VA Tech tragedy. 33 dead. *Shooter sent photos and video to NBC*

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']More people should be educated enough to know what happens in war.[/quote]

Knowing what happens and seeing what happens dont even compare though.

Man the media is really reaching for content...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18173672/?duck=true

In the end people are making too big a deal out of the whole thing. The Killer is certainly somewhat interesting and the whole pathetic media is pandering on emotions by trying to make the nation feel the loss of a few who are actually related to the incident. The victims of this incident are no more tragic than all the people who die around the world or the man who gets hit by the bus.....................

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']More people should be educated enough to know what happens in war.[/QUOTE]

Well the south loves their gun so bigger guns are even better!

Plus we were lied to and that's why we went to war.

Wait, what the fuck are we talknig about? Are we blaming the shooting on war now?

South Korean diplomats shouldn't have to apologize for Cho's actions. The mofos who picked on Cho should step up and get a pool stick through the asshole. Whether they survive or not, that should not be our concern.

[quote name='David85']Wait, what the fuck are we talknig about? Are we blaming the shooting on war now?[/quote]
Haha, I think it was just mentioned on how the media is restricted on reporting certain stuff.

But in other news, NASA shooting, was it going to happen or was it a copycat?

I know this is a tragedy and all, but am I the only one who's sick and fucking tired of seeing this on the news every night and on the radio every morning?

[quote name='LiquidNight']I know this is a tragedy and all, but am I the only one who's sick and fucking tired of seeing this on the news every night and on the radio every morning?[/QUOTE]

No, I got sick of it a couble days ago.

It would be better if instead of showing the asshole shooter ALL the time they start to show the dead people.

I've been trying to avoid coverage, and now I'm trying to avoid the notion that the killer looks like Gilbert Gottfried.

choshxm0.jpg

18658449op2.jpg

[quote name='Scobie']I've been trying to avoid coverage, and now I'm trying to avoid the notion that the killer looks like Gilbert Gottfried.
[/QUOTE]

...My God.:shock:

I don't know if someone may have said this before, but that video is a freaking farce. It's the guy trying to make himself look cool. Distorting his image for the media. The fact that the writings he was reading sounded like a pretty generic " I hate the world and it's all your fault" long winded poem, and that he sent this content to NBC, makes this pretty clear. It's just his PR. He wanted the world to think of him that way before he killed himself. That way no one can really know the kid.

And the bullying thing. Yeah. Don't make fucking excuses for the kid, ok. I've been bullied I've been pushed toward the edge, i've been burning with anger to actually *gulp* think about doing this bullshit, and got in trouble for it around 6th grade when they found stick drawings, writings, art and ect in my notebook. I have finally realized why I felt like doing these things.

Because I was a loner. Becuase I wanted eople to take me seriously and not see me as a joke. I wanted to have power, for once. I wanted to have control. I wanted to leave my mark on the world. I had knew that it was how the columbine kids did it. What's his name knew that's how the columbine kids did it, so he did it himself, but raised the bar a little bit. He even sent in a PR tape so the media wouldn't have to mold or figure out a charecter for him, he had already made one up. That's where the columbine duo messed up. He got what he wanted ( worldwide attention ) and they (the media) got what they wanted ( ratings and views).

Yes, the guy was bullied, but that was all throughout highschool and middle school. Supposedly, he was a loner by his own will in college. THey wanted to give him help, but he didn't see a problem. From day one he didn't open up to anyone, and he expected people to like him?

Bullying in itself is a touchy issue. If you tell then you are a pussy and will get bullied again with more force, but if you don't then you'll just still be bullied. There aren't enough administrators in the world to be there whenever someone is being bullied, and the teachers can't do it becase their primary goal is to teach. People are assholes, generally around that age. Some deal with it and move on, some don't and are really effected by it, and some do this. I have sympathy for people who have been bullied, but when it gets to the point where you are completely OK with killing random people in a school, you become shit to me. Period. These things are never a person killing a group of people they had a grudge against. It's just killing random people. You can't tell me that everyone who went to Columbine High bullied the Columbine kids, yet their original intention was to have a bomb blow up in the cafeteria so the library would fall on the people eating lunch at the pinpointed busiest time/ place of the day . and kill a bunch of people. Yeah, lets stand up for those poor, defenseless, souls.

