Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth preview

[quote name='trunks982']i want to get this but the guy said "if youre an impatient gamer and doesnt want to put hours leveling up, this game is not for you".[/quote]

Bro, if you are "an impatient gamer who doesn't want to put hours into leveling up", then RPGs aren't for you, period.

Which review said that? you don't even have to level up much in this game! I don't remember grinding nearly as much as in any other J-rpg.

The background music & FMV's are nice. Ill let you know about the battle system once i actually get into one (theres a mini one at the begining, then about 30 minutes of story...)

[quote name='Chacrana']gotta ask, are the backgrounds stretched out?[/quote]

They dont seem that bad to me. Looks like they tried to do a real looking 3d background, has a bit of grainyness to it, but they look pretty good.

some screenshots i took:

lenneth1.jpg
lenneth2.jpg
lenneth3.jpg
lenneth4.jpg
lenneth7.jpg

Lasty, always enter to the rear ;-)
lenneth5.jpg

Ive got the standards of the fighting mode down, you can have each character move seperately, or do a combo attack in any order. Also it seems there is a charge meter that fills up and once its full, you hit some buttons and it sets off a "limit break" attack. Pretty fun so far, kinda slow right now, but hopefully it'll pick up.

Got it, played through the first dungeon.

It's Valkyrie Profile on the PSP! No more, no less and it fucking rocks.

The sprites are blurry when the camera is closer and the frames get a little choppy at certain points when walking but it happens for like half a second. The slowdown during battle is when you are doing final spells-- like the PS1 version, I can't tell if that's a bug or if it's for dramatic effect. the menu loading is not a problem...2 secs maybe?

as i suspected, it's fine and some gamers are cry babies.

It looks like true widescreen to me. I didn't notice any stretch marks. then again, I pay closer attention to the gameplay and music and all that. I'm not all into perfect aspect ratios and the finer points of graphics on a screen, unless it fucks with the gameplay ;)

edit: seen 2 cutscenes so far, one of which is the one I posted earlier. both were quality

Awesome. I can't wait to get this... gonna PM the Fry's ad and then use a $5 RZ certificate. Though the wait isn't any easier after seeing those screenshots... god it looks awesome.

I don't give a fuck what the reviews say. In fact I don't read or pay attention to them at all. It's Valkyrie Profile and it's portable. That's all I want and need. Can't wait to pick this up, full price too!

don't worry about getting stuck with the game's features like all the reviews have been saying will happen.

you see, the game has a very innovative system for teaching you how to play it. It comes with this book that contains descriptions of each menu item and feature. I think they call it an "instruction manual."

[quote name='the ender']Bro, if you are "an impatient gamer who doesn't want to put hours into leveling up", then RPGs aren't for you, period.[/QUOTE]

well i do play mario and luigi. that is rpg. something that is tough and get stuck might be a problem to me.

Menu is stretched out...

voice acting is total ass

I want to kill myself if I have to listen to that damn voice acting....

Worst part about this game is it doesn't explain jack about how the fighting system works yet it's so frickin awkwardly strange.

Worst part about this game is it doesn't explain jack about how the fighting system works yet it's so frickin awkwardly strange.

RTFM! ;)

I'm pretty sure during the tutorial (w/ the green dress chick in the beginning), it tells you that attacks have different properties and that you have to use the practice mode in the menu to experiment with them. you just have to do the right combinations.

anyway, everyone feel free to ask any questions if they're confused about how to play. it's a very fun game once you get it down.

[quote name='Apossum']RTFM! ;)

I'm pretty sure during the tutorial (w/ the green dress chick in the beginning), it tells you that attacks have different properties and that you have to use the practice mode in the menu to experiment with them. you just have to do the right combinations.

anyway, everyone feel free to ask any questions if they're confused about how to play. it's a very fun game once you get it down.[/QUOTE]

manual didn't help too much. gamefaqs explination was a bit long winded....... Oh well at least it's better than the damn xenosaga 2 system....

it's really easy-- you basically have to guess at what the right combo is with whatever group you have. try to juggle them in mid air, and find the best way to break guard if necessary. the usual combo is magic(always breaks guard)>mid-strength>arngrim ;-) things get more complicated when you get archers (and send Arngrim, which some people don't ever do.)

