Vizio Plasmas @ Walmart: 32" for $547, 42" for $747 (not YMMV)

Gamerguy

CAGiversary!
Some people prefer LCDs for gaming, but after seeing these TVs, they look awesome. I have a 26" Vizio LCD that I bought from Walmart and it's been wonderful, so I'll probably upgrade to one of these by the end of the summer.

This is NOT a sale price. These two sets just came out on the market. When Vizio revealed them, they were originally priced about $200 higher than Walmart has them for, but I guess that didn't hold.

Both sets are 720p.

32" ($547)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

42" ($747)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477432

A bit of advice...

If any of you are into anime, DCAU, or any other animation make sure you set the sharpness to 0 for any standard DVDs you watch. I looks much better.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only thing that makes it look better IMO is if a game supports progressive scan. If it does, it will look better. I tried it with God of War II and it looked pretty good IMO considering it was only 480p.

Here is a list of games that support it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HD_Enhanced_PS2_games[/QUOTE]

Im not saying it looks like crap in the sense of it doesnt look HD/360 quality or anything. Im saying it looks like crap in the sense of it looks grainy and more like old school PSX quality or something. Everything is really dark and has funny textures.

I just wanted to pop in and say I've had the 32" Vizio plasma for a little while now and use it pretty much exclusively for gaming. I have it hooked up to both a PS3 (HDMI) and a Wii (Component) with the audio-outs going to a sub and pair of active speakers.

I think including tax this thing cost me less than $550. That, is a bargain. For that money, the picture quality is fabulous. I have the PS3 set at 720p and everything is vivid and precise with no ghosting to speak of and just a very fine picture indeed. The connections are:

3xHDMI
1xComponent
1xComposite
1xS-Video
1xVGA
1xRF
1xStereo Audio Out
1xOptical Out

I think there's a few audio-in ports also. There are a couple of issues which you'd expect for a TV at this price. The stereo audio outs are noisy. Not a huge deal, but if you plan to use them, just be aware of that. The image retention is significant. However, Vizio include a 'clear screen' type of menu option which does a pretty good job of clearing any IR. Generally speaking it is not noticable playing games. There is also no 'Aspect' button on the remote, you have to change that via the menu.

Overall there's a few corners cut, but the picture quality for the money is close to astounding. Great value and if you treat it properly to avoid too much IR and burn-in, it makes an excellent gaming monitor with deep colours and fluid fast moving images. And personally I think the styling is the best of the Vizios yet, it doesn't look like a cheap set at all.

P.S. For PS2 games you're not going to get much joy. The Wii is passable at 480p but anything less is going to look a bit crummy. PS2 games played via the PS3 however generally look ok upscaled. Anything that supports prog-scan does tend to look better.

[quote name='GeeZa']I just wanted to pop in and say I've had the 32" Vizio plasma for a little while now and use it pretty much exclusively for gaming. I have it hooked up to both a PS3 (HDMI) and a Wii (Component) with the audio-outs going to a sub and pair of active speakers.

I think including tax this thing cost me less than $550. That, is a bargain. For that money, the picture quality is fabulous. I have the PS3 set at 720p and everything is vivid and precise with no ghosting to speak of and just a very fine picture indeed. The connections are:

3xHDMI
1xComponent
1xComposite
1xS-Video
1xVGA
1xRF
1xStereo Audio Out
1xOptical Out

I think there's a few audio-in ports also. There are a couple of issues which you'd expect for a TV at this price. The stereo audio outs are noisy. Not a huge deal, but if you plan to use them, just be aware of that. The image retention is significant. However, Vizio include a 'clear screen' type of menu option which does a pretty good job of clearing any IR. Generally speaking it is not noticable playing games. There is also no 'Aspect' button on the remote, you have to change that via the menu.

Overall there's a few corners cut, but the picture quality for the money is close to astounding. Great value and if you treat it properly to avoid too much IR and burn-in, it makes an excellent gaming monitor with deep colours and fluid fast moving images. And personally I think the styling is the best of the Vizios yet, it doesn't look like a cheap set at all.

P.S. For PS2 games you're not going to get much joy. The Wii is passable at 480p but anything less is going to look a bit crummy. PS2 games played via the PS3 however generally look ok upscaled. Anything that supports prog-scan does tend to look better.[/QUOTE]

1. I got my HDMI wires today and it fixed the problem as people said.

2. When I talk about the PS2 I am not complaining that it doesnt look next gen or anything like that. When I say it looks like shit I mean it doesnt even look as good as it does in the other room on my 10 year old crappy TV. Its grainy and funny looking.