This is how kids get all fucked up. I know a kid who is picked on constantly, and there's allways these two girls who say " stop picking on him before he brings a gun in and kills you ) or us all )" and I mean, what the fuck is that? Why not " stop pciking on him becuase it's the right thing to do and he has feelings also"? It's making these kids think that the only way to get a say in how they are treating is to kill some people. Not only that, but they can get that power and attention that they've allways wanted. But wait, they can kill themselves to get a free " Get out of Jail Free" card. They'll also get that " lets have sympathy for the bullied kid" afterthought placed in everyone's minds. Looks like the score's 32, wonder who'll beat that in the next 8 or so years?

If I ever saw a kid with a gun in my school, looking to kill a bunch of people, I would find him and imobilize him in any way possible. If not just to possibly save my own and other peoples' lives, but to prove to everyone that the quiet loner type kid isn't always the one who enjoys the thought of killing random people.

Oh, and I hope that they catch the next guy before he kills himself so he can be punished to the full extent to the law.

[quote name='LiquidNight']I know this is a tragedy and all, but am I the only one who's sick and fucking tired of seeing this on the news every night and on the radio every morning?[/QUOTE]

I thought this at first, too, but Anna Nicole Smith has been obliterated from the airwaves. That's OK in my book.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I don't know if someone may have said this before, but that video is a freaking farce. It's the guy trying to make himself look cool. Distorting his image for the media. The fact that the writings he was reading sounded like a pretty generic " I hate the world and it's all your fault" long winded poem, and that he sent this content to NBC, makes this pretty clear. It's just his PR. He wanted the world to think of him that way before he killed himself. That way no one can really know the kid.

And the bullying thing. Yeah. Don't make fucking excuses for the kid, ok. I've been bullied I've been pushed toward the edge, i've been burning with anger to actually *gulp* think about doing this bullshit, and got in trouble for it around 6th grade when they found stick drawings, writings, art and ect in my notebook. I have finally realized why I felt like doing these things.

Because I was a loner. Becuase I wanted eople to take me seriously and not see me as a joke. I wanted to have power, for once. I wanted to have control. I wanted to leave my mark on the world. I had knew that it was how the columbine kids did it. What's his name knew that's how the columbine kids did it, so he did it himself, but raised the bar a little bit. He even sent in a PR tape so the media wouldn't have to mold or figure out a charecter for him, he had already made one up. That's where the columbine duo messed up. He got what he wanted ( worldwide attention ) and they (the media) got what they wanted ( ratings and views).

Yes, the guy was bullied, but that was all throughout highschool and middle school. Supposedly, he was a loner by his own will in college. THey wanted to give him help, but he didn't see a problem. From day one he didn't open up to anyone, and he expected people to like him?

Bullying in itself is a touchy issue. If you tell then you are a pussy and will get bullied again with more force, but if you don't then you'll just still be bullied. There aren't enough administrators in the world to be there whenever someone is being bullied, and the teachers can't do it becase their primary goal is to teach. People are assholes, generally around that age. Some deal with it and move on, some don't and are really effected by it, and some do this. I have sympathy for people who have been bullied, but when it gets to the point where you are completely OK with killing random people in a school, you become shit to me. Period. These things are never a person killing a group of people they had a grudge against. It's just killing random people. You can't tell me that everyone who went to Columbine High bullied the Columbine kids, yet their original intention was to have a bomb blow up in the cafeteria so the library would fall on the people eating lunch at the pinpointed busiest time/ place of the day . and kill a bunch of people. Yeah, lets stand up for those poor, defenseless, souls.

