Victorious Boxers 2 Available Now $9.99

The game was apparently released in Europe last year and it's only now coming to the US. Here is a review of the European version (hard to know for sure if it would be the same exact localization as US version, though).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60356

And here is the publisher's site, showing a MSRP of 19.99 pounds, which I'm guessing would usually translate to something like $29.99 (although a straight currency conversion would get you closer to $39.99). So either this is a price mistake or the publishers have decided that the only way they are going to sell very many of these is to make it a bargain-basement title (certainly a possibility).

http://www.xplosiv.net/default.aspx?MID=28FC28810784&PID=31B9497B-275A-4869-84AA-AFC2B67D8AD5

[quote name='bmarquardt']box art

B000EMRVJC.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59078224_.jpg
[/QUOTE]
thats the PAL version, I am gussing the US cover will be different. Hopefully it will be more similar to the Jpn version

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-40-49-en-15-Hajime+no+Ippo+All+Stars-70-ck9.html

[quote name='Jirotrom,']hmmm... the box doesnt say all stars. Maybe we will get victorious road.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think this is going to be Victorious Boxers 2: Victory Road. The European reviews seem to point toward that game instead of "allstars".

Anyway, I decided to pre-order it. With Buy.com saying that it will ship 11/1/06 and also selling it at $9.99, I think that this could be really happening.

From the review I linked:

The name suggests that it's Hajime no Ippo 2: Victorious Road, a handsome-looking boxing title with branching storylines and a boxer-training facility. In actual fact, it seems to be that game's predecessor, Hajime no Ippo - The Fighting! All Stars, which doesn't seem to branch and doesn't mention training at all.

No no.. this is definately all stars. They just renamed it differently here. Even tho VB2 had the awesome career mode, All-Stars has upgraded gameplay. The hit detection is spot on compared to the previous games. I can't wait until I get to slo mo counter all my opponents to death.. JOLT BABY JOLT.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']No no.. this is definately all stars. They just renamed it differently here. Even tho VB2 had the awesome career mode, All-Stars has upgraded gameplay. The hit detection is spot on compared to the previous games. I can't wait until I get to slo mo counter all my opponents to death.. JOLT BABY JOLT.[/QUOTE]

Which one has all the cool characters, like the knock-offs from Punch-out and real world boxers? All-Stars or VB2?

[quote name='MadFlava']Which one has all the cool characters, like the knock-offs from Punch-out and real world boxers? All-Stars or VB2?[/QUOTE]

Both games have cool characters. :D But VB2 has the punchout and real world boxers in the career mode. The one that the US is getting, should be all-stars as that was the one the UK territories recieved last year. Don't let the characters prevent you from getting this game. It has some amazing boxing.

***question for those who have preordered at gamestop.com before***

when you preorder and get the free value shiping using the codes, do you get the game the day it would be in stores, or do you have to wait an extra 5-10 days?

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']Both games have cool characters. :D But VB2 has the punchout and real world boxers in the career mode. The one that the US is getting, should be all-stars as that was the one the UK territories recieved last year. Don't let the characters prevent you from getting this game. It has some amazing boxing.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered it, I figure for $10 and delivered free I was worth giving it a shot. I've really haven't been a fan of boxing with real fighters in it like Fight Night. My favorite boxing games have been Punch-Out, Super Punch-Out, Buster Douglas Boxing, and Rocky for the Sega Master system... LOL. Yeah it's been a while since I've played a boxing game.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']***question for those who have preordered at gamestop.com before***

when you preorder and get the free value shiping using the codes, do you get the game the day it would be in stores, or do you have to wait an extra 5-10 days?[/QUOTE]

anyone know the answer to this?

[quote name='MadFlava']I pre-ordered it, I figure for $10 and delivered free I was worth giving it a shot. I've really haven't been a fan of boxing with real fighters in it like Fight Night. My favorite boxing games have been Punch-Out, Super Punch-Out, Buster Douglas Boxing, and Rocky for the Sega Master system... LOL. Yeah it's been a while since I've played a boxing game.[/QUOTE]

WOW. I've found another fan of Rocky for the Master System. Please tell me did you ever beat Drago? I called Sega they said get over 60 in the training mode. I got my cousin's rapid fire controller and got 80. Yet I still couldn't beat that steroid freak. Man he is probably the hardest boss that few people know about.

