Victorious Boxers 2 Available Now $9.99

My bad. I don't know why I wrote Boxing Spirit. I wonder how the cover art will be for this game.

Just a typo. Anyway, I hope they go with 2D art from the anime series or from late in the manga series. Ippo 1's US art wasn't very interesting with the 3D Ippo from the game.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']I love Punch-Out!!, they really need to make a new one. It's been like 12 years since Super Punch-Out!! Damn Hoy Quarlow. That bastard.[/quote]

Hoy was a cheap bastard. He didn't even try to hide the stick, and that sick three cane jab was fast. But I still think Dragon Chan's speed made him the best boxer in the game (if the baddies went against each other, that is). But then his Chinese coach yelling Chinese instructions to him wouldn't help versus Hoy because Quarlow would know what they are saying. Speaking of Hoy, in college, my friends tried for weeks to break my record vs Quarlow (knockdown). THey topped my total time but not my knockdown. It was like 48 seconds or something. I was lucky and at the time I did set the record, I didn't know it was considered fast - I was more concerned about just surviving! And I think that bastard was blind in one eye too! Yet, so skilled....
special.gif

Gabby Jay = 101% spirit. You gotta give him that much. Wasn't his record like 1-100? :lol:

Cheezy, you think the Bruiser bros really ruined the game? They were strong and it was fun to work around their strategy the first time but I think they could have used a wrestler, karateka, or even muay thai boxer for bosses - that would've been off the hook.

[quote name='nintendokid']Hoy was a cheap bastard. He didn't even try to hide the stick, and that sick three cane jab was fast. But I still think Dragon Chan's speed made him the best boxer in the game (if the baddies went against each other, that is). But then his Chinese coach yelling Chinese instructions to him wouldn't help versus Hoy because Quarlow would know what they are saying. Speaking of Hoy, in college, my friends tried for weeks to break my record vs Quarlow (knockdown). THey topped my total time but not my knockdown. It was like 48 seconds or something. I was lucky and at the time I did set the record, I didn't know it was considered fast - I was more concerned about just surviving! And I think that bastard was blind in one eye too! Yet, so skilled....
special.gif

Gabby Jay = 101% spirit. You gotta give him that much. Wasn't his record like 1-100? :lol:

Cheezy, you think the Bruiser bros really ruined the game? They were strong and it was fun to work around their strategy the first time but I think they could have used a wrestler, karateka, or even muay thai boxer for bosses - that would've been off the hook.[/QUOTE]

Ruined the game... no. I the game was so good that I don't think it was ruined. However I do feel that the Bruisers were lacking as bosses. It was very unclimactic and it just felt like it ended. It wasn't like Mike Tyson, when you knew that you were gonna get creamed more often than not.

So to sum up, no it didn't ruin the game, but it also kind of held it back.

Ordered VB2 through the familyvideo.com 5 buck off code (there's a couple threads on this). 6 bucks after shipping.

Ordered VB2 through the familyvideo.com 5 buck off code (there's a couple threads on this). 6 bucks after shipping.
It'd be nice if you linked to them, atlhough I now see the thread. I wonder if they'll really ship out the hundreds of orders that essentially cut the price of the game in half.

[quote name='espy605']Being fun to use has nothing to do with character balance. Creating "challenges" is the same thing as saying there is a character imbalance in the game.

Um, I know that. B:L was the one that said it was like a fighting game:

I was the one saying how it wasn't.[/quote]

My bad, yeah I know it wasn't you.....I just wanted massive quotage is all.:cool:

[quote name='espy605']Being fun to use has nothing to do with character balance. Creating "challenges" is the same thing as saying there is a character imbalance in the game. [/QUOTE]

I never said there weren't character imbalances in the game. There are imbalances. That quote just refers to the point that all characters aren't useless like you said earlier. I like to use characters like Ozuma and Hayami and try to beat Mashiba/Vorg/Miyata. I don't think everyone who plays this game will only use Takamura, Miyata, Hawk, Martinez, and Nekota. I think people will want to create different matches with their friends to see how each person uses a different character.

^^^Why is this even a disscussion even going on? It is a boxing game for christ sakes. Ofcourse there isnt a balance between every character because a middleweight vs a featherweight is a challange. Also characters in the same weight class have different strengths and weaknesses.

