Vita redesign announced! (In Japan for now) - PSVitaTV (Streaming Box/Micro Console) also announced!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Just announced at the conference.
PCH-2000
- Built-in 1GB storage
- Available in multiple colors. (White, Light-blue, Yellow, Pink, Gray, Black)
- Thinner and Lighter
- 5-inch LCD screen instead of OLED
- Start/select buttons are bigger
- The Finger Pads in the back are bigger (To prevent accidental rear-touch)
- 1 more hour of battery life
- Micro-USB connector
- October 10th release date in Japan, same price as current model

They also announced a 64GB Vita memory card.

Promo Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkOdFbj1Eo

EDIT:
Wow, we ended up getting a twofer in this conference! Sony also announced their Vita-based competitor to the Apple TV and Roku. I'll just copy my post from below.

PSVitaTV (A sort of Streaming box design) just announced!
- No screen, connects to TV via HDMI
- Plays Vita cartridge games (Not all Vita games are supported, see list below)
- Also plays Vita, PSP, and PSOne downloads from the PS Store
- Media functions (Netflix, Youtube, etc.),
- Uses the Vita OS
- Video outputs: 720p, 1080i, 480p
- 1GB built-in storage, supports Vita memory cards
- Supports Remote Play with PS4
- Supports the Dual Shock 3 Controller.

Japan release: 11/14/2013
PSVitaTV by itself: 9954 yen (~$99)
PSVitaTV Bundle with Dual Shock 3 & an 8GB Memory Card: 14994 yen (~$149)
PSVitaTV Fact Sheet
List of Supported Games (Japanese)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPukGq3pDEQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.  I could definitely go for the bigger start/select buttons, the prevention of accidental rear-touch (by biggest gripe with the system), and the longer battery life.  The rest is meh.  1GB is nice, but not enough for any downloads, really (so pretty useless if you have PS+ for example).  It is good for lower cost of entry, though, in order to have game saving capability out of the box for cart games.

Wasn't the OLED screen the big high-tech feature of the Vita, though?  Not sure how an LCD will effect screen quality.  For sure it is cheaper for Sony to make - and yet the price remains the same.

But yeah, nothing here to make me "upgrade" my system.  This does not appear to be a DS-to-DS Lite type upgrade.

WonkerstheWatilla over in the GAF thread posted some comparison pics of the front of the two Vitas

New Vita:
koba5G9.jpg

Old Vita:
GEahnRT.jpg

Nice little upgrade for new gamers who were already looking to buy a now old Vita. But not aggressive enough imo to increase sales much. They should sell pretty well this Holiday.... but after that.. I don't see a big jump in sales.

The 1GB built in is very nice for game saves out of the box. (wish it was 10gb)

I still think the price is too high though.

Coming to US? When?

PSVitaTV (A sort of Streaming box design) just announced! No screen, connects to TV, plays Vita cartridge games (along with Vita, PSP, and PSOne downloads), can use the Vita media functions (Netflix, Youtube, etc.), uses the Vita OS, supports Remote Play with PS4, supports the Dual Shock 3 Controller.

Japan release: 11/14/2013
PSVitaTV by itself: 9480 yen
Bundle with Dual Shock 3 and an 8GB Memory Card: ????? yen (~$149)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPukGq3pDEQ

Wait, it streams to your TV to allow remote play of PS4 games which is an alternative to having them on your... TV?  I don't get it ;).  I thought the point of remote play was to get off the TV.

But otherwise this thing will play Vita carts and downloads but on a TV?  How will all the touchscreen stuff work then?  I'm guessing games like LBP Vita just wouldn't work with it.  If it comes out here cheap enough it might be a nice alternative for playing Vita games.  I know I'd have preferred playing Katamari with a real controller instead of the tiny sticks on the Vita.  But then again, if I'm going to hook it to my TV I'd probably just rather play my PS3/360/Wii U.  I guess it could be portable and used on other TVs more easily than a console - so there is that.

Wait, it streams to your TV to allow remote play of PS4 games which is an alternative to having them on your... TV? I don't get it ;). I thought the point of remote play was to get off the TV.

But otherwise this thing will play Vita carts and downloads but on a TV? How will all the touchscreen stuff work then? I'm guessing games like LBP Vita just wouldn't work with it.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/319295-psn-weekly-deals-93-zombie-driver-hd-retro-city-rampage-blazblue-vita-and-virtues-last-reward-sales-re-chronicles-hd-free-for-ps/?p=11046056

Wait, it streams to your TV to allow remote play of PS4 games which is an alternative to having them on your... TV? I don't get it ;). I thought the point of remote play was to get off the TV.

