Vizio Plasmas @ Walmart: 32" for $547, 42" for $747 (not YMMV)

Gamerguy

CAGiversary!
Some people prefer LCDs for gaming, but after seeing these TVs, they look awesome. I have a 26" Vizio LCD that I bought from Walmart and it's been wonderful, so I'll probably upgrade to one of these by the end of the summer.

This is NOT a sale price. These two sets just came out on the market. When Vizio revealed them, they were originally priced about $200 higher than Walmart has them for, but I guess that didn't hold.

Both sets are 720p.

32" ($547)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

42" ($747)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477432

Plasma has less blurring and can display better blacks and dark colors compared to LCD. The big complaints used to be burn-in (plasma uses backlit gases behind a glass panel) and screen life, but neither of those are a serious problem any more. Burn in only happens when you leave something on the same screen for 15-20+ hours. Game HUDs aren't an issue for burn in because the screen is always changing, but using a plasma screen as a computer monitor could cause it.

As far as screen life is concerned, Vizio says these are rated at 60,000 hours - the same as their LCDs, so I wouldn't worry.

This is awful tempting. I've been looking for a 32 inch high def and not wanting to pay over $600. I've got no money coming in right now though so I'll have to hold off.

apparently the 32" is the first 32" plasma to be sold in the US, and it is a walmart exclusive. I also read that the tv is new, meaning that it isn't an old tv that has been marked down. Haven't been able to find any reviews of it, but according to the website my local walmart has some in stock so I might go take a look at them sometime.

[quote name='ddrcata']What about its native resolution being 1024 x 720?? Aren't most 32" 720p tv's 1366 X 768?[/QUOTE]

For LCDs, yes. Plasmas use a slightly lower resolution in general, if I recall correctly. It's not that noticable though because the picture is so much better.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Are these lacking the speakers that the older vizios came with?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has two built-in 10 watt speakers.
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=59

My 26" Vizio LCD only has two 3 watt speakers and they sounded alright to me (certainly not great, but not bad either). If you really care enough about audio though you'd end up buying external speakers anyways.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Tempting indeed! Are plasmas subject to this "HD lag" I've heard about when using older consoles? Or is that just an old wives tale?[/QUOTE]

That I can't answer. I haven't had any trouble with my Gamecube or PS2 on my LCD, and Plasmas have a faster response time, so I'd be led to say no, but response time doesn't necessarily influence lag.

[quote name='ddrcata']What about its native resolution being 1024 x 720?? Aren't most 32" 720p tv's 1366 X 768?[/quote]

The pixels are rectangular in shape.

I use a plasma for gaming. The only thing I would be apprehensive about is using it solely as a computer monitor.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Tempting indeed! Are plasmas subject to this "HD lag" I've heard about when using older consoles? Or is that just an old wives tale?[/quote]

Both are subject to lag. Lag will happen anytime an HDTV needs to scale or deinterlace a signal to fit the screen. It all comes down to video processing.

I have no knowledge about HD tvs, so I'm just asking, are the tvs in the original post suitable for console gaming?

I don't know about these particular Vizios, but I just thought I'd add that I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma almost a year ago specifically for console gaming, and it's been amazing. I've always felt the colors on plasmas are much richer than LCDs. I know it's all subjective, but to my eye, I'll take plasmas anyday.

As far as burn in goes, you really just have to be careful in the initial break-in period. Thats when the TVs are most susceptible to burn in. I just played fullscreen DVDs on mine more or less nonstop for the first week to get past the 100 hour recommended break-in time, and ever since I haven't had to worry about burn in at all.

ive got 50" vizio plasma and love it... ive also got a vizio 42" lcd in my back room and a 42" in my bedroom

we are technology geeks at my house.

but anyway i cant say enough good things about the vizio brand...

I am thinking about picking up the 32" now, I was going to get a smaller LCD, but with that price and the contrast ratio and response time better then the LCDs I was looking at, its hard to say no.

I don't know, this deal is so good and the Vizio brand comes so recommended that I'd be willing to cut my losses if something happened to the TV.

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']I hate to throw a wrench in this but I found this after a quick google search:

http://hdguru.com/your-new-disposable-flat-panel-hdtv/107

If you scroll down there's a section on warranty service through Vizio and it doesn't sound that great. Obviously just one guy's blog but it seems he's done the research. Anyone had any experience, good or bad, with their customer service?

Otherwise this deal is VERY tempting.[/QUOTE]

From my research, if there's going to be a problem with a plasma TV that doesn't happen within the first six months or so, you won't have a problem until after at least three years of use - where most of the add-on warranties expire anyways. I've never used the warranty with my Vizio, but when I got the 26" LCD, it had a dead pixel. I was able to take it back to Wal-Mart and exchange it for a new set, no questions asked. If anything, Wal-Mart is good about returns.

