Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth preview

check out gamefaqs and read up a bit or else you'll have to start over after 10 hours like Bezerker ;) seriously, it doesn't progress like a regular RPG...there are lots of little things you have to keep track of.

Geez, I've had this game since it came out and haven't even played it yet... I just don't have the time to dedicate to it. Might as well take it back to the store.

[quote name='Roufuss']Geez, I've had this game since it came out and haven't even played it yet... I just don't have the time to dedicate to it. Might as well take it back to the store.[/QUOTE]It's because you've been playing a lot of XBL lately. :p

Anyway, I just got the game, but haven't played it yet. I probably won't play it until mid-week, since I'm extremely busy right now. :(

[quote name='Milkyman']if you people watch the 7/14 1up show, milkman and jay bitch the shit out of shane for his score

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/4600[/QUOTE]
Wow, after watching that I really don't like Shane now.

He made a few good points about his 6.5 score, but it sounds like Valkyrie Profile should have gotten higher than that.

He also said a lot of stupid things during that show, one of which being "I dont play Tekken, I play REAL fighting games"

I cant figure out all the points on the map. Like I did the listen thing and then went to some sad story about (not going to spoiling it) so I will say a sailor. Then at the end Valkyrie complained about not doing this type of thing and I didnt get my next dude.

Then I listened again and it came up to a cave of oblivion where I got my ass kicked fast.

I really need to finish up Legend Of Heroes so that I can start this game. I promised myself I would finish it before I started a new PSP game, but I didn't realize how long it was going to take!

[quote name='BREVITY']I cant figure out all the points on the map. Like I did the listen thing and then went to some sad story about (not going to spoiling it) so I will say a sailor. Then at the end Valkyrie complained about not doing this type of thing and I didnt get my next dude.

Then I listened again and it came up to a cave of oblivion where I got my ass kicked fast.[/QUOTE]

you checked your party and all that and he wasn't there? must be a twist in the story or something...what chapter are you in?

It should be pretty linear-- the listen thing, get a new member, listen thing again, dungeon, etc. etc.

Ok I did in fact have the runt in my group. sry

But I get OMG owned in the Cave of Oblivion right at the start of the game... where you do your second listening. I mean the dudes are doing like 4000 dmg on me.

[quote name='Roufuss']Geez, I've had this game since it came out and haven't even played it yet... I just don't have the time to dedicate to it. Might as well take it back to the store.[/QUOTE]
The game will last for years and years. Why are you in a rush to play it? Hell, you could play it in 1, 2, 10 or more years later if you like.

I ordered mine from Amazon on Launch (and preordered the guide there too), and it still has not arrived. Oh well, I'll live. I have plenty of other games to play in the mean time.

I got the game last week at Fry's and can't stop playing it during my free time. The best part about this is that I get to bring this on the go with me (thanks to the wonderful sleep button). The guides on Gamefaqs are a great help when deciding what to do.

As for the Caves of Oblivion, I'm just avoiding those. I walked in there once and got owned so fast. I might try again soon just to see how far I can fight with these guys.

Over Easy:
Thanks for the heads up on GameFaqs, I see that its a guide to the first version which is fine of course. I thought it was lacking as to saying what I need to upgrade and at what times. I wanted to know which items had priority.

In general I love this game b/c its so dam melancholy. I love that type of morose stuff, whether in games or anima or movies.

The guide is still pegged as coming out 7/31 - http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=831968

Seems like alot of people would benefit from a guide.

Here is the ISBN for the book, let's hope it actually comes out:

074400828X

Clocks in at 176 pages... Bradygames dosen't even list it on their site, but alot of other sites do, so lets hope its not vaporware and it actually does come out, because it's shipping pretty late.

[quote name='Roufuss']The guide is still pegged as coming out 7/31 - http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=831968

Seems like alot of people would benefit from a guide.

Here is the ISBN for the book, let's hope it actually comes out:

074400828X

Clocks in at 176 pages... Bradygames dosen't even list it on their site, but alot of other sites do, so lets hope its not vaporware and it actually does come out, because it's shipping pretty late.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'm going to finish the game before the guide even comes out.

The game is getting tougher when I decided to try for ending A. Tower of Lezard is ridiculous. It's not fun when you have to face any combination of dragon-bone warriors and wise sorcerer/fatal glimmer.

I just got this, and waiting for my PSP to come in. Can't wait to play it. I gotta beat it before the second one comes out on PS2. I must!

[quote name='Roufuss']Bradygames dosen't even list it on their site, but alot of other sites do, so lets hope its not vaporware and it actually does come out, because it's shipping pretty late.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the term vaporware applies to books, so allow me to coin a new term: vaporback.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't think the term vaporware applies to books, so allow me to coin a new term: vaporback.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Finally think I figured out the game to some degree. Made it past the hard ass Oblivion Cave last night and got all people to lvl 9, also started the next chapter or whatever, I sent up one dude to be a hero. I got like a core group I fight with and then I give all my extra orb points to the other people not in party and so far thats enough to get me through. My mage is total kickass, she can take out everyone on screen with one spell now. Woot.

