Valkyria Chronicles $20 at GameStop NEW

I am liking this game, though for someone like me who is not a strategy game fan, the woods level is a kick in the balls (I think it's ch. 4 or 5).

I hear it gets even worse tho, which scares me...

[quote name='jh6269']I am liking this game, though for someone like me who is not a strategy game fan, the woods level is a kick in the balls (I think it's ch. 4 or 5).

I hear it gets even worse tho, which scares me...[/QUOTE]

You think that's ruff wait till you get further down the line (don't want to spoil it). There is a battle in there that to me is almost out of place as far as difficulty. i already have this game and love it. the question is weather it would be worth picking up another copy being that it is out of print?

Too bad no trophies for this game. I would have gotten when I saw it at Gamestop, but having no trophies is a turn off.

[quote name='Casteor']Too bad no trophies for this game. I would have gotten when I saw it at Gamestop, but having no trophies is a turn off.[/QUOTE]

Saw: The Game gives out tons of trophies. So by your standard, does that make it better than Valkyria Chronicles somehow? Since apparently trophies somehow changes everything else about the game -- that being the game.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']You think that's ruff wait till you get further down the line (don't want to spoil it). There is a battle in there that to me is almost out of place as far as difficulty. i already have this game and love it. the question is weather it would be worth picking up another copy being that it is out of print?[/QUOTE]

I know, and I'm dreading it. I hope I'll be able to finish it.

I guess it depends on what you plan to do w/the second copy. If you buy it new and don't open the original packaging, you may be able to sell it some years later. But from reading this thread, it seems like all if the games have been gutted.

[quote name='Casteor']Too bad no trophies for this game. I would have gotten when I saw it at Gamestop, but having no trophies is a turn off.[/QUOTE]

VC not having trophies is a downer, but that definitely shouldn't be a deal-breaker. The game is absolutely amazing. Even with MGS4 and Uncharted 2, Valkyria Chronicles is still my favorite PS3 game. You should definitely give it a chance.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Saw: The Game gives out tons of trophies. So by your standard, does that make it better than Valkyria Chronicles somehow? Since apparently trophies somehow changes everything else about the game -- that being the game.[/QUOTE]

No, no, no. I can enjoy excellent games like MW2 where they offer trophies and Resident evil 5. I can also play Valkyria Chronicles (which seems like a great game), but I can't justify putting time into it (on my part) and not get trophies.

Don't be mislead what I'm saying, though. I play games for fun, but trophies add to it as well.

Get where I'm going? Every gamer has their own preferences.

seems kinda silly to be so obsessive over something(that's nothing more than bragging rights mind you) to the point where you refuse to buy a great game because it doesn't have trophy support.

[quote name='eddie291']seems kinda silly to be so obsessive over something(that's nothing more than bragging rights mind you) to the point where you refuse to buy a great game because it doesn't have trophy support.[/QUOTE]

I don't refuse to buy a game solely because of that. I'd rather put my money into say, Bioshock. Say that they're two equally great games in my view. One has trophies, other doesn't.

I'll go with the one that'll give me more satisfaction. That doesn't mean i'm obsessed over it. Because I like water, does that mean I obsess over drinking water over drinking soda? Of course not.

Ultimately, that is what you are suggesting.

agreed. obsessed wasnt the right word to say.

what i tried to say that it's silly to like trophies so much that if a game doesn't have it, it causes you to second guess picking it up.

[quote name='eddie291']agreed. obsessed wasnt the right word to say.

what i tried to say that it's silly to like trophies so much that if a game doesn't have it, it causes you to second guess picking it up.[/QUOTE]

I agree. When it comes down to limiting yourself to how many games you'll buy, you'll go with the one that will give you more satisfaction for your money. VC isn't that right now, but I'd jump on it (only after I get the titles that I want that are in front of it on my list).

[quote name='Ronzilla']So for those who have played this game, is it worth it or necessary to get the Strategy Guide for this game?[/QUOTE]

Use IGN or something like that.

[quote name='Ronzilla']So for those who have played this game, is it worth it or necessary to get the Strategy Guide for this game?[/QUOTE]

Nope - it can be a little tricky in some parts, but just make sure to save mid-battle so you don't have to re-start missions.

That's the biggest piece of advice anybody could offer a new player in this game IMO.

[quote name='Casteor']Use IGN or something like that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RudyPants']Nope - it can be a little tricky in some parts, but just make sure to save mid-battle so you don't have to re-start missions.

That's the biggest piece of advice anybody could offer a new player in this game IMO.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Thanks for the input. I was looking at guides online and they seem to be OOS or $50+. I'd have to end up trading a fellow
CAG to get it reasonably priced lol. I'll definitely heed your advice on the saves, thanks.

[quote name='juden66']So if you buy a game from GS online it comes sealed??[/QUOTE]

They don't gut like the B&M if it is new (they need to redo their B&M process). My last used game from their website was actually new, but gutted (not resealed) and I was very pleased.

[quote name='RudyPants']Nope - it can be a little tricky in some parts, but just make sure to save mid-battle so you don't have to re-start missions.

That's the biggest piece of advice anybody could offer a new player in this game IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yes... save often.

[quote name='Casteor']I don't refuse to buy a game solely because of that. I'd rather put my money into say, Bioshock. Say that they're two equally great games in my view. One has trophies, other doesn't.

I'll go with the one that'll give me more satisfaction. That doesn't mean i'm obsessed over it. Because I like water, does that mean I obsess over drinking water over drinking soda? Of course not.

Ultimately, that is what you are suggesting.[/QUOTE]

At $20 a pop, no reason not to have both Bioshock and VC in your collection unless, of course, you can't afford $40 on games at the moment.