This is how kids get all fucked up. I know a kid who is picked on constantly, and there's allways these two girls who say " stop picking on him before he brings a gun in and kills you ) or us all )" and I mean, what the fuck is that? Why not " stop pciking on him becuase it's the right thing to do and he has feelings also"? It's making these kids think that the only way to get a say in how they are treating is to kill some people. Not only that, but they can get that power and attention that they've allways wanted. But wait, they can kill themselves to get a free " Get out of Jail Free" card. They'll also get that " lets have sympathy for the bullied kid" afterthought placed in everyone's minds. Looks like the score's 32, wonder who'll beat that in the next 8 or so years?

If I ever saw a kid with a gun in my school, looking to kill a bunch of people, I would find him and imobilize him in any way possible. If not just to possibly save my own and other peoples' lives, but to prove to everyone that the quiet loner type kid isn't always the one who enjoys the thought of killing random people.

Oh, and I hope that they catch the next guy before he kills himself so he can be punished to the full extent to the law.[/quote]

Cliched yet 99.99% of the people writing that cliched shit don't actually do anything.

The way the media is hyping this now, no wonder some people are calling Cho a prophet.

At this point, why can't they give the dead respect and just shut up for a day?

I don't thinK Cho was right at all, he's responsible for one of the worst crimes, sins, possible, but...

when he said in his letter, how the mercedes, the gold chains, the vodka, the drugs, the lies, weren't enough for them, he's right. The media just needs to stop, it's enough already, and they just don't realize it, blinded by their paychecks.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I don't know if someone may have said this before, but that video is a freaking farce. It's the guy trying to make himself look cool. Distorting his image for the media. The fact that the writings he was reading sounded like a pretty generic " I hate the world and it's all your fault" long winded poem, and that he sent this content to NBC, makes this pretty clear. It's just his PR. He wanted the world to think of him that way before he killed himself. That way no one can really know the kid.

Oh, and I hope that they catch the next guy before he kills himself so he can be punished to the full extent to the law.[/QUOTE]

yeah, he's trying to look tough in the video and if he had not gone and shot 32 people, I might say it's farcical. As you say, lots of people have those kinds of feelings and it is a joke a lot of the time. We call them emo kids or whatever and usually they catch a break and hang with other emo kids, then get over it.

but here's someone who didn't get a break and was seriously fucked up from bullying and whatever else happened to him. He developed a serious, real hatred for his peers because of it. He probably saw those who fucked with him continue to get rewarded and praised as he sunk more and more in to the background, which lead to him seeing everyone as "hedonistic." Social darwinism kicked his ass and he wanted revenge. I wouldn't be surprised if he was messed with in college too (but of course no one there would tell the media that.)

Can't say I'm completely sympathetic all the way through the shooting, but underneath the fucked up stuff, there's a story people can sympathize with. So I wouldn't say he made up a character, instead he just wanted to make sure the real one come across, to give people something to consider.

not sure if he succeeded though, sounds like a lot of his vid is incomprehensible :roll:

[quote name='Apossum']I wouldn't be surprised if he was messed with in college too (but of course no one there would tell the media that.)
[/quote]
They interviewed these two guys the day after the shooting that were either suitemates or floormates, and they were saying how they always tried to include him and get him to hang out with them. One kid was smirking the whole time. You could tell they were full of shit. So yeah, I'm sure he was messed with and/or ignored in college too.

Anyone who has lived in college dorms, and probably moreso in the freshman years, knows what kids do to the kids that don't fit it. They don't just leave them alone. They bother them or make it apparent that they don't fit in. And even when the person stays out of their way and does their own thing, they continue to get harassed. It can be like high school all over again except now you're living with these people.

Going off of what Moiety said, in the special edition of Time, the one student was saying he took Cho out for lunch on "a bet to make him laugh". Sounds innocent, but I doubt this was in good fun.

I see what the sports players do to the kids at my school who are a little slow. It's sad, they act "friendly" but they are really just showing off.

