Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth preview

[quote name='musicnoteless']1. Tekken: Dark Ressurection
2. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Give me one more good reason to buy a PSP and I'll give in....that video was awesome.[/quote]

One more? I'll give you 5.

1. Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
2. Metal Gear Ac!d 2
3. Lumines
4. MLB '06: The Show (I know it is also on consoles, but a portable perfect port is too good to pass up.)
5. Gradius Collection

And those are just ones that are out! Check this list for upcoming titles that are sure to be awesome: http://pspupdates.qj.net/15-Most-Anticipated-PSP-Games/pg/49/aid/58390

Not on that list is Power Stone Collection, which is one of my most highly anticipated titles for the PSP.

Get one now!!! :D

[quote name='musicnoteless']1. Tekken: Dark Ressurection
2. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Give me one more good reason to buy a PSP and I'll give in....that video was awesome.[/QUOTE]

1. Lemmings
2. Lemmings (What other portable has Lemmings?)
3. Import Tales EU version
4. Gradius Collection
5. I thought I read a real Metal Gear, not a strategery Metal Gear, was coming

[quote name='b3b0p']1. Lemmings
2. Lemmings (What other portable has Lemmings?)
3. Import Tales EU version
4. Gradius Collection
5. I thought I read a real Metal Gear, not a strategery Metal Gear, was coming[/QUOTE]

1. Tales of Eternia seconded. Probably my favorite game on the system.
2. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is what you're thinking of. Yeah, it's a real Metal Gear game...
3. Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2. Just finished 2 this morning. Different from Metal Gear Solid (obviously), but surprisingly good. I enjoyed the hell out of these games.

this got portable game of the month in GI with an 8 and an 8.5. Wednesday can't get here fast enough!

Any details on the quality of the port? That's really all I'm worried about since the game's established itself as a cult classic.

[quote name='musicnoteless']If only the PSP wasn't so damn expensive....:bomb: I'd buy it for at the very most for 150 with a mem card.[/QUOTE]

$200 is not expensive. Goto Circuit City, spend $90, trade games in at Game Riush, BOOM you got yourself a PSP.

[quote name='Chacrana']Any details on the quality of the port? That's really all I'm worried about since the game's established itself as a cult classic.[/quote]

All accounts say that it is a perfect port, with added extras. Don't ask me what the extras are.

[quote name='Chacrana']Any details on the quality of the port? That's really all I'm worried about since the game's established itself as a cult classic.[/QUOTE]

They didn't say anything bad about it (besides that it might be too complex for the mass market), but they didn't mention a whole lot about the port quality. they just said that the visuals were "sharpened," that the the cutscenes were impressive and that it's a good remake. one of the reasons it lost points was because the save points are in the same place.

[quote name='Apossum']They didn't say anything bad about it (besides that it might be too complex for the mass market), but they didn't mention a whole lot about the port quality. they just said that the visuals were "sharpened," that the the cutscenes were impressive and that it's a good remake. one of the reasons it lost points was because the save points are in the same place.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... sharpened from the PS1 version or the Japanese PSP version?

Not like it's affecting my purchase decision at this point.

[quote name='the ender']All accounts say that it is a perfect port, with added extras. Don't ask me what the extras are.[/QUOTE]
how can it be a prefect port with streched background?

[quote name='62t']how can it be a prefect port with streched background?[/quote]

It is stretched. On the European version, they had to stretch it. Apparently, when they made the US version, they remastered it to fit the widescreen perfectly, without and stretching effects.

And don't say that makes it an imperfect port. That's just annoying.

[quote name='the ender']It is stretched. On the European version, they had to stretch it. Apparently, when they made the US version, they remastered it to fit the widescreen perfectly, without and stretching effects.

And don't say that makes it an imperfect port. That's just annoying.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so Square actually went in and fixed that issue? That sounds far too good to be true... but hopefully that's correct. I can't fucking wait for this game now... I was excited before, but if this port fixes some of those issues the Japanese version had...

[quote name='the ender']It is stretched. On the European version, they had to stretch it. Apparently, when they made the US version, they remastered it to fit the widescreen perfectly, without and stretching effects.

And don't say that makes it an imperfect port. That's just annoying.[/QUOTE]

So the rework to have true widescreen for the US verison? Because they didnt do it for the Japanese version.

well some reviews said there are framerate issues, but there are slowdown in the original as well. As for the sprit some say the PSOne version is clearer but it could just be difference between tv screen and psp screen.
The loading time is also faster for the PSone version.

yes. but the PS1 version will always be $100, which makes it infinitely worse ;)

[quote name='62t']So the rework to have true widescreen for the US verison? Because they didnt do it for the Japanese version.

well some reviews said there are framerate issues, but there are slowdown in the original as well. As for the sprit some say the PSOne version is clearer but it could just be difference between tv screen and psp screen.
The loading time is also faster for the PSone version.[/quote]

That is what I have been hearing. The US version was, according to Square Enix, supposed to feature reworked graphics, which many are interpreting as fixing the stretched issue. It's not definite or anything, but that's the general consensus.

