Usergroup/Forum for established members.

Why have a new board when we have "Cheap Ass Lifestyle & Off Topic (non-gaming)"? Why must everyone believe that they are some sort of an elitist?

:notworth: Holier then though...or shall I just say stuck up snobs. Or do you want to post all the good deals on your elitist board and then give all of us Joe Blows the leftovers. My main question is what do you elitist want/need to post about that you can not post on a everyone can see board??

The point of CAG imho is for poor gamers to find the games they want at a cheap price and for gamers to chat with others that have the share the same hobby. It is not some country club for gamers if you don’t meet the requirements then you are booted or isolated. Ignore posters that annoy/flame/troll/whore/etc. don’t give then the attention that they are looking for then they will go away or stop being dumb.

All in all I don’t understand the reason to have an elitist/I am better then you board. If you want a board like that there are plenty all ready on the net and it won’t take you long to find.

[quote name='spoo']Why have a new board when we have "Cheap Ass Lifestyle & Off Topic (non-gaming)"? Why must everyone believe that they are some sort of an elitist?

:notworth: Holier then though...or shall I just say stuck up snobs. Or do you want to post all the good deals on your elitist board and then give all of us Joe Blows the leftovers. My main question is what do you elitist want/need to post about that you can not post on a everyone can see board??

The point of CAG imho is for poor gamers to find the games they want at a cheap price and for gamers to chat with others that have the share the same hobby. It is not some country club for gamers if you don’t meet the requirements then you are booted or isolated. Ignore posters that annoy/flame/troll/whore/etc. don’t give then the attention that they are looking for then they will go away or stop being dumb.

All in all I don’t understand the reason to have an elitist/I am better then you board. If you want a board like that there are plenty all ready on the net and it won’t take you long to find.[/quote]

OoooOOoo...testy.

Things change...

Just because something is different or new doesn't automatically make it bad.

CAG can and will evolve over time no matter what anyone does. It is the nature of the beast.

While I do agree that a l33tist mentality should be avoided. I also think that certain steps should be considered to keep this site as small feeling as possible. It would be better to have 50 forums each with users that like each other and have similar tastes than 1 forums where it is a free for all spam/flame fest. As we get more thousands of users every month....where do they all go? What the hell do they say? Threads are becoming monstrous, discussions are boring, flames are prevelent, and new users don't follow rules well.

I have said this earlier. There is no 1 answer to address CAG's current dilemma. CAG is always in need of more...whether its hacks, moderators, users, forums, or whatnots. CAG is evolving and those that can't evolve with the site will die off.

I think CheapyD makes very good decisions and he is never impetuous. We should just voice all our opinions and let CheapyD decide what is best. I trust his judgement.

Being a CAG has been great. When I found out about this site, I realized I was not alone in the bargain hunt and within the site I was being helped and I helped in finding deals for myself and others. Maybe the reason I stayed on and read and posted within these forums is because of the people who made it worth checking out everyday. IF their is a seperate forum for only top CAG that is fine, but when certain new people join and the boards are full with idiots, the realible one's will leave because they were driven out and they did not get to know certain good CAGers that made this site what it is and that may cause CAG.com not to grow but to a lesser extent become a lost site.

What ryosnk said above. Before CAG, I would live on eBay trying to get "deals". I quickly found that man cannot live on eBay alone to get the deals. I would even buy tips to get good deals on videogames from auctioners on eBay but those turned out to be crap. Then EGM hooked me up with this website and I have been hooked ever since. (I would still love to know who wrote that letter that got published). I don't post on any other board or even go to other boards. I think that they are a waste of my time. But something about this site has kept me coming back.

My hope is to not have secret boards as this would only diss the community which contributes so much to this site to make it the success it has become

I am not for a secret board...for the above stated reasons. Aren't mods supposed to step in and keep the flame wars and other nonsense in check?

I've noticed that most of the people who don't want a secret board, don't want one because they selfishly don't want there to be deals that they can't partake of.

Personnaly, if there was another borad...i would still post in the regular one too. ALL of the deals (IMO) should stay within anyones grasp, while some convo's arnt available to everyone.

[quote name='Scrubking']I've noticed that most of the people who don't want a secret board, don't want one because they selfishly don't want there to be deals that they can't partake of.[/quote]

Acutally, that is another good reason to not have the secret boards. This website's main purpose is so that everyone can partake of deals. That is a big reason why I come here - the deals!!!

