Urologist tells Obama supporters to go elsewhere

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']he's a urologist in private practice. Nobody is going to die from him being an asshole.[/QUOTE]

There's a joke in here somewhere. Moist and spongy, no doubt.

[quote name='Strell']There's a joke in here somewhere. Moist and spongy, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

The wangwrangler is married to a Republican harridan and has to look at problematic penii all day, I see no opening for a joke.

No seriously it sounds like living hell to me.

[quote name='JolietJake']That has got to be the most asinine thing I've ever read on this forum. You're equating someone assaulting the doctor with someone who has opposing political views? Doctors shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose patients, period.[/QUOTE]

And you wonder why so many people are fearful of what your type of thinking leads to.

According to this thread, simply becoming a medical doctor means that A.) You should be forced to give up your freedom of speech in regards to politics and B.) You should be forced to give up your freedom of association in regards to whom you want to enter business relationships with.

JJ - With this wonderful line of thinking - why haven't you become a doctor? Or do you prefer to live with the idea that others who have worked hard to become doctors should be forced to be your slave? Just like you believe those who have worked hard should be forced to pay for your medical bills?

Gee and here I thought that being an M.D. isn't just a job or a career that can make you a lot of money.

Is this just more of Bob pretending that this discussion is about anything but what was being discussed?

[quote name='Msut77']The wangwrangler is married to a Republican harridan and has to look at problematic penii all day, I see no opening for a joke.

No seriously it sounds like living hell to me.[/QUOTE]

Urology is actually a pretty competitive and sought after surgical specialty. It's a pretty good lifestyle, especially since there aren't that many acute urological emergencies. For severe urinary retention leading to acute renal failure, anyone can easily put in a Foley. Hematuria doesn't cause people to bleed out, etc. They also don't only deal with penises (not the correct plural form), but also with essentially the whole genitourinary tract from the kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate, urethra, etc. They mainly deal with LUTS (prostate stuff), complex ED, and hematuria evaluations.

[quote name='JolietJake']Doctors shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose patients, period. [/QUOTE]
:wall:

Why?

The vast majority of patients are reasonable people looking for help.

However, some patients are assholes. They come in for visits late chronically, don't call to cancel their appointment, seek narcotics and benzos, and have unrealistically high expectations.

I would not fault a plastic surgeon refusing to perform a scar revision on a patient who has axis ii diagnoses and will likely be unhappy with the result.

I would not fault an internist from discharging a patient from his clinic who consistently misses appointments and goes to various ERs and other doctors in an effort to score oxycontin or percocet.

The list goes on...

I don't agree with the urologist making his political stand because I find it tacky and unprofessional, but I don't see anything inappropriate or unethical about it...

[quote name='mykevermin']Can't we go back to the fact that this urologist has no idea what he's opposed to? That he demonstrably doesn't get the bill?[/QUOTE]

No. How could that be relevant?

[quote name='mykevermin']Can't we go back to the fact that this urologist has no idea what he's opposed to? That he demonstrably doesn't get the bill?[/QUOTE]

Why? It's so much more fun to talk about how some people feel everyone in the field of medicine should be turned into government slaves.

[quote name='UncleBob']Why? It's so much more fun to talk about how some people feel everyone in the field of medicine should be turned into government slaves.[/QUOTE]

Is that what Obamacare does?

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes. We take guns to their offices and hold them to their heads, and then we get prescriptions.

Read it; it's in the bill.[/QUOTE]

You laugh, but going by what some people here post, I think they'd go for a system like that.

Awesome. Looks like Alan "Outrageous" Grayson took a page from Strell's playbook...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ti-obama-doctor-will-deny-treatment-to-blacks
"Well, in fact, where he lives, in Mount Dora, which is in my district, many, many of the Democrats who live in Mount Dora happen to be African-Americans," Grayson said on CNN. "So, by saying that he will not treat somebody who supported Obama, he's saying that he's not going to treat a large number of African-Americans in the community."