[quote name='DealHunter']WOW. I've found another fan of Rocky for the Master System. Please tell me did you ever beat Drago? I called Sega they said get over 60 in the training mode. I got my cousin's rapid fire controller and got 80. Yet I still couldn't beat that steroid freak. Man he is probably the hardest boss that few people know about.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I am a fan too.

Btw, it is not hard to beat drago... Because he is basically IMPOSSIBLE unless you get over 7 (something per second) in the 2nd training session (where you are hitting a speed bag). It was so hard but doable without a turbo controller, I remember when my brother and I was able to get 7 in that training and then, Drago becomes a joke because you are faster than him.

So try it out on an emulator, with the turbo button. You will own Drago so hard, and the game is so shallow hehe since it only has 3 fighters.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']anyone know the answer to this?[/quote]

You're going to get it 5-10 days later. If you got it day 1 why the heck would they even have different shipping options? o_o

Well, some companies do ship preorders before the release date so they will arrive around the street date, but I wouldn't count on that. If my experience with EBgames is any indication, they may even wait until several days after the street date to ship some titles.

This review is incorrect:
The name suggests that it's Hajime no Ippo 2: Victorious Road, a handsome-looking boxing title with branching storylines and a boxer-training facility. In actual fact, it seems to be that game's predecessor, Hajime no Ippo - The Fighting! All Stars, which doesn't seem to branch and doesn't mention training at all.

All Stars is the sequel to Victorious Road, not the predecessor.

Which one has all the cool characters, like the knock-offs from Punch-out and real world boxers? All-Stars or VB2?

If this is what your buying decision is based on, you won't like the series at all.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I tempted to get this only becuase it's cheap and you're all raving about it.[/QUOTE]

Im in because of all the good praise

[quote name='DealHunter']WOW. I've found another fan of Rocky for the Master System. Please tell me did you ever beat Drago? I called Sega they said get over 60 in the training mode. I got my cousin's rapid fire controller and got 80. Yet I still couldn't beat that steroid freak. Man he is probably the hardest boss that few people know about.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was able to beat Drago once back in 1989. As paean said, it depends on the training you do before you take on Clubber Lang. I remember as a 6th grader finally figureing out that the training sessions actually had an effect on Rocky's ability in the following fights. It's been so long since I did it, I don't remembe the numbers but if you really did well on the that training session, you became really fast and could outpunch Drago. I still think it was basically impossible to train your guy to hit as hard as Drago but with speed you could land a ton of punches on him before he winds up one of his big shots. Oh the ending of Rocky is here:

(Spoilers)
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/mastersystem/a/rocky.htm

Two Quick questions....

Does EB/Gamestop send their preorders sealed? I've ordered "NEW" games from them before and I really believe they may have been used. If I make a preorder there should be no excuse for the game to be busted open with scratches everywhere.

Secondly, which one of the two is better to make the preorder with EB or Gamestop?

Thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know that honestly allstars is superior in every way to victorious boxers 2. the only thing VB2 has going for it are the career mode and cool characters.

The actual boxing mechanics feel so much better in allstars which is the version we are getting.

ive never heard of these games but im buying it cuz it seems cool. And thus my love/hate relationship with CAG continues...

[quote name='toneroni']ive never heard of these games but im buying it cuz it seems cool. And thus my love/hate relationship with CAG continues...[/quote]

I find them way more fun than the fight night games. It would be great if they had real boxers for the people who have never seen the anime but if you can get hold of Hajime no ippo its a pretty inspiring show.
The game itself is pretty amazing...the only thing missing are clicnches...but clinches slow down gameplay anyway. It would be nice to have a hardcare simulation mode in allstars ala victorious road but oh well.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']this will easily be the best budget title since Katamari Damacy.[/quote]The biggest problem is...VIVENDI.

They have a reputation that's almost as bad as EA's. They screwed up their latest budget "Sierra" adventure game compilations, so we can only hope they don't screw up here too.