^^^Why is this even a disscussion even going on?
Didn't you read the part where it's because I don't know shit?

That quote just refers to the point that all characters aren't useless like you said earlier.
I meant useless for competitive play, and in my opinion, for competitive play most of the characters are useless. But that's all it is, an opinion.

I think people will want to create different matches with their friends to see how each person uses a different character.
I don't know about that.

In a boxing game, everyone shares the same basic moves and differ mainly in statistics. Sure, they have special moves, but these aren't used much (at least in my experience) since they're often very risky or require special positioning and tend to drain a lot of stamina. The only exception I can think of is Miyata's slow motion "momentary battle" technique.

The way a person plays the game will change but only according to their character's stats. If they have poor endurance but good agility, they'll probably outbox more, or if they have good endurance and strength, they'll chase you to make it an infight. Because of that, I think most people will play the same characterss in similar ways.

While everyone is free to adopt any strategy with any boxer, the way the stats are designed for the character encourages a specific playstyle for each character, except for the "all around" characters of course. But trying to make Ippo an outboxing counterpuncher or turning Miyata into an infighter would be a weird handicap to impose on yourself.

[quote name='espy605']

In a boxing game, everyone shares the same basic moves and differ mainly in statistics. Sure, they have special moves, but these aren't used much (at least in my experience) since they're often very risky or require special positioning and tend to drain a lot of stamina. The only exception I can think of is Miyata's slow motion "momentary battle" technique.

The way a person plays the game will change but only according to their character's stats. If they have poor endurance but good agility, they'll probably outbox more, or if they have good endurance and strength, they'll chase you to make it an infight. Because of that, I think most people will play the same characterss in similar ways.

While everyone is free to adopt any strategy with any boxer, the way the stats are designed for the character encourages a specific playstyle for each character, except for the "all around" characters of course. But trying to make Ippo an outboxing counterpuncher or turning Miyata into an infighter would be a weird handicap to impose on yourself.[/QUOTE]

Totally, I agree. I think it would be retarted to use Ippo as an outboxer. But it's fun trying like Ozuma vs Date matches or Vorg vs Miyata. People will use characters similarly, but I guess I can't really explain it in words. From the matches my friends and I have had, we have some battles where they're just like masterpieces of us reading each others thoughts and countering counters. However, to each his own.

[quote name='PigeonSt']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110974

There ya go! :)[/quote]
Thanks! I also just ordered this game. I hope the game gets shipped out since there must be a ton of people going for this deal right now for Victorious Boxers 2. That site says that it's coming 11/2/06 plus it will take 5-10 business days to ship with their standard $.99 shipping. I'm also worried that they will have to backorder more copies since many people are probably buying it from them so I will have to wait even longer. Perhaps buying it from them saved me $4 but I may have to wait long before I get my copy of the game. How many copies do you think they will receive, and will they have enough for everyone who ordered? Who knows.

ya, I don't think they'll make many copies of this game, and I don't think the casual gamer will buy it. They'll look at it and assume because it doesn't have real boxers it sucks. How sad.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Gamestop has the box art up. Also, the Japanese developers have a video of VB2 (the English version) on their website:
http://www.gp-games.com/support/ipas_support/information/vb2_eu_us/movies/ipas_vb2fs_00.wmv[/quote]

The U.S. is getting a different version of Victorious Boxers 2 than the PAL regions from what people have said. May you give me a link of the cover? Many websites have the cover but it's the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 and not the U.S. version.

[quote name='GhostDog']The U.S. is getting a different version of Victorious Boxers 2 than the PAL regions from what people have said. May you give me a link of the cover? Many websites have the cover but it's the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 and not the U.S. version.[/QUOTE]
First, straight from the GameStop product page linked to in the first post:
281659b.jpg

Second, this game is most likely going to be exactly the same as the European version, which was a translation of the third JPN PS2 game, Hajime no Ippo All-Stars. It would make no sense to create a different game, only to release it at a super-budget price. It would make sense to just bring over a game that's already been translated; the only costs for publisher are some minor localization work and the pressing of the CDs/DVDs.

