Updated: PSP 1.5 firmware hacked! Games bootable off of memory sticks!

I think I'll wait until a better way to play snes and nes games becomes available... This just opened up many possibilities.

[quote name='fivecardstud']im playing right now and am curious how i could damage it?[/QUOTE]

You can't, there just jealous that they can't figure out how to get it to work ;)

In reality, it is possible, but you can say that about everything you use. How many PS2's go bad after playing too many DVDs on them?

[quote name='fivecardstud']im playing right now and am curious how i could damage it?[/QUOTE]

one remedy, which is what I like to do, is do the swap once then put the system on sleep mode until you need to play it. Then you can turn it on and play homebrews without ever having to change the Memory Sticks, oh... and I'm doing fine with my sticks and I'm using a 32mb and a 512mb. Not bad little app. Don't be surprised if the card swapping gets fixed in the future.

Here is a idiot proof (almost) instruction for the SNES emulator:

1) Download the 1.5 files at this link. These are already Swaploit'ed, so they're good to go.

2) Put the EBOOT.PBP file from the MS1 folder into your 32MB MS Pro Duo, into the directory /PSP/GAME/SNES/

3) Put the EBOOT.PBP file from the MS2 folder into your bigger MS Pro Duo, into the directory /PSP/GAME/SNES/

4) Put the raw (*.smc) ROM file(s) you wish to try into the bigger MS Pro Duo, into the directory /PSP/GAME/ROMS/SNES/

5) Put the 32MB Stick into your PSP, take out UMD disc, then turn on the PSP.

6) Go to the game icon on the far right, go down to the last icon, press the X, you should see a really gay splash screen saying the 1.5 exploit. Press the X again, and the PSP will run the program.

7) During the duration of the PSP splash screen, you have to take out the 32MB stick, and insert your larger MS Pro Duo. If you're slow, the emulator will not launch. So be quick.

8) If done properly, emulator will run. You'll see a menu and you can select the ROMs that are in the proper folder /PSP/GAME/ROMS/SNES/. Remember, for this SNES emulator, the darker color is the highlight, you'll see what I mean.

Misc instruction: If you move left on the thumb stick while running the SNES emulator, you'll get a setup menu. There you can adjust the speed of the PSP (222MHz, 266MHz, 333MHz), the speed of the emulator (running speed at 1.0x, 1.1x, 1.2x... etc), also the screen size, and other misc properties. I tried to set it at 1.5x and 266MHz, the emulator seems to run at about 80% of the speed, with sound. Adjust at your own risk.

[quote name='fieldkillah']I was just playing Chrono Trigger, this is great.[/QUOTE]

can you take a picture of it? I just wanna see how it look like on a psp before I go and buy a another memory stick.

thanks

so what exactly does the very first download in the first post do??

does it jus convert emulator files into PSP format??

so rather, I can jus download pre-converted files and use them instead?

regardless, Ima get a new memory card.

$50 - $10 instant - $10 mail in at CC this week for a 256!

These are a little darker than how it looks on the screen because of my camera.

Chrono trigger in full mode

Chrono Trigger in normal mode

Super punch out in normal mode.

[quote name='fieldkillah']These are a little darker than how it looks on the screen because of my camera.

Chrono trigger in full mode

Chrono Trigger in normal mode

Super punch out in normal mode.[/QUOTE]

thanks look awesome

[quote name='gizmogc']Bleh, SNES Emu does suck...its gotten 'stuck' a few times, resulting in rebooting, or actually removing the battery.[/QUOTE]

Its only version 0.3, can you code a better emulator in a matter of days?

Nice quick guide, however you put it in the DIR GAME not GAMES

I can't seem to get it working though. I always come up with an error where it says it could not launch game.

[quote name='Kayden']Its only version 0.3, can you code a better emulator in a matter of days?[/QUOTE]
Actually it's like 0.03. Which makes it even better. :) As for the memory stick, I'm waiting for a $100 1 GB one from Best Buy since I have money to spend there.

ok nm I figured it out, you swap it right at the psp splash screen. I thought another splash screen was comingup. HOwever I couldn't getthe mame emulators to work.

the onyl emu i can get workign so far is the NES one... works nicely, but am trying to get myself a working version of the SNES one. I wonder why so many people are getting different results with the swapper 1.5 software.

stretched mode looks like ass (as expected) tho it works! (with swap :cry: )
now i hope they create support for emu via wifi internet connection (similar to kai)

if you wanna chat about the emus and get (some) help, in real time - jump onto efnet on irc and join #ps2ownz (or click here)

i am 100% positive that wifi gaming with emu will be attempted if not fully completed.
the big question is time - 2 months - 6 months - 1 year? heh

so far my emu of choice is tg16

well, right now It seems the mame progs from the pack don't work. The mame from the other site boots up but I dont have any of the roms on that list and the roms I have aren't on the list. Snes9x seems to run incredibly slow (tested mario kart and cho aniki (ewww)). Looks like they need to do some tweaking hehe =) but cool to see it works.

got damn is this thing SUPPOSED to be so slow???

altho I admit, pulling off consistent 10+ chains in Tettris Attack makes me feel like god

[quote name='gizmogc']Bleh, SNES Emu does suck...its gotten 'stuck' a few times, resulting in rebooting, or actually removing the battery.[/QUOTE]
its slow as fuck too, i don't think games run "normally" unless the clock is at 333.

I would just like to further my prior post, to say that the site I linked to, has a CRAPlot of good, patched imports- Fire Emblem, Bahamut Lagoon, and Front mission, for example. right, I just didn't want to flood the board with hordes of links to each ;p

[quote name='help1']According to IGN,this damages your PSP... but they don't explain HOW!

http://psp.ign.com/articles/625/625764p1.html?fromint=1[/QUOTE]

hehe maybe in the swapping process you can accidently jam in your duo the wrong way =). but u know it sounds better to keep out that detail. Either that or run it at 333. Other than that I doubt there's much of a chance of dmg your psp.

Sounds like sony ass kissing to me. Running at 333mhz is something that the PSP is supposed to be able to do, it was only clocked at 222mhz (supposedly) because battery life was too poor otherwise.

Here's hoping for a faster snes emu and a new version of Doom psp!

[quote name='Robobandit']Sounds like sony ass kissing to me. Running at 333mhz is something that the PSP is supposed to be able to do, it was only clocked at 222mhz (supposedly) because battery life was too poor otherwise.

Here's hoping for a faster snes emu and a new version of Doom psp![/QUOTE]

yeah it's a real pity the doom psp doesn't work with the swap =(

[quote name='Zoglog']yeah it's a real pity the doom psp doesn't work with the swap =([/QUOTE]

it does
i played it yesterday with the swap method

err.. I never meant to imply Doom psp didn't work with the swap.. I just meant to say that it is a buggy mess and I can't wait for a better version :) (really hard to aim with the analog, but not, analog stick, imho)

[quote name='Zoglog']hehe maybe in the swapping process you can accidently jam in your duo the wrong way =). but u know it sounds better to keep out that detail. Either that or run it at 333. Other than that I doubt there's much of a chance of dmg your psp.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading around on this and people have been reporting that if you change the sticks at the wrong time you can damge the memory stick, making it unusable in your psp and your computer. I reccomend people use shitty 32 mb cards and see if this happens before potentially damaging their 1gb cards that they spent a lot of money on.

bread's done
Back