Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='cleaver']Yeah good times were had by all, I'm glad we moved it to Saturday. Thanks to thebob101 and MaxBiaggi3 for hooking me up with some guides.

Noteworthy was the shattering of the record for most females at a DC area CAG meetup with two, truly a Beamonesque jump from the previous record, which was zero.[/QUOTE]

50 points for mentioning Bob Beamon.

I'm really looking forward to our next meetup, whether it is in Maryland, Virginia, or DC. thebob you are on the job again. :)

Hey everyone, sorry for the late arrival. I had a great time on saturday. Everyone I talked with was very personable and friendly. Looking forward to the next one.

thebob: Thanks for the CD. Really digging "Wedding Gown" and "Something's Gone Away". And thanks for the work in throwing the event together.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Hey everyone, sorry for the late arrival. I had a great time on saturday. Everyone I talked with was very personable and friendly. Looking forward to the next one.

thebob: Thanks for the CD. Really digging "Wedding Gown" and "Something's Gone Away". And thanks for the work in throwing the event together.

MjC[/quote]

My pleasure and thanks for the kind words. We are just about to sign a deal with Gotham Records out of NYC.

[quote name='thebob101']My pleasure and thanks for the kind words. We are just about to sign a deal with Gotham Records out of NYC.[/QUOTE]

thebob101 is going big time. Congrats. We are all happy for you. Does this mean that you will no longer need to be a CHEAP ass gamer.

I think I'm a bit late to the party here since I really just found this section of the forum tonight. Anyway, is there a good source for import games in the DC/MD/VA area? I live in DC but I'm willing to travel for a good store.

Right now i'm looking for a copy of Super Robot Wars W, and Persona 3 FES.

[quote name='tw4win']I think I'm a bit late to the party here since I really just found this section of the forum tonight. Anyway, is there a good source for import games in the DC/MD/VA area? I live in DC but I'm willing to travel for a good store.

Right now i'm looking for a copy of Super Robot Wars W, and Persona 3 FES.[/QUOTE]

Only local place I know is Starland in Annandale. Here: www.estarland.com

[quote name='tw4win']I think I'm a bit late to the party here since I really just found this section of the forum tonight. Anyway, is there a good source for import games in the DC/MD/VA area? I live in DC but I'm willing to travel for a good store.

Right now i'm looking for a copy of Super Robot Wars W, and Persona 3 FES.[/quote]

If you know the shoppers on rockville pike, there is a japanese store right next to that which sells import games.

[quote name='abhinav']If you know the shoppers on rockville pike, there is a japanese store right next to that which sells import games.[/quote]

I didn't know about that but I'll check it out. Any clue about their selection?

First of all, I didn't realize estarland was located in Annandale. That's neat. Has anyone been to Pandora's Box in College Park? Or any Pandora's Box? How is their selection and how are their prices?

I don't know about the one in College Park, but the Pandora's Cube in Springfield closed shortly after they were raided by the FBI. The location in the White Marsh Mall (north of Baltimore) stayed open until sometime this year, I think, but the last time I was up there, it was closed as well. Their selection was never as good as Starland, though.

The Baltimore area has a chain called Power Play that sells import games. They have a decent selection, but they're somewhat overpriced. The stores I know of are in the Owings Mills Mall, the Glen Burnie Mall (not Marley Station), Towson Town Center, and Reisterstown Mall (really ghetto). I like to browse in there, and the prices on things besides imports aren't bad.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']I don't know about the one in College Park, but the Pandora's Cube in Springfield closed shortly after they were raided by the FBI. The location in the White Marsh Mall (north of Baltimore) stayed open until sometime this year, I think, but the last time I was up there, it was closed as well. Their selection was never as good as Starland, though.

The Baltimore area has a chain called Power Play that sells import games. They have a decent selection, but they're somewhat overpriced. The stores I know of are in the Owings Mills Mall, the Glen Burnie Mall (not Marley Station), Towson Town Center, and Reisterstown Mall (really ghetto). I like to browse in there, and the prices on things besides imports aren't bad.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know Pandora's in White Marsh closed, but then again I never shopped there anyway. I never found reasonable prices there. And unless they moved, the Power Play (or Power Gamer whatever) in Towson closed. I found some really nice deals at the one in Glen Burnie a couple months ago. They had a 20% off all used games sale, along with a buy 2 get 1 free on all xbox games. Didn't really look at their imports though, small selection and I gave up on import games after Dreamcast.

