Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='jmiller80']I just stumbled upon this local thread again.

A meetup sounds like a fine idea. I'll try to make it, too.

Edit: Another thought
You might want to contact the Goozex guys. They are local, and more importantly, they are gamers and CAG sponsors.[/quote]

I will do that. Thank for the info and I look forward to meeting you.

Edit- The Goozex folks have been informed and invited. Send a PM a bit ago.

Yes, the Goozex people would be great to meet up with. I've emailed quite a few of them, and they are all good folk. Things may be picking up steam in regards to this meetup. This meetup will happen, and I know that at the minimum this will be an opportunity to have a few drinks, some wings, and b.s. about games with a good group of guys. 20 to 1 odds that a Girl gamer shows up. Even my wife doesn't want to go.

[quote name='Tron999']Chalk me up as a maybe. How will we know each other? Are we getting a party room or something? I am not wearing a nametag! lol[/quote]

We are not getting a party room, we will just meet at a certain place (the bar) and introduce ourselves, have a few drinks, talk video games and deals and then move into the game room (hopefully).

[quote name='abhinav']Who or what is Goozex?[/QUOTE]

Some say that Goozex is a cult that gets drunk every other Saturday and glorifies sodomy within its exclusively all-male membership, but they would be wrong.

Check out the Shopping Deals forum. It is a innovative game trading site. And they are actually a great company.

Okay DC folks, who else is coming to the meetup? Check out the list, if you name is not on it, contact me or post. If your status needs to be changed, contact me or post. I am going to bring a camera to record it, but if there is someone else who would like to bring a camera or camcorder, just do it.

I am sure some of you feel funny meeting up, but it's not like we all don't communicate on CAG. This could be the beginning of something beautiful.

I'd like to but I'm in class at that time every Saturday until the end of June I think. I might try to swing by on my way home around 4ish in case anyone is still left, but for now count me out unfortunately.

[quote name='thebob101']Okay, just received this message from Mark @ Goozex:[/QUOTE]

Hooray. Should we email him, or do you want us to PM you and then you can send him just one list? Go Goozex. Go Washington DC Metro CAG meetup!

Also....how is it that some of you have classes on a Saturday....is this at MC, UMD-CP, or what? I'm years away from school, but I can't imagine that things have changed that much.

I am getting my 2nd Masters at CUA. It is every other Saturday.

Just email them, it sounded like Mark wanted to hear from us individually. Should be cool.

Wow guys, the meet up sounds great. I just moved up to DC from Florida in August... so this is my first real winter. I'm on the "maybe" list, but I will almost definitely be there. The only reason I would miss it would be a random school obligation... law schools like to do that. I've never been to a Dave & Busters, but it sounds fun... looking forward to it.

Also, I just wrote and posted a Firefox plugin to search the forums, you can check it out here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127472

I'll try and get on designing a banner for the meet up. Hopefully that will help get the word out.

Also, I still have extra brand-spankin-new Wii if anyone is looking for one. I waited in line for a second one because we (my girlfriend and I) thought the first one we bought was broken.... turned out to be a problem with the remote. So, we have one we never even opened. If any of you local CAGs are still searching for one, let me know.

[quote name='thebob101']I am getting my 2nd Masters at CUA. It is every other Saturday.

[/quote]

Same here, working on a MA with 2 weekday classes plus a Sat session for a few hours that isn't mandatory, but "really" is. It's one of those math classes (Not intro to addition either) where the problems are insanely hard so you to need attend every extra session to even have a hope of solving them.

Good grief, had class today (learned absolutely nothing) and told my professor about "my non-gamer plans" on the 24th, she wasn't very happy. She changed the times of the class to meet later in the afternoon and I told her that I would have to leave early. Today she made us stay till 2 pm because her boss spanked her about letting the class leave early for individual "study time."

I am stoked about the meetup, we need to figure out a way to recognize each other. Make sure you email Mark at Goozex before the meetup to introduce yourself and let him know you are a member.

[quote name='thebob101']
I am stoked about the meetup, we need to figure out a way to recognize each other. Make sure you email Mark at Goozex before the meetup to introduce yourself and let him know you are a member.[/QUOTE]

I think that we'll be fine. I think that if we see a bunch of guys with DSes than we can be safe to assume that that's the group. Does anyone have any standees? Maybe a Mario standee that is life-size. I'll look through my collection to see if there is anything that could distinguish our tables any better.

And yes, I emailed Mark. Haven't heard anything, but it is the weekend.