People have done that to me many of times. I can understand him with ignoring people, becuase when someone talks to me and I can tell that they're trying to be a dick, I ignore them. I can sympathize with him a little bit, but I still don't understand the logic of killing a bunch of random people. That didn't solve anything. Kids like him will still get picked on, only worse because of the backlash that this entire thing is causing.

And I've had those very same feelings to, and I was not considered emo, I never found any emo friends to hang out with, and I didn't consider my feelings a joke, yet I have never went and killed people. I've thought about it, but never done it. It wouldn't solve anything.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']People have done that to me many of times. I can understand him with ignoring people, becuase when someone talks to me and I can tell that they're trying to be a dick, I ignore them. I can sympathize with him a little bit, but I still don't understand the logic of killing a bunch of random people.
[/quote]

That's because it is totally illogical.

Even if this guy couldn't get a gun he probably would have found another way to hurt as many people as possible.

Well as has been discussed before, the rare people like Cho who end up killing lots of people have a different mental health wiring, if you will, than most other young people in the country/world that have been picked on, so naturally most of us will never totally understand the exact reasoning behind his decision to kill, but we can make conjectures and figure out what likely led him down this road. One thing is for certain: he did not have any coping mechanisms (and probably lacked a support system), and thus could not deal with whatever bullying/outcasting he experienced. Because the anxiety was never dealt with, it manifested itself ultimately into this massacre. And yes, there are people who have difficulty deal with their anxiety, and it manifests in other ways (depression, personality disorders, etc), but Cho had a unique psychology that sent him down this particular path.

To be honest, considering the millions of people in this country and the billions in the world, it is surprising that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. Just listening to the news reports about how privacy laws prevent even parents from being notified of issues at school is troubling. The colleges and univeristies are in the ultimate "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

After finally seeing his videos, I must say:

You can't be too much of a revolutionary if you sound like Napoleon Dynamite.

[quote name='Brak']After finally seeing his videos, I must say:

You can't be too much of a revolutionary if you sound like Napoleon Dynamite.[/QUOTE]

I just found it on youtube and you're right, the guy sounds exactly like Napoleon Dynamite.

[quote name='moiety']Well as has been discussed before, the rare people like Cho who end up killing lots of people have a different mental health wiring, if you will, than most other young people in the country/world that have been picked on, so naturally most of us will never totally understand the exact reasoning behind his decision to kill, but we can make conjectures and figure out what likely led him down this road. One thing is for certain: he did not have any coping mechanisms (and probably lacked a support system), and thus could not deal with whatever bullying/outcasting he experienced. Because the anxiety was never dealt with, it manifested itself ultimately into this massacre. And yes, there are people who have difficulty deal with their anxiety, and it manifests in other ways (depression, personality disorders, etc), but Cho had a unique psychology that sent him down this particular path.[/quote]

True, but that's no excuse to kill over 30 people. Lots of people deal with depression and loads of stress and other things. The guy had no excuse for what he did. He could have just blew his own brains out. I mean cmon, from what I read the guy made no attempt to interact with other people, yet we have to focus the blame on his "depression" or "bullying", instead of giving full responsiblilty for the one doing the shooting. Of course people are going to make fun of kids that don't fit in or act differently, you're never going to get rid of that. If his life was so bad, he could have just killed himself. I have no sympathy for the guy. Lots of people have **** lives, he's not the only one in the world.

[quote name='Blackout542']True, but that's no excuse to kill over 30 people. Lots of people deal with depression and loads of stress and other things. The guy had no excuse for what he did. He could have just blew his own brains out. I mean cmon, from what I read the guy made no attempt to interact with other people, yet we have to focus the blame on his "depression" or "bullying", instead of giving full responsiblilty for the one doing the shooting. Of course people are going to make fun of kids that don't fit in or act differently, you're never going to get rid of that. If his life was so bad, he could have just killed himself. I have no sympathy for the guy. Lots of people have **** lives, he's not the only one in the world.[/QUOTE]

Everything you've said is using a mode of logic that makes sense to you.

Hence why everything you've said bears little utility or application to this situation.

