Used or New: Poll

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I saw a thread on GameTZ.com and thought I'd bring it over here because it seemed like a good poll idea. Which of the following is your PRIMARY game purchase preference?

Brand New - Full $60 retail
New, Reduced - On sale new games
Used - Self-explanatory. eg. Gamestop, used online, Craigslist, etc. Just so long as it's pre-played by other people
Used, Reduced - Still used, but price cut. eg. Gamestop cuts price of used Black Ops from $54.99 to $39.99, or other used sales

Last edited by a moderator:
95% of the time I only buy games that I'm actually excited for, in which case I often want them day one. I enjoy spending MSRP for great games that deserve it.

Certain games I will buy Day 1 or preorder.

But most of the time I buy my games used or reduced price. Most used games especially from Amazon are in great shape.

I will admit that I buy every COD first day (they may not be the greatest games anymore but spending $50-60 for an entire year of gameplay is worth it to me.

I'd say that about 95% of the games I buy are used. I only buy games new if they are priced fantastically or pre-order games if they are something I can't wait to get my hands on.

Plus, I'm a Gamestop Power Up Rewards PRO member, so I get more points for buying used.

I buy new if it's something I want to play at launch--online games, something I've been waiting for.

Most things I'll wait and grab from Goozex. Very, very few games do I keep after I'm done playing them, so I don't care that much about condition etc. since I'm not a collector.

I only buy at MSRP if it's something I've really wanted to play. I've made at least a few mistakes recently with that(Transformers: War For Cybertron being one of them), but I bought the games using cheap credit at Gamestop so I didn't really mind at the time.

Otherwise I wait til stuff goes on clearance and just buy it for 75% off or so.

All new, unless it's something that I can't get sealed for a reasonable price. I only have 4 or 5 used games in my collection of a couple hundred.

But I'm great with waiting a while to buy until the price dips.

I hate buying used games unless absolutely necessary. I do buy games at launch that I really want (The last one was WoW: Cataclysm CE, the next is Dragon Age 2: SE), but I generally wait for a price drop.

I've only bought 5 used games or so, and my collection is in the hundreds.

And all you people who buy used, I hope you die in a fire. At Gamestop.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I hate buying used games unless absolutely necessary. I do buy games at launch that I really want (The last one was WoW: Cataclysm CE, the next is Dragon Age 2: SE), but I generally wait for a price drop.

And all you people who buy used, I hope you die in a fire. At Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

What's the problem with buying used? More often than not, they are in quite good condition, complete, and much cheaper.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']What's the problem with buying used? More often than not, they are in quite good condition, complete, and much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Because the money you spend goes to Gamestop instead of the developers that made your game.

But as the consumer, that's not really our problem. Sure, it sucks for the devs, but Gamestop provides the product for a lower cost, so I almost always go that route. I could always use a spare few bucks that would have gone toward a game I was going to get anyway.

I buy a handful of games at launch (MSRP), but the vast majority of games I play are used copies purchased from amazon, gohasting, Blockbuster or GS. When I use to collect, I only bought new at a discounted price (ie target or kmart clearance).

Definitely new, how psyched I am for it depends it I pay full or wait for a sale or drop. Used is typically a last resort or a way to get a game cheap that's hard to find new.

I try to wait for a big price drop instead of buying used.

I only buy used unless it's really hard to find and older rare game new.

I buy many games new day 1 too.

I will buy used off of eBay if I feel I am getting a significant deal. Otherwise I wait until a game hits $20 or less and buy new which is probably 75% of the time. I'll never buy a used game at GameStop for $5 less than retail.

I prefer new at reduced prices. Rarely do I buy day one unless it's some sort of limited edition I want. I'll buy used but mostly for games I don't care about and it has to be really really cheap.

I bought all of my first party Wii games brand new (near release date), but almost all others I'll try to find new (at a discount) or used.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I hate buying used games unless absolutely necessary. I do buy games at launch that I really want (The last one was WoW: Cataclysm CE, the next is Dragon Age 2: SE), but I generally wait for a price drop.

And all you people who buy used, I hope you die in a fire. At Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
:roll: When games release nowadays and need a patch day one to fix X number of glitches I'm less inclined to want to support the developers who release such games.

So excuse me if it hurts the developers, but if they're making glitchfests that need to be patched 20 times to work right otherwise they crash and freeze, then they get NONE of my money and I'd rather give it to GS or a local used shop. Albeit there have been some glitches in some games that were pretty fun to exploit, like the swingset glitch in GTA IV and GTA IV: Episodes From Liberty City, but the ones that're game crashers are not fun in the least and those devs need to go out of business if they don't know how to program a game by now.

Depends who meets my price first. I used to spend a lot on used games but recently almost everything has been new because of price drops. I never pay full retail price, there's always a bonus promotion or something. It's worthwhile to wait. Not opposed to used, a game is a game if it's cheap enough and wanted for the collection.

