Urologist tells Obama supporters to go elsewhere

epic fail myke.

Back on topic, as a wobbling Obama supporter, let me put myself in the shoes of a Dr. Cassell patient, or at least someone who was referred to him. I go in to the office and I read the sign and as an Obama supporter I get the impression that he will still see me, but only reluctantly. This guy was so angry at Obama supporters he had to put up a sign telling them to go elsewhere.

Do I want this guy to touch my penis? Discuss.

[quote name='IRHari']epic fail myke.

Back on topic, as a wobbling Obama supporter, let me put myself in the shoes of a Dr. Cassell patient, or at least someone who was referred to him. I go in to the office and I read the sign and as an Obama supporter I get the impression that he will still see me, but only reluctantly. This guy was so angry at Obama supporters he had to put up a sign telling them to go elsewhere.

Do I want this guy to touch my penis? Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Let's say the doctor really, really hates those who supports Obama and might actually do something bad to you.

Aren't you glad there's a sign there telling you to go elsewhere?

Would you rather not know how your doctor thinks until you wake up missing your testicles?

[quote name='UncleBob']Let's say the doctor really, really hates those who supports Obama and might actually do something bad to you.

Would you rather not know how your doctor thinks until you wake up missing your testicles?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't miss my testicles. I would welcome my lottery ticket.

[quote name='UncleBob']Let's say the doctor really, really hates those who supports Obama and might actually do something bad to you.

Would you rather not know how your doctor thinks until you wake up missing your testicles?[/QUOTE]

So... your contention is it is good he put up a sign, because he might be deranged? I'm not really sure that's helping your point.

I don't really care how my doctor thinks so long as he still provides me with the best medical care he is able to. The bulk of my last urologist appointment revolved around me peeing in a cup and explaining pain to my doctor, and while the pain of a kidney stone could certainly be compared to the ridiculous political contention in this country, I can't think of a reason my political beliefs would ever come up in a doctor's office. Even if they were to come up and my doctor doesn't agree, it's no reason for him to maim me.

But yes, in this case, I would love for my doctor to have a sign on his door that says something like, "I am one of those assholes who gets way too caught up in politics, takes things personally, and can't reasonably handle someone disagreeing with me." If only they had thought to put this sort of provision into the health care bill...

[quote name='Cantatus']I don't really care how my doctor thinks so long as he still provides me with the best medical care he is able to. The bulk of my last urologist appointment revolved around me peeing in a cup and explaining pain to my doctor, and while the pain of a kidney stone could certainly be compared to the ridiculous political contention in this country, I can't think of a reason my political beliefs would ever come up in a doctor's office. Even if they were to come up and my doctor doesn't agree, it's no reason for him to maim me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Yet, the train of thought of so many people in regards to this subject is that this doctor is intimidating individuals who support Obama by telling them to go elsewhere. The only way he really has to intimidate is to threaten to provide substantial (or harmful) care - thus, they believe this guy *might* be deranged enough to do something to someone who supports Obama.

If you really think your doctor* is capable of this, wouldn't you rather them post a sign?

*PS - Yes, YOUR doctor could be just as against Obamacare. And you don't even know it. And he could be deranged. And he might see you at some kind of Obama rally - or see your Obama bumper sticker on your car.

[quote name='UncleBob']Agreed.

Yet, the train of thought of so many people in regards to this subject is that this doctor is intimidating individuals who support Obama by telling them to go elsewhere. The only way he really has to intimidate is to threaten to provide substantial (or harmful) care - thus, they believe this guy *might* be deranged enough to do something to someone who supports Obama.

If you really think your doctor* is capable of this, wouldn't you rather them post a sign?

*PS - Yes, YOUR doctor could be just as against Obamacare. And you don't even know it. And he could be deranged. And he might see you at some kind of Obama rally - or see your Obama bumper sticker on your car.[/QUOTE]

So will my insurance tell me it's ok and not raise my rates if I hang a sign on my car that says other people should not drive on my roads... and I hit someone?

The sign means absolutely nothing.

Actually, the above question should be N/A because he shouldn't be in that spot to begin with to even contest such a thing. Board of Medicine should be revoking his license.

I wish I was there... I'm not much of a supporter but I'd definately play devil's advocate and see what kind of lawsuit appears.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to sue a doctor who intentionally does something bad to you (regardless if the reason is political or not). Stop trying to turn it into that.

I am saying, if you think there's any chance of that happening, wouldn't you rather know up front than to find out later? What if the doctor was crazy enough to kill you? How much money would you like the doctor's insurance to pay out to you when you're dead?