Beyond that, the suggestion for suicide is a pretty bad one.

Moiety isn't dismissing responsibility or giving the guy a free ride. She's (he? I can't remember everyone on this site, apologies if necessary!) saying his mind was beyond a point we can understand, and as such there's no way to comprehend his methods. It's not much different from assuming a can opener could peal an orange because it too has a blade.

There's just as likely a chance that if he'd gotten help - counseling, drugs, etc - that the outcome would have been no different.

At some point our speculations reach a limit to what can be applied to what he thought, what he imagined, and what he did. The simple matter is that he was operating in such a manner that even if he were alive today and trying to explain his actions, there's a good chance we'd never understand.

Some people just break. And when they're broken, there's little (if any) recourse left.

It's not an excuse - it's an explanation. There's a difference.

[quote name='moiety']They interviewed these two guys the day after the shooting that were either suitemates or floormates, and they were saying how they always tried to include him and get him to hang out with them. One kid was smirking the whole time. You could tell they were full of shit. So yeah, I'm sure he was messed with and/or ignored in college too.

Anyone who has lived in college dorms, and probably moreso in the freshman years, knows what kids do to the kids that don't fit it. They don't just leave them alone. They bother them or make it apparent that they don't fit in. And even when the person stays out of their way and does their own thing, they continue to get harassed. It can be like high school all over again except now you're living with these people.[/QUOTE]

right on the nose. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the people who pushed him over the edge.

You know what would help this situation, and help prevent future things like this from happening?

And I know this is going to be derided and dismissed as idealistic and stupid and all other manner of such things, but it's (what I think is) the truth:

People need to be nicer to each other.

Period.

I imagine - though I am not sure in any way - that when this guy was running around during the massacre, he was in a state of mind where what he was doing pulled no emotional strings at all. He was most likely in a catatonic state as far as morality and legality were concerned, and didn't care about extinguishing life. Probably remorseless and completely surgical during it, really. Cold and calculating and without a hint of care.

I'd question, honestly, whether or not he was even angry or enjoying what he was doing. I'm going to say he was completely and totally removed so far from the act that it was hardly registering. If I assume that to be true (again, no way to prove this), it's because he no longer felt any kind of regret and killing people. And you could make the stretched call to say that people pushing him over the edge convinced his mind that no one was worth saving.

I mean when you put up with shithead after shithead after shithead after shithead, at some point you can convince yourself that everyone is a shithead. What you do after that is your own concern, but given the way I've seen people on the news talk about him - both students and talking heads at Fox and other outlets - absolutely no one seemed to truly treat the guy with any respect.

I like Brak quite a bit, but I don't really like the whole joke about him sounding like Napoleon Dynamite. I read earlier that he had to read an assignment in a writing class, and everyone just laughed when he tried to talk. And this was after the prof had to threaten him with a failing grade, so it's obvious he'd been tormented over how he sounded.

Even his grandfather insulted him.

I mean wtf, seriously. Was anyone ever nice to this guy? Because I don't know what happy worlds a lot of you people live in, but college is full of motherfucking assholes, and I'm willing to be each and every one of them pounced on his guy when they had they chance. And I'm sure it happened constantly throughout his life.

I want to make clear that I am not passing this off as a justification for his actions, 'cuz I'm not. But I'm fucking sick and tired of hearing about how when these things happen, the kid is always a loner, was always picked on, etc etc.

People just don't give a shit these days. And again, as idealistic it sounds, if people were nicer to each other, this kind of thing wouldn't happen as much. If you didn't get pissed when I drive the speed limit, if you weren't a total asshole and talk on your cell phone in a movie, if you didn't fling racial slurs whenever you get the chance, if you didn't push the nerdy kid in the hall because he's wearing a World of Warcraft shirt, etc etc etc etc, on and on and fucking on, then it would certainly help the world at large.

I can't make the claim that it would stop such massacres. But I damn sure can make the claim that it couldn't hurt to fucking try.

