(UPDATE) Buy a Nintendo DS, get Super Mario 64 DS for free at all major retailers

Wombat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

UPDATE: Stores confirmed so far

EB Games, thanks Scahom1 link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54032

ebgames.com avail now!!!
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241868.asp

Best Buy, thanks TXboxGuY link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54789

Sears, thanks TXboxGuY, see page five for pic

Kmart, thanks Dogpatch, see page 7

Gamestop confirmed (starts June15), thanks Chacrana, see page 8

Gamestop.com plat: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020225L

gamestop.com blue:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B020252A

Walmart and walmart.com confirmed, thanks JJNova link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3600672&sourceid=23972595173720093424

fry's, thanks hiccupleftovers see page 9

official full list of stores link:

http://www.nintendods.com/mario/

I will update as I get info :)

Tomorrow is DS day.

I'll come right out and say it...

SELL YOUR PSP! IT TAKES MONEY OUT OF YOUR WALLET WHILE YOU SLEEP!

(relax folks. kidding. kinda silly that I have to even say i'm kidding.)

[quote name='Azure']Did you ask them if they started the deal with the BOXED bundle or if they'd do the deal anyways by just throwing in Mario 64 on the side, like how ebgames is doing it?[/QUOTE]

No I didn't. I'm going to call a couple stores today and see how they're doing it though. I'd imagine it's fine if they just throw the game in on the side.

[quote name='BIG5']Anyone know anything about Circuit City? Employees?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't in today's ad so I would imagine that they're not having it... at least not this week.

Considering you could bring a print-out of the EBGames and Best Buy offers to CC, I would guess they would have to do a price match. If anyone has any success doing this today, let me know...as I would want to do the same later this week. :)

[quote name='Ensoniq']Considering you could bring a print-out of the EBGames and Best Buy offers to CC, I would guess they would have to do a price match. If anyone has any success doing this today, let me know...as I would want to do the same later this week. :)[/QUOTE]

Speaking of price matches -- Does anyone know whether or not Gamestop actually does do price matches? I remember seeing somewhere that if you ask an employee about it, they have to tell you about it, but they're kinda trying to keep it "hush hush." So do they really price match or what?

[quote name='Chacrana']It wasn't in today's ad so I would imagine that they're not having it... at least not this week.[/QUOTE]
It would be nice to know if they are having it later on. I can't wait around for them while the offer expires everywhere else.

My EB didn't have Mario 64 on hand (so they thought) but luckily they found me one at the last second (Mario was the game I really wanted). My EB only had 2 Mario 64s in stock. They were cool, they wanted to let me pick any game of equal value instead. (Which is cool of them because the deal said while supplies last) A very good group of guys work at the EB near me. My mario 64 game came in a regular DS case and wasn't part of any sort of bundle/cheap case.

FYI I picked a blue DS it looks so hot. Its kind of like a Honda Civic Si blue. Its Metallic blue and almost somewhat like a purple. Its a Blurple.

[quote name='Chacrana']Speaking of price matches -- Does anyone know whether or not Gamestop actually does do price matches? I remember seeing somewhere that if you ask an employee about it, they have to tell you about it, but they're kinda trying to keep it "hush hush." So do they really price match or what?[/QUOTE]

Okay, well I called a couple more Gamestops today and a couple things:

1) They do pricematch. I'm headed out right now to go get Mario 64 with my DS from Gamestop.

2) A lot of people are just completely clueless about the deal -- only 2 stores actually knew what the hell I was talking about.

[quote name='Chacrana']
2) A lot of people are just completely clueless about the deal -- only 2 stores actually knew what the hell I was talking about.[/QUOTE]

Your right my EB and walmart didn't know about the deal yesterday, till I brought it up to their attention.

Just got back from Gamestop and I got the blue DS and Mario 64 DS... so all went well with the price matching deal. Git' off yer asses and go do it now people. Since Gamestop seems to be completely clueless save for a few select stores, this is how to get it done... or you could wait till Wednesday and try to find some place that actually knows what's happening... I'll be enjoying Castlevania: AoS and Mario DS in a few hours...

if your looking for the blue ds. dont go to the cc, bb, walmart, or target in the city of industry. They don't have it in stock yet. The only store that had it was TRU, but you had to get it in a bundle for 160ish.