[quote name='bobo2k4']I think I may pick one of these up tomorrow.
Any more reviews from owners or anything? Seems to be all thumbs up so far.[/QUOTE]

Im very happy with mine. Part of me kinda wishes I would have gotten the 42 inch but really thats my only regret. The picture is amazing for the price and if this is your first HD TV you should probally be blown away. People gripe alot about the sound and its deffintly not one of the loudest TVs iv ever had....but as far as im concerned if I can hear it from the other room its more then enough.

I think i'm gonna jump on one of these here pretty soon, my current tv is acting up pretty bad (hitachi rear projection hdtv)...that will be my excuse to the ol' lady

I'm thinking of getting the 32inch model too.

Does it come with an HDMI cord??? (I'm prepared to buy from monoprice if it doesnt)

And does it come with that cd I hear is used in the first 100 hours to prevent burn ins???

Thanks.

[quote name='MSI Magus']2. When I talk about the PS2 I am not complaining that it doesnt look next gen or anything like that. When I say it looks like shit I mean it doesnt even look as good as it does in the other room on my 10 year old crappy TV. Its grainy and funny looking.[/quote]
Know what you mean. You're gonna be using the Vizio's internal upscaler here and it's just not going to be good enough at this price. Have you tried changing the aspect? Most HDTVs do a pretty horrid job of displaying anything under 480p. I tend to find older SD sets look better in most cases.

Does it come with an HDMI cord??? (I'm prepared to buy from monoprice if it doesnt)

And does it come with that cd I hear is used in the first 100 hours to prevent burn ins???
No cable and no CD. Yeah, just buy a HDMI cable on-line and you're sorted. Stay away from bricks and mortar retail for cables. My advice on burn-in is just to be sensible with the TV. Don't leave it on sitting at a static image/logo for any length of time, get used to switching it off and if the image retention bugs you, use the screen cleaner option from the menu. With a bit of care this TV should do a great job and like most plasmas will get a bit better with use. I'm impressed with it so far.

[quote name='GeeZa']Know what you mean. You're gonna be using the Vizio's internal upscaler here and it's just not going to be good enough at this price. Have you tried changing the aspect? Most HDTVs do a pretty horrid job of displaying anything under 480p. I tend to find older SD sets look better in most cases.

No cable and no CD. Yeah, just buy a HDMI cable on-line and you're sorted. Stay away from bricks and mortar retail for cables. My advice on burn-in is just to be sensible with the TV. Don't leave it on sitting at a static image/logo for any length of time, get used to switching it off and if the image retention bugs you, use the screen cleaner option from the menu. With a bit of care this TV should do a great job and like most plasmas will get a bit better with use. I'm impressed with it so far.[/QUOTE]

Bah sucks that im going to have to play on my old SD TV. Its set up in the living room not my game room! And like this guy said it doesnt come with HDMI cables but you can find them online for like $7 shipped.

for Image Retention its better if you use the Plasma Burn In DVD than the screen cleaner that's built into the TV, seems to cut the time in half for getting rid of a possibly burnt image

No HDMI cable is included, but Monoprices HDMI cable works wonders for me

and if you bought the 32", I would return it and just get the 42" if its available in you wallet, Another thing just use the 32" for 2 1/2 months make sure you keep the box, work some overtime and move up to the 42" thats what i did, and now when i look at my old 30" TV it looks like a little baby TV, like i said in a previous post the 42" has never kept a static image on my TV, the 32" one i had would seem to burn that image in less than 5 mins of play, and this is from someone who is on Halo quite frequently for extended periods

I bought one of these ...

... from Costco ...

For $529 =].

I would suggest trying to run to costco to snatch this tv. Not only is it cheaper, but Costco extends the manufacturer warranty to 2 years and allows 90 days for a return as long as the set works.

As far as rating the tv, I basically use it for my ps3 and as my monitor.

Oh hey, I just realized it was for a plasma. Oops, my vizio is an LCD but either way, I think it's more price friendly. (There was a 42" Samsung plasma + sound system + install for $700 a couple weeks back)

Thanks guys, now I'm thinking of getting the 42inch.

I dont really have anything else to buy (except some ram for the computers), but I'm not sure since at 750 (plus tax) for the 42 inch, I could get a Samsung or something.

[quote name='teknologicks']I bought one of these ...

... from Costco ...

For $529 =].