But otherwise this thing will play Vita carts and downloads but on a TV? How will all the touchscreen stuff work then? I'm guessing games like LBP Vita just wouldn't work with it. If it comes out here cheap enough it might be a nice alternative for playing Vita games. I know I'd have preferred playing Katamari with a real controller instead of the tiny sticks on the Vita. But then again, if I'm going to hook it to my TV I'd probably just rather play my PS3/360/Wii U. I guess it could be portable and used on other TVs more easily than a console - so there is that.
I imagine that it's for cases where your PS4 is connected to one TV while your PSVitaTV is connected to another TV in the house.

I imagine that it's for cases where your PS4 is connected to one TV while your PSVitaTV is connected to another TV in the house.
Yeah. Like I said, I could probably use this. I currently have 2 PS3's just for this reason (but also to allow me and my son to do occasional multiplayer games that require 2 systems which this would not help with). So this might be useful as an alternative to buying 2 systems. On the other hand, 2-3 years from now (when, with more games out, I'd have more use for second screen usage) I'll be able to get a second PS4 for $250-$300 and that seems more useful than having this if all I want to do is stream PS4 with it.

Not sure that answers much other than, OK, you can do remote play to another room. I might possibly have a use for that - we'll have to see. I'd have little use for playing Vita or PSP stuff on a TV - but as a remote PS4-streaming device it intrigues me.
The device is like a cheaper alternative to buying a PS Vita while allowing you to remote play a PS4 with another TV. For example if somebody is using your living room TV where the PS4 is located. You can use this PS Vita TV device to remote play in your bedroom TV without having to relocate your PS4.

I think the main benefit is still being able to access PS Vita, PSP, and PS One titles for a low price of about $95.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130909c_e.pdf

Ah, Sony just put out a list of supported Vita games for the PSVitaTV:
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/

Looks like they're avoiding touch-heavy games, since Uncharted and Gravity Rush don't seem to be on there.

Notables:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon's Crown
Soul Sacrifice (& Delta)
Gods Eater 2
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Totori
Time Travelers
Little Battlers W
Ragnarok Odyssey (& Ace)
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Motorstorm RC
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
Rayman Origins
Final Fantasy X & X-2
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

And many more, around 100 total I believe. Like I said, seems that they're avoiding games with heavy touch usage. That *might* change when the PSVitaTV is patched to have Dual Shock 4 support.

Hopefully games that barely use the touch screen (like Uncharted) get a patch to make all the touch stuff optional.

Additionally I expect that very few games will require the touch screen for minor things in the future, which I think is great for both the Vita TV and the regular Vita because I never like using the touch screen.

Here are the 6 different colors of the new Vita 2000:

Front and Back
image43.png

Up close view of Back
PSVITA_2000_6Color.jpg

Looks like they're avoiding touch-heavy games, since Uncharted and Gravity Rush don't seem to be on there.

Notables:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon's Crown
Soul Sacrifice
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Rayman Origins

And many more, around 100 total I believe. Like I said, seems that they're avoiding games with heavy touch usage. That *might* change when the PSVitaTV is patched to have Dual Shock 4 support.

Outside of Soul Sacrifice and P4G everything else is already out on the PS3. So, I am not sure there is a market for this thing.

This is more of a downgrade than an upgrade simply for the oled to lcd.

I really would have to look at the specifics on the lcd, but oled is a more advanced tech that provides better colors and deeper blacks than lcd does. I doubt its a LED LCD, if its that then it wouldnt be too bad.

Willing to bet the first few that are produced have some light bleed problems.

Id go with the original over this.

I understand the PSVitaTV a little more, but am disappointed that the regular and new Vita doesn't do TV output and DS3 like the much cheaper PSPGo. I think the PSVitaTV is more suited for me, but I still see a high cost barrier for me, as opposed to traditional consoles.

HDMI output means I can play Person 4 Golden on my computer monitor, sweet.

Loving the Vita TV announce, being able to remote play PS4 games to a second tv in the house is an unreal feature.  Add in getting to play Vita games with a real controller on a larger screen.. take my money!

I hope they patch in a way to get touch heavy games to work like they plan on patching in the dualshock 4.  Do something like have the touchpad on the dualshock 4 emulate the front screen of the Vita, then hold in L2/R2 and the touchpad then emulates the back  touchpad.  Then you only lose games that utilize the camera and I imagine there are only a handful of those.

Kind of cool to think this is the return of a cartridge based console, the first one since the N64.  And the $100 price point.  Add in that this plays PSP and PS1 games purchased from PSN, and soon Gaikai will add in PS2 and PS3 streaming, and you have a sick sick console for $100 bucks.

Anything that adds to the Vita installed base so we get more Vita games is a plus in my book!

