Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='The Great BM']Alright, so from the previous few posts, I think this plan sounds like it might work

CAG Washington DC Meetup
Level 3 of the mall

11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda, MD 20895-1021
Date & Time: Saturday, April 23rd 2011 @ 2PM - ???

How does that sound? If that works, super. And if someone could inform the Goozex crowd as well, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

My schedule says ok to that for now. How's it look for everyone else?

MjC

[quote name='The Great BM']Alright, so from the previous few posts, I think this plan sounds like it might work

CAG Washington DC Meetup
Level 3 of the mall

11301 Rockville Pike

How does that sound? If that works, super. And if someone could inform the Goozex crowd as well, that would be great.[/QUOTE]

Works for me, I will find a way to manage and make it.

I'm also going to the Japanese Street Festival in D.C., send me a PM or something and we can meet up if you guys want.

[quote name='blahtastic']Sounds fun...I'll try to be there. What exactly do you guys do with trades?[/QUOTE]

Usually people just bring a few things they're looking to trade and see if someone else there has something they like. Pretty informal.

MjC

I created an updated post with the information and attendees. I also just posted this over at Goozex.

CAG/Goozex Washington DC Meetup
Level 3 of the mall

11301 Rockville Pike

Attending:
  • Indifference
  • MCalvert1
  • GenDV138
  • The Great BM
  • G-Nitro
  • nightmare452
  • ManaKnight
  • blahtastic
  • BigPopov
  • jmiller80
  • delainez
  • animallyson (?)
  • kevlar51 (?)
  • Benanov
  • misschiefmaker
If you can attend, reply to the thread and I'll edit the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello DC CAGs! I just moved to Pentagon City (from Tampa, FL) about 4 weeks ago for a new job. I know 0 people here, and with little luck making friends at a pretty demanding job, I've also been struggling to find a cool group of gamers to hang out with. I left most of my games back in Tampa, so I wouldn't have much in the way of Trades. However, I'd love to check out the DnB and get to know some local gamers. It looks like you guys are meeting at the end of the month? Any objection to adding another?

[quote name='Atherius']Hello DC CAGs! I just moved to Pentagon City (from Tampa, FL) about 4 weeks ago for a new job. I know 0 people here, and with little luck making friends at a pretty demanding job, I've also been struggling to find a cool group of gamers to hang out with. I left most of my games back in Tampa, so I wouldn't have much in the way of Trades. However, I'd love to check out the DnB and get to know some local gamers. It looks like you guys are meeting at the end of the month? Any objection to adding another?[/QUOTE]

Anyone is welcome to come join us! We look forward to seeing you there, and welcome to the area!

Is it reasonable to ride the metro up to the mall? I have a car, but metro is always better than trying to fight traffic.

I stopped by the White Flint Mall this past weekend to check out the store closing sale at Borders. Man, there's going to be a big empty hole in that mall when that store is gone.

I might be in for the meetup. Going to depend on my schedule, though, and will probably be a last minute decision.

Latest list

Level 3 of the mall

11301 Rockville Pike

Attending:
  • Indifference
  • MCalvert1
  • GenDV138
  • The Great BM
  • G-Nitro
  • nightmare452
  • ManaKnight
  • blahtastic
  • BigPopov
  • jmiller80
  • delainez
  • animallyson (?)
  • kevlar51 (?)
  • Benanov
  • misschiefmaker
  • geomoose
  • dwhelan (Tiny)
  • Atherius
  • arcane93 (?)
  • docbrown_gtm
  • Evil Herbivore

[quote name='Atherius']Is it reasonable to ride the metro up to the mall? I have a car, but metro is always better than trying to fight traffic.[/QUOTE]

There is a metro subway station near the mall, but not within walking distance I believe. But there should be a bus stop near the mall

[quote name='Atherius']Is it reasonable to ride the metro up to the mall? I have a car, but metro is always better than trying to fight traffic.[/QUOTE]

If you need a ride to/from the metro out there to D&B that can be arranged.

i'd love to be able to come out, but that spot is nearly 50 miles from Annapolis.
Please let me know how it goes. Highlights, people, highlights.