MjC

I haven't been up to Towson lately, but last I heard, the store was closing temporarily (possibly moving to another location in the mall) while it was remodeled. They did the same thing in Glen Burnie last year.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']I haven't been up to Towson lately, but last I heard, the store was closing temporarily (possibly moving to another location in the mall) while it was remodeled. They did the same thing in Glen Burnie last year.[/QUOTE]

I stopped in to the Glen Burnie store today while I was over that way for work. The guy there told me they did move the Towson store to another level, but he wasn't sure where. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in Towson. And they have the 20% sale going on (at Glen Burnie) but it's more limited now. PS1, PS2, GBA, DS, PSP, DC, Saturn only (think that's all) and buy 1 get one half price for xbox, GC, and Anime/DVDs. Picked up Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for under $14 after tax. No deals on Wii, 360, or PS3.

MjC

Yeah guys the Pandora's Box in Springfield closed due to some shaddy business going on in there. They were selling modded PS2's and Xbox's like crazy. $250.00 for an Xbox with like 20 games on a 125 gig hard drive. I know plenty people :roll: who got in on that deal. But now you gotta his estarland. That's about the only place to go import....Missed the event due to the job but when are you guys shooting for another meet and greet?.....

I drove up to Towson today. The mall is under renovation, so the Power Gamer is temporarily located on the 2nd floor, across from the Rainforest Cafe and a few stores down from EB.

The one thing I really hate about Power Gamer is they keep all their new titles, including imports, behind the counter, often spine out. That's fine for domestic titles (I guess) but for the majority of us who don't speak Japanese, it's impossible to browse their imports with just the string of characters on the spine to go on. It's no wonder the Glen Burnie store has had a copy of Sin and Punishment for so long; no one can see it or figure out what it is.

I'm more than a little disappointed by the import selection in most stores, at least around the DC area. I've been looking for:

Persona 3:FES (PS2)
Super Robot Wars W (DS)

both are VERY popular games in Japan so you would think that stores that carry import games would have them. None do. Starland (well, eStarland.com) is the closest I can get and they are out of stock and don't plan on getting more in. I could have Pandora's special order both games for me but if I'm going to do that I may as well order from Play-Asia.

I had to drop my car off at the auto body shop today, and as I was driving around Rockville, I noticed the game/lan place that one of you mentioned at the D&B meet-up. It is called x30-gaming.com and it's right on Rockville Pike, next to the Arby's. It is a small but decent set-up, with pretty reasonable rates. Anyhow, wanted to pass along this little thing that they are running for any gamers that are interested.

"Start: 06/16/2007 - 9:00pm
End: 06/17/2007 - 9:00am
X3O is hosting another one of our popular LockINs. The Welcome to Summer 2007 overnight party begins on June 16th at 9PM and ends the following Sunday, June 17th at 9AM. During the event there will be mini competitions in Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (PC), Guitar Hero II (Xbox 360), and Counter-Strike (PC).

Our LockINs always sell out before the day of the event, so please pre-register/pay to gaurantee your seat in the event."

Sounds like a good time. Would love to hear how things went if anyone can make it.

I picked up a used PSP today for really cheap ($60). I'm not really interested in any games for it, but I would like to use to to play emulators. Does anyone locally have an unpatched GTA: Liberty City Stories I can use to downgrade my firmware (I have version 2.81)?

[quote name='lurknomore']I had to drop my car off at the auto body shop today, and as I was driving around Rockville, I noticed the game/lan place that one of you mentioned at the D&B meet-up. It is called x30-gaming.com and it's right on Rockville Pike, next to the Arby's. It is a small but decent set-up, with pretty reasonable rates. Anyhow, wanted to pass along this little thing that they are running for any gamers that are interested.

"Start: 06/16/2007 - 9:00pm
End: 06/17/2007 - 9:00am
X3O is hosting another one of our popular LockINs. The Welcome to Summer 2007 overnight party begins on June 16th at 9PM and ends the following Sunday, June 17th at 9AM. During the event there will be mini competitions in Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (PC), Guitar Hero II (Xbox 360), and Counter-Strike (PC).

Our LockINs always sell out before the day of the event, so please pre-register/pay to gaurantee your seat in the event."

Sounds like a good time. Would love to hear how things went if anyone can make it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to do the lock in thing, but the place sounds pretty cool. I would definitely be up for a CAG meetup at this place at a later date.

MjC

Hi Washington D.C. Metro area CAGers. My girlfriend of 6 years just got accepted into a masters program at Georgetown and I'll be going with her. I'm looking for recommendations on where to look for an apartment, most likely just a 1 bedroom place. We'd like to be in a decent neighborhood that isn't too expensive (we currently pay just under $1400 a month) and isn't too far from the University. We currently live in San Diego so we don't know the area, but we'll be trying to fly out there within a few weeks to find a place to live. Also, anyone know of some companies in the area that I could look into for finding work for myself as a Mechanical Engineer?