So Bob, you'd be perfectly comfortable going to a doctor that put a sign up that read, "Crackers need not come by."?

How about this. Maybe someone thinks that Wal-Mart is behind the unraveling of middle America as we know it and puts up a sign that Wal-Mart is the devil and anyone that shops or works there should find somewhere else to patronize. Would you be OK with that? Would you brazenly walk in with your blue blazer and demand service?

[quote name='depascal22']So Bob, you'd be perfectly comfortable going to a doctor that put a sign up that read, "Crackers need not come by."?[/QUOTE]

Yea, because a difference in political views always equates to someone being a racist....

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Yea, because a difference in political views always equates to someone being a racist....[/QUOTE]

Fine, a sign that says "No Christians Allowed" or maybe "No Atheists Allowed" for some here, does that better illustrate the point?

[quote name='depascal22']So Bob, you'd be perfectly comfortable going to a doctor that put a sign up that read, "Crackers need not come by."?

How about this. Maybe someone thinks that Wal-Mart is behind the unraveling of middle America as we know it and puts up a sign that Wal-Mart is the devil and anyone that shops or works there should find somewhere else to patronize. Would you be OK with that? Would you brazenly walk in with your blue blazer and demand service?[/QUOTE]

Whee-haw - it's the 'racism' call again.

As for your shopping situation - depends on the circumstances. But for what it's worth, I most likely wouldn't visit this urologist if I found myself in Florida and had a need to see a urologist.

[quote name='SpazX']Fine, a sign that says "No Christians Allowed" or maybe "No Atheists Allowed" for some here, does that better illustrate the point?[/QUOTE]
Thats another protected class, goober. Political stance is not. God, for a bunch that considers themselves so smart, Obamaniacs sure do infer stupid shit....

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Thats another protected class, goober. Political stance is not. God, for a bunch that considers themselves so smart, Obamaniacs sure do infer stupid shit....[/QUOTE]

What exactly does protected class have to do with it?

[quote name='SpazX']What exactly does protected class have to do with it?[/QUOTE]
Lol. Ok SpazX, back in the 60's a bunch of people got together and decided that it is unfair to discriminate against others on the basis of their race, creed, religion, etc. because these are things that define that person and are so deeply ingrained in their culture. Anyway, you hear someone say "no blacks" or "no christians," you have a federal case on your hands. You hear "You're an idiot for voting for this man," you laugh it off, call that person something to the same effect, and go about your day. They are different categories, and Im surprised that a bleeding heart like yourself would be the one to question the difference...

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Lol. Ok SpazX, back in the 60's a bunch of people got together and decided that it is unfair to discriminate against others on the basis of their race, creed, religion, etc. because these are things that define that person and are so deeply ingrained in their culture. Anyway, you hear someone say "no blacks" or "no christians," you have a federal case on your hands. You hear "You're an idiot for voting for this man," you laugh it off, call that person something to the same effect, and go about your day. They are different categories, and Im surprised that a bleeding heart like yourself would be the one to question the difference...[/QUOTE]

I know what a protected class is, I'm asking how it's relevant. Nobody said he was breaking a law.

[quote name='SpazX']I know what a protected class is, I'm asking how it's relevant. Nobody said he was breaking a law.[/QUOTE]
But you are comparing his political antics to acts that would be in violation of the law and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 dude. I guess I just don't understand your argument when you are comparing his BS circus show (even if I agree with his sentiment) to a major violation of the law.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']But you are comparing his political antics to acts that would be in violation of the law and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 dude. I guess I just don't understand your argument when you are comparing his BS circus show (even if I agree with his sentiment) to a major violation of the law.[/QUOTE]

He's arbitrarily discriminating against certain sick people who need medical care. I don't see how whether or not it's breaking any particular law is relevant. The result is the same whether or not it's a protected class.

[quote name='SpazX']He's arbitrarily discriminating against certain sick people who need medical care. I don't see how whether or not it's breaking any particular law is relevant. The result is the same whether or not it's a protected class.[/QUOTE]
He's not "arbitrarily" doing it, he's specifically saying that he doesn't agree with your view and he is unhappy. He is doing this in a childish way, but it's really not as high tension as you make it seem. First, he is surely not the only doctor in his area (and thanks to those that want to shovel shit at him due to his political stance, you can see that his record as a MD is not the best either). Secondly, when in the course of treatment at a clinic/hospital have your political views been requested? I'm assuming that as long as you aren't sporting your Obama gear and extolling his "merits" while in this man's private practice, that it will go over like any other visit to the doctor. You all are angry because what he is doing is (admittedly) very childish and directed toward someone you idolize, but honestly this is not going to affect any normal citizen any more than seeing someone else's "NoBama" t-shirt...