Problems? What problems?

Yeah, there are more users now than last year, so what? There are idiots here, there are thoughful people here. I say, keep 'em coming. The more active people we have on the boards means the more eyes are out there looking for, posting, and discussing deals. It also means there are more people clicking on ads and cheapy links that keep the site alive. Don't give me this crap about needing to stay small or be a community bullshit, we need ideas, thoughts, deals, and information more than we need to be elitists. If you really want to be exclusive then maybe CheapyD should just make it a subscription service and you freeloaders should pony up every month. Otherwise, shut up, get back in your corner and wait for the bell to ring before you start swinging.

Most people are inactive anyway, and the ones that get out of hand get smaked with a ruler by the vets, which is the way it's supposed to be. I think I got flamed for double postings and general idiocy a few times when I first joined. Now I've mitzvah'd and I think I can handle myself without being bitchslapped by a bunch of geekboy bandwagoneers, or get that annoyed by the pre-pubescent, leet-speaking ass monkeys. It's just a forum, stop being such elitists about videogames.

I say we ban all the commie-liberals !

i agree posting on this site isnt anything near as good as how it used to b when i first joined. in fact i stopped posting/viewing the forums regularly b/c of all the retarded posts a few months ago. now i just come here to look at the the deals and threads displayed on the front page.

if a seperate section does get created for established members, regular people should be able to look at it just not post. that way the regulars dont miss out on any deals and that section of the forum still stays clean.

[quote name='WarrenGekko']My hope is to not have secret boards as this would only diss the community which contributes so much to this site to make it the success it has become[/quote]What community is getting dissed? The comunity is the people who post alot and talk to alot of people and help others out. Those are the people that are suppose to be in the "kool kids klub". The assholes and people who start flamewars and other shit like that are not the community.

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='WarrenGekko']My hope is to not have secret boards as this would only diss the community which contributes so much to this site to make it the success it has become[/quote]What community is getting dissed? The comunity is the people who post alot and talk to alot of people and help others out. Those are the people that are suppose to be in the "kool kids klub". The assholes and people who start flamewars and other shit like that are not the community.[/quote]

:applause:

I totally agree with your statement. If there is a secret society for CAG:

A. There would more than likely not be any deals posted in it
B. People who do post deals would be rewarded (def. would make sure someone like wlau got in, even though he rarely posts, when he does it is usually a great deal)

I just don't agree with the seperate board............we just need a harder police force.
Let it be known certain crap won't be tolerated and "poof" be gone.

[quote name='bluetoast'][quote name='WarrenGekko'] (I would still love to know who wrote that letter that got published). [/quote]

That person was Walt Rogers.

Press Mentions[/quote]

I love that person!

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='sj41'][quote name='WarrenGekko']My hope is to not have secret boards as this would only diss the community which contributes so much to this site to make it the success it has become[/quote]What community is getting dissed? The comunity is the people who post alot and talk to alot of people and help others out. Those are the people that are suppose to be in the "kool kids klub". The assholes and people who start flamewars and other shit like that are not the community.[/quote]

:applause:

I totally agree with your statement. If there is a secret society for CAG:

A. There would more than likely not be any deals posted in it
B. People who do post deals would be rewarded (def. would make sure someone like wlau got in, even though he rarely posts, when he does it is usually a great deal)[/quote]

That is not why this website exists to give special access to deals for people that rarely post. This is a website for the entire community of cheap ass gamers and not some subjective club. If only certain people can go it will piss off the rest of the cheap gaming community and the site becomes less of what the intent is.

I think it would actually make people more deal consious, expecially people who never post deals. If we got them to start looking for deals, it could provide a benefit to both members and non-members of this seperate usergroup

some of us work for a liveing, therefore by the time we actually do find something out it is posted allready. Heck this is how I find out about most. guesss that means I am not in the "kool kids club" because I work and can not devote my life to video games?

[quote name='bluetoast'][quote name='WarrenGekko'] (I would still love to know who wrote that letter that got published). [/quote]

That person was Walt Rogers.

Press Mentions[/quote]

Everyone should read this posted link above. This is the spirit of what made this website a site that made the Big Boards.
Forming clubs is not what this is about.

