Warner Bros. Red2Blu Program - Exchange Your HD DVD's for Blu-Rays

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

http://red2blu.com/

Shipping is $7 flat for any amount of titles it seems.

List of participating titles:

[quote name='h3llbring3r']#
16 Blocks
2001: A Space Odyssey: Special...

A:
Adventures of Robin Hood, The (1938)
Alexander Revisited: (Unrated) Final...
Ant Bully, The
Appleseed Saga:Ex Machina:LE (2D)
Assassination of Jesse James, The
ATL
August Rush
Aviator, The

B:
Batman Begins
Battle of the Bulge
Beerfest (Unrated)
Best of HD-DVD, The Vol. 1 ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The Vol. 2 ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The Vol. 3 ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The: Action ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The: Family ** ($9.95)
Blade Runner: Complete Collector's ** ($14.95)
Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary
Blood Diamond
Blue Planet
Bonnie and Clyde
Brave One, The
Bullitt: Special Edition

C:
Casablanca: Special Edition
Christmas Story, A
Clockwork Orange, A: Special Edition
Constantine
Cowboys, The

D:
Deliverance
Departed, The: Special Edition
Dirty Dozen, The
Dog Day Afternoon: Special Edition

E:
Enter the Dragon (check with the glitched BR thread, I think this one is Fubar on :BR:)
Eyes Wide Shut: Special Edition

F:
Firewall
Fugitive, The
Full Metal Jacket

G:
Galapagos
Getaway, The
Gods and Generals
Good Night and Good Luck
Goodfellas
Gothika

H:
Happy Feet
Harry Potter 1-5 Limited Edition ** ($14.95)
Harry POtter (#1)
Harry POtter (#2)
Harry POtter (#3)
Harry POtter (#4)
Harry POtter (#5)
House of Wax (2005)

I:
I Am Legend
In the Valley of Elah
Invasion, The

J:
Jailhouse Rock
Justice League: The New Frontier...

K:
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

L:
Lady In The Water
Lake House, The
Last Samurai, The
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the same.
Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut
Lethal Weapon 2: Director's Cut
Letters From Iwo Jima
License to Wed

M:
March of the Penguins
Matrix, The [Note: Blu-ray version is the 10th Anniversary Digibook.]
Michael Clayton
Million Dollar Baby
Music and Lyrics

N:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Nip/Tuck: The Complete Fourth Season
No Reservations

O:
Oceans 11
Oceans 12
Oceans 13
Oceans 11,12, & 13 set ** ($9.95)
Omega Man, The
One Missed Call
Out For Justice

P:
P.S. I Love You
Pan's Labyrinth
Perfect Storm, The
Phantom of the Opera
Planet Earth: The Complete... ($9.95)
Polar Express
Purple Rain

R:
Reaping, The
Relentless Enemies
Return to House on Haunted Hill...
Rio Bravo
Road Warrior, The
Room With a View, A: Special Edition
Rumor Has It

S:
Scanner Darkly, A
Scooby-Doo: The Movie
Searchers, The
Shining, The: Special Edition
Smallville: The Complete Sixth Season ** ($9.95)
Sopranos, The Sixth Season Part 1 ** ($9.95)
Sopranos, The Sixth Season Part 2 ** ($9.95)
Space Cowboys
Sublime (Raw Feed Series) (Uncut)
Superman II: Richard Donner Cut, The
Superman Returns
Superman, The Movie
Swordfish
Syriana

T:
That's Entertainment Trilogy Giftset ** ($9.95)
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
TMNT
Training Day
Troy / Troy Director's Cut (Unrated) [note: Blu-ray version is the Director's Cut (Unrated)]
Twilight Zone: The Movie
Twister

U:
Ultimate Matrix Collection, The ** ($14.95)
Under Siege
Unforgiven: Special Edition

V:
V for Vendetta
Viva Las Vegas

W:
We Are Marshall
Wicker Man, The (Unrated/Rated)
Wild Bunch, The
Wyatt Earp

** Special instructions for exchanging this title, please see the site!

[/quote]

Thanks H3llbring3r

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I purchased the Complete Matrix Trilogy (not the Ultimate) I called in to find out what my options were, as only the original Matrix is available for trade, not Reloaded or Revolutions.