I know that we are all suffering under this ice/snow storm...but it really wasn't that bad. I went into work despite my back aching from lifting the heavy ice/water snow with my dinky plastic shovel.

I forgot to mention that I heard back from Mark @ Goozex. Seems like a nice guy.

How's everyone holding up in this weather? Luckily my classes were cancelled today, but I spent the whole day at home preparing for an oral argument anyway.

Hey thebob101, since you have already been in touch with the Grand Poobah Cheapy D...do you think it would be a good idea if we could get a little front page love about the meet-up? I know that I'll be cool just hanging out with the 7 or so guys that have confirmed that they are going to be there...but I just don't think that the word has gotten out about this. There are definitely more than us CAGers here in the area, and I'm not speaking of lurkers but active members. I know because the deals around here disappear crazy fast...but more seriously, because I've read many, many posters write about the DC metro area.

[quote name='lurknomore']Hey thebob101, since you have already been in touch with the Grand Poobah Cheapy D...do you think it would be a good idea if we could get a little front page love about the meet-up? I know that I'll be cool just hanging out with the 7 or so guys that have confirmed that they are going to be there...but I just don't think that the word has gotten out about this. There are definitely more than us CAGers here in the area, and I'm not speaking of lurkers but active members. I know because the deals around here disappear crazy fast...but more seriously, because I've read many, many posters write about the DC metro area.[/quote]

I totally agree, I will ask the Grand Poobah Cheapy D if we could have some front page love to get the rest of the members in our area involved. He did ask us to take some pictures which sounds like he was going to post something about it, but that would be after the fact.

I will PM him and post his reply. I will also see if Goozex will officially sponser it. If they do, maybe we could get a section reserved at D&B. I wonder if any other local business types would sponser it or maybe that could be something we could do for the next one if this one works out well.

[quote name='abhinav']I'm just making sure here but we got someone above 24 to sign us people in younger then 21 right?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm 30, and I'm pretty sure that there are others who are of age. But is that age thing really an issue on a random Saturday afternoon. I'll get lunch down there sometime earlier this week and scout the situation out. Maybe there will be a table or section where if necessary we could look out and see under-age CAGers waiting to get signed in. lol

[quote name='HarassmentPanda']Wow guys, the meet up sounds great. I just moved up to DC from Florida in August... so this is my first real winter. I'm on the "maybe" list, but I will almost definitely be there. The only reason I would miss it would be a random school obligation... law schools like to do that. I've never been to a Dave & Busters, but it sounds fun... looking forward to it.

Also, I just wrote and posted a Firefox plugin to search the forums, you can check it out here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127472

I'll try and get on designing a banner for the meet up. Hopefully that will help get the word out.

Also, I still have extra brand-spankin-new Wii if anyone is looking for one. I waited in line for a second one because we (my girlfriend and I) thought the first one we bought was broken.... turned out to be a problem with the remote. So, we have one we never even opened. If any of you local CAGs are still searching for one, let me know.[/QUOTE]

From where in florida? I just moved here, too, from miami not too long ago.

[quote name='rhetoric']From where in florida? I just moved here, too, from miami not too long ago.[/quote]

Sarasota, it's on the Gulf about 45 mins- 1 hour south of Tampa. My girlfriend moved up here with me, she's from Ft. Lauderdale.

well i feel like an idiot... i went to D&B by mistake today instead of next week... We need to have a set place to meet up next week.

[quote name='abhinav']well i feel like an idiot... i went to D&B by mistake today instead of next week... We need to have a set place to meet up next week.[/QUOTE]

Did you have fun? That's too funny.

[quote name='lurknomore']Did you have fun? That's too funny.[/quote]

Yeah... i actually spent 30 mins + looking for everyone. I used my sidekick to check the post by bob and then i felt like a tool. I do think we should set something up of where we should meet, their were a TON of people their today but i was never questioned for my age or anything, a ton of kids were just running around (like a horrible chucky cheese that smelled of booze)

No word from His Cheapness. I PMed him a couple of days ago about a front page blurb, but no response yet. I am going to ask Mark from Goozex if they will officially sponser it, then maybe we will get some attention.

Just called D&B and they can't reserve anything for us on short notice (should of called earlier, mental note). I don't think we will have a problem hanging at the bar at first and then getting seated (we might have to wait to accommodate all of us if the group gets large).

lurknomore, are you able to get over there and see if there is a location we can meet. If not, let me know and I will try to get over there and post a location.