Personally I think that a seperate board for members who have been here for a set amount of time is an excellent idea. Personally I stopped posting some on a regular basis some time ago because of the rapidly diminishing quality of these boards.

Some people think too highly of themselves. The quality of the boards might just get better if some of those people left. We don't need no stinkin' badges !!!

[quote name='bmulligan']Some people think too highly of themselves. The quality of the boards might just get better if some of those people left. We don't need no stinkin' badges !!![/quote]

Spoken like someone who isn't playing Paper Mario 2. :)
I want all the badges I can get... they make Mario hit like a steamroller. :)

don't know if this thought has already been expressed but my reservation about a separate board would be that the number of posts and then users decrese and that Cheapy loses leverage with some of the advertisers/links on the page. Just a little while ago he made a page about how great it was to get to 500,000 posts so that it could be listed on big boards (or whatever that ranking service was), also I remember several months ago him making a thread about we were nearing the (whatever number) of users.

In my mind it would end up hurting CAG's ability to be an income source of Cheapy D.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']don't know if this thought has already been expressed but my reservation about a separate board would be that the number of posts and then users decrese and that Cheapy loses leverage with some of the advertisers/links on the page. Just a little while ago he made a page about how great it was to get to 500,000 posts so that it could be listed on big boards (or whatever that ranking service was), also I remember several months ago him making a thread about we were nearing the (whatever number) of users.

In my mind it would end up hurting CAG's ability to be an income source of Cheapy D.[/quote]

100% Agree. If you want people to leave then having a secret board will accomplish the mission. If you want a community where gaming deals and reviews (etc.) are discussed and shared than this is the place. Again, I love this place and I have read the thread that started this thread (until it broke down) by WSB, so I understand the problems that people are experiencing.

One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal. This person is posting a gaming deal and shouldn't be treated like a pariah for doing so. This happens so much that I see people apologizing for posting a deal that may be already posted but couldn't find it. I'm scared to think of all the deals that could have been missed only because the person was afraid to post it for fear of flame.

I think it's a bad idea - it smacks of elitist thinking, and there's already too much of that going on here. I've been here for a few months, but my post count is low. I'm not a member of the "CAG eilte", so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a prom ticket.

[quote name='WarrenGekko']One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal. This person is posting a gaming deal and shouldn't be treated like a pariah for doing so. This happens so much that I see people apologizing for posting a deal that may be already posted but couldn't find it. I'm scared to think of all the deals that could have been missed only because the person was afraid to post it for fear of flame.[/quote]

Good point. I haven't posted deals that I KNEW weren't listed here yet for that exact reason. I've seen too many people post deals and have been excoriated/laughed at/cursed for not knowing that the deal has already been posted. It seems to me that the community should be grateful that people are trying to help the community out. If someone posts a previously posted deal, a Mod should post a polite reply that it's already been posted with a link to the original poster, delete all of the flaming/damning posts that other CAGs have posted, and lock the thread. Maybe then more people would try to help out the community - myself included.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter'][quote name='WarrenGekko']One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal. This person is posting a gaming deal and shouldn't be treated like a pariah for doing so. This happens so much that I see people apologizing for posting a deal that may be already posted but couldn't find it. I'm scared to think of all the deals that could have been missed only because the person was afraid to post it for fear of flame.[/quote]

Good point. I haven't posted deals that I KNEW weren't listed here yet for that exact reason. I've seen too many people post deals and have been excoriated/laughed at/cursed for not knowing that the deal has already been posted. It seems to me that the community should be grateful that people are trying to help the community out. If someone posts a previously posted deal, a Mod should post a polite reply that it's already been posted with a link to the original poster, delete all of the flaming/damning posts that other CAGs have posted, and lock the thread. Maybe then more people would try to help out the community - myself included.[/quote]

Sorry, you're wrong. A polite response IS the norm. More often than not, a double deal post is flagdeg by another user with either just a link to the original thread or a one sentence response like: "already been posted". Deal flaming is NOT a common occurance.

And you don't post deals because you're afraid? Check between your legs to make sure your balls are still there. You were that kid who always cried in fifth grade, weren't you ...?

You're probably crying right now 'cause I hurt your feelings...

Ah yes - a "Cheap Ass Newbie" (who's been a member here for almost 10 months) makes a legitimate point and is flamed by a CAG lifer. How wonderfully typical - thanks for helping to prove my point.

