Victorious Boxers 2 Available Now $9.99

[quote name='espy605']Echo Night is an AWESOME series. Part 2 never came out here, but 1 and Beyond did, both excellent, niche games.[/QUOTE]

Yup -- it is a definite winner for a more mature approach to gaming. No giant breasts, no big guns, just lots of thinking required.

I have often wondered what efforts would have been needed to get it reviewed in more non-traditional media outlets, and smaller press publishers -- things like parenting magazines, or submitting it for a Dr. Toy review.

It got a good long stint of at least 6 months as a feature on the home page of Playstation.com, and a demo in OPM... but I wonder if the demo's non-FPS controls, being the hideous JP controls that used the triggers instead of the dual sticks, did not turn some people off. The full game supported standard FPS control, but only if u knew enough to reset it in the options. I also wonder if it would have done better as a budget release at $29.99. I guess we will never know.

The market is so fickle. It is amazing to think that by the time a game is more reasonsably priced, the publisher has already lost money.

[quote name='Cao Cao']A sequel to a well-received game at a bargain price? Definitely getting it, though for 2 bucks, getting the original isn't out of the question right now.[/QUOTE]

Ya if you wanna try out how the game generally plays, get the original VB. If I remember a couple years ago it won Gamestop's infamous "Best Game Nobody Played Award".

[quote name='nintendokid']So how many episodes are there in the anime? Has it ended yet in Japan?[/QUOTE]Yeah, the anime series is over. Too bad though, you just missed the huge ass Geneon sale at Rightstuf.com. 25 DVDs for $100.

But that's getting off subject. Fighting Spirit or Hajime no Ippo is split over 15 dvds, 5 episodes each.

[quote name='B:L']Yeah, the anime series is over. Too bad though, you just missed the huge ass Geneon sale at Rightstuf.com. 25 DVDs for $100.

But that's getting off subject. Fighting Spirit or Hajime no Ippo is split over 15 dvds, 5 episodes each.[/QUOTE]

Damn that's a good sale. Wish I knew about it.
But to be precise, the series is 76 episodes long with 2 OVAs.

[quote name='ykryptonite13']Damn that's a good sale. Wish I knew about it.
But to be precise, the series is 76 episodes long with 2 OVAs.[/QUOTE]

To be technical, one OVA, one theatrical film. The manga is still running at 70+ volumes strong, and no, Miyata still hasn't fought Ippo yet.

[quote name='nintendokid']How come they don't sell Hajime no ippo manga here in the US?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the fact that its over 75+ volumes and counting, many publishers think that its too much. Also not too many sport mangas make it big here.

As a huge fan of the manga (I've read up to date I believe), I stumbled across Victorious Boxers at Blockbuster tonight for $7 bucks in good shape/complete. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, does VB2 (US) totally kill it, and I should wait for that, or go ahead and check this out? Note I never play boxing games, but I'll make an exception for Ippo :)

I'm in. After hearing all the praise and looking into the series a bit I decided to take the plunge. Besides, it's only $10; it's not that huge of a gamble.

[quote name='SailorDaravon']As a huge fan of the manga (I've read up to date I believe), I stumbled across Victorious Boxers at Blockbuster tonight for $7 bucks in good shape/complete. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, does VB2 (US) totally kill it, and I should wait for that, or go ahead and check this out? Note I never play boxing games, but I'll make an exception for Ippo :)[/QUOTE]

Umm... Try it. I love the series in general, and have probably played over 200 hours of VB1. It actually is slower than VB fighting spirit 2. VB fighting spirit 2 gameplay is a bit faster than VB1 however it does have a much better hit detection, more characters, and more moves.

You play VB1 for three things:

1) The engrossing story mode, where you start off struggling...then you pick up the Dempsey Roll and katamari over the rest of your opposition.

2) BEAR.