According to the gentleman on the phone since there is not a BluRay equivalent to the complete collection they are going to send me the Ultimate collection.

He told me to send in my original collection box (not the back glued on sleeve, which I don't have anyway (assuming it had one), but the full box) plus all 3 covers and they would send back a Ultimate Matrix.

According to the gentleman on the phone they had a memo about this collection specifically and he confirmed what I should do with his manager.

So here is hoping this actually works!

[quote name='jstew9']Since I purchased the Complete Matrix Trilogy (not the Ultimate) I called in to find out what my options were, as only the original Matrix is available for trade, not Reloaded or Revolutions.

According to the gentleman on the phone since there is not a BluRay equivalent to the complete collection they are going to send me the Ultimate collection.

He told me to send in my original collection box (not the back glued on sleeve, which I don't have anyway (assuming it had one), but the full box) plus all 3 covers and they would send back a Ultimate Matrix.

According to the gentleman on the phone they had a memo about this collection specifically and he confirmed what I should do with his manager.

So here is hoping this actually works![/quote]

awesome news but how do we go about sending that box back?... break it down?

[quote name='DestroVega']awesome news but how do we go about sending that box back?... break it down?[/quote]Stick it in a box and send it along with the other cover art you're sending back.

They're paying for the shipping, so it doesn't matter how you send it to them, since they're just paying media mail shipping prices on it anyway.

I'm very highly tempted to get in on this when I get more money. Esp since I only have the HD DVD addon player and it sucks balls. The audio seems to be total shyte. Of all the sites/forums I've seen this on, I can't seem to find out how long WB is going to be doing this.

[quote name='jstew9']Since I purchased the Complete Matrix Trilogy (not the Ultimate) I called in to find out what my options were, as only the original Matrix is available for trade, not Reloaded or Revolutions.

Awesome. I guess I can send mine in too after all.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I'm very highly tempted to get in on this when I get more money. Esp since I only have the HD DVD addon player and it sucks balls. The audio seems to be total shyte. Of all the sites/forums I've seen this on, I can't seem to find out how long WB is going to be doing this.[/quote]

I think it was mentioned on an earlier page in this thread that they can cancel it any time, but will be doing it till the latest December 2009.

Okay,

So I know my warner movies may not be all that great, but could someone tell me if these are worth the upgrade, before I waste money on them?

300- I think the HD DVD is better
License to Wed
March of the Penguins
TMNT
Batman Begins
Harry Potter Trunk
Ultimate Matrix-I know this one is

so what do you guys think of the middle ones?

^ Just do a few minutes of research... the video quality is the same for every title as far as I know, check the specs of the Blu-Ray's to see if they have an audio upgrade, either PCM upgrade or HD-MA... that's basically it.

I just don't want HD DVDs if I can upgrade them for 5 bucks. I'd rather have all blu-rays.

I mean, AFAIK judging by the reviews on HDD, they appear to be the same/better on HD DVD but I want to be sure I'm not missing something.

I'd love to have all blu too, but unfortunately the other companies aren't running this type of promo right now, but perhaps I should take advantage just in case

[quote name='Darthjer']My thinking is that on Amazon or eBay, I'll pick up a 10 pack of those empty Blu-Ray cases that can hold two discs. I'll put the HD disc in with the Blu and have a prettier shelf.[/quote]

My thoughts indeed... I have 11 to send off and this will make things look good.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I mean, AFAIK judging by the reviews on HDD, they appear to be the same/better on HD DVD but I want to be sure I'm not missing something.

I'd love to have all blu too, but unfortunately the other companies aren't running this type of promo right now, but perhaps I should take advantage just in case[/quote]

Somehow, the 5 or so HD DVDs from other companies I would have left after doing this program.. none of those movies are out on Blu so it's all good to me.

Hmm, my Full Metal Jacket looks different than the one they list on the site. I guess its not the deluxe edition. I wonder if I can sent this one in? Probably worth a try.