As far as shipping costs go, sounds to me like forcing people to pay for shipping instead of covering it is another way they cut costs to offer the lower prices. They cut costs in places where it doesn't severly affect the quality of their televisions. Seriously, they look almost as good as a Samsung or Panasonic screen for half the price.

Went and picked up the 42 inch today. So far I am really liking it. I have not had much of a chance to run through all its features, but so far it is much better than my 32 SD TV.

The picture is clear and since this is my first HDTV I feel like a noob, but I am reading up. From a first experience though, for a cheap 800 bucks, it is amazing.

i bought the 42 inch on monday after my 30 inch crt ihad for 3 years fried, it's really awesome so far, message me with any questions you may have, the pic quality is awesome

how is it looking with your games? am considering one, still deciding between plasma or lcd. any reveiws on this would be helpful, thanks.

The remote is not backlit and there is no PiP (unless I am missing something in the menu). I will double check for you soon.

how are the speakers? I don't expect much since they are flat planet speakers, but do they have a decent range of sound?

speakers are actually really good, there is no pip, the only downfall i have found is no pip, and it does great for me in a bright room

Yah there is no PIP and it looks great in a bright room. I have been trying to find the best calibration settings, but since this TV is new there is not much info on it yet.

Hello. Do these have a VGA input connection? I have an older xbox 360 and picked up the HD VGA input cables on clearance from Sears awhile back. The website only states they have 3 HDMI and 2 component inputs. Thanks.

*** NEVER MIND - web site is confused. Title says it has a tuner, specs say it is only HD-READY. I think the latter is probably the mistake. ***

One thing of note, which was important to me - the 32" model (at least - I didn't check the bigger model) does not have an HDTV tuner built in according to the website. That means you can't get a TV signal via an antenna. That's a huge shortcoming for me since I don't have (nor want) cable TV. Can anyone who has this TV verify that that info is correct? I'm hoping it's just a misprint. I didn't think they sold TVs without a tuner any more.

[quote name='jeff0514']Hello. Do these have a VGA input connection? I have an older xbox 360 and picked up the HD VGA input cables on clearance from Sears awhile back. The website only states they have 3 HDMI and 2 component inputs. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The 32" model has only 1 component input according the site. I'd need a switch box even if it had 2, though, since I've got three things I'd want to hook up via component (NGC, PS2 and DVD player), so that isn't a huge problem. Eventually I'll get a Wii, so that'd be a 4th one, unless they make a new model Wii that has HDMI....

[quote name='crunchewy']*** NEVER MIND - web site is confused. Title says it has a tuner, specs say it is only HD-READY. I think the latter is probably the mistake. ***
[/QUOTE]

That's right, the Vizio site has a tuner listed in the specs, for those interested, it contains the full sheet here: http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=58 . You can go to the larger one from there as well, but this is a direct link to the 32"

Got one for my sons room, and it looks great. Might pick the 42 inch one up for my room to replace the 32 inch LCD....

For the price I would say thumbs up.

people who have had these for a while... any annoyances popping up w/ the tv's? what are you using them for. Very much considering getting one as a graduation presesnt...

I believe I will picking a 32" for my room this friday, should be nice with my 360 and ps3. It was going to be either this 32" or a samsung 26", but with this set being cheaper, larger, more HDMI ports, and higher contrast ratio it is really hard to say no.

Picked up the 32" yesterday, its my first HD so its hard for my to judge but I am enjoying it. Have been watching blue rays and playing games most of yesterday, blue rays look awesome. Would be willing to answer any questions anyone has about the set.

[quote name='Doc Bacca']This is awful tempting. I've been looking for a 32 inch high def and not wanting to pay over $600. I've got no money coming in right now though so I'll have to hold off.[/quote]

Not sure how you feel about Credit, BUT Walmart has a CC and a coupon where if it's over a certain amount of money (this would qualify) you get no interest for 12 months.

So basically put it on there. Pay $50 a month or so and you get the thing for the exact same price as cash. Depends on how you feel but I always jump on those deals as I prefer to pay a little over time rather than just plunk down the whole amount.

This also depends on your credit situation though, but opening and showing a history of making payments doesn't hurt one bit.

[quote name='foxdvd']Got one for my sons room, and it looks great. Might pick the 42 inch one up for my room to replace the 32 inch LCD....

For the price I would say thumbs up.[/quote]

Wow, you bought a $547 TV for your son's room? Talk about a nice dad.

A few quick questions:

Does having a Plasma in 32" lower the quality in anyway?
Have you guys seen any type of improvement over an LCD of the same size?
I heard about these calibration CDs or something, do they help at all?

How do you guys like your 32" plasma vizio?
i'm in the market for it and having a lot of trouble finding real reviews

and the life expectancy of this tv? 60000 hours display life its saying
i dont know much about that but does that mean a good chance of more than 10 yrs?

and does a plasma TV have burn in, since i play halo 3 a lot will it burn an image of my hud if i play too long?

also if your had to choose between a vizio lcd or plasma what would it be?
like this one:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=398012&pCatg=9666

bread's done
Back