3) Hey, look over there! *PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH KO*

The US release totally snuck up on me. Thanks for letting me know. To show my appreciation, here's a picture of the Japanese promo poster I have for this game.

ippoposterrm1.jpg

[quote name='Bean_Bandit']The US release totally snuck up on me. Thanks for letting me know. To show my appreciation, here's a picture of the Japanese promo poster I have for this game.

ippoposterrm1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's a cool poster. I've never seen that one before. Hehe. when this game comes out I can't wait to fight Martinez w/ "Jesus" Date.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']I'm guessing the fact that its over 75+ volumes and counting, many publishers think that its too much. Also not too many sport mangas make it big here.[/quote]

Well, if Viz is willing to port over Naruto, which has become the most ridiculous and repetitive fan service and filler damnation, I don't see the problem. How does an anime/manga like Naruto survive so long when the sub characters are more interesting than the main characters.

I went ahead and preordered it. With all the glowing being done over the title in this thread, it's worth a shot.

[quote name='nintendokid']Well, if Viz is willing to port over Naruto, which has become the most ridiculous and repetitive fan service and filler damnation, I don't see the problem. How does an anime/manga like Naruto survive so long when the sub characters are more interesting than the main characters.[/QUOTE]

I never got into naruto. It seems like Dragonball to me, but what do I know.

[quote name='B:L']
3) Hey, look over there! *PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH KO*[/quote]

No freakin' way! Does the audience look in the direction you're looking at when you pull off that move?

Bean_Bandit: Thanks for sharing that poster. It's awesome. :D

[quote name='evanft']SAVER seems to work. Does anyone know absolutely for sure what game exactly this is?[/QUOTE]

umm.. its been said quite often in this thread, but it's a...... boxing game.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']umm.. its been said quite often in this thread, but it's a...... boxing game.[/QUOTE]
I think he's asking which Ippo game it is, since there was some confusion.

[quote name='icruise']I think he's asking which Ippo game it is, since there was some confusion.[/QUOTE]

ooohh.. lol. I feel dumb now. It is Hajime No Ippo All Stars.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']25 more days.[/QUOTE]

so im new to Ippo game series. what can i expect out of this game? again i just finished fight night rnd 3...can i expect better? i dont want to read lame reviews from ign or what not so ill ask the ippo experts here. ill buy it anyway for 10 bucks.but i still want to know.

[quote name='integralsmatic']so im new to Ippo game series. what can i expect out of this game? again i just finished fight night rnd 3...can i expect better? i dont want to read lame reviews from ign or what not so ill ask the ippo experts here. ill buy it anyway for 10 bucks.but i still want to know.[/QUOTE]Well here's a gameplay vid of the first game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DTy2mSGjwiM

Expect MUCH better. There's so many things it has over Fight Night...

You've got your boxing punches, your bob and weaves and leans, and your blocking. Add to that a dynamic movement system where spacing is important, quick paced action, and several signature punches and you've got a winner.

The game is also stat based; there's no stamina or health meter on the screen. You can physically feel your boxer slow down or weaken from repeated blows. No mini-games or mashing to get up either, it takes the pure guts and heart of the boxer you chose.

This game just blows Fight Night out of the water...and that's just the FIRST game in the series!

so im new to Ippo game series. what can i expect out of this game? again i just finished fight night rnd 3...can i expect better? i
They're different, and both have their strong points. Ippo takes a more realistic approach to boxing (which is odd considering FN uses real people and Ippo is based on a manga series), which is both fun and frustrating at the same time.

Fight Night is a much better game to play with the average person because it's much easier to understand and is just more arcadey. The energy meters, great production values, recognizable boxers, flashy presentation and sheer satisfaction from punching makes it an overall more enjoyable experience for group gatherings. When FN3 used to be on X360 demo units, it was easy to see its appeal as you'd often see groups gather around watching other people play.

Ippo is more realistic and requires strategy for footwork and spacing. Countering punching is much more important in Ippo than in FN3, as well, as they hurt a LOT more in Ippo. There are no meters, which some people like, but it can be annoying because you're uncertain how much energy you've recovered after getting up so you're unsure whether to risk getting into an infight or resort to outboxing or straight up running away in hopes you'll recover SOME energy so you don't get TKO'd.