I went ahead and ordered this game from ebgames.com because of all the good words in this thread. Plus I like boxing, anime, and cheap games ;)

So was the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 is actually All Stars? I thought the PAL regions got the second one which was also the second Japanese title in the series, but the U.S. is getting All Stars which is the third game in the series and is titled Victorious Boxers 2. I didn't realize that the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 was actually All Stars like the U.S. is getting.

[quote name='Cao Cao']First, straight from the GameStop product page linked to in the first post:
281659b.jpg

Second, this game is most likely going to be exactly the same as the European version, which was a translation of the third JPN PS2 game, Hajime no Ippo All-Stars. It would make no sense to create a different game, only to release it at a super-budget price. It would make sense to just bring over a game that's already been translated; the only costs for publisher are some minor localization work and the pressing of the CDs/DVDs.[/QUOTE]

ugh. we got the ugly PAL cover. I wish it featured a more anime style look. Oh well, I'll just thank my lucky stars that it appears that it is finally coming out.

[quote name='GhostDog']So was the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 is actually All Stars? I thought the PAL regions got the second one which was also the second Japanese title in the series, but the U.S. is getting All Stars which is the third game in the series and is titled Victorious Boxers 2. I didn't realize that the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 was actually All Stars like the U.S. is getting.[/QUOTE]
The PAL and US versions are the same.

So was the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 is actually All Stars? I thought the PAL regions got the second one which was also the second Japanese title in the series, but the U.S. is getting All Stars which is the third game in the series and is titled Victorious Boxers 2. I didn't realize that the PAL version of Victorious Boxers 2 was actually All Stars like the U.S. is getting.

Nope, the PAL version got All Stars. Ippo 2: Victorious Road has never been released in English, probably due to the dismal sales of Ippo 1 (AKA Victorious Boxers 1) combined with the fact Ippo 2 featured boxers that were a little too similar (and unlicensed) to real life legends (a common thing in Japanese games, but a litigious offense in the US).

ugh. we got the ugly PAL cover. I wish it featured a more anime style look. Oh well, I'll just thank my lucky stars that it appears that it is finally coming out.

I think it's a really weird move, too, since they're obviously capitalizing on the popularity of Fighting Spirit in the US. But like you, I'm also quite grateful they're releasing here at all.

The cover for the first Victorious Boxers looked way better than this one. I also hoped for a more anime look. Just because this game is a budget title doesn't mean the cover should look like it. Is it for sure that this is the final cover version for the U.S.? Perhaps sites just use this cover because they're not yet sure of how the U.S. cover will look like so they ripped the PAL cover? This is just my wishful thinking. I wonder how many copies will be released in total.

They should have used one of these for the cover for the U.S. version:

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/xp/xplosiv-victorious-boxers-2-fighting-spirit-ps2.

[quote name='GhostDog']The cover for the first Victorious Boxers looked way better than this one. I also hoped for a more anime look. Just because this game is a budget title doesn't mean the cover should look like it. Is it for sure that this is the final cover version for the U.S.? Perhaps sites just use this cover because they're not yet sure of how the U.S. cover will look like so they ripped the PAL cover? This is just my wishful thinking. I wonder how many copies will be released in total.

They should have used one of these for the cover for the U.S. version:

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/xp/xplosiv-victorious-boxers-2-fighting-spirit-ps2.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that is the cover they'll use, I don't think that gamestop/eb would release a photoshopped version of the pal one. It has the ESRB on it so ya... the fighting spirit dvd's look better than this.

Considering that empire is a tiny company and Vivendi is a huge corporation that owns companies like Blizzard, I'd say the chances of that are slim.

[quote name='GhostDog']Is it for sure that this is the final cover version for the U.S.? Perhaps sites just use this cover because they're not yet sure of how the U.S. cover will look like so they ripped the PAL cover?[/QUOTE]
At first, that's what I thought. But then I realized: why would GameStop go through the trouble of photoshopping the EU cover with the ESRB rating and the Empire logo for a budget game? I could see them putting up a tentative boxart for a major, well-known release, but not for a relatively unknown game. Besides, GS doesn't accept contributed boxarts, so it is likely that they got it straight from the distributor.