Just to make sure you're not as confused as I think you may be, the reason I choose not to post deals is evident in my post. You choose to call it fear, I choose to call it not helping out generally ungrateful people. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Also, should I warn WarrenGekko that you will also direct some of your misplaced rage towards him? I was concurring with his point when I made mine, and he also actually used the word "scared". Should I warn him that an angry anonymous Internet person with a ball fetish will unleash a clumsy flame against him also?

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Heavy Hitter'][quote name='WarrenGekko']One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal. This person is posting a gaming deal and shouldn't be treated like a pariah for doing so. This happens so much that I see people apologizing for posting a deal that may be already posted but couldn't find it. I'm scared to think of all the deals that could have been missed only because the person was afraid to post it for fear of flame.[/quote]

Good point. I haven't posted deals that I KNEW weren't listed here yet for that exact reason. I've seen too many people post deals and have been excoriated/laughed at/cursed for not knowing that the deal has already been posted. It seems to me that the community should be grateful that people are trying to help the community out. If someone posts a previously posted deal, a Mod should post a polite reply that it's already been posted with a link to the original poster, delete all of the flaming/damning posts that other CAGs have posted, and lock the thread. Maybe then more people would try to help out the community - myself included.[/quote]

Sorry, you're wrong. A polite response IS the norm. More often than not, a double deal post is flagdeg by another user with either just a link to the original thread or a one sentence response like: "already been posted". Deal flaming is NOT a common occurance.

And you don't post deals because you're afraid? Check between your legs to make sure your balls are still there. You were that kid who always cried in fifth grade, weren't you ...?

You're probably crying right now 'cause I hurt your feelings...[/quote]

Its been lately. While I agree with you that a polite response USED to be the norm, the casual one liners informing the OP that the deal has already been posted is now turning much harsher.

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Heavy Hitter'][quote name='WarrenGekko']One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal. This person is posting a gaming deal and shouldn't be treated like a pariah for doing so. This happens so much that I see people apologizing for posting a deal that may be already posted but couldn't find it. I'm scared to think of all the deals that could have been missed only because the person was afraid to post it for fear of flame.[/quote]

You're probably crying right now 'cause I hurt your feelings...[/quote]

Sigh...

One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal.

Finally something I can agree on.

[quote name='Scrubking']
One recommendation that I have is to admonish anyone who flames someone else for posting a deal. All too often I see people posting a deal and than one or two people go crazy because it is posted somewhere else. There is absolutely NO REASON to flame someone for posting a deal. So what if you read it once before! There should be a NO FLAME RULE for anyone who posts a deal.

Finally something I can agree on.[/quote]

I believe there already is a blanket no-flame rule on the forums...that doesn't mean people obey. Rules were made to be broken and ignored.
No matter what you do...not everyone will follow the rules.

Here's a side-topic for discussion...what exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.

EDIT: Opened for discussion in a new thread - thanks atreyue!

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40348

I don't think that there's any good and fair way to institute the idea being discussed. I've been a member for a year now and spend about an hour a day in the forums, but there are people who have been on for a day who have posted more than me. I've never flamed anyone, but I've participated in some silly threads and I've never posted a deal either (you bastards are too quick for me). I'm posting today cause I love this site, I don't want to see it get worse, and after reading 15 pages of posts, I feel required to write something. So I'll make some suggestions and skip the criticisms.

How hard would it be to institute a 3 strikes and you're out rule, where a certain number of mods (3 to 5?) can agree on whether or not something is inappropriate and enforce predetermined punishments for ignoring warnings (like removing someone's posting priviledges for a month)?

Also, I think that another forum like the politics one should be created for the little bitter wars that seem to spring up all the time. That way, when a thread deteriorates (which happens all too often these days, I agree), the increasingly irrelevant can be splintered off to this new forum where people can say whatever they want without fear of reprisal from mods. Then those who want to seriously want to discuss things can continue to do so in the original thread and there can still be a place to enjoy flamewars and indulge in the more destructive aspects of posting. Sort of a "Bitches Anonymous" for those who need it. A simple post from a mod stating that whatever issue being discussed has been moved to that forum and a link to the new thread (followed by the deletion of any further attempts to continue in that vein) should take care of things and discourage people from thread-killing sidetracks. This also takes care of the many attention hos trolling the forums these days.

