Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='blackjaw']It's funny that Walmart got millions of copies, my EB that I pre-ordered it at only got four and there hasn't been one sitting on the shelf since.[/quote]

When I was looking for this game I went to 2 Wal-Marts here in Toronto and both of them did not have it. I also managed to catch a cold hunting this game for almost three hours but I don't regret in one bit because this game is so awesome. I just finished the first battle of CH. 10
God bless my tank, my sniper and my engineer because that's all I needed along with Orders
One question, guys: What are the requirements for receiving an A rank?

[quote name='Siggy Stardust HD']When I was looking for this game I went to 2 Wal-Marts here in Toronto and both of them did not have it. I also managed to catch a cold hunting this game for almost three hours but I don't regret in one bit because this game is so awesome. I just finished the first battle of CH. 10
God bless my tank, my sniper and my engineer because that's all I needed along with Orders
One question, guys: What are the requirements for receiving an A rank?[/QUOTE]

A ranks usually have to do with how fast you can finish a level.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Well, that's really unfortunate. The game is so niche I wonder how many people would actually think to check out Walmart to see if they had a copy.[/quote]Walmart has been doing that a lot lately with the niche games though. The ones around my area almost always have extra copies of the Atlus games long after they've sold out at the local GS.

Here the locations of enemy aces.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/qna/942165.html?qid=11365

From the weapons I have got though don't go kicking yourself if you have missed any of them. The weapons they give you offer up higher attack against people and armor, but the range totally plummets.

I'm only on chapter 10, can anyone offer me some insight as to the weapons and how they branch off later? I've been sticking with accuracy as far as the branches go but want to know if the added effect or increased attack is where its at.

Also, how's the replayability?

I hate to say it, but I hail from the xbox camp, and I really wish this game was on the 360 so it had achievements, heh heh. Hell, I wish it was on the Xbox so that it could maybe cover more ground in the sales department. I would hate to see this game stop here just because people don't know a good strat-rpg when they see it.

For shocktroopers, the upgrades that get you larger clips are pretty good. They're nice for interception fire too because they can just keep shooting and shooting.

For my scouts and lancers, I use the weapons that the princess gives you. I gave the engineers high damage weapons since they pretty much only shoot at people if they get close up, so accuracy isn't as important. Also I stuck with range/accuracy over damage for snipers since I go for headshots exclusively.

The added effect on most guns seems pointless to me, but maybe they get better as you max them out.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']These weapons you get from the princess, how do you get them? I saw some talk of A rankings earlier, is that right?[/QUOTE]

Yep -- sometime around Chapter 11 to 13, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get weapons from B rankings too (as I found out in my last completed mission). I don't know if maybe you get better weapons with A rank or not though. The weapons I received from completing that mission were multiple copies of current weapons that I have.

I just beat this game and, it was an amazing experience. The boss battles were pretty damn challenging though. Bumping this thread up so that people who haven't read much on this game will hopefully try the demo at least :D.

I finally beat the game despite deliberately playing it slowly to make it last as long as possible. Valkyria Chronicles has been an absolutely wonderful journey -- worth every penny and then some.

It absolutely breaks my heart that this game isn't getting more recognition. I'm reading some comments regarding Gears of War 2, and how some users say the single player is the same as GoW1 and the multiplayer is so glitchy that no one plays it anymore; but yet it sells over 1 million copies easy!

I'm not knocking GoW. I just have such a hard time seeing the justice in what game succeeds and which ones fall by the wayside. Sega could certainly have done more to promote the game and several major publications/websites have given Valkyria high marks with huge "Under appreciated GoTY" flags all over it. I just wish consumers would be willing to look outside their comfort zone and take a chance for once, especially with a game like this that has received such universal praise. Another suitable example is Suikoden and Final Fantasy.

The emotions brought forth by such thoughts and realizing the game is done (until the DLC) next year makes me a sad panda. :(

One thing I will say about the ending regarding Alicia...
She was cute while playing the game, but she got really stunning during the final scene before the credits. Maybe it's because of her different hair cut, fuller figure (likely result of her being a mother), or just the fact that she's a mom (I'm anxious to have kids myself).

I also love how Sega...
Added a few more comments to each character's bio so you know what happens to each of them after the war. I

Keep in mind, while it may be getting ignored here in the US, and maybe europe, it's probably doing well in Japan. Also, even if it sells poorly to start, good PS3 exclusives have a history of selling at higher prices for longer.

Also, the game still has problems, from the weird gamey things like only being able to duck behind sandbags, inability to cover around corners, etc... Then the presentation, while it looks great, also has problems as the story is very anime, it's broken up way too much.