Also I keep all items and send nothing to Odin.

While Tales of Eternia (beat it before starting VP:L) had more depth and lots of appeal on its own lvl, this game so far is just super fun. I am playing it more than any other game right now.

I finally played the game and I love it. I didn't think it would amaze me now, due to owning the PS1 version, but it still did. The intro felt longer than the PS1 version IMO. I absolutely love the new CG Cinemas. Very stunning and look great on PSP. This will definitely become my most played PSP game.

The game seems to be doing well on PSP. And if that's the case, hopefully it will allow other RPGs to come stateside.

So I'm stuck at the last dungeon. I got up to Bloodbane and kept getting killed by him. I can't even get him below 40% DME, and when I get close, he heals. This is getting too frustrating...

It might be partly my fault since I accidently move onto the last part without going to the last dungeon in chapter 8.

So, does anyone have any tips? I tried the Auto-item and Guts and the Might Reinforce and Sap Guard combo, but it's not working well enough since Bloodbane seem to get stronger every turn.

If you dont care about cheating, Ps2nfo has a really nice trainer up for download.

Its called the Ragnarok trainer (in case you dont want to/cant get it at ps2nfo).

Also, Bloodbane is an optional boss, you dont have to face him if you dont want to.

Another addition to the topic of VA's for this game. I looked it up on IMDB and it seems that it was done by 4kids (Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon, TMNT, etc). I guess we came out lucky that 4kids wasnt in charge of the rest of the game...

I finally finished up Legend Of Heroes and started playing Lenneth last night. Not quite sure I understand the battle system yet, but I'm sure I'll catch on a little more once I actually have fought a few more.

And I have to get used to the fuzzy effect that this game has. It's playing tricks on my eyes after having played Legend Of Heroes for so long and being accustomed to that graphic style.

[quote name='Bezerker']If you dont care about cheating, Ps2nfo has a really nice trainer up for download.

Its called the Ragnarok trainer (in case you dont want to/cant get it at ps2nfo).

Also, Bloodbane is an optional boss, you dont have to face him if you dont want to.

Another addition to the topic of VA's for this game. I looked it up on IMDB and it seems that it was done by 4kids (Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon, TMNT, etc). I guess we came out lucky that 4kids wasnt in charge of the rest of the game...[/QUOTE]

I was going for the ending A, so Bloodbane wasn't optional. However, I was able to beat him after my 10th try. He cast around 6-7 gravity blessing before he went down, and I got really lucky with his gravity blessing and guts. And I went on to beat the game easily after Bloodbane (the final boss was a piece of cake).

Well, time to try hard mode after I take a break from this.

I got my guide today from Amazon. Nothing special. A little larger then your average guide, but not as big as Star Ocean. Has a picture of the upcoming PS2 sequel towards the back pages.

Man...I got this a couple weeks ago but my time has been retaken over by Monster Hunter Freedom. Hopefully I'll be able to put some more time in VP:L sometime soon.

[quote name='b3b0p']I got my guide today from Amazon. Nothing special. A little larger then your average guide, but not as big as Star Ocean. Has a picture of the upcoming PS2 sequel towards the back pages.[/QUOTE]

wtf, the guide is real?

Oh shit, it is... I wonder when it came out, because GS pulled it off the website the day it was supposed to ship.

Does it have full on item / monster lists and all the kind of shit one needs for a complex game like this?

It's barely available at any EB's / GS's around here... I might make a trek and pick it up.

[quote name='karsh']Man...I got this a couple weeks ago but my time has been retaken over by Monster Hunter Freedom. Hopefully I'll be able to put some more time in VP:L sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I was playing Lenneth for quite a while and then picked up Field Commander and have been playing that and not touching Lenneth. Unlike a lot of the PSP games, Lenneth isn't the type of game that works well with an hour or less of playtime.

[quote name='Roufuss']wtf, the guide is real?

Oh shit, it is... I wonder when it came out, because GS pulled it off the website the day it was supposed to ship.

Does it have full on item / monster lists and all the kind of shit one needs for a complex game like this?

It's barely available at any EB's / GS's around here... I might make a trek and pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the guide is real, I just got done looking through it to answer your questions the best I could. It came out on the 31st I believe.

Regarding you questions, I'm not sure...
Roufuss, you'll have to be more specific. I have not played this game or even turned it on yet, so I don't understand everything that is listed. It does have appendices with all monsters, items, weapons, magic, skills, etc. I guess there are 3 difficulty levels it looks like. Each appendices lists nice details about each item, weapon, magic, skill, etc.

I can look tomorrow night if you want and give more details once someone tells me what I'm looking for or what.

[quote name='b3b0p']Yes, the guide is real, I just got done looking through it to answer your questions the best I could. It came out on the 31st I believe.

Regarding you questions, I'm not sure...
Roufuss, you'll have to be more specific. I have not played this game or even turned it on yet, so I don't understand everything that is listed. It does have appendices with all monsters, items, weapons, magic, skills, etc. I guess there are 3 difficulty levels it looks like. Each appendices lists nice details about each item, weapon, magic, skill, etc.

