, just ignorant.

All of these stores that "hadn't heard of the deal" will probably start offering it tommorrow when they "offcially" know.

I could probably call all the Best Buy's in the area and ask about the bundle, and they'll tell me the same thing - it dosen't exist and they won't honor it, even though it's in their ad for tommorrow.[/QUOTE]
Ah, so I should just call my local GameStop about it tomorrow and they'd then be aware of the deal and offer it?

[quote name='Azure']Ah, so I should just call my local GameStop about it tomorrow and they'd then be aware of the deal and offer it?[/QUOTE]

Probably, but Tuesday would be better since that's when new stuff comes in.

I know tommorrow is the day EB, Best Buy, Fry's, Wal-Mart, and a score of other retailers start offering the bundle - it's worth it to call them and ask on Sunday, and if they still say no, try again on Tuesday when the bundle pack may actually be in their hands.

[quote name='Roufuss']Probably, but Tuesday would be better since that's when new stuff comes in.

I know tommorrow is the day EB, Best Buy, Fry's, Wal-Mart, and a score of other retailers start offering the bundle - it's worth it to call them and ask on Sunday, and if they still say no, try again on Tuesday when the bundle pack may actually be in their hands.[/QUOTE]

I called one store and they "didn't know" but then I called anothe one and they sadi the 15th... they didn't just pull that out of their ass probably.

[quote name='BIG5']I can see perfectly in complete darkness with the SP, and everyone says the DS has a better backlight and makes GBA games look better than ever.[/QUOTE]

Awesome -- exactly what I wanted to hear. I can honestly think of nothing better than sitting in complete darkness save for a full moon playing Castlevania: HoD and AoS (both of which I have yet to start) and then switching over to Super Mario 64 DS.

[quote name='Ensoniq']Has anyone who has actually gotten a standard Electric Blue unit confirm whether or not the Metroid Prime Hunters demo comes with? (I've read conflicting reports...)

Also...is this DS+Mario bundle in Titanium still going to include Metroid, or will it REPLACE it?[/QUOTE]
The electric blue DS does not have the demo. The bundle with a pack in replace the demo with mario 64 ds.

[quote name='BIG5']You haven't started AoS? What are you waiting for? It's the best portable game ever![/QUOTE]

My GBA broke... so apart from Castlevania: CotM (which would also be nice to see with the help of a back light), I haven't gotten to enjoy Castlevania on GBA.

I'm definitely starting AoS as soon as I get the DS though... and I can't wait for Dawn of Sorrow.

[quote name='sabin23']Does anyone know what surface the new Electric Blue DS consists of?

Is it like the old GBA plastic or like the GBA SP with the paint that easily chips off? IIRC, the Titanium has a painted surface. If the Blue is plastic like the old GBA, that might be a better pick-up in the long term (in terms of durability).[/QUOTE]
It's the same shiny stuff that chips off.

Anyone know if FYE is going to have these? If it's just a new repackaging of the DS I would expect so. Good time to use that FYE credit methinks.

[quote name='BIG5']You haven't started AoS? What are you waiting for? It's the best portable game ever![/QUOTE]

*Cough* Zelda's, & Marios > Castlevania's *Cough*

[quote name='Chris in Cali']*Cough* Zelda's, & Marios > Castlevania's *Cough*[/QUOTE]
Which Zelda and Mario games are you talking about? Most of the ones on GBA are ports, so I'm not counting them (even though they are among Nintendo's finest). I didn't like Minish Cap or the Oracle games much, but Link's Awakening is damn good.

bbds.jpg

I *really* hope that GameStop will start this deal tomorrow like everybody else.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']*Cough* Zelda's, & Marios > Castlevania's *Cough*[/QUOTE]

You really should see a doctor about that cough.... and a mental health doctor about that Zelda and Mario quip.

Uh course, either way, I have all those games on GBA and they're all awesome.

[quote name='Azure']
bbds.jpg

I *really* hope that GameStop will start this deal tomorrow like everybody else.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Gamestop's being a d-bag about this thing since the only place that knew what the hell I was talking about said they don't start the deal till' Wednesday. Just my luck that I had $115 store credit there.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, Gamestop's being a d-bag about this thing since the only place that knew what the hell I was talking about said they don't start the deal till' Wednesday. Just my luck that I had $115 store credit there.[/QUOTE]
Did you ask them if they started the deal with the BOXED bundle or if they'd do the deal anyways by just throwing in Mario 64 on the side, like how ebgames is doing it?

Keep in mind, some stores will NOT tel you simply because they don't want to lose sales in the new few days (people holding off etc.). However, since DS' arn't moving as well as they use to, this may not be true. I asked a my freind who is a manager of Game Crazy and she has not heard of the deal at all. Hell, they never even got the Blue DS' in.

Well, I'm going to call GameStop tomorrow morning before I leave. If they don't have it, I'll drop by at ebgames and ask how much I'd get for my PS2 games (I'm guessing they'll give me rip off prices), then I'll head onto GameStop if the offer is too low at ebgames (Most likely it will be). I'll get cash for my games there and ask in person what the deal with the bundle is and when they'll get it. Then I'll drop by at eb again and pick up this sweet deal:)

bread's done
Back