Also taking into consideration stickers on used games are annoying so they must be cheaper. They must be complete so once in a while it's worth $5 more for a complete copy. And finally there's stuff like Steam games, CoD, or sports games I won't pay any price for. That crap can stay unsold.

It really depends on the game and how much I want to play it. There's maybe 3 or 4 games a year I want to buy on release and willing to pay full price for. Most the time I'll wait a few days and just rent it from Gamefly.

But when it comes to buying used, Gamefly was also my best friend last year. Grabbing games like Alan Wake, Singularity, Lost Planet 2, etc. for $8 - $12 each.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Because the money you spend goes to Gamestop instead of the developers that made your game.[/QUOTE]
Are you trolling?

Gamestop isn't the only used retailer.
The buy from gamestop when they have B2G1F.

But atleast 75% of my games I've bought used are from Amazon, and every single disc gas been immaculate and many even still had the promo card un-used inside

I buy new the vast majority of the time. The only exceptions are when the publisher prints too few copies (Nintendo and Picross DS) or the used price is much cheaper than a new copy (Elite Beat Agents for $12 used versus $30 new). I tend to buy used from Gamefly most often since they have much better used prices most of the time, especially with my $5 coupon added in.

Honestly, I have a buy point for nearly every game I get so if it reaches that point (whether it be new or used) I'll get it long as it works. THOUGH I prefer it be new if anything, simply for peace of mind and so when I open it up I can literally bury my nose in it and get the new game smell.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:roll: When games release nowadays and need a patch day one to fix X number of glitches I'm less inclined to want to support the developers who release such games.

So excuse me if it hurts the developers, but if they're making glitchfests that need to be patched 20 times to work right otherwise they crash and freeze, then they get NONE of my money and I'd rather give it to GS or a local used shop. Albeit there have been some glitches in some games that were pretty fun to exploit, like the swingset glitch in GTA IV and GTA IV: Episodes From Liberty City, but the ones that're game crashers are not fun in the least and those devs need to go out of business if they don't know how to program a game by now.[/QUOTE]

Then why buy the games at all? Wait for the pie in the sky "perfect" game that never has problems, ever.

Oh wait, they don't exist.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']Are you trolling?

Gamestop isn't the only used retailer.
The buy from gamestop when they have B2G1F.

But atleast 75% of my games I've bought used are from Amazon, and every single disc gas been immaculate and many even still had the promo card un-used inside[/QUOTE]

Gamestop is the biggest used game reseller. I suppose "the store" would be more correct, but let's not kid ourselves, most people buy from that god forsaken place.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Then why buy the games at all? Wait for the pie in the sky "perfect" game that never has problems, ever.

Oh wait, they don't exist.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying I want an absolutely perfect game, but when a big game(Fallout: New Vegas, for example) is released glitchy and has to be immediately patched or otherwise people can't play it without freezing/glitching issues, then that just makes me want to buy used copies of games since buying new will only reward those code monkeys who can't program to save their lives.

But if you enjoy playing glitchfests AND paying MSRP to do so, then that's your thing and more power to you.

I like to make sure the developers get, you know, PAID for all their hard work. Therefore any and all of my purchases are only made brand new and NEVER used. Buying used is an insult and just gives money to those undeserving (Gamestop).

I don't support gamestop at all. Only used games I get are from Goozex or other places where I'm getting it from another user.

I like to support developers who make great games, so I'll buy things like that new at launch most of the time. But I'm not that into games anymore, and thus there are only 2 or 3 or so a year that I think are good enough to warrant spending money on at launch. The other 2 or 3 games I get a year I'll get off Goozex or buy new when they're on sale for $30 or less etc.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Because the money you spend goes to Gamestop instead of the developers that made your game.[/QUOTE]

no offense but this is a laughable post. Think about it, will there still be those many new copies sold at MSRP at launch if people know there's no way to sell/trade game once they are done with it or just dont like it? Wouldn't that hurt the developer? Personally I don't like GS but there's a reason why used game market exists. Actually I don't think the developers care too much because they understand it is part of the business.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nogib']I like to make sure the developers get, you know, PAID for all their hard work. Therefore any and all of my purchases are only made brand new and NEVER used. Buying used is an insult and just gives money to those undeserving (Gamestop).[/QUOTE]

GS is not a great place to shop, but apparently your comments point to the whole used game market.

It's one thing to support the developers by buying new (and I completely understand and support), it's another thing to assume the used game retailors are the only ones beneficial from used game transactions. Stores/websites like gamestop, gohastings, Amazon WarehouseDeals etc exist because there's huge demand from gamers who want to sell or trade the games they don't want anymore. I buy some games at MSRP or at launch and part of reason is that I know I can trade them to amazon for $35~40 if I don't like them. If you completely remove that option, it will lead to a big hit to new game sale as well.

People also seem to forget that Gamestop and other used retailers also sell games brand new - factory sealed. Used game sales goes into Gamestop's pocket, but new sales there don't necessarily.

