Usergroup/Forum for established members.

it also gives a reason for people to post more, and with more thought so thay can possibly et into the club. that would make this a whole better place w/ more deals and all. i already try to help people who ask, but not everyone is generous with their time. this could make the forums a whole better place

[quote name='icemanjmw13'][quote name='CheapyD']Maybe one already exists and you don't know about it. ;)
J/k
Not a bad idea. ill think about it.
If I do decide to do something like this, chances are it will be by invitation only and users wouldnt gain access automatically by reaching a specific milestone.[/quote]
This is the kind of thing that would make me stop coming here. Then instead of seeing random flames in posts, you would see "elite" people constantly reminding others of their greatness.[/quote]

No, I think that wouldn't happen, as you'd make membership in that board contingent on not doing that. CheapyD controls all of the access rights for the site, and all it would take is one PM to CheapyD about a person doing that to have thier access rights removed. The second anyone acts like a eltist fool and begins bragging about that, they are cast out.

I think it would be a good idea, even if I were never invited. It helps to reward those who are positive the community, and prevents the loss of people that are good contributors, helpful, and overall beneficial to the boards.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='CheapyD']Maybe one already exists and you don't know about it. ;)
J/k
Not a bad idea. ill think about it.
If I do decide to do something like this, chances are it will be by invitation only and users wouldnt gain access automatically by reaching a specific milestone.[/quote]

That's the best idea of all. Let CheapyD handle it, and base it on quality, not quantities.

Of course, with a fight club-eque rule.

The first rule of the CAGgroup is that you don't talk about the CAGgroup.
:)
Tie in a punishment scheme, for example: bragging about membership is immediate grounds for expulsion from the group, inciting "class wars" is as well.[/quote]

Yeah, I kinda like that idea...an invite-only club, Fight Club style...talking about it earns you the boot from it. That way, regardless of whether you're a noob or an old veteran, you're still in if you're invited.

I still don't like the deal-hoarding aspect people are bringing up. My vote is for social only.

I think by making it invite-only, and by making it just a social forum, that will eliminate a lot of the "segregation" stigma. That way everyone still gets what they want, which is primarily the deals, but there's still a fun social reward to be earned.

Happy 4000, WSB. I like the invite idea, but it depends just how membership is determined. Does senority play a role? Deal finding history? Or is it generally just not being an asshole?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Or is it generally just not being an asshole?[/quote]

Let's hope that's a requirement.

Thanks, sblymnl!

How about a bit more arbitrary? Like, CheapyD or the usergroup leader picks a few people to start, and allows them each to invite one person. Whomever they want. Then let it grow from there.

Just a thought.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Thanks, sblymnl!

How about a bit more arbitrary? Like, CheapyD or the usergroup leader picks a few people to start, and allows them each to invite one person. Whomever they want. Then let it grow from there.

Just a thought.[/quote]

Oh...just great...another conga line :)

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Thanks, sblymnl!

Just a thought.[/quote]

Oh...just great...another conga line :)[/quote]
I think that letting anyone besides Cheapy choose wouldn't be a good idea.

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Thanks, sblymnl!

Just a thought.[/quote]

Only you don't get any free shit, and you have to listen to everyone else bitch about it, post about it in the wrong forums, then start their own conga forum. :twisted:

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Thanks, sblymnl!

Just a thought.[/quote]

I think that letting anyone besides Cheapy choose wouldn't be a good idea.[/quote]

Yeah, but the object isn't to turn this into a huge project to dump into CheapyD's lap. The more suggestions we come up with that makes it easier and less hands-on for him, the better it is for all of us.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Thanks, sblymnl!

Just a thought.[/quote]

I think that letting anyone besides Cheapy choose wouldn't be a good idea.[/quote]

Yeah, but the object isn't to turn this into a huge project to dump into CheapyD's lap. The more suggestions we come up with that makes it easier and less hands-on for him, the better it is for all of us.[/quote]

a couple of us mods could choose people.

Good idea WSB to keep the workload off of CheapyD. I don't like the idea of every member of the "forum" being able to invite someone because really they could give it to some random person who is a dick. But then who would be the one to hand out invites?

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Thanks, sblymnl!