I think most of the people on here trust the mods, so I think they should have the power to make these kinds of decisions. But if all the old heads came here for was to post to only their buddies all day, then I would recommend instant messenger or a mods and invitation only chat room. No reason why the people who keep this site running and enjoyable for the rest of us shouldn't get to enjoy some special priviledges. It would help to hurt everyone else's feelings less if it were something other than a private forum.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Here's a side-topic for discussion...what exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.[/quote]

WORD

Although, you will never get everyone to agree to a universal meaning for what a flame is. Everyone will always have their own meaning.

I believe there already is a blanket no-flame rule on the forums...that doesn't mean people obey.

I understand, but as far as I know it has never been inforced. Other forums give you 1 warning and then ban you for trashing other people's contributions. It is common sense that if you don't stop people from trashing other's contributions they will eventually stop contributing - that is why this rule is strongly enforced in other places.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Here's a side-topic for discussion...what exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.[/quote]

This is one of the things that can be improved. Banky, you should create a new thread for this discussion and edit your post with a link to it. This one is already so long that it's bound to be missed.

[quote name='atreyue'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Here's a side-topic for discussion...what exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

This is one of the things that can be improved. Banky, you should create a new thread for this discussion and edit your post with a link to it. This one is already so long that it's bound to be missed.[/quote]

Can't find that discussion either

[quote name='"Scrubking"'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
WORD

Although, you will never get everyone to agree to a universal meaning for what a flame is. Everyone will always have their own meaning.

I believe there already is a blanket no-flame rule on the forums...that doesn't mean people obey.

I understand, but as far as I know it has never been inforced. Other forums give you 1 warning and then ban you for trashing other people's contributions. It is common sense that if you don't stop people from trashing other's contributions they will eventually stop contributing - that is why this rule is strongly enforced in other places.[/quote]

Just because people break the rule doesn't mean that it is appropriate. If someone breaks the rules they need to be admonished.

[quote name='Scrubking']I've noticed that MANY of the people who want a secret board, want one because they selfishly want there to be deals that ONLY they can't partake of.[/quote]

Fixed

a private board would just take away from the site.. i mean what would be the difference in just making another site for exlusive memebers? I think it would deter new users... and in the end hurt the site.

I figure cheapassgamer to be a reasource to all gamers...

people need to just respect others... and be tolerant. Assholes will be assholes, but it shouldn't come to this.

[quote name='defender']Things change...

Just because something is different or new doesn't automatically make it bad.

CAG can and will evolve over time no matter what anyone does. It is the nature of the beast.

While I do agree that a l33tist mentality should be avoided. I also think that certain steps should be considered to keep this site as small feeling as possible. It would be better to have 50 forums each with users that like each other and have similar tastes than 1 forums where it is a free for all spam/flame fest. As we get more thousands of users every month....where do they all go? What the hell do they say? Threads are becoming monstrous, discussions are boring, flames are prevelent, and new users don't follow rules well.

I have said this earlier. There is no 1 answer to address CAG's current dilemma. CAG is always in need of more...whether its hacks, moderators, users, forums, or whatnots. CAG is evolving and those that can't evolve with the site will die off.

I think CheapyD makes very good decisions and he is never impetuous. We should just voice all our opinions and let CheapyD decide what is best. I trust his judgement.[/quote]

I would like to help in any way possible. I know I've partaken in the flaming, but I would like to help.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I would like to help in any way possible. I know I've partaken in the flaming, but I would like to help.[/quote]

Try to flame constructively. Remember that when you are saying something negative it always softens the blow to accentuate the positive. An old classic:

"You suck, XBOX sux, and your mama did the same thing last night! But hey, did you get a new haircut? It looks GREAT! Did you lose some weight? You go girl!"

[quote name='Scrubking']I've noticed that MANY of the people who want a secret board, want one because they selfishly want there to be deals that ONLY they can't partake of.[/quote]

That is the prob with this discussion. What good is the site if it is only limited to 50 people?

There are plenty of new people who contribute to this site. In fact we were all new once, and I am sure most of us having this discussion have contributed to the site in a meaningful way... but who is to judge? There are people just in this thread who I have never even interacted with before, yet I consider myself moderately active for someone who does not live my life in OTT land.

bread's done
Back