Usergroup/Forum for established members.

[quote name='Scrubking']If inclusion into this exclusive board is not automatic it will be a disaster with a surge of threads flaming people for not letting them in or threads begging people to be let in.

Not to mention the last thing we need is an exclusive club that will undoubtedly give it's members big heads and make them act like assholes - like constantly putting down people who aren't in the club, etc.

And it has been stated a lot of the problems are from members who post a lot or have been here for a long time so an exclusive club doesn't guarantee no crap threads and posts.

If you want this place to stop resembling Gamefaq we need to enforce the enviornment that we want by discouraging stupid shit like post threads, fanboy threads, avatar threads, sig threads, etc. If we got on these people just like we do with the ones who post shady deals CAG would be a better place.[/quote]

I completely agree. Although is sounds nice in theory...it could be an elitist disaster and I don't think it was the intention of CheapyD to create an exclusive club of elite cheapasses. If anything we should be MORE FRIENDLY to the nubs and try to get them to follow the rules.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']I have a feeling that if this does actually happen, it will be a disaster.[/quote]

WHile i have many of the same gripes that others are expressing, i too feel that we might be opening the door to some serious problems. Regardless of the criteria for "getting in," there will be people who feel left-out.
Like me for example. I've been here for a lot longer than a lot of people who have a zillion posts, yet i only have under 1K. I would guess that most of the other regulars know me (or at least recognize my avatar :wink: ), but i don't post nearly as much as others.
Should i expect an invite to the new group? Why/why not? And if not, will I still feel compelled to post on CAG knowing that I'm missing out on the good stuff?
These are rhetorical questions of course, but i'm just trying to illustrate how complicated, and potentially destructive this could become. It reminds me of a treefort clubhouse thing when you're a kid - the kids you like get in, and the nerds can't come. Do the nerds stay around and play in the yard under the treehouse while the cool kids have fun up above? Not usually...especially if you throw things at them... :lol:

I would like to point out one thing...

How do you know there isn't already an exlusive CAG forums? It would of course be hidden and you would have to be invited to participate so how else would you even know this existed?

Think about that for a sec.

[quote name='defender']I would like to point out one thing...

How do you know there isn't already an exlusive CAG forums? It would of course be hidden and you would have to be invited to participate so how else would you even know this existed?

Think about that for a sec.[/quote]

You're an evil man for putting that thought in peoples' heads......

....and i love you for it. 8)

[quote name='Scrubking']If inclusion into this exclusive board is not automatic it will be a disaster with a surge of threads flaming people for not letting them in or threads begging people to be let in.

Not to mention the last thing we need is an exclusive club that will undoubtedly give it's members big heads and make them act like assholes - like constantly putting down people who aren't in the club, etc.

And it has been stated a lot of the problems are from members who post a lot or have been here for a long time so an exclusive club doesn't guarantee no crap threads and posts.

If you want this place to stop resembling Gamefaq we need to enforce the enviornment that we want by discouraging stupid shit like post threads, fanboy threads, avatar threads, sig threads, etc. If we got on these people just like we do with the ones who post shady deals CAG would be a better place.[/quote]

I tend to agree. CAG doesn't need such apartheid. If you think the forums are getting too stupid do something about it. Established members could do a lot of leading by example if they wanted. It would do better for the forum as a whole than expecting a VIP room.

I'm a newbie and have enjoyed this service very much. I don't object to this whatsoever. You guys should be able to hook up. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you trying to tell us something :wink:

It would have to be a very select group for someone to not get a big head at some point and end up letting it slip during one thread or another. Believing you could have any sort of membership size (i.e. more than 15 people) and keep it unmentioned in the normal threads is wishful thinking.

It's a good idea, but it doesn't seem like it would solve our problems. Isn't the point trying to teach the noobs, rather than running away from them?

If you take all the good out of a board, there's nothing left but bad. The regular boards will be crapped up.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='defender']I would like to point out one thing...

It would have to be a very select group for someone to not get a big head at some point and end up letting it slip during one thread or another. Believing you could have any sort of membership size (i.e. more than 15 people) and keep it unmentioned in the normal threads is wishful thinking.[/quote]
There could be a fourm just for the mods.

[quote name='scuba'][quote name='defender']I would like to point out one thing...

Are you trying to tell us something :wink:[/quote]

Yes, all of us are the losers and outcasts that the people in there are hiding from :twisted:

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='defender']I would like to point out one thing...

It would have to be a very select group for someone to not get a big head at some point and end up letting it slip during one thread or another. Believing you could have any sort of membership size (i.e. more than 15 people) and keep it unmentioned in the normal threads is wishful thinking.[/quote]
There could be a fourm just for the mods.[/quote]I was just about to say that. I'm a mod over at a different website and they have a forum called "mod talk" where normal users don't even know that it exists and it's a place to discuss site problems and suggestions without anybody else knowing. It's pretty cool and I've been wondering if CAG had something like that for mods. :?

