Updated: Nintendo makes official announcement. Super Mario 3D World, DKC:TF, Pikmin 3 will be 19.99 March 11th

wiiups4

CAGiversary!
*We really need a "News" section too lol

I made this to let you know that Nintendo just announced "Nintendo Selects" are coming for these games, on March 11th, making them 19.99 each everywhere.

*Updated link http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

So if you were interested in these games, hold off for 3 more weeks.
Some wii and 3ds titles too, check link for those.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is CAG ... why is everyone preordering at MSRP? Wait for a sale.
First party Nintendo select titles? 20% off msrp is a sale. On things like Zelda OoT, Pikmin 3, and 3d World you will probably see OOS before a sale.

First party Nintendo select titles? 20% off msrp is a sale. On things like Zelda OoT, Pikmin 3, and 3d World you will probably see OOS before a sale.
OOS? Doubtful. Nintendo can just easily print more if they find that stores are selling out of certain titles. I'm saying wait for a B2G1 sale or something like that. Not a sale specific to Nintendo first party, as those are very rare.

i literally own every one of those games (well NES remix i got digitally from club nintendo, one for free and the other with coins). It's probably for the best, as I hate having "greatest hits" type boxes in my collection. But I am very glad others will get to enjoy these amazing games at a fraction of the price! Tropical Freeze and super Mario galaxy 2, all day long!

i literally own every one of those games (well NES remix i got digitally from club nintendo, one for free and the other with coins). It's probably for the best, as I hate having "greatest hits" type boxes in my collection. But I am very glad others will get to enjoy these amazing games at a fraction of the price! Tropical Freeze and super Mario galaxy 2, all day long!
SMG 2 has been $20 at Walmart for some time now. All the Walmarts in my area have several of them.

OOS? Doubtful. Nintendo can just easily print more if they find that stores are selling out of certain titles. I'm saying wait for a B2G1 sale or something like that. Not a sale specific to Nintendo first party, as those are very rare.
Nintendo print more because they sold out?

LOL

SMG 2 has been $20 at Walmart for some time now. All the Walmarts in my area have several of them.
Well i guess that's true, i've had it since launch cuz i loved SMG1. Just saying of all these nintendo select games, tropical freeze and galaxy 2 were my favorites and my recommended choices for those who don't have either. But I am surprised SMG2 has been seen for $20 as nintendo games almost NEVER drop to $20, hence why selects is such a great deal for those who haven't played these amazing games yet

Well i guess that's true, i've had it since launch cuz i loved SMG1. Just saying of all these nintendo select games, tropical freeze and galaxy 2 were my favorites and my recommended choices for those who don't have either. But I am surprised SMG2 has been seen for $20 as nintendo games almost NEVER drop to $20, hence why selects is such a great deal for those who haven't played these amazing games yet
Agreed, those 2 games are indeed amazing. I would also highly recommend Pikmin 3 to anyone with even the slightest interest in strategy games.

So I just ordered Oot and Mario world since I'm not really interested in the rest(already have pikmin and Galaxy 2) but I am interested in tropical freeze... Anyone know if it is any good?
Aside from the pinnacle of 2D platforming this generation, Tropical Freeze has a top-notch soundtrack, excellent mix of nostalgic and completely original tracks. Overall my favorite Wii U game, as the gameplay / music fusion makes for a high replay value (moreso if you have a similarly skilled co-op player to tag along with).

Aside from the pinnacle of 2D platforming this generation, Tropical Freeze has a top-notch soundtrack, excellent mix of nostalgic and completely original tracks. Overall my favorite Wii U game, as the gameplay / music fusion makes for a high replay value (moreso if you have a similarly skilled co-op player to tag along with).
this does sound like the game for me as me and my brother have little difficulty beating Mario levels this looks like it could provide plenty of fun. So yup I'm sold

this does sound like the game for me as me and my brother have little difficulty beating Mario levels this looks like it could provide plenty of fun. So yup I'm sold
Yea Donkey Kong TF and Rayman Legends are easily the best side-scrollers I've played in a long time.

I would prefer the originals, but if different upc and some places don't mark down the price then it's not a big deal. The side art will look almost the same as the original on the shelf (no tacky yellow, red colors like Gamecube ps2/ps3). The only difference from what I've seen on the side art is it has the crown at the bottom...  I hated the way greatest hits would look on the shelf, would clash with the OG copies.

If the spine looks like it does on Nintendo's website, then it wont clash on the shelf https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

I would prefer the originals, but if different upc and some places don't mark down the price then it's not a big deal. The side art will look almost the same as the original on the shelf (no tacky yellow, red colors like Gamecube ps2/ps3). The only difference from what I've seen on the side art is it has the crown at the bottom... I hated the way greatest hits would look on the shelf, would clash with the OG copies.
You could always print out the original covers yourself. I'm sure there are scans online for these games.

Any reason why Nintendo seems to have a stranglehold on their older games' pricing? There are a lot of two year old games that have only gone down 10 bucks in pricing for the physical copy.

Received shipment notification email from Bestbuy at 11am PST for OoT, Yoshi's Island, and MP Island Tour. 

Here's hoping to release day shipping for my 3DS Selects!

Any reason why Nintendo seems to have a stranglehold on their older games' pricing? There are a lot of two year old games that have only gone down 10 bucks in pricing for the physical copy.
A couple of reasons. First they know that their games will still sell fine years later at higher prices.