[quote name='Strell']You know what would help this situation, and help prevent future things like this from happening?

And I know this is going to be derided and dismissed as idealistic and stupid and all other manner of such things, but it's (what I think is) the truth:

Period.

I imagine - though I am not sure in any way - that when this guy was running around during the massacre, he was in a state of mind where what he was doing pulled no emotional strings at all. He was most likely in a catatonic state as far as morality and legality were concerned, and didn't care about extinguishing life. Probably remorseless and completely surgical during it, really. Cold and calculating and without a hint of care.

I'd question, honestly, whether or not he was even angry or enjoying what he was doing. I'm going to say he was completely and totally removed so far from the act that it was hardly registering. If I assume that to be true (again, no way to prove this), it's because he no longer felt any kind of regret and killing people. And you could make the stretched call to say that people pushing him over the edge convinced his mind that no one was worth saving.

I mean when you put up with shithead after shithead after shithead after shithead, at some point you can convince yourself that everyone is a shithead. What you do after that is your own concern, but given the way I've seen people on the news talk about him - both students and talking heads at Fox and other outlets - absolutely no one seemed to truly treat the guy with any respect.

I like Brak quite a bit, but I don't really like the whole joke about him sounding like Napoleon Dynamite. I read earlier that he had to read an assignment in a writing class, and everyone just laughed when he tried to talk. And this was after the prof had to threaten him with a failing grade, so it's obvious he'd been tormented over how he sounded.

Even his grandfather insulted him.

I mean wtf, seriously. Was anyone ever nice to this guy? Because I don't know what happy worlds a lot of you people live in, but college is full of motherfucking assholes, and I'm willing to be each and every one of them pounced on his guy when they had they chance. And I'm sure it happened constantly throughout his life.

I want to make clear that I am not passing this off as a justification for his actions, 'cuz I'm not. But I'm fucking sick and tired of hearing about how when these things happen, the kid is always a loner, was always picked on, etc etc.

People just don't give a shit these days. And again, as idealistic it sounds, if people were nicer to each other, this kind of thing wouldn't happen as much. If you didn't get pissed when I drive the speed limit, if you weren't a total asshole and talk on your cell phone in a movie, if you didn't fling racial slurs whenever you get the chance, if you didn't push the nerdy kid in the hall because he's wearing a World of Warcraft shirt, etc etc etc etc, on and on and fucking on, then it would certainly help the world at large.

I can't make the claim that it would stop such massacres. But I damn sure can make the claim that it couldn't hurt to fucking try.[/QUOTE]

"nah brah, we all tried to help him and make him fit in. It was all his fault because he just needed to chiiilllll."

;)

I agree. Sucks that we live in an age devoid of responsibility, and at the same time, an age of extreme finger pointing and scapegoating. it's not a healthy conundrum. so the same people who messed with him and made him an outcast will also say he did it only because he was crazy and didn't make an effort to fit in.

[quote name='Strell']Long, but eloquent post about being nice to one another[/quote]
That's all well and good, but it ain't gonna happen.

We're talking about human beings here, not Smurfs.

Humans have been pricks to each other for thousands of years. And they will continue to be pricks to each other for a couple hundred more (until we wipe ourselves out).

Of course, I would advocate being nice instead of a jerk, that's just a good all-around policy. But don't get your hopes up for everyone else.

[quote name='Strell']Everything you've said is using a mode of logic that makes sense to you.

Hence why everything you've said bears little utility or application to this situation.

Beyond that, the suggestion for suicide is a pretty bad one.

Moiety isn't dismissing responsibility or giving the guy a free ride. She's (he? I can't remember everyone on this site, apologies if necessary!) saying his mind was beyond a point we can understand, and as such there's no way to comprehend his methods. It's not much different from assuming a can opener could peal an orange because it too has a blade.

There's just as likely a chance that if he'd gotten help - counseling, drugs, etc - that the outcome would have been no different.

At some point our speculations reach a limit to what can be applied to what he thought, what he imagined, and what he did. The simple matter is that he was operating in such a manner that even if he were alive today and trying to explain his actions, there's a good chance we'd never understand.