I wish they would lower Blade Runner. 15.00 is far too expensive. But I need to pick up a copy of Casablanca... other than 300, are there any titles that should not be converted over to Blu?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I wish they would lower Blade Runner. 15.00 is far too expensive. But I need to pick up a copy of Casablanca... other than 300, are there any titles that should not be converted over to Blu?[/QUOTE]

According to the dvdtalk topic, Happy Feet HD DVD got better audio, while Harry Potter 4 and 5 got morebonus features

I don't understand how any HD-DVD can have better audio than a blu-ray.. even if they both have Dolby Tru-HD... it's the same audio track.

makes no sense.

[quote name='DestroVega']I don't understand how any HD-DVD can have better audio than a blu-ray.. even if they both have Dolby Tru-HD... it's the same audio track.

makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

The understanding would have to come from the fact that these companies dont always release the best stuff availible, instead just half assing a lot of releases. Same reason why a dvd will have more special features when the blu ray can easily hold em, SD or not.

[quote name='DestroVega']I don't understand how any HD-DVD can have better audio than a blu-ray.. even if they both have Dolby Tru-HD... it's the same audio track.

makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

according to the person HD DVD has TrueHD while Blu Ray only has DD5.1

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Hmm, my Full Metal Jacket looks different than the one they list on the site. I guess its not the deluxe edition. I wonder if I can sent this one in? Probably worth a try.[/quote]

The reissue edition contained better audio.. and maybe something else I cant remember.

Im sure they would swap it out, I dont see why not.

Just a note for everyone thinking of doing this, I just called them a few minutes ago and they told me that they have NOT decided how to handle this yet if you don't have the UPC. Try this at your own peril.

I thought about doing this for Planet Earth also but from what HDD.com shows they both seem to be the same thing. So it looks like the only one that I know I will be doing this for sure is the matrix set. That is as long as I still get the case for the bd set. What I paid for the set and what i will pay to change it over don't even come close to what both sets would have cost at msrp when the came out.

Here is what I am going to send out

Ocean 3 Pack
Matrix 3 Pack
Departed
Troy
Best of HD DVD vol 2
Casablanca
Happy Feet
Lethal Weapon
Harry Potter 1-5

I was going to participate in this promotion, until i found out you get no artwork. Just the case and the disc. :\

edit: so i called like 10 secs later and got a nother rep and he said that you get it like you bought it at the store. Brand new, complete with artwork and everything. Man, im freakin confused!

edit: So i called one last time and got a lady who said that i would receive the blu rays it as if i bought it at the store. so i am gonna dive right into this promo, anyone else have the same issues?

Sorry if this has been posted before, i just didnt feel like reading through 9 pages of info and also the sticky thread too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just spoke with a rep on the phone and she told me that all I had to send in was the Matrix Revolutions artwork, as that one is not available seperatley, and they would send me the whole collection back.

Just called and confirmed for myself, cause I had to place a new order for it (with new shipping, so I guess I'll go ahead and do Planet Earth too...), but the Complete Matrix can be sent in for the Ultimate Matrix. I liked this offer before. I really like it now.

[quote name='iamme10']I just spoke with a rep on the phone and she told me that all I had to send in was the Matrix Revolutions artwork, as that one is not available seperatley, and they would send me the whole collection back.[/quote]

That's correct, I just called to double check, and she said they had just received the official word from Warner Brothers on the issue.

For those who have placed an order already, how long did the confirmation email take? Mine hasn't come yet.

Also it looks like the return center is only an hour or so from me, so maybe mine will come fast

Inetvideo.com has HD-DVD Matrix Ultimate for $27 shipped, and Complete for $25 shipped if anyone is looking for them to trade in via this promotion. Takes a little legwork, but you'll end up with HD-DVD and BD copies for around $40.

They have a bunch of other HD-DVDs starting at $1.99, but the shipping is pretty high and usually kills the deal. They sometimes run a promo for free shipping with a $50 order, but they aren't running that right now. H ere is a link to all the WB HD-DVDs they have: LINK

Excellent deal....so, we basically just have to send the Artwork in, we get to KEEP the physical discs? Nice. This way I can eventually sell my HD-DVD 360 Add-On. Looks bulky on top of my Elite.

