Valkyria Chronicles 2 - Out Now

The second protagonist is another 17-year-old by the name of Zeri, who is Aban's friend and holds a "burning secret inside of him."

Please don't let him be a valkyria. It's been done. I'm assuming he's the guy carrying a Pistol, which just made me realize that this game has pistols. I'm hoping it gives snipers and lancers a weak crossfire thing. I always found it ludicrous that they'd just stand still as people ran up to them and shot them.

Updated the OP. I think they're just adding something to the experience system. It still sounds like your units get upgraded by class, but you can customize your favorites or regulars. I think that's how it's going to be done.

[quote name='pete5883']Oh great, they're getting rid of the superior experience system. Thanks, Sega.[/QUOTE]
Updated does not necessarily mean completely rehauled. :) Wait a bit and see what other info comes out...

I've wanted to talk about this news ever since I first heard that there was a sequel being made in Japan (long before the DLC hit here in the states.) Stoked to finally see word of the sequel hit, even though there's no official news on whether this will come to the states or not.

Valkyria really is a one-in-a-million underdog success story, but it's one that all the fans can - and should be - extremely proud of.

More information posted from AdrianSang.com

It's a bit early to be talking about Tokyo Game Show lineups, but one company's plans for the show already have me excited. Sega revealed today that the recently announced Valkyria Chronicles 2 will be shown at the event!

This announcement came in the latest post at the Valkyria Chronicles blog, where producer Shuntaro Tanaka once again sat down for a mock interview with Edie Nelson and other characters from the original Valkyria.

Sadly, Tanaka didn't specifically state that the game would appear in a playable state. Although given the game's winter release, it definitely sounds like a possibility.

Elsewhere in the interview, Tanaka spoke a bit about the game's BLiTZ System. As previously detailed, Valkyria 2 inherits this system from its predecessor, but adds in some major power ups.

Tanaka refers to the BLiTZ system as one of the fundamental systems of the original. "As long as it's Valkyria, we have to properly replicate it," he says about the system.

In making the move to the PSP, there are a number of changes at the control level to the system -- things that had to be implemented because the PSP has a different control layout. However, he feels that players will still get the feeling that they're playing Valkyria.

As for those powered up areas, although pressed by Edie, Tanaka said he couldn't say too much.

He did share one point, however. It's something that Valkyria fans might have noticed in today's screenshot batch:

In the above map, the L and R buttons allow you to switch the map between the various areas of play. Yes, the game's maps now consist of multiple connected areas. The maps all co-exist, so you can consider the whole area as one giant map.

Tanaka wouldn't specify how the areas are connected. Edie complained that this was second time today he'd said he couldn't say something and she threatened to get violent. He relented and revealed that the areas are connected at "base" points, and that the the battles at these areas would be more intense than even in the last Valkyria.

Apparently realizing that she'd gotten her way with Tanaka, Edie decided to press him to say for sure if she'd be appearing in the game. She'd requested the same information in the first blog post last week about Valkyria 2. Tanaka once again ducked the question and fled the scene.

Sega will have another one of these blog dialogs next week, so maybe Edie can ask then. In the meanwhile, check out the new screens.

So much new information on VC2...:drool:

From andriasang.com

With Valkyria series producer Shuntaro Tanaka temporarily relieved of duty following a gunshot wound to the head (don't worry -- the real Tanaka is okay), there was some concern about who would take his place in the weekly updates at the Valkyria Chronicles blog. Today, we found out.

In the hot seat this week with Edy Nelson and Homer Pieroni is Valkyria 2 producer Shinji Motoyama.

2132387993view.jpg

Edy begins her first interview with Motoyama by asking the question that seems to be most on her mind: will she be appearing in Valkyria 2. Motoyama's reply is, "I see. You'd like to hear about sub characters this time, right?" That seems to suggest that Edy will be a sub character, but Motoyama doesn't actually say this for sure.

Sub characters in Valkyria Chronicles 2 are your classmates. They take the place of the battalion members of the original. According to Motoyama, the development staff is taking great care in deciding what characters appear in this group, as he feels one of the charms of the original was the personable battalion members.

With Valkyria 2 taking place in an academy, does this mean all the sub characters will be young? Apparently not! According to Motoyama, the Ranseal Officer's Academy which serves as the school for the game's main characters, seeks out even people who've achieved success in vigilante groups and volunteer armies. Thus, you'll find some elderly students as well. He did admit that younger students are in the majority, though.

Motoyama ran off before giving Edy a straight forward answer about her possible appearance in the game. But the interviews will continue! Edy and Homer said to expect another one next week.

The Valkyria Chronicles 2 official site will be going through some changes following next week's update, Sega announced today separate from the blog update. Starting August 20, the updates will switch to Thursday's rather than the current Fridays -- presumably to line up with the Thursday release of Famitsu.

Sega also provided a sneak peak at the site's upcoming updates.

The August 20 update will see something big happen at the site's top page. Clear certain conditions, and you'll be able to see actual gameplay footage of the game. Also, Sega will provide new blog parts for the game on this day.

The September 3 update will see the opening of the official site. Wait a minute... the current site isn't the actual official site? Apparently not! The true opening will bring sections for characters, key words, battle fields and other content, along with a bunch of game movies.

September 10 and beyond will bring lots and lots of movies.