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']He's not "arbitrarily" doing it, he's specifically saying that he doesn't agree with your view and he is unhappy.[/quote]

No, he's saying he doesn't want to treat anybody who voted for Obama.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']He is doing this in a childish way, but it's really not as high tension as you make it seem. First, he is surely not the only doctor in his area (and thanks to those that want to shovel shit at him due to his political stance, you can see that his record as a MD is not the best either).[/quote]

Which doesn't mean nobody will be done harm by shifting over to another doctor.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Secondly, when in the course of treatment at a clinic/hospital have your political views been requested? I'm assuming that as long as you aren't sporting your Obama gear and extolling his "merits" while in this man's private practice, that it will go over like any other visit to the doctor.[/quote]

How many times does your religion come up? Yet if you put up that sign it would still be discrimination and illegal, whether or not they specifically ask you about it. (insert "but that's illegal!" here, whether or not it's relevant to the point)

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']You all are angry because what he is doing is (admittedly) very childish and directed toward someone you idolize, but honestly this is not going to affect any normal citizen any more than seeing someone else's "NoBama" t-shirt...[/QUOTE]

Any normal citizen wearing a "nobama" shirt isn't a doctor at their office treating patients and specifying that they don't want to treat certain ones. If he wants to do that he shouldn't be in medicine.

[quote name='SpazX']No, he's saying he doesn't want to treat anybody who voted for Obama.
Right...which, correct me if I am mistaken, is not "arbitrary." Funny, I thought that was a synonym for "randomly."

Which doesn't mean nobody will be done harm by shifting over to another doctor.
Doesn't mean that they will be done harm either. Assumptions work both ways. Nice double negative too, btw.

How many times does your religion come up? Yet if you put up that sign it would still be discrimination and illegal, whether or not they specifically ask you about it. (insert "but that's illegal!" here, whether or not it's relevant to the point)
I'm not sure why you keep coming back to this, there is obviously a difference in subject matter and how much more deeply disturbing the sign you are suggesting is than the actual one that was posted. He's upset, not starting a jihad. Let it go.

Any normal citizen wearing a "nobama" shirt isn't a doctor at their office treating patients and specifying that they don't want to treat certain ones. If he wants to do that he shouldn't be in medicine.[/QUOTE]
As much as I keep saying I agree with you about this being the wrong forum for this type of message, it is still just that.... a message. It has been stated plenty of times before that he doesn't intend on refusing treatment to anyone. He may bitch and lecture if you wear your Obamaniac gear, but he's still going to do his job.

Damn this made formatting difficult.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Right...which, correct me if I am mistaken, is not "arbitrary." Funny, I thought that was a synonym for "randomly."[/quote]

You are mistaken, look up the word. "If you voted for X, go somewhere else" is not simply saying you're unhappy would be the main point here, regardless of what definition of arbitrary you want to use.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Doesn't mean that they will be done harm either. Assumptions work both ways. Nice double negative too, btw.[/quote]

I'm going to have to say that, generally, not treating sick patients has a higher chance of causing harm than treating them.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']I'm not sure why you keep coming back to this, there is obviously a difference in subject matter and how much more deeply disturbing the sign you are suggesting is than the actual one that was posted. He's upset, not starting a jihad. Let it go.[/quote]

I keep coming back to it because it's seen as discriminatory even though it doesn't come up in regular conversation as you say politics wouldn't either. Yet "just don't say anything" isn't an excuse in that case, is it?

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']As much as I keep saying I agree with you about this being the wrong forum for this type of message, it is still just that.... a message. It has been stated plenty of times before that he doesn't intend on refusing treatment to anyone. He may bitch and lecture if you wear your Obamaniac gear, but he's still going to do his job.[/QUOTE]

He puts up a sign saying that you should go somewhere else, but that doesn't mean he intends not to treat people. Yes, of course, that makes perfect sense, I don't see why I don't accept that.

It's not even a message of "I don't agree with you" since that's not what the sign says and it's not "he may bitch and lecture if you wear your 'obamaniac' gear" since he could do that without a sign telling you to go away.