Collision detection, the controls and movement can be a bit wonky sometimes as well, especially when you want to move very slowly around corners. But otherwise it's such an awesome game. I'm like 50 hours in so far on my first time through (mostly cuz I idle a lot during battles though haha. I've also fallen asleep during a few battles cuz I was just too damn tired and passed out before I knew it). Still have yet to beat it. I think I'm nearing the end though.

Just finished this earlier. I thought the last mission was going to be a real pain until I realized
you can just shoot the distant towers with snipers.

The game was excellent pretty much the whole way through and I'm enjoying stomping through some of the early missions in new game + mode now.

Did anyone else not keep up with the reports? I realized probably 3/4 of the way through that I didn't purchase them all. Near the end I had a chance to buy them all, and I felt like I missed some of the story by not keeping up with them :(.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Do Rosie's report ASAP. You get a great flamethrower.[/quote]

Is it better than the one you get in the mission (I think) where you storm the beach and first get the isara smokel?

Although I probably should post this in the deals section also, those who want to get a deal on Valkyria Chronicles, might want to check their local Wal-Mart. Mine had the game marked down to $30 and had 4 copies.

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I'm looking to get back once I get a good completion in MotorStorm: PR.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although I probably should post this in the deals section also, those who want to get a deal on Valkyria Chronicles, might want to check their local Wal-Mart. Mine had the game marked down to $30 and had 4 copies.

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I'm looking to get back once I get a good completion in MotorStorm: PR.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Might have to go and check this out. Thanks.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Awesome. Might have to go and check this out. Thanks.[/QUOTE]It MIGHT be a YMMV deal, but I wanted to let everyone know just in case. My Wal-Mart only marked down two EA sports games to $30, NFS ProStreet to $10, and VC to $30. I'm curious as to whether my other locations did the same markdown (I might look).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It MIGHT be a YMMV deal, but I wanted to let everyone know just in case. My Wal-Mart only marked down two EA sports games to $30, NFS ProStreet to $10, and VC to $30. I'm curious as to whether my other locations did the same markdown (I might look).[/QUOTE]

I'll be in the area tomorrow so I'll most likely stop in and check the price.

I just realized today there was a demo for this game. I'm going to try it tonight for sure.
This game doesn't really seem to be my kind of game, but it just looks so cool. I'm more a First and Third Person Shooter type guy. I rarely enjoy RPGs. There is just something about the art style or something that really makes me want to try it. I've been watching the price of the game waiting for a drop since it didn't sell well. If I try the demo and like it, I'll pick it up for full price.

[quote name='Hoffer']I just realized today there was a demo for this game. I'm going to try it tonight for sure.
This game doesn't really seem to be my kind of game, but it just looks so cool. I'm more a First and Third Person Shooter type guy. I rarely enjoy RPGs. There is just something about the art style or something that really makes me want to try it. I've been watching the price of the game waiting for a drop since it didn't sell well. If I try the demo and like it, I'll pick it up for full price.
[/QUOTE]

You're in luck -- Valkyria Chronicles is a mixture of 3rd person action with RPG character progression. The demo really only scratches the surface of what the true game entails.

Try the demo, rent the game, and then hopefully buy it.

Well, I just tried the demo and didn't especially care for it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it enough to want to play it more.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although I probably should post this in the deals section also, those who want to get a deal on Valkyria Chronicles, might want to check their local Wal-Mart. Mine had the game marked down to $30 and had 4 copies.

I haven't played in a few weeks, but I'm looking to get back once I get a good completion in MotorStorm: PR.[/quote]

Thanks. Been looking for a deal on this game since it came out...i'll check my local walmart tomorrow.

This game is fucking amazing, it just keeps getting better and better.

Currently on Chapter 7, damn I wish I didn't have work tomorrow.

I just started playing this game a couple days ago, and I apparently suck ass. I'm on chapter 6 and I've gotten D rankings on the last two chapters.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just started playing this game a couple days ago, and I apparently suck ass. I'm on chapter 6 and I've gotten D rankings on the last two chapters.[/quote]

Nah. The ranking system is entirely based on how many turns it take you to complete the missions. Hence why a late game/new game+ Alicia scout rush can pretty much end almost every mission in 1 turn for an A rank. So unless you are having a bunch of units perma-dying you aren't doing poorly.

Personally I had more fun in the stages trying to completely destroy the entire enemy forces (of course doing that and getting an A rank is even easier/more fun to do in a new game+).