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='maxguy56']This seems like a cool idea, but just wondering, how do you check how long you've had your account?[/quote]

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Either way, I don't think I like the idea as much if the intention turns into hoarding deals until the senior members get their fill, then throwing the scraps to everyone else. That's not a good way to go. I was simply thinking it as something fun and social.[/quote]

Seconded.[/quote]

THIRD'D[/quote]

You could make it read only for nonmembers. That way, deals would not get distributed privately

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='andrew333']would the deals be posted as normal --
while i do suspect that deals would be posted as they normally would, i definitely could see deal posts interwoven with social conversation posts slipping through the cracks[/quote]What? Since when has a great deal been posted exclusively in an OTT thread or something? ]

You make it seem like users who aren't as popular as some others are being punished. That's really not it at all. It's well liked people who are getting rewarded by getting their own place to hang out and talk to other people.

This really doesn't have much to do with deals. And if a person who finds a great deal doesn't want lurkers/assholes to get in on the deal, it's really his choice. If he would prefer that people that he likes gets first dibs, what's wrong with that? If any respected member would H04Rd deals, they wouldn't be in this group.

As WSB mentioned in his first post, guys like wlau who always post great deals and useful things to help but don't post much else should be allowed to have the forum too. If you've contributed enough, you should certainly be in the group. :) I personally have not seen you helping anyone (no offense to you since I probally haven't seen enough of your posts is the reason :) ) but I'm sure that you do things to help guys, too. :)[/quote]

wlau is great, you can also add dafoomie and fidodido and some others that I can't think of.

Shhhh, you're breaking the first rule!! :whistle2:$ :whistle2:$

do we newbies get a separate bathroom and drinking fountains too?

not all of us are jackasses. if you guys are getting an exclusive board, that groups good new members with the flamers/assholes/help1s of CAG, which isn't cool.

[quote name='SS4Brolly']Im on for around a half hour to an hour each day, depending how busy I am. I just dont post like I used to.

I got an idea though. Once the initial bunch of people get in, it can be voted on. Im guessing the first batch will be a bunch of people that post a ton, like BigNick, WSB, and sj41. Anyways, after that, one of us Mods will just make a Poll when someone suggests someone. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. A simple Yes/No poll.

Even then, the forum will most likly be hidden fron the main page unless you're able to access it, so there isnt a ton of "Why cant I get it??" topics.[/quote]

I think that makes a lot of sense on how to go with the matter of the forum/usergroup. Very good idea and post.

Damn you defender, you weren't supposed to talk about that.
I'm getting the illuminati diamond right now and you're getting another branding.

[quote name='kristianator']do we newbies get a separate bathroom and drinking fountains too?

not all of us are jackasses. if you guys are getting an exclusive board, that groups good new members with the flamers/assholes/help1s of CAG, which isn't cool.[/quote]

UNCLEAN!!
UNCLEAN!!
:D

[quote name='Moxio']It looks like someone added a certain something to a certain part of a certain board.[/quote]

I see it too. :lol: So far, no threads and no posts.

So, how is this going to be different than a glorified invite-only OTT? Why, exactly, would we need this in the first place? I really don't see the need for it, and i also don't see how it could be implemented well.

[quote name='Moxio']It looks like someone added a certain something to a certain part of a certain board.[/quote]

Stop turning CAG into a house of LIES!! :wink:

[quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

Nobody likes me :cry: :-({|=[/quote]

It looks like someone needs a hug.

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

It looks like someone needs a hug.[/quote]

:grouphug:

/watches as the OTTers recoil in horror :twisted:

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

/watches as the OTTers recoil in horror :twisted:[/quote]

:rofl:

Damn sbylmnl and dcfox!

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

Get your hand off my ass, Ledhed
:shock:

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

:shock:[/quote]

How do you know it's mine? There are like 5 smilies there.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

How do you know it's mine? There are like 5 smilies there.[/quote]

Unless it's Minx or DarkeKatt, I'm really creeped out right now

I just noticed it. Great! Funny stuff when you try to get in:
Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

You missed a couple, deadzone and 6669.

Edit: Oh no, I forgot I shouldn't have said deadzone. Now I'm going to get the full wrath of the Sneaky the mod.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

You missed a couple, deadzone and 6669.[/quote]
They're a couple now? :twisted:

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

Ah, I thought he missed them because they're under 18, I think.

They are both a little underage don't you think? :wink:

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Okay...the "Secret Society" just vanished from the board list. :?

I wonder what that means?[/quote]

I think Defender probably hid it.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Okay...the "Secret Society" just vanished from the board list. :?

He's like Harry Potter. He's a magician. Maybe more along the lines of Gandalf. Or even a lounge magician. Now you see it, Now you don't.

well i have a good amount of posts and have olny posted in an oot at most 5 times.

oh and i recognize organic cow when ever he posts cause his avatar is cool

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus']Okay...the "Secret Society" just vanished from the board list. :?

He's like Harry Potter. He's a magician. Maybe more along the lines of Gandalf. Or even a lounge magician. Now you see it, Now you don't.[/quote]
yeah i saw it, it olny had 2 posts and it was gone when i reloaded the page.

[quote name='Moxio']It appears this won't happen. Too many members are taking offense to this.[/quote]

i don't think anyone (well maybe one or two) took offence to defender's little HA HA, but i think that is a taste of how people might feel if the secret society were made real...

[quote name='Moxio']It appears this won't happen. Too many members are taking offense to this.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think it will either. It was kind of a given that a lot of users wouldn't like the idea.

bread's done
Back