I mean, it should have been obvious to everyone how racist this bastard is.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you refute Grayson's claim?[/QUOTE]

Can you prove that Grayson's claim has anything to do with the decisions made by this doctor?

You have:
1) A very conservative district in FL, so you have a relatively small population of Dems.
2) Around 12% Black population - who are more likely to be Dems than other residents.

Kind of a de facto result, right? That's what Grayson said if you want to interpret his words verbatim - he didn't say the physician was intentionally acting in a discriminatory manner, he was saying the doctor was simply being discriminatory - intentionally or inadvertently. Seems plausible given basic demographics.

So, there, I've humored you. Now refute Grayson's claim.

There is nothing wrong with the facts of the claim. The intentions behind it are underhanded and misguided.

Likewise, Obama's new healthcare plans will disproportionately increase taxes on white people, while giving a higher percentage of handouts to people of color. If I went around saying that, would you be okay with it? I mean, it's all true, right?

You know quite a bit about Rep. Grayson's intentions, do you?

Quite presumptive.

Oh, the tanning taxes = racism angle, eh? Christ a'mighty. IT'S A fuckING CARCINOGENIC FACTOR.

[quote name='mykevermin']You know quite a bit about Rep. Grayson's intentions, do you?

Quite presumptive.

Oh, the tanning taxes = racism angle, eh? Christ a'mighty. IT'S A fuckING CARCINOGENIC FACTOR.[/QUOTE]

Not the tanning tax.

What percentage of the "Top 1%" in the US are white? What percentage are people of color?

What percentage of people living in poverty in the US are people of color? What percentage of them are white?

Obamacare disproportionately raises taxes on white people while giving more to people of color.

You're using centuries of institutionally racist policies that have led to incredibly disparate wealth inequality in our society to condemn actions as racist.

That's the very definition of spurious.

Look at the fun responses to that page.

Craig - your a good illustration of the ME generation. You people will stop at nothing to turn doctors into slaves for you own GD benefit. Really nothing different then slave owners of the 20th century. Tell you what, my family is hungry and cold. Why don't you get your but out in the field and pick me some cotton and rice. Maybe if your lucky I'll let you keep a little for yourself. Democrats have controlled congress for the last 5 years. When are you people going to start holding them responsible?

This guy must be charming at parties.

Er…Craig, The nts are the private sector taxpayers. The lazy grasshoppers: Well, let's try the welfare, food stamp, "gubment" union hack Obama voting Democrats. There…That's better. REV Wright

Wish he could have included additional bullet points to his smorgasbord. Maybe something about birth certificates.

Just last week I bought groceries from a white-owned store. That makes me a racist too, for denying a black-owned store my business. Please forgive me Rev. Sharpton. I promise that I will never again do business with white people thereby proving that I'm not a racist. Has it really come to this?Another note, Dr. Cassell is a urologist. Democrats don't need urologists, as proven by their ability to piss all over our freedoms, liberties and the Constitution during Obama's reign of terrible.

Man, I can't keep this up. It is punishingly difficult.

To those who have been asking, Grayson was elected primarily because his opponent (Keller) went back on his promise to self-limit his term(s) in Washington*. Another factor being Grayson's Hahvahd Law degree which brings tears of nostalgia to the New England transplants that now predominate here in Central Florida**.* Anybody happen to know of any Democrat who has ever imposed term-limits on him/herself? Just asking.** Gotta love these Northern retirees (NOT) who come here to Florida for the better weather and we have no state income tax — then all they do is complain about the heat and vote for the very people who will levy new taxes and raise the taxes we already have. Freaking carpetbaggers.

Allusions to elitism AND terms not used since the Civil War? Good show, old sport.

a physician is to be held liable for the assumptions of a politician that is making a second -order philosophical derivation of a political judgment ? How about we shun him for thinking of sex, and rape is sex , so he must be a rapist ? Are people really this stupid ? I quote Mr Hand : " What are you people ? On dope?"

Well, logic certainly got raped here...