Ippo 1 and All Stars, both English releases, do not have a create-a-boxer mode either. Create-a-boxer in Fight Night was a pretty popular feature since the face modeling system was so detailed. Ippo 2 has a create-a-boxer but it's import only and VERY simulation-orientated, and not for the casual gamer.

My opinion, they're both really good boxing games. You might be hard pressed to get people to play Ippo as its low production values and manga style turn people away, which are factors amongst others that resulted in no one buying the first game released here. Fight Night is a better "party game."

I told my friend about this game and he may buy it. I don't have a PS2 yet so I will see if I like this game and maybe I will buy it just to hold on to it until I get a PS2. My friend is a big anime fan and is familar with the anime Boxing Spirit as it was called here in the U.S. For $9.99 you can take a risk on this game.

How unique are each of the characters? For example, does on boxer really heavily on power while another is all about technical counters, another on endurance, etc.?

It seems that a lot of modes and functionality was lost from Ippo2 to Allstars. Is that accurate? Why would they drop a bunch of features?

[quote name='nintendokid']How unique are each of the characters? For example, does on boxer really heavily on power while another is all about technical counters, another on endurance, etc.?[/quote]It's built like a fighting game, and based on an anime series, so you can expect a whole variety of characters.

Ippo is a powerhouse in-fighter whose style is reminiscent of a young Mike Tyson. Takamura is an insanely strong slugger who once took out a bear. On the other end of the spectrum, you have speedy out-fighters who can jab and retreat, and weaving demons who seem impossible to hit. Amongst them are fighters who rely on their crazy fast jabs to wear out their opponents, fighters who try to land their big one-two, and other unique classifications.

Each fighter has their own strengths, weaknesses, and special moves (which are actually useful!). Like I said earlier, stats matter, and these stats add uniqueness to characters as well. Ippo is known to be one of the toughest, gutsiest boxers in his weight class, so he's really hard to beat down AND keep down. Stuff like that applies to every character.

So yeah, I'd say the boxers are pretty unique. :cool:

My friend is a big anime fan and is familar with the anime Boxing Spirit as it was called here in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure the US name is Fighting Spirit.
It seems that a lot of modes and functionality was lost from Ippo2 to Allstars. Is that accurate? Why would they drop a bunch of features?

Only one mode was lost and that's Career Mode. All other modes, features and functionality were included or improved. All Stars has a roster update to coincide with the manga, with gameplay and graphical improvements. I don't know what other modes, functionalities and features you're talking about.

I've never played the original, if I like Fight Night would I like this?

They're different style games about the same sport, that's their only similarity. It's like asking if I liked NBA Street will like I like NBA Live.

It's built like a fighting game, and based on an anime series, so you can expect a whole variety of characters.

Except with a fighting game, developers try to create a balance between characters.

Ippo games are designed to reflect the performance of the characters they're based on, so characters like Ippo and Takamura are going to be overwhelmingly strong compared to most other characters which make most of the characters worthless in versus play. Additionally, characters from significantly different weight classes have a huge advantage.

This isn't too different from a lot of stat-based sports games, though. You look at any Madden game, each year there are a small number of teams that are generally overpowered compared to the rest of the ones available.

No. No you won't. NBA Street fucking sucks. :lol:

Anyway, I might get this. It's cheap, and I like the style. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, is there any free shipping code or anything?

[quote name='espy605']Except with a fighting game, developers try to create a balance between characters.[/QUOTE]TRY is the key word here. :lol:

And only SOME fighting game developers do. ;)
What I'm trying to imply here is that DOA SUCKS

It's close enough, and keep in mind that this is supposed to be a boxing simulator as well. Of course you shouldn't pair up boxers of different weight classes (what class does BEAR fall under?), but within a weight class, there's enough viable contenders for a good versus game. Takamura may be an amazing slugger but Hawk can match up to him. Ippo may be tough, but with contenders like Date, he's not invincible.