Some people just break. And when they're broken, there's little (if any) recourse left.

It's not an excuse - it's an explanation. There's a difference.[/quote]

When I meant suicide, I meant he didn't have to kill all those people, he could have just killed himself. I wasn't saying "oh your life sucks just kill yourself". I meant even if he was thinking there was no hope for him, etc, why not just end his own life (it seemed like he planned on doing that anyway) rather than take other people with him? If a person is having trouble coping with a situation, they should look for help. From my understanding he didn't take part in suggested therapy. In his video he makes it sound like everyone was to blame for his problems, but I mean cmon. At some point you have to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming everyone for why you do certain things.

He was in such an erroded mental state, yet he still has the capacity to make the videos and send off the package? He knew what he was doing. The way these situations seem to go (Columbine for example) is that everyone starts blaming things for why the person did it-"oh they listened to Manson, they played violent video games" to "he was bullied, he was a loner". It seems everyone is quick to put up an explanation, and that explanation soon turns into the scapegoat, rather than putting the responsibility on the indiviudal, they put it on something else.

I agree that people need to be nicer. People are dicks, but still. Life is full of choices. You have the choice to not let people get you down and make the best of a situation, and you have the choice to shoot people to death. I have no compassion for killers like this.

BTW, why is everyone making a big deal out of his writings? I read the one where he shoves a candy bar or something down his stepfathers throat. It didn't seem that bad or like a prelude to what he was going to do.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']That's all well and good, but it ain't gonna happen.

But don't get your hopes up for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

I never said it would happen, and I don't have my hopes up for it ever.

But that doesn't change the fact that it would nice if it did.

[quote name='Strell']I never said it would happen, and I don't have my hopes up for it ever.

But that doesn't change the fact that it would nice if it did.[/quote]

Yeah, it would..it definitely would.

*Dreams of riding unicorns along rainbows and soaring through the sky on Falcors and doing laps in a pool of melted ice cream. Yum!*

[quote name='Strell']You know what would help this situation, and help prevent future things like this from happening?

Period.[/quote]

The machine is always looking for ways to drag this message down, politicize it, twist it into a beauracracy or a way to make cash.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it turns out that Cho had no television or game consoles in his dorm suite, and his roommate told the police that he's never even seen him play videogames of any kind:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Warrant_Reveals_No_Games_In_Cho_Seung_Hui_s_Posession

Of course, you'll never hear about this aspect from the news media, as it would totally kill their "who/what is to blame" angle.[/quote]
Thank you Vanilla, I think its safe to say that Jack Thompson is a complete idiot and that this small fact just proved Jack was wrong that "Cho was trained by the video game Counter Strike" Man, you must have a big asshole to pull that one out.:lol:

Video of JT taking from his ass seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1xhnXDpe0

Great article in my school newspaper about Cho:

http://badgerherald.com/oped/2007/04/23/attempting_to_unders.php

I was inspired to write this article because of what occurred in a discussion section of mine. The reasons behind Cho Seung-Hui’s actions at Virginia Tech were clearly beyond the comprehension of my classmates, but not to me. I felt uncomfortable attempting to explain his behavior in class, so instead I have decided to provide the best answer I can in writing. I am doing so because I believe I can provide a better answer than the popular media. They glorify the macabre details and attempt to simplify the situation to ease public alarm.

It is impossible to ever truly understand what goes on in someone else’s mind, but for reasons I wish to keep private, I have some insight into his personality. Where most people see an incoherent diatribe, I can follow his train of thought.

Mr. Seung-Hui’s actions were an explosion of long-repressed paranoia and rage. What lead to the mass homicide of April 16 had been building for years. There may be a specific starting point, or there may not have been. It is very well possible there may not be a particular individual or incident to blame for the beginning of his descent.

