Walmart will no longer take ANY returns without receipt in 2009

soonersfan60

CAGiversary!
Feedback
132 (100%)
I went to return something (with receipt), but there were signs posted and the customer service people were informing everyone that starting 1/1/09 Walmart will no longer take ANY returns without a receipt--even right after Christmas. It's about time they do that to combat all the fraud I am sure they are saddled with every year.

Yeah but not everyone does fraud them. This is a poor move like Amazon did when they stopped price matching within 30 days.

These companies suck anymore. :nottalking:

[quote name='lilboo']Yeah but not everyone does fraud them. This is a poor move like Amazon did when they stopped price matching within 30 days.

These companies suck anymore. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

It sucks, but I don't blame Wal-Mart. I blame the asshats who need to be open mouth curb stomped that ruined it for people who did not abuse it.

huge surprise...not.

Every other place has been doing it for years now....

Finally realized how not hard it is to hold on to a damn reciept.

[quote name='howlinmad']It sucks, but I don't blame Wal-Mart. I blame the asshats who need to be open mouth curb stomped that ruined it for people who did not abuse it.[/QUOTE]

I agree...but..Wal-Mart is supposed to be known for their customer service. They are supposed to be lenient with customers...and I worked there for 2 years. I know :(

As long as they don't start getting crazy with their policies..like making returns only within 7 days :(

[quote name='soonersfan60']I went to return something (with receipt), but there were signs posted and the customer service people were informing everyone that starting 1/1/09 Walmart will no longer take ANY returns without a receipt--even right after Christmas. It's about time they do that to combat all the fraud I am sure they are saddled with every year.[/quote]

I can't believe this didn't happen sooner, actually. There were far too many people abusing this policy of theirs. Even I abused this policy right after Christmas for many a year, since they were the most lenient.

[quote name='lilboo']I agree...but..Wal-Mart is supposed to be known for their customer service. [/QUOTE]

Seriously? I didn't know that... my WMs have crappy CS.

Good. The only people who ever use the no receipt return policy are scammers and cheats.. I mean "flippers". There is no legit reason to have this.

You think a story of this magnitude would have a story somewhere online, but I couldn't find anything about it. I remember when Walmart said they wouldn't prosecute anybody who shoplifted items under a certain dollar amount. That was all over the news.

[quote name='musha666']Good. The only people who ever use the no receipt return policy are scammers and cheats.. I mean "flippers". There is no legit reason to have this.[/QUOTE]

Not true, I have bought stuff from Wal-Mart with the intention to keep it (meaning I trashed the receipt) and ended up needing to take it back. I am not angry that Wal-Mart is doing this though, if I owned a business I would have the same policy to combat return fraud. It is sad that companies actually have to do this, but people will always try to take advantage of things like these policies and it drives up prices and lowers wages for their employee's since they have to make up for the money the lose by taking in inventory that wasn't originally theirs.

[quote name='lilboo']I agree...but..Wal-Mart is supposed to be known for their customer service. They are supposed to be lenient with customers...and I worked there for 2 years. I know :(

As long as they don't start getting crazy with their policies..like making returns only within 7 days :([/quote]

Since when? My walmarts support treats customers like shit.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Not true, I have bought stuff from Wal-Mart with the intention to keep it (meaning I trashed the receipt) and ended up needing to take it back. I am not angry that Wal-Mart is doing this though, if I owned a business I would have the same policy to combat return fraud. It is sad that companies actually have to do this, but people will always try to take advantage of things like these policies and it drives up prices and lowers wages for their employee's since they have to make up for the money the lose by taking in inventory that wasn't originally theirs.[/quote]

:lol: Seriously, Walmart(around here anyway) pays their employees SHIT in the first place, so how much lower than nothing could they really pay? Walmart is a horrible company, they're anti-union, anti-worker, pro wage slave. Then again, it seems like MANY companies like this end up being the biggest retailers in the country(WalMart, Gamestop).

It's pathetic, but what's more pathetic is that people shop at these places so much to keep them growing and in business, while other places flounder.

But I do agree that this policy was a courtesy for the longest time and due to rampant abuse many places already eliminated or restricted it.

I have to say again that I'm shocked this didn't happen sooner.

Well I got a game that I don't want as a gift, and the people that got it for me said they DID get it from walmart, so can I still take it back without the receipt?

As others have said, no big surprise here. God only knows how much money Walmart has lost over this policy. So, thanks again to the scammers who took advantage of this and ruined it for everyone. In a way, I'm kind of glad it happened, because it is proof that your ways can get services taken away from us.

honestly i think thats bogus...they are a billion dollar corporation they will still be making billions regardless of the change of policy imo

How is it bogus to require a receipt (which proves where the item was purchased) when returning an item to a store?

I save every receipt in a filing cabinet. If it is a high dollar item, electronics or something i feel i need to keep the reciept for, I usually keep the receipt with it or fold it and place it in the manual. You are one lazy sob if you cant keep track of a receipt.

[quote name='RandyTsai']at least there is still bestbuy and target[/quote]

Not really, since I tried earlier today with a PStwo slim I got at Best Buy Black Friday 07, since I wanted to use up the credit slip they gave me from my PRP on my XBox due to the scare with Sharper Image going under and not honoring their credit.

I've tried doing the reselling thing with it, pairing it with multiple controllers and a multitap I got from Kmart for $3.50 and selling it for $120 before the holidays, only to have people ask me to part it out or give it away for fuckin' nothing.

The one lady contacted me 2 days before Christmas, saying she would pay me $115 for the system, extra controller and multitap I was offering. But then she sent me another email saying she 'only had $50' but could try and scrape up the rest.