[quote name='stalfosking']Hi Washington D.C. Metro area CAGers. My girlfriend of 6 years just got accepted into a masters program at Georgetown and I'll be going with her. I'm looking for recommendations on where to look for an apartment, most likely just a 1 bedroom place. We'd like to be in a decent neighborhood that isn't too expensive (we currently pay just under $1400 a month) and isn't too far from the University. We currently live in San Diego so we don't know the area, but we'll be trying to fly out there within a few weeks to find a place to live. Also, anyone know of some companies in the area that I could look into for finding work for myself as a Mechanical Engineer?[/quote]

Welcome, I am sure someone here in the DC area can help.

I don't have a good feel for DC rents (I live in VA), but $1400/mo seems a little low for a trendy area like Georgetown. I think you can get a place for that much in VA, but there aren't any Metro stops near the school. As for MechE jobs, SAIC employs engineers, as do other government and defense contractors. The USPTO is another option.

On an unrelated note, I am looking for a Wii for my sister for her birthday (near the end of the month). I see it is in the CC ad this week and I heard rumor of some up at the Rockville TRU earlier this week. Any better intel is much appreciated.

After looking at some listings online it looks like we may be able to live fairly close to the school with a comparable rent to what we are paying now if we live live a couple miles south of DC in VA. Supposedly the Metro stops in Rosslyn and then the walk to the school from there isn't too long. We don't need to live in DC we would just like to be close enough to school where my gf didn't need a car and so we're hoping the Metro will help.

I had looked into SAIC and didn't see anything that seemed to fit me, I'm a pretty recent grad (just a year out of school) so I think I'd basically need an entry level type positions for someone to consider me. Thanks for the recommendation on the USPTO its something I probably would have never thought of, I looked that up and I think I'll end up applying there along with whatever else I find.

First welcome to the area i hope you will enjoy your stay.
If your in rosslyn the school is just across the bridge, but depending where in rosslyn you stay this can be a very far walk. If you catch the train the closest station to georgetown is still 20 mins away walking

Yeah, Rosslyn is a nice area, lots of young folks, and there's great restaurants and a small mall there near the Metro. Don't know about Georgetown, but I've heard other people say it's not near the Metro at all (that's why I've never been).

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']First welcome to the area i hope you will enjoy your stay.
If your in rosslyn the school is just across the bridge, but depending where in rosslyn you stay this can be a very far walk. If you catch the train the closest station to georgetown is still 20 mins away walking[/QUOTE]

Correct. Even from Rossyln Metro, it is 2-3 blocks to Key Bridge, then over the bridge and another 2-3 blocks (I think) to the university. Unfortunately when they were building Metro Georgetown residents shortsightedly decided not to have the disruption of building it in their neighborhood, and now Georgetown is home to horrible traffic jams and no Metro alternative.

[quote name='abhinav']If you know the shoppers on rockville pike, there is a japanese store right next to that which sells import games.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='tw4win']I didn't know about that but I'll check it out. Any clue about their selection?[/QUOTE]
This is a neat little store. Lots of anime and collectibles. I've bought my daughter Hello Kitty stuff and myself some import Dreamcast titles. I know they have other import games, but I didn't really pay close attention at the time. They also had a discreet sign advertising Xbox modding.

[quote name='adamsappel']This is a neat little store. Lots of anime and collectibles. I've bought my daughter Hello Kitty stuff and myself some import Dreamcast titles. I know they have other import games, but I didn't really pay close attention at the time. They also had a discreet sign advertising Xbox modding.[/quote]

haha i love that sign. I asked them about it and if i remember correctly they stopped doing PS2 because they got busted and asked to stop but i guess M$ never caught on.

[quote name='lurknomore']Where exactly is this store? Is this the one that is in the same strip mall as the A&W fast food joint?[/quote]

Yeap, it's in the same complex. It's an interesting store, not the best one out there by far but it's local atleast.

I picked up Virtua Tennis 3 and Just Cause at CC today for $16.96 each. Don't bother checking the one by Tyson's Corner, that one didn't have any clearanced games.

The CC at Tyson's West on Leesburg Pike had 1 Just Cause left, it's behind the Fantastic Four 360 games if anyone checks. They had two DOA XVB games which are also $16.96. No VT 3 copies there.

The CC at Bailey's Crossroads had 3 VT games left and 3 DOA XVB games. No Just Cause copies there.

[quote name='abhinav']If you know the shoppers on rockville pike, there is a japanese store right next to that which sells import games.[/QUOTE]
Shoppers on the pike? You sure it's not off Nicholson Lane/Parklawn Drive? Anyways... Sorry for bailing out (again) on the meeting... Some crap happened and I couldn't come... Hopefully, I'll show up next time :p

Anyone who is interested, my band, The Vicious Martinis, is playing the 9:30 Club on Friday, July 6, 2007. It's going to be a very cool night of local Washington DC music. Tickets are $10 and the show is ALL AGES!