I would suggest trying to run to costco to snatch this tv. Not only is it cheaper, but Costco extends the manufacturer warranty to 2 years and allows 90 days for a return as long as the set works.

As far as rating the tv, I basically use it for my ps3 and as my monitor.

Oh hey, I just realized it was for a plasma. Oops, my vizio is an LCD but either way, I think it's more price friendly. (There was a 42" Samsung plasma + sound system + install for $700 a couple weeks back)[/QUOTE]

Walmart is the same but I payed $512

So messed around with PS2 settings for awhile today and it really doesn't seem to matter what I mess with I guess the PS2 is just gonna look like crap. Really sucks since its the system I play most. If I upgraded from the basic Red, White and Yellow component cable to the RGB HD cables might it make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']So messed around with PS2 settings for awhile today and it really doesn't seem to matter what I mess with I guess the PS2 is just gonna look like crap. Really sucks since its the system I play most. If I upgraded from the basic Red, White and Yellow component cable to the RGB HD cables might it make a difference?[/QUOTE]

R/W/Y is composite. RGB + R/W is Component and will make the PS2 look much better, but not as good as a SD television. But if you really want to play a PS2 on a HD TV, definitely go with Component cables. Some games even support 480p, which will look pretty good on an HD set.

MjC

I picked up a 50" plasma vizio back in december for $996. the picture is incredible but it gets reeeeeeeally hot and i worry about that. it heats up my whole room. i have to leave my room every once in a while because its about 15 degrees warmer in there than it is in the rest of my house after the tv has been on for over an hour or two. when i first got it i was leaving my windows open...in december...in ohio...20 degrees outside and my room was still comfortable.

Urgent Question...

I am going to Wal-Mart to pick up the 32" Vizio Plasma, I was wanting to know would the box fit in the back of my car (Ford Mustang)??

[quote name='Poor2More']Urgent Question...

I am going to Wal-Mart to pick up the 32" Vizio Plasma, I was wanting to know would the box fit in the back of my car (Ford Mustang)??[/QUOTE]

dont know if you picked it up already but it fits perfectly in the back of my Acura CL

Just saw this thread. I was going to try holding off, but now I don't know... DAMN YOU! lol. Seriously though, I don't follow TV prices et al much, so if anyone knows:

1. Are there better deals near the holidays that would warrant holding off on buying this one? (I've heard black Friday "deals" are usually substandard tvs though, so I'm not really referring to BF).

2. I'd REALLY prefer 1080p, and unless I'm mistaken, this one is only up to 720p, yes? Is there a noticeable difference (or compatibility issues, like some games are 480 or 1080 only, so 720 just kinda guesses at it maybe?)?

3. I've got 3 different component cable setups. How accessible is the component in (ie, is it easy to simply switch em up)? Or is there a cheap switch box that supports component? I have a cheap one that is only up to S-video that works fine for SD, but...

For reference, I have the following to use with the TV: PC with GeForce 7800 w/ HD component out; 360 with component (no HDMI :cry: ); PS3 (will buy HDMI from monoprice); Wii (will buy component from monoprice); PS2 (S-video); Dreamcast, PS1, Xbox all through composite switchbox.

Also, my SD set is 36", so to get the same SD screen real estate, I'll be going with the 42" if I go with one of these.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just saw this thread. I was going to try holding off, but now I don't know... DAMN YOU! lol. Seriously though, I don't follow TV prices et al much, so if anyone knows:

1. Are there better deals near the holidays that would warrant holding off on buying this one? (I've heard black Friday "deals" are usually substandard tvs though, so I'm not really referring to BF).

2. I'd REALLY prefer 1080p, and unless I'm mistaken, this one is only up to 720p, yes? Is there a noticeable difference (or compatibility issues, like some games are 480 or 1080 only, so 720 just kinda guesses at it maybe?)?

3. I've got 3 different component cable setups. How accessible is the component in (ie, is it easy to simply switch em up)? Or is there a cheap switch box that supports component? I have a cheap one that is only up to S-video that works fine for SD, but...

For reference, I have the following to use with the TV: PC with GeForce 7800 w/ HD component out; 360 with component (no HDMI :cry: ); PS3 (will buy HDMI from monoprice); Wii (will buy component from monoprice); PS2 (S-video); Dreamcast, PS1, Xbox all through composite switchbox.