[quote name='Gillamobster']Is this game really any good? I played the demo and I just felt the control scheme didn't justify itself.[/quote]

Controlling the Edelweiss with an analog stick can be kind of awkward when you have to make sharp turns. Other than that, it isn't all that bad.

Pressing L2 or R2 to observe the area without draining how much you can advance is definitely a plus in this game.

So I'm up to...Chapter 3 now. Is it just me or does Welkin's voice change going from Chapters 2 to 3? Or did someone just kick him in the nuts 10 minutes before he started recording? I can't figure it out.

[quote name='Razzuel']This game is fucking amazing, it just keeps getting better and better.

Currently on Chapter 7, damn I wish I didn't have work tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Glad you're enjoying it so far! Chapter 7 is usually a hurdle for new players, but you've got lots of pros to help you if need be. Good luck!

[quote name='Jáden Aurora']Pressing L2 or R2 to observe the area without draining how much you can advance is definitely a plus in this game.[/QUOTE]

How did I play this game for 35 hours and not know this?

[quote name='Jáden Aurora']
Pressing L2 or R2 to observe the area without draining how much you can advance is definitely a plus in this game.[/QUOTE]

Wat.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wat.[/quote]

When you press L2 or R2 you look at the area from your character's point-of-view, enabling you to get a better look at your surroundings without aimlessly wandering and depleting your AP gauge.

[quote name='Jáden Aurora']When you press L2 or R2 you look at the area from your character's point-of-view, enabling you to get a better look at your surroundings without aimlessly wandering and depleting your AP gauge.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip... now whos the noob guys??

I have yet to start my copy but will be doing that soon.

I just beat this game, damn the gameplay is good but i didnt really like the story, i thought it was very weak. Also, thought this game was very easy especially, when you know what is going to happen after a few retries, i got almost all Bs and As. The hardest stage for me was stage 9 cause selvaria killed almost all my units. and i had to wait for her to keep killing them before the tank crashed.

[quote name='mi3nboi']I just beat this game, damn the gameplay is good but i didnt really like the story, i thought it was very weak. Also, thought this game was very easy especially, when you know what is going to happen after a few retries, i got almost all Bs and As. The hardest stage for me was stage 9 cause selvaria killed almost all my units. and i had to wait for her to keep killing them before the tank crashed.[/quote]
You're saying the game is easy because you knew what to do, after having died several times on each mission...? :whistle2:k

[quote name='arnoldhead']You're saying the game is easy because you knew what to do, after having died several times on each mission...? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol:

only some of them, most of them, i was amazed at how easy it is, just to walk right pass the enemy with caution, and get to the flag.
Also, I'm disappointing that we did not get to see or fight the federation, since they play a big part in the game's story. Also, a two player mode would of been cool, and a 3 person battle with imperial, federation, and gallia would of been good which I thought the last battle would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like VC is going budget title in Japan and joining the ranks of Greatest Hits.

vcgcbest.jpg

From Kotaku

[quote name='Kotaku']Ask anyone with eyes, they'll tell you: Valkyria of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles looks great. And now, it now only appease your pupils, but also your pockets.

On March 5, the PLAYSTATION 3 the Best version hits Japanese retailers for ¥3,330 (US$37). Buy it, your eyes will thank you.[/quote]

I believe this coincides with the release of the anime in Japan.

Personally, I prefer this cover to the US version -- save for the ugly yellow boarder. Definitely clashes with the artwork.

That's cool. I wonder when the DLC is coming out, and I hope it's good stuff (Come on, Trophy Support!), and they continue making them. It's clearly the best game Sega's done...well, post Dreamcast.

I stopped playing tonight right before the battle in Chapter 7
I'm screwed, I'm screwed, I'm screwed, I'm screwed!!!
. The last 2 battles I've definitely had trouble with, especially the last one. It took way too long. I guess I'll go do some Skirmishes to help prepare.

Hmm, I was able to beat Chapter 7 my first try, albeit there are some other chapters later on that I ended up having trouble completing the missions in.

Anyway I just beat the game! I love this game! I definitely claim this as my Game of the Year for 2008. It excels in every regard.

The ending:
was so awesome! I was watching the ending, thinking, "oh no Alicia and Welkin aren't going to make it off the Marmota!" When Leon flew in with the biplane, it just put a smile on my face. Then when I saw Welkin and Alicia's epilogue, I couldn't help but have a smile on my face again.

That is a amazing ending; usually I am not too satisfied with the ending of most games, but Valkyria Chronicles pulls through.

Oh and the US box art is far superior than the Japanese box art that was posted up above—at least in my opinion.

bread's done
Back