I took this from Roufuss' post back on page 2 of this thread:

IGN has a new preview up... this keeps looking better and better:

Quote:

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth improves upon the game with a new widescreen presentation to take advantage of the PSP screen, as well as a new audio transfer. There's also brand new cinematics that have been included in Lenneth that highlight special or key moments of the plot, as well as reveal connections to the upcoming Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. As you unlock these new cutscenes, they'll be available in a movie gallery that is accessible from the main menu page. We've been impressed by the transfer of the original title to the PSP so far, and we're looking forward to getting farther into the story to see what the connections are between the original and the anticipated PS2 game before the PSP title hits shelves next month.

My interest for this game just shot up, all of a sudden. If Fry's has this game on sale (since I'll be going there over next weekend), I'll get it for sure. If not, still a chance I'll get it.

The review's up at IGN. 8.5.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/719/719214p1.html

Most interesting passage:

However, while this is a near-exact port with a few minor adjustments to the visual and aural presentation, Lenneth stumbles into some of the same pitfalls that a number of other ports run into. For one, there is no new gameplay content included in Lenneth that wasn't found in the original title. We're talking no new dungeons, no new items and no new warriors to recruit, amongst other potential features that could've been added to the 40+ hour title. Nor will you find a clearer explanation of some of the gameplay elements in this title, which will inevitably cause a lot of trial and error for new players who've never picked up the game. What's more, while this is a six year old game, the title still comes with a significant load times, particularly around transitions between maps and in-between battle sequences and menus. At some point in time, you'd expect that the load issue that existed in the first title would be addressed in the port, but that's not to be found in Lenneth. The same could be said for the slowdown that creeps in every now and then in the game (particularly in battle when a strong spell is cast), but that hasn't been addressed in this port either.

Similarly, while there is a beautiful 16:9 transfer to fit the PSP screen, as well as new CG cutscenes to illustrate key moments of the plot (including some hints to tie together Lenneth to the forthcoming VP2: Silmeria), the blurry and pixilated animation frames for opening certain doors or gates is somewhat detracting to the rest of the game. Fortunately, the re-mastered soundtrack and sound effects make up for some of the graphical issues.

So the screen doesn't appear as though it's been stretched, but there's a couple blurry spots. Though that may be due to the PSP's screen... we'll have to see. Remastered soundtrack and sound effects though... that definitely is a nice thing. I'm waiting for Gamespot's review as well, but it seems as though this is a better port than the Japanese version was. I can't wait to get my hands on this and I'm glad that the music is (presumably) better than the original version.

Edit: Another interesting passage:

It’s a shame that only the visual and aural aspects were bolstered in the port from the PSX to the PSP, but what is included does make those particular game elements much more appealing than they originally were.

Based on that, it would seem that Valkyrie Profile on the PSP is actually, dare I say it, better than the PS1 version.

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Based on that, it would seem that Valkyrie Profile on the PSP is actually, dare I say it, better than the PS1 version.

no its wrong b/c i payed 600 dollars for my copy k thx

;)

nice review! tagged to read the whole thing later. the problems sound inert to me. I could care less about a little loading and minor graphic blemishes...if I had time to care about those, I'd cut off my own johnson.

I'm so not sure what I wanna do. I own the PS1 version of the game, so it's not like I need to buy this one to actually play it. But the widescreen presentation and just plain old "want to support the franchise" kind of has me wanting to get Lenneth.

[quote name='karsh']I'm so not sure what I wanna do. I own the PS1 version of the game, so it's not like I need to buy this one to actually play it. But the widescreen presentation and just plain old "want to support the franchise" kind of has me wanting to get Lenneth.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the remastered sound. I dunno about everyone else, but I feel as though an RPG absolutely needs a good soundtrack because it adds a ton to the game... so I really took the remastering info as good news.

[quote name='Chacrana']Don't forget the remastered sound. I dunno about everyone else, but I feel as though an RPG absolutely needs a good soundtrack because it adds a ton to the game... so I really took the remastering info as good news.[/quote]

True, and I thought the original soundtrack was pretty damn good too.

[quote name='UncleGuito']Look on 1up, long loading times means 2-3 seconds[/QUOTE]

And isn't that about average for PS1 games? There were very few games where the menu popped up the second I hit the button.

I'm not worried one bit about loading times. Unless we're talking Smackdown-esqe load times, I could care less. I want good gameplay, which this title is sure to have. Stop being so nitpicky, ya whiny bitches.

gamebrink's review sounds awfully specific (read: nerdy and anal)

can't wait to get this tomorrow.

the exclusion of the original scenes is a bit disheartening, since players won’t be able to see the true version of VP that won so many awards back in the day.

The first and foremost apparent issue with Lenneth is the sprite filtering.

ummm...who cares?

[quote name='Apossum']gamebrink's review sounds awfully specific (read: nerdy and anal)

ummm...who cares?[/QUOTE]

That was the somewhat whiny review of the Japanese version though... stuff's been changed up for the US version apparently so it no longer applies.