[quote name='Apossum']it's really easy-- you basically have to guess at what the right combo is with whatever group you have. try to juggle them in mid air, and find the best way to break guard if necessary. the usual combo is magic(always breaks guard)>mid-strength>arngrim ;-) things get more complicated when you get archers (and send Arngrim, which some people don't ever do.)[/QUOTE]
wait a second.... that kind of does sound like xenosaga 2 -_-.................
I think i'll go finish tales of eternia first haha....

damn, even peole who bought the game are out to hate it :lol: ;)

there are some similarities I guess, but there's a lot more to it than xenosaga 2. each single weapon has its own hit properties, those hit properties change depending on the enemy's status (mid-air, knocked down, standing), there are 3 enemy types, and you change party members all the time. so it's not like xenosaga where you can figure out one combo and spam it.

and then there's the whole timing thing. depending on what weapon you have, it might take an extra second or two for the move to come out. since you're trying to get everyone to hit at once, this can get pretty tricky.

[quote name='Apossum']damn, even peole who bought the game are out to hate it :lol: ;)

there are some similarities I guess, but there's a lot more to it than xenosaga 2. each single weapon has its own hit properties, those hit properties change depending on the enemy's status (mid-air, knocked down, standing), there are 3 enemy types, and you change party members all the time. so it's not like xenosaga where you can figure out one combo and spam it.

and then there's the whole timing thing. depending on what weapon you have, it might take an extra second or two for the move to come out. since you're trying to get everyone to hit at once, this can get pretty tricky.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's a horrible game, and i'll get to it eventually. But It is a bit dissapointing considering all the hype it's gotten. If you want something positive I sure like the sprite animations ;)

Wow, this sucks. 10 hours in, i gotta start over from the begining...

This system they implemented has its good parts, but this definately is a huge negative.

(basically, theyre making me fight a boss with 360,000 hp. I can only do 1 dmg to it at a time, and she hits me for 100k-250k each time...)

[quote name='Bezerker']Wow, this sucks. 10 hours in, i gotta start over from the begining...

This system they implemented has its good parts, but this definately is a huge negative.

(basically, theyre making me fight a boss with 360,000 hp. I can only do 1 dmg to it at a time, and she hits me for 100k-250k each time...)[/quote]

I'd imagine that there is some trick to it that you are missing.

[quote name='the ender']I'd imagine that there is some trick to it that you are missing.[/quote]
Nope, apparently the people i sent werent good enough (they said to have a 50+ rating, all mine had 70+. So even though i was only in the 3rd chapter, it sent me to the "C ending" which is where you fight Freya and whether you win or lose you get a game over...

Kinda sucks, i think im gonna try the easy mode this time..

[quote name='Bezerker']Nope, apparently the people i sent werent good enough (they said to have a 50+ rating, all mine had 70+. So even though i was only in the 3rd chapter, it sent me to the "C ending" which is where you fight Freya and whether you win or lose you get a game over...

Kinda sucks, i think im gonna try the easy mode this time..[/QUOTE]

o rly? fight freya? that didn't spoil anything. ;)

anyway, you have to give them good weapons and skills as well. you can't just boost their traits high. did you forget to boost their battle skills as well? (you have to press right twice on the skills screen to get to that menu.)

[quote name='Bezerker']Nope, apparently the people i sent werent good enough (they said to have a 50+ rating, all mine had 70+. So even though i was only in the 3rd chapter, it sent me to the "C ending" which is where you fight Freya and whether you win or lose you get a game over...

Kinda sucks, i think im gonna try the easy mode this time..[/QUOTE]

So that was the ending? This game is only 10 hours long? Don't get me wrong, I acutally prefer a shorter game but for some reason I thought, with it being SquareEnix and all, that it would be much longer.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So that was the ending? This game is only 10 hours long? Don't get me wrong, I acutally prefer a shorter game but for some reason I thought, with it being SquareEnix and all, that it would be much longer.[/quote]
I guess its the failure ending, i was only on chapter 3, theres 8 chapters in the game.

And yea, all the characters were level 10, and had all their skills at lvl 1 & up.

I tried to start over on the easy setting, but i couldnt stand to sit through all those movies and dialogue. I'll wait til they put some gamesaves on the net.

what about status skills? that menu with ones like tactics, hear noise, find trap and all that.

[quote name='Apossum']what about status skills? that menu with ones like tactics, hear noise, find trap and all that.[/quote]

All lvl 1, Guess i should've followed the walkthrough. I didnt want to give up my main characters, but if i had known that i'd need to start from scratch, i would've done it.

I am about to finnish ToE tonight and start VP:L tonight.
Bez if there is something regarding your problem you can tell me about b4 I start that will help me later in the game please do so.... w/o spoilers. hehe

Uhm, well anytime u get an artifact after beating a dungeon, give it back to odin. Keeping it for yourself lowers your rank (and apparently its worse than you'd think). As far as my other problem with sending people to Valhalla, you may want to check the guide on Gamefaqs.

