Updated PS3 Games / Point Acquisition and Redemption Strategies for SonyCard Holders

Fifth Ocean

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
:EDIT: Scroll through to find Rush's advice regarding point accrual and redemption.

I'm not sure if anyone else jumped for the SonyStyle credit card offer a while back around August of '07, but if you did, chances are you might have residual points for your initial purchase (I received about 4.5K when purchasing the 60gb and an HDMI cable). Anyway, there selection of games to redeem points for has been updated, with the newer games actually costing less points than the old.

http://sonyrewards.com/en/redeem/subcategory/index/4?subcategory=187

New: 6,000 Points
Uncharted Drake’s Fortune
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
Heavenly Sword
MLB 08 The Show

Old: 6,400 Points
F1 Championship
Genji: Days of the Blade
MLB 07 The Show
NBA 07
Motorstorm
Resistance: Fall of Man

I realize it is pretty specific to a few people (and maybe not a deal), but I've been waiting for this to happen for pretty much 7 months. Hope it helps someone else in a similar position. Right now I'm leaning towards Uncharted.

[quote name='d56alpine']Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I'm an intelligent person, but it would have taken me a year to get through all the "stuff" on the sonyrewards website to figure out how to earn and redeem smartly. What is your opinion on the BEST way to spend points in order to get the most bang for my buck?[/QUOTE]

Gift cards.

I always use my points for $50 gift cards at Blockbuster. They cost 4400 pts (4250 + 150 shipping), which is the equivalent of $44 in pts. That's a savings of $6. I usually use the gift cards to buy tax-free PSN cards or video games on sale.

[quote name='d56alpine']Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I'm an intelligent person, but it would have taken me a year to get through all the "stuff" on the sonyrewards website to figure out how to earn and redeem smartly. What is your opinion on the BEST way to spend points in order to get the most bang for my buck?[/quote]

I've had the card for several years now. IMO, I think that it's best to buy a Sony product from a store, and then fill out the credit redemption form. I usually buy games listed on CAG or save it up for something else. I recently saved up my points to buy a Bravia TV. With persistent research and my Sony credit points, I spent only 50% out of my pocket on the TV. I also got a credit for my PS3 a year ago

[quote name='bigl523']http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...InYour20s/9waysToBuildAKillerCreditScore.aspx

Please don't pay interest to build up your credit. It is simply not necessary and you are throwing money out the window.[/quote]

QFT.

It's disheartening to hear/see so many people think carrying a balance on their cards is helping them.

---

Just under 5,000 points for me on my account. Any purchases made with the card are supposed to add up, right? It never seems like I'm getting anywhere with points from purchases (and I have moderate balances each month).

Hi guys,

By luck I happened upon this great thread. I've read through the entire thread but I still have some questions. Please help out this noob.

1. I don't have a Sony card yet, because I already have 3 credit cards. Is it worth it to apply now? Should I wait for a price drop on the PS3 and then combine it with an application to the credit card?

2. The wheel of fortune game has been going on for almost a year, am I too late to earn sizable rewards?

3. Do I have to have a Sony card to earn points and redeem a PS3 ( my only goal ), is this the only way to redeem these prizes? Also do I need the card in order to play Wheel of Fortune?

4. I know that it's on the first page, but can someone explain to me again what the steps are to signing up for these great chances at redeeming the prizes?

I humbly thank everyone for being patient and not annoyed with these questions.

[quote name='Crowolf']Hi guys,

By luck I happened upon this great thread. I've read through the entire thread but I still have some questions. Please help out this noob.

1. I don't have a Sony card yet, because I already have 3 credit cards. Is it worth it to apply now? Should I wait for a price drop on the PS3 and then combine it with an application to the credit card?

2. The wheel of fortune game has been going on for almost a year, am I too late to earn sizable rewards?

3. Do I have to have a Sony card to earn points and redeem a PS3 ( my only goal ), is this the only way to redeem these prizes? Also do I need the card in order to play Wheel of Fortune?

4. I know that it's on the first page, but can someone explain to me again what the steps are to signing up for these great chances at redeeming the prizes?

I humbly thank everyone for being patient and not annoyed with these questions.[/quote]

1. The promotion ends at the end of this month, so no.

2. Absolutely not. You can still earn points every weekday, and they are good for five years for card holders.

3. No, but your points are only good for a year without one, and you have minimum point redemption limits and lot's of other restrictions. It's really not worth it without the card.

4. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

how do you register your product? i didn't register my PS3, blu-ray, psp, many other Sony products. Oh and someone said I can use my reward point for Sony products? Can i use it to buy Killzone 2? if so how does it work? please explain.

[quote name='evergoo']Gift cards.

I always use my points for $50 gift cards at Blockbuster. They cost 4400 pts (4250 + 150 shipping), which is the equivalent of $44 in pts. That's a savings of $6. I usually use the gift cards to buy tax-free PSN cards or video games on sale.[/quote]

How does it only cost you 4400 in points? Shows up as 5150 after shipping for me...

[quote name='anthfett06']How does it only cost you 4400 in points? Shows up as 5150 after shipping for me...[/QUOTE]

thats with the 15% discount for answering 12 questions in a month

Hi thanks for the answers.

What I meant in the first question is what are the best steps to accumulating these points?

Do I first sign up for a Sony card, then sign up for the wheel of fortune, and then accumulate points like that?

Also from the previous post I understand that if I only sign up for Wheel of Fortune, those points that I earn will only last a year, but if I combine it with a Sony Card it will last five years?

Any purchases that I make will count towards my point total if I use the Sony Card right?

On average how long would it take to get a PS3, I probably spend only 300 bucks a month with my credit card.

Thank you once again for any informative info.

For normal purchases you get 1 point per dollar spent. Thats like $0.01. So to get a ps3, you need about $400 worth of points, so you need to spend $40,000 to get that many points.
Doing the games on the website can get you about 150 points = $1.50 a week.

wow, lol thats going to take a long time for me to get there.

Now, I just need to see if it is worth the risk of opening another credit card. By the way can someone give me the direct link to sign up for the Sony card?

Thanks for all the help guys.

[quote name='rvarma']For normal purchases you get 1 point per dollar spent. Thats like $0.01. So to get a ps3, you need about $400 worth of points, so you need to spend $40,000 to get that many points.
Doing the games on the website can get you about 150 points = $1.50 a week.[/quote]

There's also random polls for 10 points, 25 points for monthly wish list updates, random "campaign points" and point multiplier promotions or specials for sony products/shopping at sonystyle.

Don't forget 2500 points just for registering 5 sony products.

O thats really cool, just for registering for sony products I can get points, but thats all assuming that I have the credit card in the first place right?

[quote name='Crowolf']O thats really cool, just for registering for sony products I can get points, but thats all assuming that I have the credit card in the first place right?[/quote]

No, but as a card holder, you keep points 5 years instead of 1 and have no point usage restrictions (like a max amount of points you can use on items that cost less than X).

Thank you for clarifying that, now i understand that with the card i don't have to worry about the year limitation.

Is it okay if i just sign up with the wheel of fortune first and then later down the line get the credit card thereby extending the term limit?

Otherwise I might as well get the card so I can hopefully get a PS3 and play online for free.

I still don't get the product registration. Do i have to make a new account at Backstage Access (Sonystyle) to register them? or Do I just use the Guest registration thing? And how do you guys get 15% off? is that from answering the Questionaire questions in your profile?

So in order to get heavenly sword, I must:
Open a new line of credit
Make a bajillion purchases
Pay back the debt,
and get a $30 game? =o

EDIT:
I thni kI get it now:
Register my ps3 and psp,;
and do some questions?

Can you get a credit for a purchase from Amazon.com with the Card Redemption Form online? I'm not sure if I hav eto buy something from a Sony Authorized reseller. I have a good 15,000 points to redeem, and I'm looking for a cheap camcorder.

[quote name='doubledown']Can you get a credit for a purchase from Amazon.com with the Card Redemption Form online? I'm not sure if I hav eto buy something from a Sony Authorized reseller. I have a good 15,000 points to redeem, and I'm looking for a cheap camcorder.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Amazon is an authorized Sony retailer. After you get your receipt, you mail a copy of it and a purchase credit form to their rewards program.

[quote name='Viperx116']How long does it take them to ship an item? I placed my order almost 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped.[/QUOTE]

It took them about 3 weeks to send out my subwoofer when I ordered it. I called after 2 weeks with no change in status, and they told me 3-4 weeks was normal.

FWIW, once it shipped I got it in like 2-3 days.

MjC

bread's done
Back