[quote name='MrDubbs']That's correct, I just called to double check, and she said they had just received the official word from Warner Brothers on the issue.[/quote]

Awesome... It actually has this listed in the special instruction now when you try to check out now, so I went ahead and put my order in... I did Bladerunner as well even though it's by far the worst deal at $15, but I figure if I was ever going to want to upgrade I may as well just do it now... Hopefully I can make back some of the cost of these reselling them.

[quote name='MrDubbs']For those who have placed an order already, how long did the confirmation email take? Mine hasn't come yet.

Also it looks like the return center is only an hour or so from me, so maybe mine will come fast[/quote]

Got mine instantly. Maybe you gave the wrong e-mail address, or it went into your spam folder?

Nice with this promo you can flip a 33.33+4.95 shipping Harry Potter Years 1-5 Limited Edition Gift Set on hd dvd for the bluray version for the total cost at the end for 62 bucks then resell the hd dvd movies 1-5 for 20 bucks and come out with the bluray version for only 42 bucks.

[quote name='MrDubbs']Okay,

So I know my warner movies may not be all that great, but could someone tell me if these are worth the upgrade, before I waste money on them?

300- I think the HD DVD is better
License to Wed
March of the Penguins
TMNT
Batman Begins
Harry Potter Trunk
Ultimate Matrix-I know this one is

so what do you guys think of the middle ones?[/quote]

I ultimately decided that the upgrade of my WB titles aren't worth the price, especially since I just purchased an HD-DVD player.

I used highdefdigest.com and compared the audio and video portions of the reviews between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Unless you're able to trade version one of Full Metal Jacket for version two or something like that, there is no difference.

[quote name='sendme']So Batman Begins and Planet Earth on HD DVD are not 1080p?[/QUOTE]

Not when the only player you have is one that doesnt send a 1080p signal :(

My PS3 can send the 1080p signal so those are the movies that really matter to my out of my collection. If all movie studious followed suit and I could phase out all of my HD-DVD's I might think about it. If Warner is the only one doing this though I still have some HD-DVD's that I really like and dont feel like paying for again on Blu (Bourne's and Hot Fuzz, although Hot Fuzz doesn't have a Blu release).

[quote name='Gorge']Not when the only player you have is one that doesnt send a 1080p signal :(

My PS3 can send the 1080p signal so those are the movies that really matter to my out of my collection. If all movie studious followed suit and I could phase out all of my HD-DVD's I might think about it. If Warner is the only one doing this though I still have some HD-DVD's that I really like and dont feel like paying for again on Blu (Bourne's and Hot Fuzz, although Hot Fuzz doesn't have a Blu release).[/quote]

I don't think you would notice any difference between a 1080i signal, and 1080p signal. If your display properly deinterlaces like it should, then there will be no difference.

[quote name='ilivas']I don't think you would notice any difference between a 1080i signal, and 1080p signal. If your display properly deinterlaces like it should, then there will be no difference.[/QUOTE]

Not only do I want the upgrade for the "1080p" which I know doesn't really make a huge difference but my Planet Earth HD-DVD skips at spots although the disc is flawless. I want to get Batman Begins because I am anal and have Dark Knight on BD and want the first one on BD too.

Like others, I became quite indifferent towards all of this. I think I'll just keep my HD-DVD covers and save my money. Hopefully, the 360 add-on will last me long enough until BD is so entrenched...or something else comes along...that I can just buy the movies on the cheap without going through this program. Besides, for some reason, I like having my "blue section" and my "red section" on the shelves. Just looks cool to me for some reason.

Just a warning-- people on Highdefdigest are saying Warner has a "special" disc only package of Casablanca that will be used for this deal-- NOT the full on Bluray box set available at retail... so watch out if the only reason you're upgrading is to get the box, as you may only get the movie. (and a standard BR case) Of course the funny thing is that version may become rare/sought after.. ;) (although it'll probably eventually get released and then be totally common)

Also, Warner did tend to make better HD-DVDs than Blurays when they supported both standards... for example, a number of their earlier releases were Dolby TrueHD audio on HD-DVD but only Dolby Digital on Bluray. So you might actually be LOSING quality-- depending on why you're trading in that may be an issue. (Phantom of the Opera is the big one that stands out in my head for this, on a musical it seems crazy!)