Alan stick a sock in it… he can refuse service to whoever he wants. He is speaking out against your Kenyan leader and this miserable health plan that Congress wont EVEN GO ON BECAUSE ITS SO BAD. but its good enough for us ? No no no mm mmm mmm NO NO NO here we go - any excuse to use the race card

Birther.

This radical left lunatic shyster Grayson needs to go down in flames big time. His district does not have the same airheads Pelosi's does. Come on central Florida voters. This guy doesn't represent you in the slightest, unless you're a Bolshevik. Dump this leftist jerk!

Oh, a new vocabulary word there.

OK so the doctor put up a sign at his office. It sounds like he's not denying anyone any care. It's so sad that the health care debate has come down to this. The race card rears its ugly head again. Way to go, Mr. President. Instead of uniting everyone together, you want to tear us apart. We're called the UNITED States, remember?

Haha, the ironings are delicious.

Just one more...

It's not illegal—yet. Once Drs start refusing to see Medicare/Medicaid patients under the new cuts, Obama will find a way to FORCE them to accept it. Welcome to the USSA !

Ok. I've been masochistic enough for today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doctors need to be split up. Profit, and non-Profit.

Profits for the electives, and non-Profits for the actual healthcare.

That's how medicine/healthcare should be split. That way any non-Profits can't claim any business "rights" and should not have a political agenda/bias/stupidity.

It's always about money...

lol

If he actually intends to discriminate against certain people before they've done anything illegal or assaulted him or anything like that (as he clearly does), then he is violating his oath. While he hasn't broken any laws, ideally he wouldn't be able to practice medicine since he's against its purpose. He should have a different job.

[quote name='BigT']:wall:

Why?

However, some patients are assholes. They come in for visits late chronically, don't call to cancel their appointment, seek narcotics and benzos, and have unrealistically high expectations.

I would not fault a plastic surgeon refusing to perform a scar revision on a patient who has axis ii diagnoses and will likely be unhappy with the result.

I would not fault an internist from discharging a patient from his clinic who consistently misses appointments and goes to various ERs and other doctors in an effort to score oxycontin or percocet.

The list goes on...

I don't agree with the urologist making his political stand because I find it tacky and unprofessional, but I don't see anything inappropriate or unethical about it...[/QUOTE]

It is fucking scary that you're trying to become a doctor and have a hope of suceeding.

The fact that you cannot differentiate between the cases you cite above and this urologist is proof to me that you are currently unqualified to be a professional healer. I agree that a professional doctor should have the right to decide that a patient's requested treatment is unnecessary when he bases that decision on medical facts. As to the chronically late patient, that is interfering with the ability of other patients to get timely treatment, so just charge them the fee anyway and make them reschedule, that's my doc's policy and he keeps his office running like a clock.

Both of these cases are intrinsicly different from the case of the wayward urologist. When a doctor arbitrarily decides that he will not treat a patient because they have a certain political, religious, or ideological belief, then that doctor has clearly and unequivocally violated his Hippocratic oath. How would you feel if you had an urgent urologist problem, made an appointment, and then saw this sign on the door. If you had a political job in a small town, it might make you a wee bit nervous.

It still seems to me that we are reading way to much this. All we have to go on is what this doctor has said. He doesn't want to treat people who support obama or new health reform. He also said he wont turn them away. There is little doubt that he is a cry baby throwing a tantrum. Is his policy unprofessional and tacky? Sure it is. But does that make him a racist. Thats a bit of a stretch based on the facts. He will most likely lose a lot of patients because of this (cons will stop seeing him as well) To say that this moron has found a way turn away black people without breaking the law gives him way too much credit. The best part is that these patients have a choice.

Well they ostensibly have a choice - assuming they are able to get transportation to another urologist, they take their insurance, and whatever other complexities are built into going to a different urologist. It looks like there are other urologists nearby, so they're lucky in that regard.

Even then they might get later treatment, etc. so to say that his actions won't do unnecessary harm (and thus go against his oath) seems unjustified.