I have been speaking with Mark from Goozex and they are officially sponsering the event. I have asked Cheapy D to post a blurb on the main page, but have not heard back from him. If anyone that is coming has a camera or digi cam, please bring it, he (Cheapy D) did ask me to take pictures/movies.

If this one turns out well, I am sure we could get more pub and sponsers for the next one. CAG DC should ROK and set an example for the rest of CAG as far as meetups are concerned.

Again, looking forward to meeting you all.

[quote name='thebob101']
lurknomore, are you able to get over there and see if there is a location we can meet. If not, let me know and I will try to get over there and post a location.
[/QUOTE]

I'll try to stop by tomorrow.

Edit: I went by today. And I spoke with the powers that be, etc, etc.

There are two sets of tables in the bar that we could seat ourselves. The table that I am speaking of is this long bar hightable that seats 14 people, 7 a side. There is one table in the front of the bar, right where you come in (Mallside), and the other table is on the rear of the bar. They said that if one of us can get there before the others get there and early enough...that we could keep the entire table to ourselves. If it is indeed busy on a Saturday afternoon, truthfully the bar area isn't that big to begin with though.

List me as a MAYBE.......as my good college pal CheapyD has been bugging me to attend. My plans to travel to NYC for the Comic-Con and Anime Awards may be kiboshed.

As a longtime veteran of D&B in Rockville (GOLD Level Baby!!)...I will say this...
Depending on the # of people attending...the bar is the most central....and I do highly recommend the Nachos as they stack toppings on each of the chips individually and they also have REALLY Tall SuperSize Beers. HA!!

You should specify which entrance you may want to be closer to as there is a Mall entrance and a Back Main Entrance.

Now if you need room to possibly lay stuff out or a table to arrange......there is a large area for watching sport events with tables which is usually very dead.

Saturdays are hit or miss on how busy they are.......but tends to be on the busy side in the afternoons b/c Kids are still allowed in.

As for items for trade.......as CheapyD will attest to......I have tons of stuff....if you ask I might have it lying around.....likely unopened.

I can think of a used STEEL BATTALION (complete in box) in particular that I have never bothered playing.

Sorry, I forgot to post it on the front page...I will do it today.
Thats cool that the Goozex guys will be there and are gonna hook you up with something.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sorry, I forgot to post it on the front page...I will do it today.
Thats cool that the Goozex guys will be there and are gonna hook you up with something.[/quote]

Thanks Cheapy!!!!! I am so stoked. Can't wait to meet everyone and talk/trade video games.

I almost never check the regional deals thread because I'm usually too busy, but with the front page love now in place, I couldn't miss the news. I too will try to stop by on Saturday.

Hooray for front page. Now with all this trading buisness, i might have to bring a few games but i doubt anyone wants what i have.

[quote name='abhinav']Hooray for front page. Now with all this trading buisness, i might have to bring a few games but i doubt anyone wants what i have.[/quote]

I am just going to bring what I have and if someone wants it good, if not, no big deal.

*sigh*
I'd love to attend but I'm going to be stuck in Fredericksburg at college. Oh well.
Still, awesome idea. If something like this happens over the summer than I am there.

I'll be there tomorrow. It will be nice to check out some local stores around the mall. Don't let me run in to anyone with lists in hand!! LOL

CML I have a huge list of guides and games. I'm trying to bring most of them but it may not be possible.

See yall tomorrow if I don't get lost!

Oh by the way, if anyone wants Obilvion for the 360 let me know. I can pick you up a brand new Collectors Edition for like $25! Or if anyone wants a PS2 5.6" screen I can either sell it to the highest bidder or will trade it for something sweet. LOL. Let me know I'm picking up this stuff hopefully tomorrow so let me know if you're interested. PM

[quote name='FRAUD_WHATS_THAT']Oh by the way, if anyone wants Obilvion for the 360 let me know. I can pick you up a brand new Collectors Edition for like $25! Or if anyone wants a PS2 5.6" screen I can either sell it to the highest bidder or will trade it for something sweet. LOL. Let me know I'm picking up this stuff hopefully tomorrow so let me know if you're interested. PM[/quote]

I am in, I will bring the cash tomorrow.

Wow...so I've been more or less lurking on this website for years, and I very rarely post, but D&B is literally a 5 minute drive for me. I feel like I can't not attend. I have some stuff I could trade or not (some of it is unopened), and it'd be nice to meet some gamers in the area. My friends are all casual gamers at best.

bread's done
Back