Updated: PSP 1.5 firmware hacked! Games bootable off of memory sticks!

ALright went back and gave it a secound try. Everything seems to be going good, but does anyone have any clue what settings are neede to get games running at or close to %100?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']... give the emus about another month or two and they should be doing pretty well...

waiting till someone can prove that running emus at 333 won't hurt my PSP.[/QUOTE]

The fact that the hardware is advertised as 333mhz isn't enough proof?

If anything, you should be worried about the uncertified and boredline illegal programs you're running.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']... give the emus about another month or two and they should be doing pretty well...

waiting till someone can prove that running emus at 333 won't hurt my PSP.[/QUOTE]

333 is the actual console limit, its not overclocking. I dont see how having a system do its advertised speed is a bad thing....unless your the battery

I finally got around to getting this going.

I have a few tips to those of you new to emulation.

Turn off the sound. - Don't turn the volume down, disable it completely in the menu.
Run in normal mode.
Run at 333mhz.

Frame rates for G-Darius:
Sound on at 333- 46 FPS- 100% speed
Sound off at 222- 36 FPS- 90-100% speed
Sound on at 222- 26FPS- 80%ish speed

For the new booting method...
add % to the end of your 'card 1' folder. Put roms in the 'card 2' spot without %. This was kinda confusing for me at first.

[quote name='Shayde']Now they just need to have the second eboot not show up on the game list, and custom pictures for the emulators :)[/QUOTE]

The first part most likely wont happen anytime soon, and im pretty sure you can do the custom pics for the emu's

I got really bored and made/cropped some new PSP backgrounds... I'm too lazy to post all 12...
069vs.png

094fh.png

116kz.png

file:///H:/Documents and Settings/K...PSP Emu/PSPersonalize_v1.0/Backgrounds/03.bmp

[quote name='whoknows']If I put the PSP at 333mhz is it possible to change it back?[/QUOTE]

Its only for the emulator.... so I think... Even if it does stay in effect afterwards, you could just underclock it again.

[quote name='Kayden']Its only for the emulator.... so I think... Even if it does stay in effect afterwards, you could just underclock it again.[/QUOTE]

Ok, how do I put it t 333?
I am too lazy to find out.

Just got everything up and running. Pretty sweet, and definitely adds another dimension to the PSP. The wife is really going to like the NES emulator on our next trip.

I was actually thinking about picking up a DS today, but this is probably going to make me wait awhile longer until the DS drops below $100 used.

[quote name='whoknows']Ok, how do I put it t 333?
I am too lazy to find out.[/QUOTE]

Its in the emulator menu.
For NES its accessed by pressing L in game
For SNES it accessed by moving the "joystick" left

[quote name='Akkis99']when will they fix the speeds for gen and snes emus?[/QUOTE]

Give them time. They've only had a couple of months with this hardware/firmware, so what they've accomplished so far is pretty amazing.

I love my PSP more than ever now :D

And is it possible to save a game?
I want to play Chrono Trigger, but dont want to start and not be able to save it.

[quote name='whoknows']I love my PSP more than ever now :D

And is it possible to save a game?
I want to play Chrono Trigger, but dont want to start and not be able to save it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is a save state function in the menu, and I think it saves when saving the game normally.

[quote name='Akkis99']when will they fix the speeds for gen and snes emus?[/QUOTE]

Did you read this thread at all?

I told you how to get it to run at 100% two different ways. 1- disable the sound, 2- set it to 333mhz.

Its not a problem with the emulator, its just you need more power to run SNES games. It may not make sense that you need a top end modern system to play 10 year old games, but keep in mind this hardware wasn't designed to play SNES games. An emulator uses software to mimic hardware. That take a lot more processing power than having hardware designed for the job. The PSP CPS has to handle graphics, sound, controls, transparencies and all other parts of the rom. SNESs have dedicated hardware for each task.

Has there been any confirmed reports of anyone damaging thier PSP running it at 333? I'm not too worried cuz I have the Best buy PSP on mine but yeah D:

Yes the unit was designed to be ablet o run at 333 but you never know what might happen when you fiddle with stuff like that :D

Damn chrono trigger is a demanding game... Its only about 80-80% at 333 without sound and normal screen size.