In the very beginning, Mr. Seung-Hui probably experienced a threat to his personal well-being. It could have been something severe, such as a sexual assault, or it could have been something as minor as childhood harassment. Whatever the threat was, he failed to develop an effective coping mechanism and also failed to let go of it. Over time, he began to compile a body of grievances. Real or imagined, severe or minor, in the end, they all become severe and imaginary.

When you are as socially isolated as Mr. Seung-Hui, your mind becomes an echo chamber. You have few social attachments or interests in life, so the few things that do happen resonate and magnify, distorting into major episodes. When an individual is as alienated as he was, obsession is the standard, not the exception.

At the same time Mr. Seung-Hui was compiling his list of grievances, he probably began developing numerous defensive behaviors. These behaviors are of critical significance. Primarily, they serve as a means to protect oneself from other people by creating distance. Hostile or friendly, nobody finds anything to latch onto, so they leave you alone. At the same time, you protect and suffocate yourself. Most human beings are social creatures; they require interaction. Whereas I distanced myself from my peers, I still did let my guard down and interacted with adults. And occasionally, I also formed minor social connections with a small number of my peers. Mr. Seung-Hui appears to have had no one.

What made Mr. Seung-Hui particularly dangerous was that he was extremely successful at his defensive behavior. While he obviously desired social connections, he was not able to accept responsibility for his own behavior. For me, these behaviors were such an essential part of my personality that they became ingrained into my personal identity. The problem is, most people misinterpret paranoid defensive behavior as shyness. They make direct attempts to interact with you. You rebuff people because you do not trust them, and in turn, they reject you because of your anti-social behavior. This rejection is interpreted as an act of hostility. The peers I opened up to were just people who accepted me as I was, not the ones who tried to open me up.

The important thing is that I chose to open up. I doubt anything could have been done to change Mr. Seung-Hui. Psychological treatment would not have helped him because he did not want help. Attempts to get him into treatment and treat him were likely viewed with suspicion and hostility. Sending him to a mental hospital would likely have succeeded in doing nothing more than removing him from society. It is likely that, one way or another, he would have acted out violently at some time — just with less deadly results.

Having provided what background I can, I will attempt to answer the question of why someone would do something like this. When you are extremely paranoid, depressed and introverted, being alive is painful. During certain times in my life, I felt so much stress that I was in constant physical pain. It never struck me as out of the ordinary because the last time my life had been “normal” was during early childhood. I am so used to living in varying states of depression that for a long time I failed to recognize it as depression.

Combine this pain and depression with a massive list of overblown grievances that are constantly obsessed over and years of accumulated paranoia and rage contained under pressure: The results are explosive. Mr. Seung-Hui was a bomb waiting to go off. Nothing could have been done to stop him. The best possible result probably would have been for him to commit suicide after being locked away in a mental institution. If our society were to assume a policy of locking away individuals it found disturbing against their will, how much suffering would it create? But at least the suffering would be out of the public eye and therefore more acceptable.

If our society wishes to prevent further rampage killings, it must realize this is a complicated phenomenon with roots that run deeply through American culture. There are no easy answers and there are no quick solutions. The public does not want to solve this problem and make the necessary changes and sacrifices. It wants the illusion of comfort and security.

Further, I believe that the current media coverage of the Virginia Tech shooting is ignorant, reckless and dangerous. By dissecting his life for proof of his monstrosity, the media are further endearing him to those who identify with him. By denying his humanity, he is becoming a twisted martyr figure like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold before him. It is the condescending sensationalist attitude of press coverage that is provoking these copycat threats and potentially putting lives at risk.

Make no mistake: Nothing can ever justify what Mr. Seung-Hui did. However, the group of individuals in question is, at best, teetering on the razor’s edge of rationality. The public’s indignation and denouncements only further aggravate the pain and resentment of a deeply disturbed group of self-victimizing individuals. Lives are being put at risk for the sake of ratings that shock value generates. Please stop.

The author is a University of Wisconsin student and a contributor to The Badger Herald who wrote on the condition of anonymity. Please direct feedback to [email protected].

bread's done
Back