Also, my SD set is 36", so to get the same SD screen real estate, I'll be going with the 42" if I go with one of these.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

1. Everyone told me that black friday is a huge toss up. Many of the TVs sold at BF are sub quality or the really high end models that they are having a hard time moving. Personally id say bite on this TV iv had it a month now and im thrilled with it for $500 and wouldnt have minded spending the $700 for the 42.

2. Every time I have seen this come up the general feeling seems to be that most people wont notice the difference between 1080 and 720. Some can but most wont, its not like the difference between an SDTV and HDTV or anything drastic.

3. The TV has several input sets. Its got 1 set for componets, 1 for the PC, 2 for the old school RYW cables and 3 HDMI cables. The openings are all built into the side of the TV making them very easy to get access to. My recommendation would be to buy a set of HDMI cables for your 360, you can pick them up on ebay for like $5-$10 shipped and it makes things look even more amazing. If you use componet cables even on a 1080 TV your games just are not going to look nearly as good, plus you might get these annoying lines through the screen. You can then have your TV act as your PC monitor, hook a PS2, DVD player and your 360 up all at the same time. The TV comes with a remote that on the top of it has a button for each hook up meaning you can easily switch them over with the push of a button.

Edit - Walmart also has a really good return policy so if you buy the TV and dislike it as long as you keep the box you can probally return the TV no problem.

[quote name='MSI Magus']1. Everyone told me that black friday is a huge toss up. Many of the TVs sold at BF are sub quality or the really high end models that they are having a hard time moving. Personally id say bite on this TV iv had it a month now and im thrilled with it for $500 and wouldnt have minded spending the $700 for the 42.

2. Every time I have seen this come up the general feeling seems to be that most people wont notice the difference between 1080 and 720. Some can but most wont, its not like the difference between an SDTV and HDTV or anything drastic.

3. The TV has several input sets. Its got 1 set for componets, 1 for the PC, 2 for the old school RYW cables and 3 HDMI cables. The openings are all built into the side of the TV making them very easy to get access to. My recommendation would be to buy a set of HDMI cables for your 360, you can pick them up on ebay for like $5-$10 shipped and it makes things look even more amazing. If you use componet cables even on a 1080 TV your games just are not going to look nearly as good, plus you might get these annoying lines through the screen. You can then have your TV act as your PC monitor, hook a PS2, DVD player and your 360 up all at the same time. The TV comes with a remote that on the top of it has a button for each hook up meaning you can easily switch them over with the push of a button.

Edit - Walmart also has a really good return policy so if you buy the TV and dislike it as long as you keep the box you can probally return the TV no problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. By no HDMI for 360, I meant my console doesn't have the port (it's not one of the newer ones that comes with it, so component is the best I can do there...) oh, wait, edit: Didn't realize there was a "converter kit" That must be what you were talking about. Thanks! Also, what are these lines I keep hearing about and how do I avoid them? If they happen when connecting older SD devices, I'mma say fuck it. I'm not going to upgrade to a tv that can't do what my current set can correctly.

TV looks really nice. I don't own it, but I went to Walmart and had a look for myself in person. I know my gf needs an update into the new era of LCDs and Plasmas for her living room. I have a Samsung 32" LCD for my bedroom and I can't really tell a difference. From what I saw, the picture looked great. Better than anything else that was on display. I want to get her the 42" (I'd even get it for my own living room), but I'm struck for cash after buying a PRS McCarty off eBay. :p

[quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks for the reply. By no HDMI for 360, I meant my console doesn't have the port (it's not one of the newer ones that comes with it, so component is the best I can do there...) oh, wait, edit: Didn't realize there was a "converter kit" That must be what you were talking about. Thanks! Also, what are these lines I keep hearing about and how do I avoid them? If they happen when connecting older SD devices, I'mma say fuck it. I'm not going to upgrade to a tv that can't do what my current set can correctly.[/QUOTE]

The lines problem comes up with the 360 when using componet cables. I haved tried SD cables with my PS2 and with my PSX and had no problems with lines.....though the TV does make it look like shit. So ya if you cant do HDMI cables for your 360 dont bother. Other things iv not had problems with on the TV though.

here's a picture of the TV remote:

VizioTVRemote.jpg

(dont know how to make it a thumbnail, sorry)

and both TV's have the same amount of options for plugins from what i recall

1x Component
1x S-Video
1x Composite
3x HDMI
1x VGA
1x Optical Out
1x Stereo Out

the 32" inputs are on the left side of the TV
the 42" is on the bottom and 1x HDMI on Right side of TV

Power, Volume, Channel and Input buttons on the Right side of TV

one thing I dislike or maybe i havent found it on the TV yet is that there is no headphone jack.