Suffice to say, I haven't heard back from her and it's now after Christmas.

I have NO use for the motherfucker, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give it away for nothing to some assholes on CL. I'd sooner take a sledgehammer to it than drop my price to below what I want to try and get for it.

[quote name='RandyTsai']at least there is still bestbuy and target[/QUOTE]

the target around here stop doing that and local BB had signs that said all return requires receipt.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Walmart is a horrible company, they're anti-union...[/quote]Not sure how that's bad. Wouldn't it be nice if the big 3 American auto-makers were anti-union?

Like everyone else; this is not a big surprise from Wal-Mart.

WHAT?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was my #1 source of income!

What about Sam's Club?

[quote name='Malik112099']How is it bogus to require a receipt (which proves where the item was purchased) when returning an item to a store?

I save every receipt in a filing cabinet. If it is a high dollar item, electronics or something i feel i need to keep the reciept for, I usually keep the receipt with it or fold it and place it in the manual. You are one lazy sob if you cant keep track of a receipt.[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGbItDdSGM[/media]

[quote name='PhrostByte']WHAT?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was my #1 source of income!
[/quote]

People like you are the reason they're changing it. :roll:

[quote name='Vader582']Not sure how that's bad. Wouldn't it be nice if the big 3 American auto-makers were anti-union?[/quote]

what a great world that would be, everyone making 9 dollars an hour and the companys making billions in profit. its corporate greed that has caused this economic mess, corporate greed that is costing american jobs, and there is no way not having a check in the system (the union) would make anything better right now.

[quote name='PhrostByte']WHAT?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This was my #1 source of income![/quote]I seriously hope you are joking. That's pretty pathetic if you make money of off this.

[quote name='Vinny']Seriously? I didn't know that... my WMs have crappy CS.[/quote]

I agree, 90% of the walmarts i've been to had shitty service. This new policy doesn't really affect me because I rarely shop there now. Also some walmarts here have already stopped taking items without a receipt, I knew this would be coming sooner or later.

[quote name='lawdood']People like you are the reason they're changing it. :roll:[/quote]

I was kidding.. what is wrong with you new CAGs?

[quote name='dannydumbass']guess ive only got 6 days to get to walmart and return shitty gifts from relatives[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly. :lol:

I still haven't found anything to back this up. In fact, I found an article written yesterday that sorta contradicts it.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Business/Headlines/bizBIZ01122508.htm

"Walmart's time polices have not changed -- 90 days for most items and varying times for electronics and prerecorded music and movies -- but the start date has changed from the date of purchase to today. However, that only applies to items bought between Nov. 15 and Dec. 25."

I'm waiting for the crowd that throws out "Oh no, the moral police are here!" every time return fraud is mentioned...

Can anyone verify that this is for EVERY walmart, because I know for a fact that most of these policies vary by individual store. Its possible that a single walmart or walmarts in a certain area could impose this policy if they are experiencing a huge amount of return fraud or loss due to fraud. Our target was taking returns without a receipt for 20$ and under when I heard posts on other message boards that other targets were not taking ANY returns without a receipt no exceptions at all.

The policy should really be that you are able to return private label stuff (walmart brand, faded glory etc, stuff that is only sold at Wal-mart) at least for an item exchange, not necessarily a cash refund without a receipt. This helps when you buy an article of clothing and you get the wrong size by accident and you don't have the receipt, or the clothing you buy falls apart after one washing, hey it happens. I still think there should be at least a 3 day grace period after the holidays so people could return those unwanted gifts without a receipt for EVERY RETAILER, even a 1-2 grace period would be acceptable as long as people have some chance to get rid of those unwanted gifts.

[quote name='musha666']Good. The only people who ever use the no receipt return policy are scammers and cheats.. I mean "flippers". There is no legit reason to have this.[/quote]

Not entirely true. I didn't have my receipt for my mp3 player I bought this summer. It was working fine until day fourteen. I normally keep all my receipts, but I had misplaced this one. I knew it was probably a long shot, but I went in an asked could I get a refund and they said they said I had to have it. I'm a retail manager myself so I understood, but it didn't hurt to ask. Just so happened I had to to download an update for my mp3 player and its been great ever since.

We are required to have a receipt for return with my company, if a particularly unruly customer comes in we do have some discretion, but they keep track of every return without receipt so I only have done it in highly unusual circumstances.

There are certainly times that this was legitimately used. I don't doubt that. I understand that not everyone saved receipts. Nonetheless, the reality is, this was abused to hell by flippers. So, if it is truly disappearing, they are the reason why.

[quote name='Vader582']Not sure how that's bad. Wouldn't it be nice if the big 3 American auto-makers were anti-union?

Like everyone else; this is not a big surprise from Wal-Mart.[/quote]

It would've actually been nice if every damn company that went under(Worldcom,Enron) were actually required by the government to reduce their CEO's pay to $1, while making sure that their employees benefits and wages were covered while they searched for new jobs, instead of letting the fuckin' CEO's take massive wads of cash and leave nothing for everybody else.

As for unions, the days of them being truly useful to working people are LONG GONE, unless you count the fuckin' teachers unions. The union the local teachers have here managed to get the asshole teachers almost full benefits with very little out of their members pockets, while the people whose kids they teach go without to provide the most basic plan for their kids.

Every one of those crybaby teachers were like 'waahhhh wahhhhh wahhh i'm only making $25k a year after my benefit co-pays and shit, I need more money'. Any chimp can do what the jerkoffs who teach in this district do, where they go by the lesson plan in the teacher edition books.

bread's done
Back