So what exactly is the intention of the sign, if it's not what the sign says? The dude is clearly an idiot, but I trust he has the capacity to write what he means.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']As much as I keep saying I agree with you about this being the wrong forum for this type of message, it is still just that.... a message. It has been stated plenty of times before that he doesn't intend on refusing treatment to anyone. He may bitch and lecture if you wear your Obamaniac gear, but he's still going to do his job.[/QUOTE]

What kind of job do you have?

While on the job does your employer let you wear anything you want, even if others may find it controversial or offensive?

I think we need to remember that doctors are not simply independent businessmen. They have been given special responsibilities by the state, and as such I believe the people can and should hold them to a reasonable standard of professionalism.

I also agree with you that the formatting is getting out of hand. Look, I have to work and you are going to keep citing possibilities and technicalities as facts to try to refute what I am saying, so I'll just stop. The dude, everyone can agree, is an idiot. I see it as someone who is pissed off who used an ill advised method to dispell his rage at the passing of this bill, and you think we need a whole other "1964" movement to protect people from venting their political angst. I knew we wouldn't agree on the politics of the bill (which is fine, don't get me wrong), so I wasn't trying for any of that and neither were you (and that is a first from what I've seen from this and other political threads and I appreciate that) but I just thought we could both see that this is nothing more than a rant on a wall. I was apparently wrong.

What kind of job do you have?

While on the job does your employer let you wear anything you want, even if others may find it controversial or offensive?

I think we need to remember that doctors are not simply independent businessmen. They have been given special responsibilities by the state, and as such I believe the people can and should hold them to a reasonable standard of professionalism.

Again, this is stupid and childish what this doctor did. My only point is that some people like to skew this as "OMGWTFBBQ, this guy is a racist bigot and should be shot!" when it is just a sign. People do stupid things, just stop reaching to make this something more than just a sign that will most likely be taken down one he takes his BP meds and calms down.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']I see it as someone who is pissed off who used an ill advised method to dispell his rage at the passing of this bill, and you think we need a whole other "1964" movement to protect people from venting their political angst.[/quote]

I do not.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']I knew we wouldn't agree on the politics of the bill (which is fine, don't get me wrong), so I wasn't trying for any of that and neither were you (and that is a first from what I've seen from this and other political threads and I appreciate that) but I just thought we could both see that this is nothing more than a rant on a wall. I was apparently wrong.[/QUOTE]

Rants on walls have contexts and some matter more than others, obviously. I don't think he should go to prison as he hasn't broken any laws, but I don't think his actions have no effects on people who need a doctor and hence his rant amounts to more than a random blog. A doctor putting up a sign saying they don't want to treat patients based on some arbitrary factor is reprehensible and shouldn't be tolerated, dismissed, and sure as hell shouldn't be celebrated.

[quote name='SpazX']I do not.

Rants on walls have contexts and some matter more than others, obviously. I don't think he should go to prison as he hasn't broken any laws, but I don't think his actions have no effects on people who need a doctor and hence his rant amounts to more than a random blog. A doctor putting up a sign saying they don't want to treat patients based on some arbitrary factor is reprehensible and shouldn't be tolerated, dismissed, and sure as hell shouldn't be celebrated.[/QUOTE]
True, I completely agree. But I do not think that this is anywhere close to the same effect as saying "No crackers, christians, or atheists allowed," that's all I've been trying to say.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Again, this is stupid and childish what this doctor did. My only point is that some people like to skew this as "OMGWTFBBQ, this guy is a racist bigot and should be shot!" when it is just a sign. People do stupid things, just stop reaching to make this something more than just a sign that will most likely be taken down one he takes his BP meds and calms down.[/QUOTE]

Funny you express it that way - this guy is the living breathing definition of a bigot. This guy is so intolerant of opinions other then his own that he will not heal anyone who has a different political view.

Racist? I don't know one way or another but it wouldn't surprise me.

As for punishment, I wouldn't be adverse to a hefty fine, and if he refused to take the sign down, medical disbarment.

[quote name='camoor']Funny you express it that way - this guy is the living breathing definition of a bigot. This guy is so intolerant of opinions other then his own that he will not heal anyone who has a different political view.

Racist? I don't know one way or another but it wouldn't surprise me.

As for punishment, I wouldn't be adverse to a hefty fine, and if he refused to take the sign down, medical disbarment.[/QUOTE]
See? This is what I'm talking about. You read too much into his actions. He is trying (stupidly) to make a political statement.