Thanks in advance anyone who comes out to support a fellow CAG member.

If your near Falls Church VA there's a place the CD Cellar. It sells imports and regular video games, cd's and I think DVD's.

Also, after 5 $15 purchases you get $10 off.

Also if you're looking for a wii in Northern VA go to the CC by Tyson's Corner. It's right across from where the new Best Buy opened up and is in the same complex as the conatiner store. Went there this week and they had some wii's.

Hey Washington DC metro....how would we feel about another Cag/Goozex meetup and swap-meet? I've been a bit awol here as I've been over in the Goozex forums. The Goozex community has been blowing up, so we'll be sure to see many more faces, etc.

I felt like a little bit of a lightweight last meetup as the only one without a PS3, so I've joined the club. Do all Blockbusters have Blu Rays now?

[quote name='cleaver']I felt like a little bit of a lightweight last meetup as the only one without a PS3, so I've joined the club. Do all Blockbusters have Blu Rays now?[/QUOTE]

Not all, but many of them do. The one closest to me doesn't, so I'm at the mercy of Blockbuster online's renters leaving something available for me. I've got a long list of bluray titles in my Q, and Crank is the only thing they've sent so far in 2 months.

MjC

[quote name='cleaver']I felt like a little bit of a lightweight last meetup as the only one without a PS3, so I've joined the club. Do all Blockbusters have Blu Rays now?[/QUOTE]

There is nothing better than peer pressure. Now we are all hard-core.

[quote name='cleaver']I was told the Bethesda Road Blockbuster is the only one in my immediate area to carry Blu Rays.[/QUOTE]

That is really hard to believe. I think that you should drop in on a few of them as their reach in my neck of the woods is prominent. Even a bumfuq Blockbuster in a horrible location had two shelves of Blu-Ray movies.

If anyone wants to trade for/buy my Blu Ray PS3 rebate LMK; according to the form it has to be sent to the same state as where it's bought and I bought it in Maryland.

[quote name='cleaver']If anyone wants to trade for/buy my Blu Ray PS3 rebate LMK; according to the form it has to be sent to the same state as where it's bought and I bought it in Maryland.[/quote]

Use them, I used Google Checkout and got a bunch of Blu Rays for $3 each. The rebates come pretty quickly.

Lurk, I am totally up for another meetup. I still have a ton of stuff to trade.

Hey guys, I'm a new DC/NoVA CAG'r, just dropping in to say hi.

I've got a question though - my 360 finally went red on me this week, so while I'm sending it back for repairs, I figured it'd be a good time to grab a Wii. I saw that they're in the circulars at best buy this week, but I'm wondering - anyone have any idea what time you need to get to the stores these days? Do I still need to get out of be at like 6, or should I be okay if I wander down around 9? I'm planning on dropping in on the BestBuy at Bailey's Crossroads, although I might head down to Springfield, since they're bigger - maybe I'll have a better chance down there.

Any suggestions or tips? It's so frustrating this area is so devoid of Wii's. Stupid Nintendo.

[quote name='thebob101']Use them, I used Google Checkout and got a bunch of Blu Rays for $3 each. The rebates come pretty quickly.

Lurk, I am totally up for another meetup. I still have a ton of stuff to trade.[/QUOTE]
I meant the deal where they send you 5 Blu Rays, you pick 1 from catagory A, 1 from category B, etc. There isn't one on the list that I would actually buy otherwise.

It looks like there will be a Microcenter where the CompUSA was on 355.

[quote name='cleaver']
It looks like there will be a Microcenter where the CompUSA was on 355.[/quote]

I saw that the other day. Wonder what they will be like?

Anyone had any luck with the 1600 ms point cards at CC? I have read they have been denying folks. I was able to get the deal at Wheaton, but they only had 3, I had to buy a 3 month card as well. The CS girl just manually price adjusted it after she asked the manager. She was very cool about it. I think I read Hyattsville denied a CAG.

[quote name='thebob101']Anyone had any luck with the 1600 ms point cards at CC? I have read they have been denying folks. I was able to get the deal at Wheaton, but they only had 3, I had to buy a 3 month card as well. The CS girl just manually price adjusted it after she asked the manager. She was very cool about it. I think I read Hyattsville denied a CAG.[/QUOTE]

I tried at the two CCs and BB at Tyson's Corner, no luck there, CCs only had one card or were out and BB wouldn't let me price match it. I'm going to have to try a different BB and CC tomorrow or Wednesday.

bread's done
Back