Not supporting all games is just going to create confusion. Plus I don't have any interest whatsoever in playing Vita games on a TV. What's the point? This product is weird.

Going from OLED to LCD Is bad, but I'll be waiting for reviews first to see how bad it truly is.

The VIta TV thing is awesome outside of the unsupported games. If I could get a controller and memory card for $99 or less I'd be tempted, even at $150 is a great deal.

I do not like the fact this will mean developers will have to be aware of potentially two input schemes to make their games work.  Not that I am a huge fan of touch controls but this only serves to make it more difficult for VITA developers to do their job.

Not sure there's a market outside of Japan for it, but the price is right. Honestly, most streaming boxes go for about $100. Roku, Apple TV, etc. This does all that plus plays games. If Gaikai gets added, then that's an insanely cheap price for all of that functionality.

Although I don't know why the PS4 couldn't do 99% of this (Vita, PSP games). Its really odd.

Kind on the fence about an OLED vs. an LCD screen.  I might get the old OLED model if it gets cheap enough or get the new LCD model. 

The PSVitaTV I would get just to retire my PSPGo.

Now if they would combine both the PSVita Slim/2000 with the PSVitaTV, I so would buy that as the next model of Vita.  At the very least, I hope the new model PSVita gets a TV output cable/capability.

Interesting.  I still think they need some more games that were designed for the system though - I have little interest in playing "console" games on the go. 

The Vita TV is honestly what I want. There's little need for me to play games on the go and I'd much rather just sit back and enjoy games on a big TV. I just wish it had a traditional memory card (SD, Micro SD, etc.) slot for expanded storage like other streaming devices. It has a USB slot but no mention about external HDD or thumb drive support.:whistle2:

I'm kinda surprised about the Vita remodel though... I get that they're trying to make it cheaper but the OLED was a big selling point for the Vita, and they replace it with a regular LCD (not even an LED LCD)? Strange. 

But of course, they still didn't address the biggest issue: there's still very few reasons (read: games) to get the Vita. 

Older moder still has better design from my point of view. TV thing is awesome though
I agree completely, the older model Vita is probably going to have a much better screen, and the Vita TV sounds like a cool little mini console! Still I might pick up the new model just for grins, nice to have options.

The Vita TV is a fairly bold move, and could actually work out pretty well for them. The production on a device like this is going to be so much lower. They've essentially stripped out everything that was expensive in the Vita and left a device that is lean and streamlined. What they have is a basic media player that ties really well into their other accessories. It's a perfect vehicle for marketing to a price-shy audience, and at the same time up-sell the most mark-up friendly products they have. It's also a great way to hook customers into buying content off of PSN. It will even make the indie crowd happy.

We'll have to see how this one plays out. No telling when or if the PSVita TV will come to the U.S.

The Vita redesign isn't really all that exciting. This is par for the course as far as Sony's portables line is concerned. They always refine their design in order to trim corners and cut costs. Business as usual as far as that is concerned.

I like the Vita TV idea. It's basically the Playstation Roku box. A $99 device in this day and age is a good thing to have. The infrastructure of games is already there. PS Vita, PSP, PS1, Minis, Mobile. For me I wouldn't mind using it as a PS4 streamer and I wouldn't mind having the option to play Vita stuff on the go and at home. With cloud saving it seems like an easy option.

The new Vita has the LCD so I don't see a point in upgrading. Seems to me as a way to cut costs to make more on the device.

EDIT: It might be nice to download games to my Vita memory card via the Ethernet port as well.

I like the Vita TV idea. It's basically the Playstation Roku box. A $99 device in this day and age is a good thing to have. The infrastructure of games is already there. PS Vita, PSP, PS1, Minis, Mobile. For me I wouldn't mind using it as a PS4 streamer and I wouldn't mind having the option to play Vita stuff on the go and at home. With cloud saving it seems like an easy option.

The new Vita has the LCD so I don't see a point in upgrading. Seems to me as a way to cut costs to make more on the device.

EDIT: It might be nice to download games to my Vita memory card via the Ethernet port as well.
Maybe they're cutting costs on the vita hardware but keeping the price point so they can lower memory card prices down the road? Who knows.

Yeah, cloud saves and PS+ content make this a lot more intriguing than it might be otherwise. Although gamewise I'm uncertain why the PS4 can't do 99% of this stuff on its own. They could easily make PSP games run on the PS4, making separate hardware seems superfluous.

Yeah, cloud saves and PS+ content make this a lot more intriguing than it might be otherwise. Although gamewise I'm uncertain why the PS4 can't do 99% of this stuff on its own. They could easily make PSP games run on the PS4, making separate hardware seems superfluous.
Getting the average consumer to buy a $100 box is much easier than getting them to buy a $400 machine. Given it's price point, I think they're probably releasing the Vita TV to target the Android box market (like the Ouya) but Sony has the advantage of having a diverse library of classic games (PS1/2, PSP) in addition to newer games from the Vita and PSN games.