Just a thought.[/quote]

Yeah, but the object isn't to turn this into a huge project to dump into CheapyD's lap. The more suggestions we come up with that makes it easier and less hands-on for him, the better it is for all of us.[/quote]

a couple of us mods could choose people.[/quote]

Well, there goes MY shot of getting into it! ;)

cheapy --

the idea that there could be a forum that has deals in it to which not everyone has access strikes me as extremely wrong (even if you call it a social group, my guess is some deals will only make their way there)

my suggestion if you want to do something like this: make a forum that has restricted posting rights (whatever criterion you want -- invitation, inbreeding, size of johnson, whatever) but allow the posts of that forum to be read by everyone

that would solve the deal hiding aspects which i would find extremely troubling

As far as the deals go....i figure deals that we (they...whatever) find will get posted as normal in the deals threads...no different.

[quote name='andrew333']cheapy --

the idea that there could be a forum that has deals in it to which not everyone has access strikes me as extremely wrong (even if you call it a social group, my guess is some deals will only make their way there)

my suggestion if you want to do something like this: make a forum that has restricted posting rights (whatever criterion you want -- invitation, inbreeding, size of johnson, whatever) but allow the posts of that forum to be read by everyone

that would solve the deal hiding aspects which i would find extremely troubling[/quote]

How would anyone be able to hide deals?

Don't you think mods would move them?

[quote name='andrew333']cheapy --

that would solve the deal hiding aspects which i would find extremely troubling[/quote]

I wouldn't be opposed to that. What are the consequences though? A problem I see popping up is someone sees something they want to discuss, and start a parallel thread in one of the full-access forums, and then the members of the special forum carry the discussion out there as well. Might get out of hand. I dunno.

As long as I'm invited to hang out with the "established" users I'm all for it.

If I'm not invited this is the worst idea I've ever heard. . .

Happy Thanksgiving, by the way.

[quote name='zewone']Good idea WSB to keep the workload off of CheapyD. I don't like the idea of every member of the "forum" being able to invite someone because really they could give it to some random person who is a dick. But then who would be the one to hand out invites?[/quote]Then that dick would get banned from the club. :)

I think mods that aren't biased towards users (since I know Casey hates me :cry: ) are needed along with mods like Casey that know everybody. :)

And why do you guys want to take all of the work on Cheapy and dump it on the mods? That really doesn't seem fair to them unless they actually want to pick the users that are allowed. It would take alot of work, and alot of flames to the mods (for people that weren't picked but really want in) so it doesn't seem at all fair.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='andrew333']cheapy --

I wouldn't be opposed to that. What are the consequences though? A problem I see popping up is someone sees something they want to discuss, and start a parallel thread in one of the full-access forums, and then the members of the special forum carry the discussion out there as well. Might get out of hand. I dunno.[/quote]I don't think that all users should be able to see this. Maybe we could do special steps to this. Such as if you're established well enough, you can be able to post in the forum, if you're not quite where the other guys are, you can view the posts but not be able to reply, and then the n00bs and assholes get nothing. :) That's my suggestion.

[quote name='sj41']And why do you guys want to take all of the work on Cheapy and dump it on the mods? That really doesn't seem fair to them unless they actually want to pick the users that are allowed. It would take alot of work, and alot of flames to the mods (for people that weren't picked but really want in) so it doesn't seem at all fair.[/quote]

Distribute the work of one over many? Of course, mods aren't forced to do anything. Heck, we already know how few of them do anything at all. :razz:

There's an extremely fine line here, and I really hope a lot of thought goes into it before anything is implemented.

hi guys,

happy thanksgiving by the way

to respond to the points brough up by my suggestion:

would the deals be posted as normal --
while i do suspect that deals would be posted as they normally would, i definitely could see deal posts interwoven with social conversation posts slipping through the cracks

wouldn't the mods just move them --
i would hope so but then again isn't the reason this idea is being considered is that the mods are having trouble controlling unsavory elements in the forums

i appreciate the idea of the special group, i would like to think that my time served, contributions over the time i have been a member, the trades i have made with other cag members would be enough to get me access to the group but i also know if i were on the outside looking in and felt that i was missing out on deals i would be upset

concern about parallel discussions --
definitely a possibility, hopefully minimized if it remains truly social (maybe an invitation-only chat room rather than a forum would be better?), in any event i think the possible downside to free access is outweighed by the open and free flow of information that we have come to expect from this site

just my humble thoughts

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='sj41']And why do you guys want to take all of the work on Cheapy and dump it on the mods? That really doesn't seem fair to them unless they actually want to pick the users that are allowed. It would take alot of work, and alot of flames to the mods (for people that weren't picked but really want in) so it doesn't seem at all fair.[/quote]