And that he "won't turn them away" is irrelevant, the act of putting up a sign telling people he doesn't want to treat them is enough to turn them away, he knows that, that's the point. If you don't want to serve black people at your restaurant, you can't put up a sign saying "if you're black, go away" and expect "well I won't turn them away" to be an acceptable excuse - it's still illegal because it serves those ends. And of course a restaurant owner doesn't even have any oath to uphold.

Grayson's position is that the dr.'s policy is discriminatory against people based on race. There is nothing on the sign that mentions race. Political affiliation is not a protected class. I agree that some will chose to go elsewhere because of the sign. But that is their choice. Yeah it will will probably make some patients life a little more inconvenient, but who would want to support this guys clinic after this anyway?

[quote name='BigT']:wall:

Why?

The list goes on...

I don't agree with the urologist making his political stand because I find it tacky and unprofessional, but I don't see anything inappropriate or unethical about it...[/QUOTE]
Simply refuse them the medications, it's that simple. You aren't their dealer. Although with the way that ads for drugs say "tell your doctor you want...." i guess you aren't too far off. That isn't a jab at you, rather drug companies.

[quote name='UncleBob']And you wonder why so many people are fearful of what your type of thinking leads to.

According to this thread, simply becoming a medical doctor means that A.) You should be forced to give up your freedom of speech in regards to politics and B.) You should be forced to give up your freedom of association in regards to whom you want to enter business relationships with.

JJ - With this wonderful line of thinking - why haven't you become a doctor? Or do you prefer to live with the idea that others who have worked hard to become doctors should be forced to be your slave? Just like you believe those who have worked hard should be forced to pay for your medical bills?[/QUOTE]
I haven't become a doctor because i have no interest in medicine. The fact that you (and many others it seems) see a doctor patient relationship as a business relationship i feel is one of the bigger problems with medicine in the US. I'm willing to play that game though, so the next time a doctor prescribes me a medication that doesn't work I'll be expecting a refund from both the doctor and pharmacy. After all, most businesses want their customers to be satisified with their service/product.

[quote name='JolietJake']I haven't become a doctor because i have no interest in medicine. The fact that you (and many others it seems) see a doctor patient relationship as a business relationship i feel is one of the bigger problems with medicine in the US. I'm willing to play that game though, so the next time a doctor prescribes me a medication that doesn't work I'll be expecting a refund from both the doctor and pharmacy. After all, most businesses want their customers to be satisified with their service/product.[/QUOTE]

You can't play the game that way!

[quote name='SpazX']How could there be any kind of relationship other than a business relationship? I don't get it![/QUOTE]

That reminds me. I haven't paid my wife for sex this month. If I'm not careful, I mind end up in arrears.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']That reminds me. I haven't paid my wife for sex this month. If I'm not careful, I mind end up in arrears.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't you rather end up "in her rear"?

[quote name='JolietJake']I haven't become a doctor because i have no interest in medicine. The fact that you (and many others it seems) see a doctor patient relationship as a business relationship i feel is one of the bigger problems with medicine in the US. I'm willing to play that game though, so the next time a doctor prescribes me a medication that doesn't work I'll be expecting a refund from both the doctor and pharmacy. After all, most businesses want their customers to be satisified with their service/product.[/QUOTE]

realizing its a game is your first step to recovery.

[quote name='JolietJake']What is the methadone equivalent for game addiction? Tetris?[/QUOTE]

text adventures

[quote name='The Crotch']Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH, and DENNIS.[/QUOTE]

this reminds me of how much i loved Hunt The Wumpus on my Ti computer.

[quote name='Hippocrates']I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
[/QUOTE]

That 'all' part should apply to people who support Obama, right?

The Hippocratic oath is simply a quaint tradition as an ego boost to over-stressed medical students. I do not worship Apollo and I definitely did not get the opportunity to learn my "art" for free.

Also Hippocrates didn't have to deal with government bureaucracy and third party payors intruding in the practice of medicine.

bread's done
Back