Too bad this version doesn't have VB2's Ricardo Martinez. Now THAT was an unbalanced boxer. :whistle2:#

TRY is the key word here. :lol:

There are always tiers of which characters are best in fighting games. It always works out that way. But there is a difference between a fighting game where they try to balance things as part of its design versus a game like Ippo where character balance is not a part of the design at all.

It's close enough, and keep in mind that this is supposed to be a boxing simulator as well. Of course you shouldn't pair up boxers of different weight classes

...which is another reason why it isn't like a fighting game at all. Fighting games don't have issues like weight classes.

but within a weight class, there's enough viable contenders for a good versus game. Takamura may be an amazing slugger but Hawk can match up to him. Ippo may be tough, but with contenders like Date, he's not invincible.

There might be a few, but most of the dozens of characters in the game are useless for versus play.

I always wanted to pick up the first one, but never pulled the trigger. At this price, considering all of the positive feedback, I couldn't pass this up. Hopefully, it's actually released on that date.

[quote name='espy605']
There might be a few, but most of the dozens of characters in the game are useless for versus play.[/QUOTE]

Not really, I think each character is fun to use. And can create challenges if you wanna play vs the cpu or a friend.

I mean I was twice able to beat Takamura (the healthy one) with Ogawa (Ippo's protest opponent). :D FEAR THE PROTEST GUY!

[quote name='espy605']There are always tiers of which characters are best in fighting games. It always works out that way. But there is a difference between a fighting game where they try to balance things as part of its design versus a game like Ippo where character balance is not a part of the design at all.

...which is another reason why it isn't like a fighting game at all. Fighting games don't have issues like weight classes.

There might be a few, but most of the dozens of characters in the game are useless for versus play.[/quote]
That's 'cause its NOT a fighting game....it's a BOXING game. And in any boxing game, allowances are made based on weight class. Most boxing games nowadays are sort of simmy in that aspect. Most arcadey boxing games (i.e. Punch Out, Ring King, Final Round etc) don't give weight class much consideration, if any.

[quote name='Knoxximus']That's 'cause its NOT a fighting game....it's a BOXING game. And in any boxing game, allowances are made based on weight class. Most boxing games nowadays are sort of simmy in that aspect. Most arcadey boxing games (i.e. Punch Out, Ring King, Final Round etc) don't give weight class much consideration, if any.[/QUOTE]

I love Punch-Out!!, they really need to make a new one. It's been like 12 years since Super Punch-Out!! Damn Hoy Quarlow. That bastard.

Not really, I think each character is fun to use. And can create challenges if you wanna play vs the cpu or a friend.

Being fun to use has nothing to do with character balance. Creating "challenges" is the same thing as saying there is a character imbalance in the game.

That's 'cause its NOT a fighting game....it's a BOXING game. And in any boxing game, allowances are made based on weight class.

Um, I know that. B:L was the one that said it was like a fighting game:
It's built like a fighting game, and based on an anime series, so you can expect a whole variety of characters.
I was the one saying how it wasn't.

[quote name='espy605']Um, I know that. B:L was the one that said it was like a fighting game:

I was the one saying how it wasn't.[/QUOTE]Um, you don't know shit.

I said it was BUILT like a fighting game, meaning each character is more or less unique, with their own special moves.

And hell, you're agreeing on the tiers. I said that it's close enough, as long as you stay within a weight class. There are your great boxers (top tier) in each weight, like Ippo, Aoki, Takamura, etc. Then you've got enough viable contenders for a mid and low tier.

Ultimately, no shit, it's a boxing game. But if both players stay within a weight class for fairness, the tiers are there like a fighting game.

Besides, my main point is that there are a lot of unique fighters with their unique special moves and statistics. That's what I meant when I said it was built like a fighting game.

bread's done
Back