I got it used for about $16 at Gamestop ($17.99 and 10% discount with Edge) a couple months ago. I'm loving it! It's definitely worth $20 or even the full $60 at launch, used or new.

[quote name='eddie291']seems kinda silly to be so obsessive over something(that's nothing more than bragging rights mind you) to the point where you refuse to buy a great game because it doesn't have trophy support.[/QUOTE]

It's a wonder people even gamed back in the days of SNES, N64.

[quote name='chuckywang']It's a wonder people even gamed back in the days of SNES, N64.[/QUOTE]

Its a wonder how people went to other places on earth that were far away before the days of cars, planes. Give me a break. Trophies/Achievements are not going anywhere, they will be standard from here on out on major gaming platforms and they add a lot to the value of your dollars from the gaming you do imo. Its nice to not only enjoy a game, but get proof you've finished it at the same time. I own valkyria chronicles. I haven't played it yet. Holding out for a trophy patch. If one comes, i will drop anything i am playing to get to it. If not, it will have to wait till i run out of games with trophies to play to get to it, and my backlog is in the hundreds.

seems kinda silly to be so obsessive over something(that's nothing more than bragging rights mind you) to the point where you refuse to buy a great game because it doesn't have trophy support.

I am obviously not obsessive over them (look at my puny gamerscore), but I love them at the same time. The lack of such a system was just as much a nail in the coffin on my Wii as the graphics and lack of good third party games were. (I sold my wii+ games recently to pick up a PS3 slim)

For example, I purchased Borderlands through steam , love it, but am thinking about purchasing again on 360/PS3 so I can play through for the achievements/trophies, since it frustratingly lacks them on steam.

That being said, I did pick up Valkyria Chronicles at gamestop recently and will play through it regardless once I stop being so enthralled with Demon's Souls.

I didn't realize that trophies were such a big deal to some people. Really, they're trivial digital items that no one else really cares about... proof of finishing a game? Why do you need proof of finishing a game? Who are you going to show it to?

Back on topic, I just ordered this online with the BEMERRY code for $17.99. Great deal as I've been delaying my purchase of this game for a long time.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its a wonder how people went to other places on earth that were far away before the days of cars, planes. Give me a break. Trophies/Achievements are not going anywhere, they will be standard from here on out on major gaming platforms and they add a lot to the value of your dollars from the gaming you do imo. Its nice to not only enjoy a game, but get proof you've finished it at the same time. I own valkyria chronicles. I haven't played it yet. Holding out for a trophy patch. If one comes, i will drop anything i am playing to get to it. If not, it will have to wait till i run out of games with trophies to play to get to it, and my backlog is in the hundreds.[/QUOTE]

lol

Those who ordered online, please post if they're factory sealed. So far one of you confirmed they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine used and saved 2 bucks. :)

Awesome game so far. The demo left me confused, but I am glad I bought it.

I am a fan of Advance Wars and this fills in the gap.

For people wanting a walkthrough, just use gamefaqs?

I bought a PS3 just for this game. I bought a second copy since this game deserves more than $20. Both games arrived factory sealed, if you were wondering.

[quote name='FiretrUCK']What's the best way to clean those fucking stickers off the case?[/QUOTE]

Peel them off VERY SLOWLY... and I do mean VERY slowly.

If the sticky goo stayed... Rubbing alcohol will work it off. Or... I usually just take any tape I have at hand(usually clear desk tape)... apply to the sticky goo area... use my finger nail and apply pressure to really get the tape to STICK... then yank the tape off real fast(remember to brace the cover plastic so it doesn't rip) A few peel and all the goo should be removed with the piece of tape.

[quote name='Shady Hombre']Those who ordered online, please post if they're factory sealed. So far one of you confirmed they are.[/QUOTE]
I inadvertently ordered two copies in two seperate orders online (long story), and both came factory sealed.

[quote name='XClaude']Peel them off VERY SLOWLY... and I do mean VERY slowly.

If the sticky goo stayed... Rubbing alcohol will work it off. Or... I usually just take any tape I have at hand(usually clear desk tape)... apply to the sticky goo area... use my finger nail and apply pressure to really get the tape to STICK... then yank the tape off real fast(remember to brace the cover plastic so it doesn't rip) A few peel and all the goo should be removed with the piece of tape.[/QUOTE]

Another way is to peel off as much as you can... the glue will sometimes be stubborn so soak it in warm soapy water for about 10 minutes and they usually come right off.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I think I will pick this up at GS this weekend if the b2g1 is a reality.[/QUOTE]

B2G1 doesn't cover new games.

[quote name='momouchi']B2G1 doesn't cover new games.[/QUOTE]

Right, but that still doesn't mean he can't just buy the new copy.

I did that the last time they had the b2g1, I was going to get it used, but t someone got to it before I did. They had a new sealed copy, so I took that instead.

Gamestop has Valkyria Chronicles for $19.99. Use coupon code BEMERRY for 10% off and free shipping. Comes to $19.25 total. :bouncy:

Linky

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='the4thnobleman']Movie Gallery or Hollywood Video for $5...thanks though![/QUOTE]
YMMV

my HV wants 34.99 for it

I never order from Gamestop.com but do their game come open like how they sell it at their store? I hated when I buy a new game, they usually give me an open one and put it into a case and sell it at new.

[quote name='cloudspear']I never order from Gamestop.com but do their game come open like how they sell it at their store? I hated when I buy a new game, they usually give me an open one and put it into a case and sell it at new.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they did that for MGS4 and Oblivion GOTY for me.

bread's done
Back