Gamespot's review is up: 7.5

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/valkyrieprofilelenneth/review.html?sid=6154264

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is certainly unique in the world of role-playing games. The only problem is that it takes a lot of patience and effort to truly appreciate what the game has to offer. With lengthy story sequences, few save points, and a steep learning curve, this isn't exactly a great on-the-go game that you can play for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. But if you're looking for a different role-playing experience, and you don't mind a game that takes itself very seriously, you'll get your money's worth from Valkyrie Profile.

The only complaints I saw were the loading times (which didn't seem to be that much of an issue... just a couple of seconds for the menus to load) and that there were a few slightly blurry sprites (which is to be expected with the PSP's screen.)

[quote name='Apossum']gamebrink's review sounds awfully specific (read: nerdy and anal)

ummm...who cares?[/QUOTE]

also remember the Japanese PSOne version got reprinted. If we have the PSOne version for a discount price, we wont be looking at this port differently.

I'd still get the portable version since I don't play my ps2 as much these days. it doesn't sound like a bad port at all aside from some stuff that sounds bad in a review, but won't make a difference while actually playing the game.

[quote name='62t']also remember the Japanese PSOne version got reprinted. If we have the PSOne version for a discount price, we wont be looking at this port differently.[/QUOTE]

Do you have some kind of stock in VP? Some kind of secret cache of sealed VP PS One prints and you're worried the PSP game will devalue them?

All you've posted in this thread is straight up negativity, constantly putting the game down vs the ps one version... if you think it's going to be so bad, why do you keep reading this thread?

[quote name='Roufuss']Do you have some kind of stock in VP? Some kind of secret cache of sealed VP PS One prints and you're worried the PSP game will devalue them?

All you've posted in this thread is straight up negativity, constantly putting the game down vs the ps one version... if you think it's going to be so bad, why do you keep reading this thread?[/QUOTE]
Dont have any sealed copies. But I do think it is necessary to point out the flaws when some people are too optimistic.

[quote name='Apossum']I'd still get the portable version since I don't play my ps2 as much these days. it doesn't sound like a bad port at all aside from some stuff that sounds bad in a review, but won't make a difference while actually playing the game.[/QUOTE]

Well, lets look at the pros and cons of the PSP one so far

Pros:
- New Cinematics
- Remastered Sound
- Ties into Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria now

Cons:
- Minor loading time increases
- Occasionally blurry sprites (which is most likely due to the PSP's screen.)
- Bouts of slowdown (though it's moot given that the PS1 version had slowdown as well)

I'm seeing the PSP version coming out on top given how minor the issues are.

[quote name='62t']Dont have any sealed copies. But I do think it is necessary to point out the flaws when some people are too optimistic.[/QUOTE]

Have you played a copy for yourself, or are you just parroting what you've seen and heard on the internet about the Japanese copy?

Until you've played the US copy, all you're doing is constantly thread crapping over and over. We get your points, thank you, it seems everytime someone has something positive to say you just seem fit to crap all over the game.

I don't see anyone in this thread being "too optimistic"... everyone knows what to expect, they just don't care about the load times or the blurred graphics, except for you.

Just going to wait for you to quote Chacrana's post with more negative crap, we get it, you don't like the game.

From what I heard, not sure if it's been said or not, but there were some minor changes and improvements in the U.S. version, compared to the Japanese version, some the reviews would probably be lower for the Japanese version.

However, I put no trust in Game Brink, after giving certain games a 25/100 (Their reviews are all over the place).

[quote name='62t']Dont have any sealed copies. But I do think it is necessary to point out the flaws when some people are too optimistic.[/QUOTE]

nobody's too optimistic, we're just looking at the reviews for what they are and comparing them to how the ps1 version is. If they said something about the whole game being dropped to 15 fps, then that would be something to complain about ;)

[quote name='62t']Dont have any sealed copies. But I do think it is necessary to point out the flaws when some people are too optimistic.[/quote]

Is it even possible to be "too optimistic"? We want to see this game succeed, what's wrong with that? I am always excited when I see a game coming for the PSP that will help bolster it's library.

If anything, I'd much rather be too optimistic than overly pessimistic, like you.

[quote name='Apossum']one more hour of class to go...(on a break right now)[/QUOTE]

My mom thought it'd be a good idea to recycle the newspaper with the Fry's ad... so now I have to wait till Friday to PM... fuck.

[quote name='Chacrana']Gamespot's review is up: 7.5

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/valkyrieprofilelenneth/review.html?sid=6154264

The only complaints I saw were the loading times (which didn't seem to be that much of an issue... just a couple of seconds for the menus to load) and that there were a few slightly blurry sprites (which is to be expected with the PSP's screen.)[/QUOTE]

I believe the overall complaint and biggest detractor is that it isn't a mobile game. In other words, if you like to play console RPGs, get this. However, if you're the type that plays games in short spurts (in 10-45 minute spurts), then pass on it.

i want to get this but the guy said "if youre an impatient gamer and doesnt want to put hours leveling up, this game is not for you".

bread's done
Back