I did a quick count and have 15 Warner HDDVDs eligible for this. I just don't know if it's particularly worth it when I have a nice HD-DVD player collection... and unless all the other studios do it I'll always have HD-DVDs floating around my collection anyway. I might just do a few of the big ones (like my skipping Matrix combo discs!) and see how that goes before deciding on a second wave.

(and I'm glad I'm not the only one with Red and Blue shelves..!)

[quote name='Gorge']Not only do I want the upgrade for the "1080p" which I know doesn't really make a huge difference but my Planet Earth HD-DVD skips at spots although the disc is flawless. I want to get Batman Begins because I am anal and have Dark Knight on BD and want the first one on BD too.[/quote]

I'm doing the same thing with batman begins... I totally understand. I'm trying to get rid of mine because I just don't like having two players. Also most of my hd-dvds don't have HD audio, and none of them have DTS-HD Master.

[quote name='Justin42']Also, Warner did tend to make better HD-DVDs than Blurays when they supported both standards... for example, a number of their earlier releases were Dolby TrueHD audio on HD-DVD but only Dolby Digital on Bluray. So you might actually be LOSING quality-- depending on why you're trading in that may be an issue. (Phantom of the Opera is the big one that stands out in my head for this, on a musical it seems crazy!)

(and I'm glad I'm not the only one with Red and Blue shelves..!)[/quote]That's why I'm checking HDD and DVDTalk to see if it's worth making the transition from HD-DVD to BR on the WB titles. From the HDD article comparing Happy Feet, I'm skipping that one, as I'd rather have the DTS-MA audio than the DD 5.1 audio. The rest, I'll have to look and see.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Like others, I became quite indifferent towards all of this. I think I'll just keep my HD-DVD covers and save my money. Hopefully, the 360 add-on will last me long enough until BD is so entrenched...or something else comes along...that I can just buy the movies on the cheap without going through this program. Besides, for some reason, I like having my "blue section" and my "red section" on the shelves. Just looks cool to me for some reason.[/quote]

^This, all of this, sums it up for me as well.

But it is pretty cool of them to make an offer program available for those who want it.

[quote name='UjnHunter']How do you figure Planet Earth is Warner Bros.?![/QUOTE]

I think I mentioned in my original post about the PE set that Warner is the US distributor of BBC material...

Well, it will cost me $91 to "upgrade" my 15 movies, including The Ultimate Matrix Collection that I just bought today from inetvideo. Call me a sucker, but I have a soft place in my heart when it comes to collecting movies.

What people need to remember is this. It's not like your downgrading from HD to Blu. YOU STILL GET TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL HD DVD MOVIE! You're only paying $5 to get an additional 2nd copy, and that's totally worth it for me.

Quite honestly, I can probably sell a few of the ones I'm "upgrading" to friends or on craigslist for a few bucks each. I'll scan/repring all the artwork, and some people simply don't care if it's original artwork or not.

[quote name='Justin42']Just a warning-- people on Highdefdigest are saying Warner has a "special" disc only package of Casablanca that will be used for this deal-- NOT the full on Bluray box set available at retail... so watch out if the only reason you're upgrading is to get the box, as you may only get the movie. (and a standard BR case) Of course the funny thing is that version may become rare/sought after.. ;) (although it'll probably eventually get released and then be totally common)
[/QUOTE]
They have no way of knowing if that's true. My receipt says Ultimate edition. And WBshop only has that one version on their site.

The box art on the website are just place holders, even Bonnie and Clyde is shown in an elite case. In the US it's only sold in book form.
I don't think Warner will go through the trouble to issue special lower cost versions when they probably haven't moved that many copies of B&C or Casa UE, since those are sort of niche releases.

i might wait until someone reports back with what they received. i might upgrade the potter box i just picked up for around 10 buck to the blu so i can finish the collection.

bread's done
Back