"I'm not turning anybody away, that would be unethical," he told the Sentinel. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it." -Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/jack-cassell-doctor-refus_n_523076.html)

That's not refusal of care and not bigotry. Jesus Christ, he is making a statement and since you don't agree with it you are amplifying it one-hundred fold.... I'm fine with political differences, but damn dude, everyone just quit trying to make this into some conspiracy and let it die already.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']See? This is what I'm talking about. You read too much into his actions. He is trying (stupidly) to make a political statement.

"I'm not turning anybody away, that would be unethical," he told the Sentinel. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it." -Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/02/jack-cassell-doctor-refus_n_523076.html)

That's not refusal of care and not bigotry. Jesus Christ, he is making a statement and since you don't agree with it you are amplifying it one-hundred fold.... I'm fine with political differences, but damn dude, everyone just quit trying to make this into some conspiracy and let it die already.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jack Cassell']If you voted for Obama ... seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your health care begin right now, not in four years.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the winking smiley.

[quote name='camoor']I don't see the winking smiley.[/QUOTE]
I don't see the requirement to show your history of campaign finance contributions at the door either....hmmm. I am just seriously confused how (and why) some people are taking this so seriously. If you are supposing that this guy thinks this should be a real requirement (instead of the obvious benign political statement that it is), what are the methods of enforcement?

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']I don't see the requirement to show your history of campaign finance contributions at the door either....hmmm. I am just seriously confused how (and why) some people are taking this so seriously. If you are supposing that this guy thinks this should be a real requirement (instead of the obvious benign political statement that it is), what are the methods of enforcement?[/QUOTE]

An obviously benign political statement is "Vote" or "I

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to sue a doctor who intentionally does something bad to you (regardless if the reason is political or not). Stop trying to turn it into that.

I am saying, if you think there's any chance of that happening, wouldn't you rather know up front than to find out later? What if the doctor was crazy enough to kill you? How much money would you like the doctor's insurance to pay out to you when you're dead?[/QUOTE]

Actually it might be a good thing he puts out a sign, because the real crazies hide till it's too late.

But I think anyone that wants to politicize their healthcaring, they should gtfo out of healthcare.

Honestly again, the Florida's Board of Medicine should kick this guy to the curb for acting unprofessional.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Sure.

Only... On a non-emergency basis (and if, for the thousandth time, he were ACTUALLY going to deny care), why would this be illegal? I'm not saying it's not, I'm just asking you to cite something that indicates it would.

Also, why would a political person's sticker (not slogan or mud-slinging quote, just their name) be offensive? That is way beyond the already ridiculous level of PC that people are expected to maintain in this FREE country. Offensive? I don't know about that one...

How is telling people that they can't say what they want (when he actually denies care to someone MAYBE you could have a leg to stand on, theoretically) not totalitarianism again? It's funny how the same liberal mindset that says "the government should let me smoke/ingest whatever drugs I want and marry whoever I want" then says something equaling "You shouldn't be allowed to speak your mind in a public forum" when it's directed at your boy B. Hussein.[/QUOTE]

I do not know whether Cassell is acting illegally. I do know he is acting unprofessionally and that this will be a matter of consideration in his license re-registration.

I'm a realist, I realize that due to the buddy system a doctor usually has to screw up on an epic scale to get his or her license revoked. However this guy's stunt reminds me of something that Jack Thompson might do. If Cassell keeps it up he may find himself doing freelance work in Tijuana (or working as a medical correspondent on Fox news)

PS nice strawman about the drugs and marriage.

I'm a realist, I realize that due to the buddy system a doctor usually has to screw up on an epic scale to get his or her license revoked. However this guy's stunt reminds me of something that Jack Thompson might do. If Cassell keeps it up he may find himself doing freelance work in Tijuana (or working as a medical correspondent on Fox news)

PS nice strawman about the drugs and marriage.

I don't know about that dude. I mean, Jack Thompson inserted pictures of graphic gay sex acts into a legal briefing, and, as a result, those images are now part of a public file and can be viewed by anyone at any time.

I don't know WHAT Cassell could possibly do to be on par with that.

[quote name='IRHari']I don't know about that dude. I mean, Jack Thompson inserted pictures of graphic gay sex acts into a legal briefing, and, as a result, those images are now part of a public file and can be viewed by anyone at any time.

I don't know WHAT Cassell could possibly do to be on par with that.[/QUOTE]

Let's give the doc some time. Florida is a ridiculous place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d54Ok6Uz_A

Haha, that was pretty good. I don't know the context of that clip, but I love how he just keeps walking and doesn't even look back. Does his car explode in every episode? It just looks like SSDD to him...