[quote name='allen9917']no offense but this is a laughable post. Think about it, will there still be those many new copies sold at MSRP at launch if people know there's no way to sell/trade game once they are done with it or just dont like it? Wouldn't that hurt the developer? Personally I don't like GS but there's a reason why used game market exists. Actually I don't think the developers care too much because they understand it is part of the business.[/QUOTE]

I suppose Steam doesn't sell anything at MSRP then.

Oh wait...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I suppose Steam doesn't sell anything at MSRP then.

Oh wait...[/QUOTE]

So now you are saying PC games is the way to go. Here are two questions for you:

1. How many PC game studios can you name besides Blizzard who are doing well? I mean the ones who focus on PC games not the major console publishers just provide PC version of their console games as a sidekick.

2. Yes Steam has lot of PC games at MSRP. Is Steam known for people rushing there downloading games at launch or it is known for offering game download with HUGE discount? Enough said.

Again we all wish developers publishing good games get the money they deserve, but to say buying used is doing some evil things is just absurd and naive.

I am all about the used games. If I can get them used at a discount even better.

If game devs wanted my money they would make better games for cheaper.

I understand all the hate for gamestop and the used industry, it is what other media sites tell you to do (even though they play some for free)...so you do it. Not realizing that gaming is a business, media sites are businesses.

[quote name='allen9917']no offense but this is a laughable post. Think about it, will there still be those many new copies sold at MSRP at launch if people know there's no way to sell/trade game once they are done with it or just dont like it? Wouldn't that hurt the developer? Personally I don't like GS but there's a reason why used game market exists. Actually I don't think the developers care too much because they understand it is part of the business.[/QUOTE]
Of course they care about people selling their games back to places like GameStop. Otherwise there wouldn't be things like online passes and strategies for DLC/Update releases games like Burnout Paradise and Bad Company 2 used to try to keep their customers interested in the game so that they won't trade the game in.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Of course they care about people selling their games back to places like GameStop. Otherwise there wouldn't be things like online passes and strategies for DLC/Update releases games like Burnout Paradise and Bad Company 2 used to try to keep their customers interested in the game so that they won't trade the game in.[/QUOTE]

I agree they definately care. Or else we would not be seeing online MP in every game.

I think that the bigger deal, is that game studies think that all of gamestop's sales would be a 1-for-1 if gamestop had not existed.

Secondly, the notion that developers should be paid twice for one product.

[quote name='allen9917']2. Yes Steam has lot of PC games at MSRP. Is Steam known for people rushing there downloading games at launch or it is known for offering game download with HUGE discount? Enough said.[/QUOTE]

The best selling game on Steam last year was Call of Duty: Black Ops.

And I would say Valve is doing quite well.

I generally buy whatever is the cheapest at the time I want to buy the game, doesn't matter to me whether it is new or used.

[quote name='YourHero']I agree they definately care. Or else we would not be seeing online MP in every game.

I think that the bigger deal, is that game studies think that all of gamestop's sales would be a 1-for-1 if gamestop had not existed.

Secondly, the notion that developers should be paid twice for one product.[/QUOTE]
They'd rather sell 2 new copies to two people than have one buy a new copy, sell it back to GameStop, and the second person buys that copy. They'd never get a 1:1 conversion, but they'll try to encourage people to buy new whenever possible. That's why there's a lot of games with online activation and DLC codes in the box to persuade people away from buying used versions of games.

It's not like GameStop doesn't facilitate that habit by limiting the new copies that they get in greatly a few weeks after launch so that you're pretty much forced to buy used if you want a specific title. Only the best-selling games will continue to be plentiful in stock, so they cut as many corners as they can to get people to buy their used games.

I almost always buy new games and wait until they go on clearance. The only time I will buy used is an older game I can't find new at a reasonable price or an import game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They'd rather sell 2 new copies to two people than have one buy a new copy, sell it back to GameStop, and the second person buys that copy. They'd never get a 1:1 conversion, but they'll try to encourage people to buy new whenever possible. That's why there's a lot of games with online activation and DLC codes in the box to persuade people away from buying used versions of games.

It's not like GameStop doesn't facilitate that habit by limiting the new copies that they get in greatly a few weeks after launch so that you're pretty much forced to buy used if you want a specific title. Only the best-selling games will continue to be plentiful in stock, so they cut as many corners as they can to get people to buy their used games.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but devs do the same. They parse out content on the disk to be sold at a later time regardless of purchase type. Street Fighter 4 costumes is an example.

The people who get really heated, dont realize that this is a business, period. From the people who make games to the stores that sell them and all the previews/reviews in between. It is hard for me as a consumer to take the plight of the devs and studies seriously when they only seem to take actions that are intended to stop gamestop, but step on gamers to get there.

ALWAYS new, try to preorder the stuff I want to support the publisher. Stuff I sort of want, I buy reduced price. ONLY buy used if I don't want a GH packaging or if I have a hard time finding a game.

bread's done
Back