I can look tomorrow night if you want and give more details once someone tells me what I'm looking for or what.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's cool, just the fact that it exists means I'll pick it up today. Only two EB / GS's out of 22 stores in a 50 mile radius even have the guide in stock, the rest are supposedly receiving more, but if the guide really did come out on the 31st who knows when they'll get a copy of the guide.

Guess, I gotta go searching for this guide tonight. I've been asking at every EB/GS for the last two weeks if they had it, so hopefully they just received it within the last couple of days.

[quote name='shipwreck']Guess, I gotta go searching for this guide tonight. I've been asking at every EB/GS for the last two weeks if they had it, so hopefully they just received it within the last couple of days.[/QUOTE]

Check the store locator, some other stores near me just received 1 - 3 copies today, so I guess they came in yesterday.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=831955

It took me just over 20 hours to beat, cus I take forever to beat games these days. And the guide on Gamefaqs was a good help when I needed it for the A ending. I wouldnt waste money on the guide man.

[quote name='BREVITY']It took me just over 20 hours to beat, cus I take forever to beat games these days. And the guide on Gamefaqs was a good help when I needed it for the A ending. I wouldnt waste money on the guide man.[/QUOTE]

I'm not only getting the guide for a walkthrough (I'm not a fan of GameFAQs) but also because I suspect this is one of those guides that well either a) hold it's value or b) go up in value, espically since it's released so late after the game has hit and EB / GS is just now getting it in.

[quote name='BREVITY']It took me just over 20 hours to beat, cus I take forever to beat games these days. And the guide on Gamefaqs was a good help when I needed it for the A ending. I wouldnt waste money on the guide man.[/quote]

I must take forever to beat games then because I'm only on Chapter 3 and I've put around 15 hours in I think. And as Roufuss said, I'm buying this as both a guide and a collector's item.

[quote name='BREVITY']It took me just over 20 hours to beat, cus I take forever to beat games these days. And the guide on Gamefaqs was a good help when I needed it for the A ending. I wouldnt waste money on the guide man.[/QUOTE]
I hate GameFAQs with a passion, well, maybe not that much, but 100% of the guides that I have used on there I swear aren't even in English. $10 for a book is cheap ass, especially when they approach 300 pages and are helpful and you actually open them ($125+ College Text vs $10 Game Guide with neato pictures).

The guide is decent... it could have held a bit more information, and it probably could have been a signature series guide very easily, but it's good for what it is and has some decent artwork.

No techniques to beat the hidden bosses is kind of lame, though.... it just kind of tells you they are there.

[quote name='Roufuss']The guide is decent... it could have held a bit more information, and it probably could have been a signature series guide very easily, but it's good for what it is and has some decent artwork.

No techniques to beat the hidden bosses is kind of lame, though.... it just kind of tells you they are there.[/quote]

I bought it up today and glanced through it. I can already tell that it's going to be helpful for me as this game has me asking "Now what is this item for" or "What does this attribute do" a lot, and the guide seems to give me a better idea of what stuff in the game actually is for. It gives me a much clearer grasp on what exactly the mechanics of the game are.

I like the artwork as well, so that's a plus.

[quote name='shipwreck']I bought it up today and glanced through it. I can already tell that it's going to be helpful for me as this game has me asking "Now what is this item for" or "What does this attribute do" a lot, and the guide seems to give me a better idea of what stuff in the game actually is for. It gives me a much clearer grasp on what exactly the mechanics of the game are.

I like the artwork as well, so that's a plus.[/QUOTE]

I haven't yet played the game, but yea, the appendice's in the back are thorough and look to be helpful. Now that I have the guide I think I'll crack open and play the game... I don't have time these days to be wandering around not knowing wtf I'm doing in a game.

The guides are super when you don't have time and have to take a break from a game like this. It is easy to remember where you are or where things are located or where you were headed. If I tried to do that with a GameFAQ, it's painful.

I have to admit, I don't play this game much, but when I do, it's for a few hours straight :) great game for a stat whore!

was sort of sad, i thought i wouldnt be getting this game from gamefly till Thursday and then WHAM it ended up in my mailbox on tuesday, sadly though i just could never get into the game (disgaea 2 is taking up all my time)

maybe if the game falls to 20 bucks or under new i will give it another shot.

got it tuesday played it for around hour. 20 mins on weds and never tonight. going to probally stick it back in the mail tomorrow : (

i liked it alot more on the ps1 (maybe its due to the small screen)

[quote name='slidecage']was sort of sad, i thought i wouldnt be getting this game from gamefly till Thursday and then WHAM it ended up in my mailbox on tuesday, sadly though i just could never get into the game (disgaea 2 is taking up all my time)

maybe if the game falls to 20 bucks or under new i will give it another shot.

got it tuesday played it for around hour. 20 mins on weds and never tonight. going to probally stick it back in the mail tomorrow : (

i liked it alot more on the ps1 (maybe its due to the small screen)[/QUOTE]

Wishful thinking there, seeing how the PSOne orignal is still netting $100++ on the Bay.

I just picked up the guide today, here's hoping it'll sky rocket in value a few years from now.

bread's done
Back