[quote name='RandyTsai']if your looking for the blue ds. dont go to the cc, bb, walmart, or target in the city of industry. They don't have it in stock yet. The only store that had it was TRU, but you had to get it in a bundle for 160ish.[/QUOTE]

The only stores I've been to where I've seen it would be Gamestop and EBGames (obviously) as well as Best Buy... I was just there to pick up the Macross Plus box set and I walked by the games section and sure enough, they had it.

Wal Mart being the ghetto ass store that it is doesn't have it nor does Target (though Target is admittedly far nicer than Wal Mart and you should shop there instead.)

Has anyone tried to pricematch at CC to get 110% of the difference? Would they even price match or just give you the game for free?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Has anyone tried to pricematch at CC to get 110% of the difference? Would they even price match or just give you the game for free?[/QUOTE]

Confirmed price match at CC. Picked it up last night. Just take a walmart printout from the web.

got the blue DS at bestbuy and last copy of mario this morning. its not bundled together. they kept on forcing me to get the replacement plan or something like that for my DS. the blue DS is hot. its black and blue. blue top black bottom when closed. doesnt look purple to me. the cobalt for the SP looks more purple-bluish.

[quote name='Chacrana']Just got back from Gamestop and I got the blue DS and Mario 64 DS... so all went well with the price matching deal. Git' off yer asses and go do it now people. Since Gamestop seems to be completely clueless save for a few select stores, this is how to get it done... or you could wait till Wednesday and try to find some place that actually knows what's happening....[/QUOTE]

I've called every store in town, including Gamestop twice... and they all tell me no dice. Shame. I've ordered it off ebgames.com instead, but it stinks to have to pay sales tax AND shipping, plus be waiting 5-10 days for it to get here. Total $164.38

Was hoping someplace like outpost.com or amazon.com would be listing it. Still a great deal though, convinced me to get a DS to play this fall's lineup. Come on Castlevania, Mario Bros, Lunar: Silver Star Story, Sonic, Animal Crossing, and etc.

And the PSP doesn't deserve the casual bashing it's been taking in this thread. ;)
/playing Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racers, Need for Speed Underground, Hot Shots, and Lumines.

Damn this is pissing me off. All the best buys i went to have sold out of super mario 64. I'm just left with my blue DS and Wario ware.

I called several gamerushes today. One was nice and looked through his weekly plan or something and checked his DS boxes and saw that there where no MARIO 64 DS included. Is mario 64 DS being inside the box or is it and add on?

[quote name='panasonic']I called several gamerushes today. One was nice and looked through his weekly plan or something and checked his DS boxes and saw that there where no MARIO 64 DS included. Is mario 64 DS being inside the box or is it and add on?[/QUOTE]

Some are and some aren't. A bunch of posts talk about getting the game seperate, including some right before yours.

[quote name='Zombie']Some are and some aren't. A bunch of posts talk about getting the game seperate, including some right before yours.[/QUOTE]

hopefully Gamerush will find out tommorow. thanks for the response

[quote name='Zombie']Some are and some aren't. A bunch of posts talk about getting the game seperate, including some right before yours.[/QUOTE]

The guy who bought his from Walmart said that the game was in the package, but I pricematched at Gamestop and got a seperate copy... I believe that Best Buy and Sears are doing it the same way.

My brother and I went out to get him a DS today, but first we made some phone calls to make sure we didn't come home empty handed. (And it's a good thing we called ahead! Idiots....)
Gamestop #1 said they had the Blue DS in stock but swore that no free game promotion was taking place.
Gamestop #2 said they had the Blue DS in stock and insisted that there was no free Mario 64 because it doesn't even come out until this November.
EB #1 said they had the Blue DS and a free Mario 64 did come with it, so that's where we went.

