Vizio Plasmas @ Walmart: 32" for $547, 42" for $747 (not YMMV)

Gamerguy

CAGiversary!
Some people prefer LCDs for gaming, but after seeing these TVs, they look awesome. I have a 26" Vizio LCD that I bought from Walmart and it's been wonderful, so I'll probably upgrade to one of these by the end of the summer.

This is NOT a sale price. These two sets just came out on the market. When Vizio revealed them, they were originally priced about $200 higher than Walmart has them for, but I guess that didn't hold.

Both sets are 720p.

32" ($547)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

42" ($747)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477432

Just wanted to chime in and say I've had my 32' Vizio for just over three months. Works great as all others have said with the following minor faults.

1) No Picture in Picture

2) It runs hot as hell (check the top) could this be a problem in the long run? I don't know.

3) Costs more then LCD to run

4) PS2 looks like crap and component you will get "lines" through the picture. Granted all old gen systems look like crap on HDTVs. This is why I'll always have a SDTV hanging around.

5) Weighs a lot more then the LCD.

Other then that if this thing lasts me atleast five years I'll probably buy another Vizio. Hell, if it lasts me three + years I might buy another Vizio as I'm sure there will be newer/better technology out. I also bought the extended warranty just incase something bad happens. The cons of this TV are pretty small.

The blacks might not be deep or whatever, but for the savings Vizio has offered compared to Sony and Samsung this seems like the best "cheapass HDTV" purchase. The newer lines of Vizios are a lot better then the ones that were out a year or two ago, especially reliability wise.

BTW Adaptive Luna drives me nuts so I turned that off. I was playing Eternal Sonata and the brightness would change consistently. I know that's what It's for, but I can't stand it.

[quote name='Legolas813']I have the Vizio VX37L, and I'm having trouble showing widescreen DVDs in widescreen. Instead, all DVDs I have watched over the past few months have been shown in Windowbox. I have tried to switch to widescreen on the TV remote, but it just stretches the windowbox. The only other options are panoramic, which doesn't help, and zoom, which actually does fill in the whole screen, but blurs the picture and cuts off the sides of the video.[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like your DVD player is set to 4:3 and not 16:9.

MjC

Vizio sent a tech to come fix my TV and sent the parts. He put in a new power supply, Main board, and another board. My Tv now turns on but I have small Horizontal black lines that are going across the screen. Called Vizio again, they said to email them pictures of the screen and call them in two days. I am really started to get fed up with all this, I like the set, but I am wishing I got a different one now since I am needing a second repair in just 3 months. I was a Vizio supporter, and they seem ok on the phone about the warranty, but I will be buying a different brand next time which won't need two repairs in 3 months.

[quote name='ighosty']Vizio sent a tech to come fix my TV and sent the parts. He put in a new power supply, Main board, and another board. My Tv now turns on but I have small Horizontal black lines that are going across the screen. Called Vizio again, they said to email them pictures of the screen and call them in two days. I am really started to get fed up with all this, I like the set, but I am wishing I got a different one now since I am needing a second repair in just 3 months. I was a Vizio supporter, and they seem ok on the phone about the warranty, but I will be buying a different brand next time which won't need two repairs in 3 months.[/QUOTE]

Like I said just buy a warranty at Walmart then anything that happens you just take the TV in and they give you a new one!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Like I said just buy a warranty at Walmart then anything that happens you just take the TV in and they give you a new one![/quote]
Most LCD's and Plasma's don't have any problems there first two years of use. So warranty purchases are usually not recommended, plus the reviews (which must of been removed from the site recently) on the walmart site weren't to good for there warranty service. If I would of know that this TV was going to go bad after 3 months I would of gotten it.

[quote name='ighosty']Most LCD's and Plasma's don't have any problems there first two years of use. So warranty purchases are usually not recommended, plus the reviews (which must of been removed from the site recently) on the walmart site weren't to good for there warranty service. If I would of know that this TV was going to go bad after 3 months I would of gotten it.[/QUOTE]

My warranty covers 3 years and its an in store warranty. I asked and they said if I have a problem with it I just bring it back into a local walmart store. So in other words im guranteed a great working TV for atleast 3 years. So that means its only costing me $166 a year for a guranteed HDTV.

[quote name='shadowkast']+$99 for shipping. But I guess that would be the same as getting the extended warranty from walmart as costco throws in a two yr. right?

the plasmas are only 720p right?[/quote]
Yes I think they get 2 year warranty free. I checked the shipping costs and they are not all $99... the 26'' lcd has no fee, the 42'' has $50 shipping, the other 42'' lcd has no fee. Or just go B&M for no fees on all. Plasmas are 720 just like Walmart.