The only confusing part about this boxart is the Empire logo, since I had also heard that Vivendi somehow acquired the publishing rights. Some possibilities:
1) Sometimes large publishers simply don't like to have their logo emblazoned on the cover of budget games, sometimes putting it under a seperate budget brand. Example: Valusoft is owned by THQ.
2) VU sent a boxart that they got straight from Empire, and is slightly outdated.
3) The logo was all a part of this mysterious deal that Empire and VU made for this game.

[quote name='icruise']Considering that empire is a tiny company and Vivendi is a huge corporation that owns companies like Blizzard, I'd say the chances of that are slim.[/QUOTE]

oh. thanks for the clear up.

Considering that Victorious Boxers didn't sell well in the U.S. and had a crappy cover, you'd think that they would learn a lesson and go with a different cover approach and not make it worse than the first one. A cover that would at least turn heads and have people plunk down $10 just for their curiousity. There's no way many people will give the game a chance due to its crappy cover. If it was a cool anime cover like the Japanese versions, then more people would give this game a shot. Think about it, some person who's not a boxing fan, but is an anime fan, sees this game at the store but is immediately turned off due to its cover. Now if the cover was a badass anime cover then there is a chance that person would give this game a shot due to their love of anime. Sure, it's only $10 and I'm glad it's being released here, but they could have at least went all the way and tried a little bit harder on a better cover that would attract more people and those who are anime fans and not necessarily boxing fans. After all, this game is based from a manga and anime series.

True, but it's possible that licensing the actual image from the anime would be too expensive for such a low-priced title.

Not sure if this has been asked already, but has anyone had trouble preordering this at gamestop B&M? I tried to preorder it but they couldn't find it in their system.

A few minutes ago I was just playing a copy of Prey that I rented from GameFly. I was thinking about whether I should keep it or not. Gamefly actually just reduced their price by $2 on this game in the last day or two.

I like the game so far. (I think it's a LOT better than PDZ, but that may be partially because I had high hopes for PDZ and it let me down). But for me, this kind of game doesn't have a lot of replay value, so I'll probably just beat it and send it back.

[quote name='AsianStyle']I have tried to preorder it at many different EBs and GSs and they all say that it is not avaliable for preorder.[/QUOTE]

For some reason they're computers have had it in the already available section. It's stupid so you can't preorder it.

[quote name='SlaughterX']Link is dead, seems to have been removed from their site, like the GC version of TP... :([/QUOTE]

Don't scare me like that again.

I tried to pre-order this game this week but was told I couldn't due to it being $9.99.

The computer apparently won't let them do pre-orders on games under $19.99.

I really wanted to preorder it because I think there will be a very small shipment of this game. I would preorder online but the shipping is $3. "SAVER" doesn't work for new games right?

well i caved in and bought the first one at my local EBX for 6 bucks. after playing 10 mins i have to say i was quite impressed. i like the story and the boxing seems solid enough to keep me interested. well looks like i have to get two now.

bump for it being at familyvideo.com for $9.99 before $5 off new member couppn NEWMEM96 i think.....theres a thread about it in DVD deals about Veronica Mars.

ok i utterly suck at this game. i have no clue how to play this game. i dont know how to defend, the computer moves like a rat on wheels and runs circles around me. when i try to dodge his attacks.i get rocked and KOed. so can anyone tell me how block and how to play this game right? i really like it but its getting frustrating especially trying to turn from fight night to Ippo. if you want to know how far im at ..im at the all japan rookie championship against sendo. thanks for any future help.

[quote name='integralsmatic']ok i utterly suck at this game. i have no clue how to play this game. i dont know how to defend, the computer moves like a rat on wheels and runs circles around me. when i try to dodge his attacks.i get rocked and KOed. so can anyone tell me how block and how to play this game right? i really like it but its getting frustrating especially trying to turn from fight night to Ippo. if you want to know how far im at ..im at the all japan rookie championship against sendo. thanks for any future help.[/QUOTE]

Umm.. there's not really a block button. I suggest changing one of your top buttons to sway. So you can better control your sway. Keep moving. Don't over punch in your rounds either or keep using your special punches. Special punches drain your stamina and if you miss and get countered you have a higher chance of getting knocked down.

bread's done
Back