Looks like Sega is gearing up for a big showing at TGS in late September!

And from Siliconera.com

Valkyria Chronicles 2 has more classes than Valkyria Chronicles. Way more classes. There are 35 types of military units you can control in the sequel.

The diagram shows two branching choices for Avan, one of the game’s new heroes. It isn’t clear what each class offers, but a screenshot shows parameter boosts like extra hit points and defense for one track.

image70q.png

[quote name='darkcecil32']Awesome news, finally have a reason to dust off my psp, if this comes stateside.[/QUOTE]

You mean when it comes stateside, right? ;)

Its so wonderful knowing that another cool game, thats FTW!

I did saw the gameplay of this one, A strategy, rpg, type of game IMO.

Any violent reactions?

Last edited by a moderator:
ValkyriaTribune twitter says ad-hoc multiplayer co-op and versus play confirmed at TGS. Anybody know if Sega revealed co-op being for entire campaign, or separate maps/scenarios?

This is the psp game I am looking forward to most other than Peace Walker.
I'm not sure how well multiplayer will work but it sounds good to me. Hopefully this will only be 30 cause I'm not paying more for this than I did the 1st one.

I hope there's room on the UMD for dual-audio. I never got used to the English voices in the first VC.

Alicia and Welkin return in Valkyria Chronicles two as playable characters.

500x_valkal.jpg

Why would those two join the military again when they have a daughter? Will no one think o fhte children?!

This thread hasn't been upped in a while. While I'd love to add additional hype and get everyone excited, there just hasn't been a lot mentioned about the US release as of late.

However, I did recently download and play the Japanese demo which was fun!

Looking forward to this, just hope they make the characters a bit more interesting and add some maturity to the story.

I liked VC, I just felt like I was 8 years old when watching the cut scenes =(

Now that everything I was already anticipating is out, this is my next most wanted game. Valkyria Chronicles is easily one of the best RPG's I've played.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Amazon needs to put it up for pre-order all ready. :cry:[/QUOTE]
Seriously. They even have Atelier Rorona up for pre-order already but no Valkyria Chronicles 2? WTF?

Still wondering what the issue is with Gamestop's release date...either way, now time to see what (if anything) we can get in the way of pre-order bonuses. Not expecting much, but I'll take what I can get.

They announced it last week that it's coming out on August 31st, 2010. The same day as Metroid: Other M and Dead Rising 2. Why do you not like my money Sega? First you release Yakuza 3 the same day as Final Fantasy XIII
You also cut 15-20% of the game content without properly re-balancing it
and now you release the sequel to my favorite PS3 on the same day as my most beloved franchise (Hint: It ain't Dead Rising)? What's wrong with you!?

That's also a week before Birth By Sleep.

Gamestop Pre-Order Bonus:

Pre-order Valkyria Chronicles II and receive 2 additional single player missions.

Exercise vs Class E - This is a clean-up war exercise against rival class E, which will take place in all of the areas of Leanbluff forest.
Exercise vs Class F - Go against Class F, Avan’s rival class, and run

Online Customers: A code and instructions on how to redeem your 2 additional single player missions will be emailed when the game releases.

Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: A code and instructions on how to redeem your 2 additional single player missions will be printed on your receipt at time of purchase.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75992&loc=pspslider1

I don't have a PSP. GRR to Sega! Though I am in the market to buy a couple portable systems for me and the wife for a couple trips coming up. I'd love to get a PSP to play this, but I heard that the DS is just better especially for multiplayer...

[quote name='Lord_Zath']I don't have a PSP. GRR to Sega! Though I am in the market to buy a couple portable systems for me and the wife for a couple trips coming up. I'd love to get a PSP to play this, but I heard that the DS is just better especially for multiplayer...[/QUOTE]

It depends on your gaming habits. Look at the games and pick the one that has the games you like best. I like the PSP because the games are insanely cheap and they're a bit more my style.

The PSP is a great system for RPGs and I play it way more than my DS and Wii.

problem is I'm looking to use these on a trans-pacific flight, which means at least 13 hours before I can recharge. I probably would be gaming for a solid 6-7 hours, but even so from what I read the PSP is only 3-4 hours at best :(. Plus in order to play multiplayer games, we'd need two copies - the DS it seems only needs one copy...

[quote name='Lord_Zath']problem is I'm looking to use these on a trans-pacific flight, which means at least 13 hours before I can recharge. I probably would be gaming for a solid 6-7 hours, but even so from what I read the PSP is only 3-4 hours at best :(. Plus in order to play multiplayer games, we'd need two copies - the DS it seems only needs one copy...[/QUOTE]

3-4 hours? Maybe if you're running Wifi on the highest brightness setting while also using it to make some popcorn. I'm usually able to get ~7 or so. That's just a guesstimation, as I've never really timed myself. If all else fails, you can just buy additional batteries for your PSP. It's alot easier to switch out a PSP battery than it is for the DS.

Now, in order to play multiplayer games, you're going to want two copies of each, regardless of system. The DS can do a thing called Download Play, where two DS's can play with just one copy, but you end up playing a greatly neutered version. Mario Kart, for example, limits you to certain tracks, and the player without the game is stuck with just one cart.

Just realized we are leaving for our trip to Japan on 9/3 and this comes out 8/31... Better order it with 1-Day or overnight delivery to make sure it gets here in time.

bread's done
Back