Wal_Mart has droped the prices on the 32" Vizio Plasma its now $509 (The guy who worked their told me they droped it to that price this week) so needless to say I snatched it up

I am dissapointed the way Xbox 360 games are turning out.....why are the colors so dull....I am running compontents, I figure plasma would be brighter, what are your guy's pic settings

[quote name='Poor2More']I am dissapointed the way Xbox 360 games are turning out.....why are the colors so dull....I am running compontents, I figure plasma would be brighter, what are your guy's pic settings[/quote]

My current settings are...

Brightness 50
Contrast 55
Color 50
Tint 25
Sharpness 0

Color Temperature = Cool

Advanced Video Settings: I think I left these all at default. I have adaptive luma set to "on".

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']Just recalled and should mention that I heard/read that the 42" has less inputs then the 32.[/quote]

wait, the 42" LCD was recalled??? or am i misreading that...??

[quote name='breakingcustoms']wait, the 42" LCD was recalled??? or am i misreading that...??[/quote]

Just recalled as in just remembered :)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']My current settings are...

Brightness 50
Contrast 55
Color 50
Tint 25
Sharpness 0

Color Temperature = Cool

Advanced Video Settings: I think I left these all at default. I have adaptive luma set to "on".[/quote]

Thank YOU!! it actually looks pretty good over Components, I just wish I use HDMI (my 360 has no HDMI)

the Costco i went to has the 32'' plasma for $499 and the 32''LCD for $529. Checked them out in person and they look fine to me, might pick one up but damn is that not an excessivly big box, dont know if it fits in my civic.

I bought the 32" about 2 months ago, after reading this forum and comparing it with other sets.
But just to let every one else know my set no longer turns on. The light in the front of the set is yellow so the TV is getting power, but when I press the power button the TV does not turn on. I called Vizio and a technician is supposed to come to my house sometime between Monday and Wednesday. I looked on some other forums and found some other people who have had the same problem with there other sets. Apparently it is either a power supply or main board problem.

[quote name='ighosty']I bought the 32" about 2 months ago, after reading this forum and comparing it with other sets.
But just to let every one else know my set no longer turns on. The light in the front of the set is yellow so the TV is getting power, but when I press the power button the TV does not turn on. I called Vizio and a technician is supposed to come to my house sometime between Monday and Wednesday. I looked on some other forums and found some other people who have had the same problem with there other sets. Apparently it is either a power supply or main board problem.[/QUOTE]

Thats what the Walmart in store warranty is for! You just bring it directly back to the store and walk out with a new one!

[quote name='schuerm26']Compared to $700 or whatever for a new one?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It costs $120 for a 3 freaking year warranty. Id rather pay $120 and be guranteed that this TV will last me atleast 3 years then it break and im just SoL. Besides they screwed up and only charged me $60....so im covered for 3 years for only $60 I look at that as $20 a year.

Im thinking of upgrading from the 32" Vizio Plasma (bought 2 weeks ago from Wal-Mart) to the 42" Vizio Plasma at Walmart, what is the return policy on TV's, I heard its 90 Days, correct?

[quote name='Poor2More']Im thinking of upgrading from the 32" Vizio Plasma (bought 2 weeks ago from Wal-Mart) to the 42" Vizio Plasma at Walmart, what is the return policy on TV's, I heard its 90 Days, correct?[/QUOTE]

I asked the guy at the store when I bought my 32 if I changed my mind and wanted to come back in and buy the 42 if I could. He said as long as I had the original box and everything else it wasn't a problem for the first few months. So if you kept everything then ya box it back up and take it back. If they refuse just come back later in the day and try someone else.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I asked the guy at the store when I bought my 32 if I changed my mind and wanted to come back in and buy the 42 if I could. He said as long as I had the original box and everything else it wasn't a problem for the first few months. So if you kept everything then ya box it back up and take it back. If they refuse just come back later in the day and try someone else.[/quote]

Thanks man I kept the box and all the works that came inside the box

I have the Vizio VX37L, and I'm having trouble showing widescreen DVDs in widescreen. Instead, all DVDs I have watched over the past few months have been shown in Windowbox. I have tried to switch to widescreen on the TV remote, but it just stretches the windowbox. The only other options are panoramic, which doesn't help, and zoom, which actually does fill in the whole screen, but blurs the picture and cuts off the sides of the video.

bread's done
Back