PS- I wasn't using a strawman, just drawing a comparison. I am actually one of those elusive Repubs that doesn't give a shit what anyone does in their personal lives. I just thought it was worth noting how defensive liberals get about someone's freedoms (like freedom of speech or freedom of assembly, i.e.- Tea Parties) when they are exercised against BHO. I think drawing a link between you inferring that this guy shouldn't be able to exercise his 1st amendment rights and totalitarianism was enough of a refutal of your stance. The drugs and marriage "straw man" was just icing on the top. Glad thats cleared up.

[quote name='xycury']But I think anyone that wants to politicize their healthcaring, they should gtfo out of healthcare.[/QUOTE]

I think anyone that wants to politicize healthcare should gtfo of politics.

[quote name='UncleBob']I think anyone that wants to politicize healthcare should gtfo of politics.[/QUOTE]

And the people who think health is a privilege instead of a right?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']And the people who think health is a privilege instead of a right?[/QUOTE]

........are cool?

[quote name='IRHari']I think obama is a cool guy, eh redistributes the wealth and doesnt afraid of ANYTHING[/QUOTE]
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like?

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']Haha, that was pretty good. I don't know the context of that clip, but I love how he just keeps walking and doesn't even look back. Does his car explode in every episode? It just looks like SSDD to him...

PS- I wasn't using a strawman, just drawing a comparison. I am actually one of those elusive Repubs that doesn't give a shit what anyone does in their personal lives. I just thought it was worth noting how defensive liberals get about someone's freedoms (like freedom of speech or freedom of assembly, i.e.- Tea Parties) when they are exercised against BHO. I think drawing a link between you inferring that this guy shouldn't be able to exercise his 1st amendment rights and totalitarianism was enough of a refutal of your stance. The drugs and marriage "straw man" was just icing on the top. Glad thats cleared up.[/QUOTE]

Did you also notice how he took his sunglasses off just so he could put them back on as the car exploded. :cool:

I really don't think your comment about liberals is fair. I know of noone saying that tea baggers shouldn't be allowed to peacably protest. And lately I haven't seen the "protest zones" that Dubya used to set up to physically isolate citizens who disagreed with his policy.

Sure we may laugh at the idiots who come to my city screaming about nonsense like the Czars that Obama is appointing, as if it's part of a Communist plot. But can you blame us?

It also makes the news when a RNC slide portraying Barack as the Joker is leaked, because some Americans still expect a sense of decorum from elected officials. I must admit that Steele is doing a great job of lowering the bar in this respect.

And that brings me back to this case. Doctor is not a normal job. You need a license from the state. The state is attempting to ensure health care is present in all localities. Obviously if you start making that difficult for a portion of the patients in your locality you are interfering with the state's intentions (and some would say, the state's duties). The licensing board should and in this case will take that into account.

And lets come clean about the sign. The sign was crystal clear about turning away Obama voters. This "haha it was a joke I didn't mean it" defense is about as weak as they come. We have the guy dead-to-rights in his own writing, with photographic evidence and his own admission that he in fact posted this on his door. This is no veiled threat, there is no indirection, this is about as cut-and-dry as it gets.

If this ends up being treated as a non-issue expect more cases of segregated health care based on political preference. Because hey, we all know that jumping through health insurance industry hoops and finding a doc whose expenses are covered by your health insurance wasn't fun enough, why not throw your voting history into the mix.

I agree with a lot of what you said, the sign was admittedly put up to deter Obama voters from seeking healthcare there. But lets be clear... Have you ever just walked into a urologist's office? Ever been rushed to one in an emergency? No. Matter of fact, you need a referral to see a specialist no matter what their area is. My point is, while this is ignorant and very childish (coming from someone who probably has similar views about Obama and his HC bill to boot) it probably isn't very accessible to any situations that have been framed by those seeking his head. It was ill-advised and it should be taken down, but:

A) He won't get the chance to turn anyone away, supposing that his words are more than just a political statement of course, because they probably aren't just wandering in (they have had to get a referral and probably know who he is especially now that this is getting media coverage)

B) I'm guessing (and I really mean that, let me know if you find out otherwise) that at least 90% of people who go to see a urologist are older people. Older people + small town = most likely a town full of people who aren't that opposed to his sign.

I know that I'm sort of reaching with those suppositions, but I just want to emphasize one more time that I agree about the sign being ridiculous and unprofessional, but I sincerely don't think this particular goober's impact on those in need of urologic care is, or will ever be, as profound as some people make it seem.

bread's done
Back