I'm guessing the PS4 will be able to do everything Vita TV, besides play Vita games, eventually.

You're right, the PS4 could do absolutely everything that the PSVita TV can do, in its sleep. Hell, the PS3 can do everything it can do, without breaking a sweat.

But both of those consoles cost Sony more to produce, and they have to charge more for them. The PSVita TV will be able to be produced for a much lower cost, and can be sold at a profit. If they market it for $100 in the U.S., they will probably still be able to make money off of every hardware unit sold. It is also the perfect device for expanding into emerging markets, such as China. (which is rumored to be dropping its ban on home consoles soon) Being able to ship a device like this for a lower price could be huge for Sony. It is also a great way for them to cross-promote existing services and software, and might actually help to bolster development support for the Vita platform.

Notables:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon's Crown
Soul Sacrifice (& Delta)
Gods Eater 2
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Totori
Time Travelers
Little Battlers W
Ragnarok Odyssey (& Ace)
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Motorstorm RC
Rayman Origins
Final Fantasy X & X-2

Sony is avoiding touch usage in Japan because they won't have access to the DS4 until 3 months later due to PS4 delay. It might be different for other countries that get the PS Vita TV device later on since we do have access to the DS4.

The DS4 will not help with touchscreen use, because it does not have a touchscreen, it has a touchpad. At best it could weirdly emulate the back touch panel. It won't.

The DS4 will not help with touchscreen use, because it does not have a touchscreen, it has a touchpad. At best it could weirdly emulate the back touch panel. It won't.
Actually, it would be able to approximate mouse control fairly well. And that would allow for much closer cross over for many touch-focused games. Existing games could be patched to work with the Dual Shock 4, and future games could be adapted to work well with it out of the box. The rear touch screen is actually the primary feature that would prevent Vita games from running on the PSVita TV. (as well as the cameras) Even the microphone on the PSVita could be approximated using a headset in conjunction with the Dual Shock 4.

Sony's doing a pretty good job of providing a 3-way platform for developers to take advantage of. This PSVita TV is a very promising idea. I look forward to hearing more about it from the Tokyo Game Show.

Mouse control is not the same as a touchscreen. I think you are wishfully thinking. This thing does what it says. It's not going to be able to play Vita games that make use of the touchscreen. Not now and not in the future. With the exception of cases where a game uses the touchscreen as a touchpad and not actually as a touchscreen - for example, Machinarium. Touchscreen not equal to touchpad.

Ironic, considering a game like Rayman Legends ported to the Vita functionally intact due to its touch screen, while PS360 got quicktime replacements, and flagship 1st party titles like Killzone Mercenary (along with Uncharted) use the touch screen a lot. In fact, it felt like it was forced in Uncharted as a tech demo at times.

I like the VIta TV idea, I'd probably pick one up if/once it comes stateside.  It would be great for the bedroom to replace the Roku.

I get why Sony did the Vita re-design, I don't like it for me though since I prefer my OG Vita, but I get it.  It's the same reason they made the super slim PS3.  Cheaper production price = higher profit margin.  If it moves more systems and gets more games on the system I'm all for it.

I'm also pumped for the 64 gig memory card.  I hope they sell that for the old 32 gig price.  Then I'd pick up a 64 gig for my Vita and retire my 32 gig to my Vita TV (assuming both come to the US).

Nintendo 2ds's coming out on 12th of octomber, Do you think Sony did this on purpose or it doesn't have anything to do with this?

Nintendo 2ds's coming out 12th of octomber, Do you think Sony did this on purpose or it doesn't have anything to do with this?
The 2DS reaches a completely different market. The 2DS may be somewhat different from its predecessors, but it is still first and foremost a handheld gaming system. The redesigned Vita was going to be in the works no matter what Nintendo did. They didn't completely revise the Vita, they just made a few little tweaks to make it cheaper to produce. This hardware revision was inevitable, and frankly rather expected. No real surprises, and not really a reaction to the 2DS. (which was much more surprising) I'd say the two don't really have anything to do with each other.

The PSVita TV is much more of a surprising move, and will have a considerably greater effect on the market.

The limited Vita part isn't that appealing to me especially since adding an overpriced memory card adds to the cost significantly and makes it not really that cheap, but the PS4 remote play is more interesting. Except I won't get a PS4 any time soon.

If the PSVita TV does allow the same media playing capability like the PS3 via its USB port (ie mp4 and divx), I'm going to lean further into buy territory.

bread's done
Back