Distribute the work of one over many? Of course, mods aren't forced to do anything. Heck, we already know how few of them do anything at all. :razz:[/quote]:lol:

But how many is many? Stealthy, Casey and Sneaky would probally do this and I guess Cheapy could still help but I really can't think of any other mods who would do this.

P.S. Where's Daphatty? I haven't sewen him around much lately. :?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']

grand idea casey...first lets let bluetoast, baller, jmon, lilboo, osh kosh and togepy select some people...after that we should be all set, oh but first we have to wait for them to remember they are mods...well, we dont have to do this for a couple years, do we?

[quote name='andrew333']would the deals be posted as normal --
while i do suspect that deals would be posted as they normally would, i definitely could see deal posts interwoven with social conversation posts slipping through the cracks[/quote]What? Since when has a great deal been posted exclusively in an OTT thread or something? ]

You make it seem like users who aren't as popular as some others are being punished. That's really not it at all. It's well liked people who are getting rewarded by getting their own place to hang out and talk to other people.

This really doesn't have much to do with deals. And if a person who finds a great deal doesn't want lurkers/assholes to get in on the deal, it's really his choice. If he would prefer that people that he likes gets first dibs, what's wrong with that? If any respected member would H04Rd deals, they wouldn't be in this group.

As WSB mentioned in his first post, guys like wlau who always post great deals and useful things to help but don't post much else should be allowed to have the forum too. If you've contributed enough, you should certainly be in the group. :) I personally have not seen you helping anyone (no offense to you since I probally haven't seen enough of your posts is the reason :) ) but I'm sure that you do things to help guys, too. :)

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

grand idea casey...first lets let bluetoast, baller, jmon, lilboo, osh kosh and togepy select some people...after that we should be all set, oh but first we have to wait for them to remember they are mods...well, we dont have to do this for a couple years, do we?[/quote]

Who? :D

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

grand idea casey...first lets let bluetoast, baller, jmon, lilboo, osh kosh and togepy select some people...after that we should be all set, oh but first we have to wait for them to remember they are mods...well, we dont have to do this for a couple years, do we?[/quote]

Who? :D[/quote]

why the mods at the site! who else?

you think with all the posts you have, you would know who the moderators are :wink:

[quote name='sj41']This really doesn't have much to do with deals. And if a person who finds a great deal doesn't want lurkers/assholes to get in on the deal, it's really his choice. If he would prefer that people that he likes gets first dibs, what's wrong with that? If any respected member would H04Rd deals, they wouldn't be in this group.[/quote]

Since playing Devil's Advocate is fun: What's going to stop people from doing that, regardless of a special forum? Isn't that what some people do anyway? They find a sweet-ass deal, get in on it themselves, call a few of their friends, IM a few of their online buds, THEN share it with the rest of CAG. I'm not accusing anyone of doing this, but wouldn't it pretty much be the same thing?

This is really silly. How about instead of making another forum that the assholes can't get into, just ban the assholes from the existing forum. Give them a warning and them BAN!

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

you think with all the posts you have, you would know who the moderators are :wink:[/quote]

I like this idea. First 10 users that paypal me 20 bucks get in lol. Ok I'm joking but I would be willing to choose however many people to get in, like Casey/Punqsux suggested.

[quote name='Demontooth']This is really silly. How about instead of making another forum that the assholes can't get into, just ban the assholes from the existing forum. Give them a warning and them BAN![/quote]

Because there'd be virtually nobody left... ;)

[quote name='Demontooth']This is really silly. How about instead of making another forum that the assholes can't get into, just ban the assholes from the existing forum. Give them a warning and them BAN![/quote]

Cheapy does do that. But that's far more work than it has to be. It's much easier to see if someone is being genuinely nice than it is to see if someone is being genuinely dousche.