[quote name='B:L']The biggest problem is...VIVENDI.

They have a reputation that's almost as bad as EA's. They screwed up their latest budget "Sierra" adventure game compilations, so we can only hope they don't screw up here too.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how they could screw it up. I mean, they didn't make it, ESP Kodansha did in Japan. It's pretty much just a port.

I find it ridiculous how long its taken this to get hear. It was already translated to english when done in the pal version.

I find it ridiculous how long its taken this to get hear. It was already translated to english when done in the pal version.

It's probably due to licensing issues and possibly profitability issues since VB1 didn't sell so well here.

Odd, so I went to Gamestop B&M to preorder, and they said that it is unavailable to preorder. It's not out yet, but no reserve is available. Also gamerush doesn't even have this game in their system. I'll try gamecrazy today, as someone has said they've had success there.

I asked how much the game would cost.Employee said 9.99. I put a deposit for two,might be a hidden gem of a game since perhaps this will be not massed produced. I also asked when the release date was and he checked the release date list and stated it will come out on Nov.2.I guess their stores get releases later than everyone else.I dunno.I do look forward to the game.I am not into boxing much because of EA's Boxing games,but this game reminds me of the old PunchOut game but in 3D.

[quote name='Jirotrom,']I find it ridiculous how long its taken this to get hear. It was already translated to english when done in the pal version.[/QUOTE]

There is a long history of games like this - esp on the PS1. If the game does not fit the local strategy for release, then it will not be seen.

Some examples of games never seen in the US, but seen elsewhere:

Kengo 2 -- PS2, UK release with English localization. Crave had the US license but never published it

Intelligent Qube Final -- PS1, UK English language release

Vib-Ribbon -- PS1 localized for the UK, but never brought to the US

Shaolin -- PS1 THQ martial arts brawler that allowed up to 8 people play at once

Shinobido: Way of the Ninja -- PS2 UK English release by the creators of the original Tenchu

That's just scratching the surface. Often, the games just aren't good, or in the case of the Victorious Boxers series are very niche. Publishers like Agetec, Atlus, and Mastiff sometimes pick these games up -- they specialize in doing English localizations of niche games.

If u want to make it easier to see games like Victorious Boxers in the US, then vote with your wallet during the first couple of weeks of release, which are the most critical money earning times for a game. For a game to really suceed, it has to sell out of its initial order iin the first couple of months, and get a reorder placed by the stores. Recent success stories include the Phoenix Wright series, and the original Way of the Samurai. Publishers like Agetec, Atlus, and MAstiff are really our only hopes for some of these more interesting titles. BAM! went belly up, and Agetec has been unually quiet these past few months -- hopefully Agetec can come out swinging with the next gen Armored Core, if someone like Sega does not snag it up first.

This is the Catch-22 of being a CAG -- u tend to be more game literate, appreciate the obscure stuff, and u wait for the price drops -- but by the time the price does drops, the publisher may have already lost a good chance to turn a risky release into a winner. The price is dropping because the title does not have shelf life and is being booted for the next EA sports title.

Agetec had a string of niche releases a couple of years ago with titles like "Echo Night Beyond", "Kuon", and a "Wild Arms" title, but how many did u see in the local EB at their release? Sometimes Zero, or maybe 2. There are a few floating aorund in their now, having been traded from ebay, or the few big box retailers who carried them (not Walmart on those however), but by the time u see used at the game store, the publisher has already made whatever money they could make.

[quote name='actionpotential']I asked how much the game would cost.Employee said 9.99. I put a deposit for two,might be a hidden gem of a game since perhaps this will be not massed produced. I also asked when the release date was and he checked the release date list and stated it will come out on Nov.2.I guess their stores get releases later than everyone else.I dunno.I do look forward to the game.I am not into boxing much because of EA's Boxing games,but this game reminds me of the old PunchOut game but in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Ya... if you're hoping this is going to be like a 3d punchout, you're gonna have a hard time with this game. This game is very simulation oriented. Don't expect to throw 100+ punches everyround. Your boxer will deteroriate throughout the match, and there are no clues to what the opponent will throw next like in the punch out!! series. It is a very sim oriented game, with a few unreal manuevers (ie slo-mo counters, sawamura's bullet jab, hayami's shotgun punches). The learning curve is also steep compared to fight night. I hope you enjoy the game tho, it's probably the only game I've been waiting for release besides Phoenix Wright 2.