Second; Nintendo doesn't offer nearly as competitive pricing or rebate structures to retailers. This is also why pricing only drops on the really bomba games like Project Steam and Wonderful 101. If Nintendo realizes a game has no shelf life they have no issues cutting bait.

Lastly Nintendo is very reticent to lower the pricing on any software. They understand how badly a race to the bottom can destroy and industry.

So unlike other publishers who probably offer better preorder incentives, more rebate or refund money for large frontloaded retailer orders and other plans to goose that retail on the first 6 weeks, Nintendo prefers to keep and promote games a long time to keep the value of software high.

This is why you see Ubisoft games get steep sales like 8 weeks from launch. All the incentives are gone and they are working with retailers to push through any initial inventory and to goose some reorders too.

Both strategies work to a degree because I am sure Nintendo works out other deals and retailers get a bigger per unit gross margin.

Granted I could also be miasing that I think Nintendo still uses an intermediary distribution company and that will keep software prices high too.

FYI for those interested in the original packaging: I work at Walmart and there were price changes in the system today for the games that are part of the Selects line to match the new prices. Can't speak for all stores obviously but mine only has DK Tropical Freeze in stock out of the whole bunch, but other people may be lucky elsewhere.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Nintendo+selects&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Best Buy has the Nintendo selects available for pre-order with free store pick up or free shipping if you get 2 or more games. Only $16 a piece b4 tax w/ Gamer's Club Unlocked. I bought Pikmin 3, DKC Tropical Freeze, TLoZ Ocarina of Time, DKC Returns 3D & Super Mario All-Stars. Click link above if interested.

Also not sure if others have noted this, but I think today (technically late afternoon yesterday) Gamestop dropped the used prices of these to sub $20 levels, if people want to get the original print run copies (assuming they are in good shape to begin with). SMAS Wii is still $29.99 though.

It's been out of print for a while. Some of us prefer owning our games rather than a revocable license to use the games.
Fully agreed, but I was just trying to offer you an alternative.

Funny thing is, according to Nintendo.. even discs and cartridges are supposedly revocable as well, but they would catch hell if you ever tried.

Pikmin 3 was on the shelves at Walmart. Picked up DKTF since they had the original version still at the new price.

Fully agreed, but I was just trying to offer you an alternative.

Funny thing is, according to Nintendo.. even discs and cartridges are supposedly revocable as well, but they would catch hell if you ever tried.
They cannot take your disks back. You bought them. You own them. Taking them would be theft.

However, they could make a program that would make your disks unplayable in the system. No company has done that. MS threatened to do that with the XB1 but backed away. But as it stands with the current state of affairs, you can do whatever you want withyour disks because you own them.

Think bestbuy will have these in store friday? Going to go pick up something then and I have a 2x reward coupon to use, would like to grab these also to maximize the coupon.

Should have sold some of my sealed copies before the price drop but was too lazy. Might pick up DKC Returns and Mario Galaxy 2. Maybe even the physical of Pikmin even though I have the digital.

They cannot take your disks back. You bought them. You own them. Taking them would be theft.

However, they could make a program that would make your disks unplayable in the system. No company has done that. MS threatened to do that with the XB1 but backed away. But as it stands with the current state of affairs, you can do whatever you want withyour disks because you own them.
As I said, the backlash would destroy them.... I was just pointing out that even back as far as the Nintendo they claimed they own the software ON the cartridge, but you own the cartridge.

It's just a fun, and stupid tidbit of knowledge I've picked up over the years... and yeah, I still have many of my cartridge and discs.

It looks like the used prices for many of these are falling at GS. Pikmin 3, DK:TF, and Ocarina 3D are all $18.99 used now. The only other one I checked was Mario All Stars, which is still $29.99. Conveniently, that is the only one I want. Great.

It looks like the used prices for many of these are falling at GS. Pikmin 3, DK:TF, and Ocarina 3D are all $18.99 used now. The only other one I checked was Mario All Stars, which is still $29.99. Conveniently, that is the only one I want. Great.
It's also the only one of the lot to likely retain some of its value, however, thanks to the fact that it came in a special box with extras.

Ewww, I'm getting offered a $5.99 Prime Pantry credit for free no-rush shipping when I try to preorder Ocarina of Time. Is this the same offer that every else is getting as a Prime member?

I ordered a couple of games with Prime Free Two Day shipping but it's showing delivery for the 15th. Lame, was hoping for release day delivery like with Bayonetta 2.

I could, but I'd rather have the original art from Nintendo, authentically. I'm weird about my game collection haha.
i hear that. I see "nintendo selects" and all i HEAR is "greatest hits" and with my game collection of over 3,380+ games, i have less than 10 games that are greatest hits/platinum hits/ what have you. When i said i owned all these games already.. i semi-lied. i didnt have mario party 3ds or yoshis new island.. so i just went against the CAG code and bought them at normal price on amazon yesterday, knowing that the original boxes would be replaced by these.

I am already KICKING myself for not getting Bayonetta 2 w/ the bayonetta 1 game included at a cheaper price. The game goes for over $100 now. Sigh. So now i wait and hope i can see it somewhat cheaper in the future as i went to EVERY target, best buy, and walmart withing 30 minutes from where i live and none had any bayonetta launch copies left, and this was a few days before stand alone bayonetta 2 came out. so lame.

bread's done
Back