[quote name='Bezerker']All lvl 1, Guess i should've followed the walkthrough. I didnt want to give up my main characters, but if i had known that i'd need to start from scratch, i would've done it.[/QUOTE]

yeah, they needed to be much higher than level one. the "D.Skills" section is the main part of levelling up in the game. you get some stuff from regular levelling, but you have to spend experience points to get stronger attacks and stuff like that. and you only need to send one person with good traits each chapter.

Also, you don't have to send back Odin's artifacts. If you send someone with a high hero value, good traits and a full set of weapons, you make up for it in your rating.

Well... I got it. Ima watch an episode of some random anime first (I have too much I still haven't opened from the DDD sale...) and then I'll try it out.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Is it worth buying if I already have the PS version? Anybody?[/quote]

Several people are selling their PS1 copy on eBay for $100+, and then buying this. You still have the game, plus extra cash.

[quote name='the ender']Several people are selling their PS1 copy on eBay for $100+, and then buying this. You still have the game, plus extra cash.[/QUOTE]

Plus new cinematics to tie this and VP: Silmeria together.

So anyone got a gamesave they wouldnt mind sending me (preferably around the 3rd chapter)? I really dont have the patience to sit another 10 hours through the game.

The voices in this game are murder. I've already spotted Misty & Ash from pokemon...

[quote name='crazytalkx']Is it worth buying if I already have the PS version? Anybody?[/QUOTE]I'm buying it, although I have the PS1 version. If I had a valid credit/debit card, I would have signed up on ebay to sell and got rid of my PS1 version. I like VP on PS1, but didn't get too far (due to getting the game late for PS1). I'll play it more on PSP though.

I just got past the prologue and I haven't noticed any real loading... it takes 1... maybe 2 seconds to load a battle and that's it and the PS1 version wasn't much better in that regard. The graphics look really good and they don't appear stretched which is nice. While I did notice that sprites can look slightly blurry up close, it's the same deal as with literally every other 2D game on the PSP. The screen is what gives the game that effect and it's really not that bad. While my memory of the PS1 version is limited (since I didn't play that much of it), I do think that the music here does sound like it was remastered as it sounds a little less PS1-ish (if that makes any sense) in a good way.

So yeah, I'm damn happy with this.

Those with issues with the FW upgrade should check out all the newest firmware tricks so you dont have to upgrade. hint* Devhook!

I got this game on my mem stick, load times are nothing much.

Alright, I've put a good 2 hours into this and... I fucking love it. It's great. But I'm still confused on a couple of the things in battle. Namely, how do I get to 'Purify Weird Soul?'

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm really impressed by the CG animation for stuff like opening a door or a gate or making a pillar crumble... I didn't notice any of the garbled graphics or distortion that you always get in PS1 games... it looked seamless.

[quote name='Chacrana']Alright, I've put a good 2 hours into this and... I fucking love it. It's great. But I'm still confused on a couple of the things in battle. Namely, how do I get to 'Purify Weird Soul?'

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm really impressed by the CG animation for stuff like opening a door or a gate or making a pillar crumble... I didn't notice any of the garbled graphics or distortion that you always get in PS1 games... it looked seamless.[/quote]

The Purify Weird soul thing happened to me only when i had all 4 characters attack at once.

[quote name='Chacrana']Alright, I've put a good 2 hours into this and... I fucking love it. It's great. But I'm still confused on a couple of the things in battle. Namely, how do I get to 'Purify Weird Soul?'

[/QUOTE]

certain combos do it...it all depends on what weapons you use, whose in your party and how you hit the guy. notice there's a meter that goes up when you hit them, when that hits 100, you get a PWS.

man, I forgot how much I love this game... it's so different from any other game out there. and there are tons of stats to geek out over. VP2 is gonna be even better!

[quote name='Apossum']certain combos do it...it all depends on what weapons you use, whose in your party and how you hit the guy. notice there's a meter that goes up when you hit them, when that hits 100, you get a PWS.

man, I forgot how much I love this game... it's so different from any other game out there. and there are tons of stats to geek out over. VP2 is gonna be even better![/QUOTE]

It got a really good review score in Famitsu and the guy at Gamebrink who reviewed it gave it like a 98 or something obscene. This is probably the best RPG year we've seen in a long time... 2 VPs... damn.

Well the game rocks or atleast the story does so far. I am confused about much of the games menu systems and battle mechanics but thats what you get w/o a guide.

bread's done
Back