Of course, when we got there, the employees were clueless, but luckily a manager was there who told them to just get a separate copy of Mario and ring it up and it should come up as free.

So we came home with an Electric Blue DS and a free, separate copy (not boxed in with DS) of Mario 64.

Pretty good deal, we are very happy. Now it's time for some multiplayer action!

[quote name='TJordan522']My brother and I went out to get him a DS today, but first we made some phone calls to make sure we didn't come home empty handed. (And it's a good thing we called ahead! Idiots....)
Gamestop #1 said they had the Blue DS in stock but swore that no free game promotion was taking place.
Gamestop #2 said they had the Blue DS in stock and insisted that there was no free Mario 64 because it doesn't even come out until this November.
EB #1 said they had the Blue DS and a free Mario 64 did come with it, so that's where we went.

Of course, when we got there, the employees were clueless, but luckily a manager was there who told them to just get a separate copy of Mario and ring it up and it should come up as free.

So we came home with an Electric Blue DS and a free, separate copy (not boxed in with DS) of Mario 64.

Pretty good deal, we are very happy. Now it's time for some multiplayer action![/QUOTE]

It takes a minute to get used to the controls, but damn, it's fun.

This and Aria or Sorrow will keep me busy for a long time.

Should I go back and swap for the Titanium (silver) DS with the Metroid demo?

I picked up the Eletric Blue today but they still had a couple old DS's with the Metroid demo in them... I was a little wary since those were probably the first batch of DSs manufactured and might have defects (dead pixels, etc.) I'm sure Nintendo has improved the process by now and the new batch of Blue DS should be defect free.

BTW, the EB clerk had no idea the DS came with a FREE Mario 64 game... I had to point out the ad to him and he double-checked that it would ring through.

What do you guys think though:
Keep the Blue?
Go back for the Titanium with Metroid demo?

How cool is the Metroid Demo? (Well I mean...I know it's cool, but how much of the game do you really get to play? First level or something?) I'm leaning toward the blue DS color, and knowing if missing out the Metroid Demo is a big deal might help me decide. Thanks.

[quote name='froinlaven']If you're planning on getting the DS at Bestbuy, you can order online for instore pickup from www.bestbuy.com/order and get $10 off. That's what I did, I'm just waiting for the order to be ready right now.[/QUOTE]
Good call, I think I'll do that. I wanted to get it at Circuit City since I have a $15 coupon, but they wouldn't let me use that after price matching, would they?

[quote name='Ensoniq']How cool is the Metroid Demo? (Well I mean...I know it's cool, but how much of the game do you really get to play? First level or something?) I'm leaning toward the blue DS color, and knowing if missing out the Metroid Demo is a big deal might help me decide. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Keep the Blue DS. I played the Metroid demo and wasn't all that impressed. My friend has a Silver DS from launch and he was letting me play the demo for some time. I like the Blue DS over the silver ones so I can live without the Metroid demo.

[quote name='froinlaven']If you're planning on getting the DS at Bestbuy, you can order online for instore pickup from www.bestbuy.com/order and get $10 off. That's what I did, I'm just waiting for the order to be ready right now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! Just cancelled my EBGames order and went with that. $13 less than EB with that cupon and instore pickup, bringing the price down to $151.19.

[quote name='Ensoniq']How cool is the Metroid Demo? (Well I mean...I know it's cool, but how much of the game do you really get to play? First level or something?) I'm leaning toward the blue DS color, and knowing if missing out the Metroid Demo is a big deal might help me decide. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Get the blue DS. I got that one and it sure is purdy... personally, I like it a lot better than silver. The Metroid Prime Hunters demo is pretty bootleg... it lasts only a couple minutes and quite honestly, isn't that fun. Think Metroid Prime except without the exploration or anything entertaining.

Hopefully, the full version will be improved a lot.

[quote name='BIG5']Good call, I think I'll do that. I wanted to get it at Circuit City since I have a $15 coupon, but they wouldn't let me use that after price matching, would they?[/QUOTE]

They might. I know that Best Buy, for example, let me price match a game and then use a coupon on it so I think Circuit City would too.