Bad news update:

GameInformer does not list any release date for Victorious Boxers 2 in this month's magazine. I guess it'll give me some time to play Budokai Tenkaichi 2.

[quote name='donssword']There is a long history of games like this - esp on the PS1. If the game does not fit the local strategy for release, then it will not be seen.

Some examples of games never seen in the US, but seen elsewhere:

Kengo 2 -- PS2, UK release with English localization. Crave had the US license but never published it

Intelligent Qube Final -- PS1, UK English language release

Vib-Ribbon -- PS1 localized for the UK, but never brought to the US

Shaolin -- PS1 THQ martial arts brawler that allowed up to 8 people play at once

Shinobido: Way of the Ninja -- PS2 UK English release by the creators of the original Tenchu

That's just scratching the surface. Often, the games just aren't good, or in the case of the Victorious Boxers series are very niche. Publishers like Agetec, Atlus, and Mastiff sometimes pick these games up -- they specialize in doing English localizations of niche games.

If u want to make it easier to see games like Victorious Boxers in the US, then vote with your wallet during the first couple of weeks of release, which are the most critical money earning times for a game. For a game to really suceed, it has to sell out of its initial order iin the first couple of months, and get a reorder placed by the stores. Recent success stories include the Phoenix Wright series, and the original Way of the Samurai. Publishers like Agetec, Atlus, and MAstiff are really our only hopes for some of these more interesting titles. BAM! went belly up, and Agetec has been unually quiet these past few months -- hopefully Agetec can come out swinging with the next gen Armored Core, if someone like Sega does not snag it up first.

This is the Catch-22 of being a CAG -- u tend to be more game literate, appreciate the obscure stuff, and u wait for the price drops -- but by the time the price does drops, the publisher may have already lost a good chance to turn a risky release into a winner. The price is dropping because the title does not have shelf life and is being booted for the next EA sports title.

Agetec had a string of niche releases a couple of years ago with titles like "Echo Night Beyond", "Kuon", and a "Wild Arms" title, but how many did u see in the local EB at their release? Sometimes Zero, or maybe 2. There are a few floating aorund in their now, having been traded from ebay, or the few big box retailers who carried them (not Walmart on those however), but by the time u see used at the game store, the publisher has already made whatever money they could make.[/QUOTE]

A few Europe publisher like 505 Game Street, Essential Games and Rising Star (actually own by Marvelous) specialize in niche or lesser knwon games

Yea it is very important to pre order this to show support.

[quote name='nintendokid']Bad news update:

GameInformer does not list any release date for Victorious Boxers 2 in this month's magazine. I guess it'll give me some time to play Budokai Tenkaichi 2.[/QUOTE]

Ya that doesn't suprise me, I don't think gameinformer would of listed that game anyways. Gamefaqs does have it on their coming soon list though.

Agetec had a string of niche releases a couple of years ago with titles like "Echo Night Beyond"

Echo Night is an AWESOME series. Part 2 never came out here, but 1 and Beyond did, both excellent, niche games.

I'm amazed by the support that other CAG's have been giving this game, by preordering it. That's awesome. Tell a friend. I would love to see future incarnations of the series to come stateside.

well after reading 5 pages is enough for me to go pick up this game.i need something new because fight night put me to sleep after i finished it....i know this sounds ultra silly but i thought 3 count bout for the NEo Geo was somehow related to the anime...dont ask.

A sequel to a well-received game at a bargain price? Definitely getting it, though for 2 bucks, getting the original isn't out of the question right now.

[quote name='nintendokid']Bad news update:

GameInformer does not list any release date for Victorious Boxers 2 in this month's magazine. I guess it'll give me some time to play Budokai Tenkaichi 2.[/QUOTE]

Game Informer is sent to press weeks in advance, I believe, so if this was a recent announcement it makes sense that it wouldn't be on there.

bread's done
Back