I forgot to mention that I've been having issues with the "brightness" readjusting in certain conditions. When turning town the contrast ratio the brightness seems to stop "flickering" as much when the contrast ratio is higher. Anyone have any words on this? I read It's the dynamic contrast ratio but I have no idea. At first I posted earlier that it was the adaptive luma, but combined with turning that on lowering the contract the issue seems a lot less common.

It isn't a huge deal because I still love my Vizio for the price outside of the shitty remote and lack of some options. I've gotten over the component thing since I hardly play my Wii and everything that is coming out is HDMI.

Well since this was bumped ill just add that iv had mine for about 3 months and the only issue I have had is pictures getting burned on the screens when games leave them up to long. However thats common of Plasma TVs and it seems to fade over time.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Well since this was bumped ill just add that iv had mine for about 3 months and the only issue I have had is pictures getting burned on the screens when games leave them up to long. However thats common of Plasma TVs and it seems to fade over time.[/quote]

I wouldn't put up with that.

[quote name='spinksjinx']I wouldn't put up with that.[/quote]

It isn't as bad as it sounds. Unless you leave the TV on a static image for 12 hours straight there shouldn't be any permanant burn-in, and the TV has an image cleaner.

[quote name='spinksjinx']I wouldn't put up with that.[/QUOTE]

The only time you notice is on extreame white/black screens which is only when the games load. Honestly when I am watching TV or playing games you never notice it. And the stuff that has burned on is stuff that generally sits in the exact same position all the damn time(for instance I play alot of RPGs and Rock Band so the rock band charts and RPG status such as HP get burned on).

I was thinking about picking one of these up. I was wondering if these TVs have headphone jacks in them? I do a lot of late night gaming, and I don't want to disturb my roommate, so it would be a huge plus to be able to game in headphones.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I was thinking about picking one of these up. I was wondering if these TVs have headphone jacks in them? I do a lot of late night gaming, and I don't want to disturb my roommate, so it would be a huge plus to be able to game in headphones.[/QUOTE]

cant find one on mines, kinda wish there was myself

why buy crappy vizio, when you can buy a 42" panasonic viera plasma 720p at Fry's for 700$?

A friend of mine just bought one a couple months ago, and it looks great. Panasonic>Vizio Panasonic Price < Vizio price. Win.

[quote name='jhweathers']anyone have the settings they use for ps3 or 360 gaming/[/quote]

I have a 360.

My current settings are...

Brightness 50
Contrast 55
Color 50
Tint 25
Sharpness 0

Color Temperature = Cool

Advanced Video Settings: I think I left these all at default. I have adaptive luma set to "on".

[quote name='munkapotamus']why buy crappy vizio, when you can buy a 42" panasonic viera plasma 720p at Fry's for 700$?

A friend of mine just bought one a couple months ago, and it looks great. Panasonic>Vizio Panasonic Price < Vizio price. Win.[/QUOTE]

Because Vizios aren't crappy. I've had a Vizio LCD for two years and it's great.

[quote name='ighosty']I bought the 32" about 2 months ago, after reading this forum and comparing it with other sets.
But just to let every one else know my set no longer turns on. The light in the front of the set is yellow so the TV is getting power, but when I press the power button the TV does not turn on. I called Vizio and a technician is supposed to come to my house sometime between Monday and Wednesday. I looked on some other forums and found some other people who have had the same problem with there other sets. Apparently it is either a power supply or main board problem.[/quote]

My Vizio just took a shit on me. For a week now the the Vizio light kept flashing orange and white and would take about a minute for the set to come on. Now, it isn't getting power at all. I'm waiting on the tech support line now. :bomb:

Well I sat, waiting for the phone four 15 minutes to talk to tech, then I hear a damn busy signal. You know, after a brutal two weeks of work I am not in the mood for this shit.

I'm not even going to bother with their ass tonight.

At least I still can connect my 360 to my PC LCD monitor.

Well, the repairman came by and was able to fix my TV so I'll have it for the Superbowl tomorrow. He had to replace a board in the TV and after that it worked. Took about 1 hour 45 minutes.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, the repairman came by and was able to fix my TV so I'll have it for the Superbowl tomorrow. He had to replace a board in the TV and after that it worked. Took about 1 hour 45 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Both for your sake and for mine. My Vizio still works great, but its good to hear if there is a problem they take care of it fairly fast.

bread's done
Back