Ok. I just bought mine so what other games should I get? And can I play this thing over the next like the PSP or is it just DS vs DS?

[quote name='spydey']Ok. I just bought mine so what other games should I get? And can I play this thing over the next like the PSP or is it just DS vs DS?[/QUOTE]

That's my problem with the DS. Apart from Mario 64, there's nothing I would deem worthwhile. The first good game comes out in July (Lunar Genesis) followed by Metroid Prime Hunters (might be good), Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, and others.

So really, just play some good GBA games or pace yourself with Mario since there's really nothing aside from this for the time being.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's my problem with the DS. Apart from Mario 64, there's nothing I would deem worthwhile. The first good game comes out in July (Lunar Genesis) followed by Metroid Prime Hunters (might be good), Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, and others.

So really, just play some good GBA games or pace yourself with Mario since there's really nothing aside from this for the time being.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree--Yoshi Touch and Go is amazing, I love Wario Ware, and Kirby is supposedly going to be very good and that comes out this Wednesday.

[quote name='TJordan522']I completely disagree--Yoshi Touch and Go is amazing, I love Wario Ware, and Kirby is supposedly going to be very good and that comes out this Wednesday.[/QUOTE]

And if you like puzzlers... DS has those in droves.

It just seems this system hasn't caught on yet with more third party developers... it worries me that it never will.

I tried this today at EB *and* tried to do the GBA trade in to get the NDS for $99 w/ Mario 64. Needless to say, it was no dice, though the computer didn't ring up the $99 trade in deal properly before the Mario was scanned in. So I might try another day to get a NDS w/ Mario 64 for $99 after a GBA (old version) trade with 4 shitty games.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm tempted to just go to BB or somewhere and buy this, but I'm persistent on finding a deal on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you're gonna find one much less at a discount. Almost all stores are giving the game out as a seperate item rather than as a pack in... so on Ebay, people are gonna split the two up. Might as well just get the system now and avoid the hassle.

I came to the sad conclusion this weekend that GameRush just plain sucks.

I thought I had the perfect plan. I have no GR's around me, but I have a few BBVs that take trades with all the promos. So I trade in stuff at the BBVs in my area, and then once a month (or so) I hit a GR when I visit a friend and spend the credit. So I'm thinking to myself, I'll be getting a DS on Sunday.

Problem is, GameRush is NOT doing this deal (at least not yet). That's fine as long as they pricematch the other stores (Target, KMart, Meijer, etc.) that are practically right next door to them. Well, they DO NOT pricematch. Are they kidding?

Yep, my perfect plans got screwed over by GR's antiquated, non-competitive, non-existent pricematching policy. Oh well, I'll try FYE this week. I'm determined to get in on this deal using nothing but store credit.

-DM

PS: If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Meijer is also doing this deal. Try this link.

http://specials.meijer.com/SinglePage.aspx?fsi=4490&loc=25113&pg=281297&ad=4918144&ver=sbn&lmi=0

[quote name='Chacrana']That's my problem with the DS. Apart from Mario 64, there's nothing I would deem worthwhile. The first good game comes out in July (Lunar Genesis) followed by Metroid Prime Hunters (might be good), Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, and others.[/QUOTE]

I'd almost agree with you, Feel the Magic and Touch and Go seem too much like demos than full games to me. I would only pick them up cheap, personally. Though, Kirby's Canvas Curse looks like a winner. Maybe Meteos too. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/

[quote name='CheapyD']Nice job Wombat, you nailed this on the head! :applause:
Now go find us some pics of the Revolution controller.[/QUOTE]

Or actual Xbox 360 pricing. :roll:

Picked up the bundle @ TRU on sunday. I wouldda done bb or eb, but i had $100 in gift cards from my amex. The pro gamers kit is purely worthless, less the little cleaning cloth and the car charger if you need one. I got the blue but it has 2 stuck pixels, one white and one red :cry: Ill be swapping the ds today for another blue and cross my fingers.

bread's done
Back