I, for one, like this idea. As long as it remains purely social. Though I doubt it would happen to begin with, the "withholding deals from the rest of the community" dog won't hunt.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

you think with all the posts you have, you would know who the moderators are :wink:[/quote]

Jmon, Togepy, and baller are on quite a bit. Just because they do not post all that often, does not mean they do not visit here.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

Jmon, Togepy, and baller are on quite a bit. Just because they do not post all that often, does not mean they do not visit here.[/quote]

I think the fact that they're on and don't post all that often and don't involve themselves is a bit more telling...but now we're getting off topic. ;)

Hmmm... five pages to read before commenting? Ah... no.

It is an interesting idea, but who to invite, who to exclude? A private board would be good, but determining who should have access, a difficult task.

I for one know that "I" could easily become a heavy poster by hanging out in the OTT thread... but is it fair to those who do not carry on threaded dialogs about OTT to be excluded? or to have their participation measured by those who may or may not appreciate their contributions? I considered hanging with the OTT thread for a week to bulk up my rating, but decided in the end to just stand on my own contributions to the board, and save some of the OTT time for myself (not that there is anything wrong with OTT).

Im on for around a half hour to an hour each day, depending how busy I am. I just dont post like I used to.

I got an idea though. Once the initial bunch of people get in, it can be voted on. Im guessing the first batch will be a bunch of people that post a ton, like BigNick, WSB, and sj41. Anyways, after that, one of us Mods will just make a Poll when someone suggests someone. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. A simple Yes/No poll.

Even then, the forum will most likly be hidden fron the main page unless you're able to access it, so there isnt a ton of "Why cant I get it??" topics.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']Im on for around a half hour to an hour each day, depending how busy I am. I just dont post like I used to.

I got an idea though. Once the initial bunch of people get in, it can be voted on. Im guessing the first batch will be a bunch of people that post a ton, like BigNick, WSB, and sj41. Anyways, after that, one of us Mods will just make a Poll when someone suggests someone. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. A simple Yes/No poll.

Even then, the forum will most likly be hidden fron the main page unless you're able to access it, so there isnt a ton of "Why cant I get it??" topics.[/quote]

Damnit! I was thinking the exact same thing! (Guess there's no such thing as an original thought anymore.) Anyway, I agree with the nomination poll. That way the opinions of the group can be heard. Or more specifically, the reasons why certain people should not be invited in can be heard.

I'll admit I didn't read the entire thread.. but here's my thoughts..

On one hand I think its a great plan. Being able to post in a thread where we would be safe from the onslaught of certain trolls, irritating newbies, spam, etc... seems like paradise on CAG.

However, I worry the established regulars will stay in that thread and spend very little time in the open forums. It could really cause a stangnation and slow death of CAG. How many new members are going to continue to post in a slow forum full of new members?

I'm very conflicted on the idea.. but seeing as I'm content with the current setup. I'd say don't fix what isn't broken and leave it be.

[quote name='donssword']Hmmm... five pages to read before commenting? Ah... no.

It is an interesting idea, but who to invite, who to exclude? A private board would be good, but determining who should have access, a difficult task.

I for one know that "I" could easily become a heavy poster by hanging out in the OTT thread... but is it fair to those who do not carry on threaded dialogs about OTT to be excluded? or to have their participation measured by those who may or may not appreciate their contributions? I considered hanging with the OTT thread for a week to bulk up my rating, but decided in the end to just stand on my own contributions to the board, and save some of the OTT time for myself (not that there is anything wrong with OTT).[/quote]

umm i never post in the OTT. i have quite a few posts. OTT posts dont even count since they get deleted after a while anyways :p

If inclusion into this exclusive board is not automatic it will be a disaster with a surge of threads flaming people for not letting them in or threads begging people to be let in.

Not to mention the last thing we need is an exclusive club that will undoubtedly give it's members big heads and make them act like assholes - like constantly putting down people who aren't in the club, etc.

And it has been stated a lot of the problems are from members who post a lot or have been here for a long time so an exclusive club doesn't guarantee no crap threads and posts.

If you want this place to stop resembling Gamefaq we need to enforce the enviornment that we want by discouraging stupid shit like post threads, fanboy threads, avatar threads, sig threads, etc. If we got on these people just like we do with the ones who post shady deals CAG would be a better place.

bread's done
Back