Man, PSPGenesis is awesome. Too bad the SRAM doesn't work on Phantasy Star 4. Works on most other games, though.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Problem is, at 333 you can (and will) overheat your PSP, causing it to crash after a while.[/QUOTE] I would just love it if you could find any proof of this...really.

Simply play with it at that level, and if within 2hrs tops your PSP hasn't froze yet, then consider yourself lucky, you've got the god of all psps.

On a related note, seems I can't get the nonswap trick to work, perhaps a detailed explantion as to how it works.

First off, ive played the thing for about 4 hours straight, at 333, using snes 9x and Chrono Trigger...and im pretty sure my PSP didnt do that whole "Creation in 7 days" BS.

That being said... take the file folder for Memory Stick 1 (MS1) that holds the eboot file and label it "SNES%" (or whatever emu/name you want) and take memory Stick two and label that folder "SNES" (or whatever emu/name you want). The roms would go into the folder without the % in the title

Huh, wierd, I've tried 333 on 3 seperate psps and the all froze in less than an hour. Well Whatever :p

as for the solution, it didn't work :( I have tried renaming the files and I have tried the program that come in the dload, no such luck. Could anyone elaborate further?

NES emulator works great. The Genesis one is ok at 333, but I'm afraid to kill my PSP...it seems to lockup whenver I try to exit a game. Now, I just wish I could find some GOOD NES roms.....I know I know, don't ask...right

*SIDE NOTE*
What are your favorite ROMS to play?

Tecmo Bowl is mine....I'm sticking to NES for now, since Genesis seems slow

Playing Tecmo Super Bowl with the joystick rocks.
Although, it might've just been me, but Bubble Bobble, Mega Man 1, Excitebike, and a few others didn't work :cry:

Well seems certain games tend to crash for me over an extended period of time.

As for the genny emu, seems fine to me, set at 333, turn off sound and viola! perfect emu, except gunstar heroes :( Anyone know of any emu that plays this game, and while we're at it an NES emu that lets me play castlevania 3 (the only NES rom that STILL can't be played on the GBA). Okay I know I'm asking for far too much, but I heard rumors of a working GBA emu, any truth to this rumor?

[quote name='Shayde']Download this, it has all the current emulators already "pre-made" so all you have to do is put them on your PSP. It also has Doom.[/QUOTE]
I dl'ed this, but what folder am I supposed to put the emulators in?
the .rar file comes with a folder titled "PSP" and it says to put it in the root folder (not in any other folder) of the memory card,
the problem is, there already is a PSP folder there, and replacing the original folder that came on the PSP itself seems like it would be a bad idea,
can someone help me out?

the folder tree goes like this:
PSP/GAME/SNES (or whatever emu you use)

So copy the files SNES and SNES% to the "GAME" folder. The psp reads the SNES% folder first, so that is the dummy file. It then reads the SNES folder, which is the folder you put the roms.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Okay I know I'm asking for far too much, but I heard rumors of a working GBA emu, any truth to this rumor?[/QUOTE]

There is a VERY early GBA emu out there, but its got a crap load of limitations, let alone runs slow.

I have a corrupted file listed in on my Memory card.

I am running the Nes emulator because this seems to be the only one that really works properly.

In my NES folder I have the games and the eboot files
I also have the eboot files in the NES% folder.

Do I need to have this file in both folders? I think that this could be one of the corrupt files or could it be a bad rom?

[quote name='SpottedNigel']With the non-swap technique you will have a corrupt file for each emu you have on your card[/QUOTE]

Cool at least nothing is wrong with my card then. Thanks

[quote name='punqsux']the mapper for castlevania 3 had never been properly emulated as far as i know.[/QUOTE]

Why the in the hell is this? You'd think they would've figured out a way BY NOW.

Thanks Nigel for the GBA emu info, looks like I'll wait a bit before trying to track it down.

bread's done
Back