[quote name='mm2barry']i'd love to be able to come out, but that spot is nearly 50 miles from Annapolis.
Please let me know how it goes. Highlights, people, highlights.[/QUOTE]

You should still come out. Or at least drive to the metro and me or somebody will get you.

[quote name='G-Nitro']There is a metro subway station near the mall, but not within walking distance I believe. But there should be a bus stop near the mall[/QUOTE]

I would consider it walking distance, it takes me about a 5 minute walk from the metro to the mall (I work nearby, so I do that walk about 2-3 times a week). If you prefer not to drive, the metro is the easiest non-driving way, but yeah, the main problem might be that walk from metro to mall and back, especially if weather permits. It would be the White Flint station on the red line by the way, just walk in the direction towards the giant building across the metro station and keep going in that direction about 2 lights, you'll see the White Flint Mall sign.

Also, to all nearby CAGs, I was just there not one hour ago and as was previously mentioned, that Borders is closing, so everything in the store is 80% off. Just bought a couple of Blurays and manga for $2-3 a piece. FYI.

[quote name='nightmare452']Also, to all nearby CAGs, I was just there not one hour ago and as was previously mentioned, that Borders is closing, so everything in the store is 80% off. Just bought a couple of Blurays and manga for $2-3 a piece. FYI.[/QUOTE]

You didn't happen to find out when their last day was, did you? When I was there on Saturday, they had a sign up that said "8 days left", but then when I was in the Tysons Corner store on Sunday, they had a sign up that said "5 days left" and they told me that Friday was their last day. Since all of the local closing stores have been pretty much mirroring each other on when the drops have been happening and such, I'm surprised that they'd be on different last day schedules. Almost makes me wonder if maybe the White Flint store hadn't updated their sign for a few days.

Though I suspect they'll be pretty picked through by that point, I'm hoping to hit them one more time right at the end to see if there's anything good left.

[quote name='arcane93']You didn't happen to find out when their last day was, did you? When I was there on Saturday, they had a sign up that said "8 days left", but then when I was in the Tysons Corner store on Sunday, they had a sign up that said "5 days left" and they told me that Friday was their last day. Since all of the local closing stores have been pretty much mirroring each other on when the drops have been happening and such, I'm surprised that they'd be on different last day schedules. Almost makes me wonder if maybe the White Flint store hadn't updated their sign for a few days.

Though I suspect they'll be pretty picked through by that point, I'm hoping to hit them one more time right at the end to see if there's anything good left.[/QUOTE]

The sign at the store today said 5 days left, but I didn't ask the exact last day or if it was accurate. This is for the White Flint Borders.

Also, I checked the Borders at Friendship Heights and on Saturday, that one said 7 days, so it should say 4 today, so they might not be all matched on the same day (I also think they should match on the same closing day for all Borders though), but who knows.

Hope that helps.

The store itself is pretty cleaned out, especially manga and DVDs, there are two full wide rows left of manga though, but selection is over the place and nothing consistent. I bought the new Halo Cryptic novel, the newest Gears of War novel, some manga and 2 Blus. DVDs, especially Blurays, are all technically gone, there are almost no comic books (trade peperbacks), and there are almost no strategy guides (Fable 3, Halo ODST, WoW: Lich King & Halo Art Book are the only ones I remember). There's still copies of that latest Gears novel (they had 5 copies) and some World of Warcraft novels, including the Archives and Prelude to Cataclysm ones.

[quote name='Indifference']If you need a ride to/from the metro out there to D&B that can be arranged.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome, but I think it may be doable. I walk at least that much to and from the metro in DC everyday during the week - I work at Thomas Circle, and walk from McPhereson. Weather may be a different story. I may take a test run out there this weekend. Always cool to hit up the D&B :D.

On a different note, why is it that it seems all the gamers live North of DC? Don't see any representation down in VA.

[quote name='Atherius']That's awesome, but I think it may be doable. I walk at least that much to and from the metro in DC everyday during the week - I work at Thomas Circle, and walk from McPhereson. Weather may be a different story. I may take a test run out there this weekend. Always cool to hit up the D&B :D.

On a different note, why is it that it seems all the gamers live North of DC? Don't see any representation down in VA.[/QUOTE]There are plenty in VA. I'm closer to Balitmore though, but driving down to DC is not that far.

[quote name='nightmare452']The sign at the store today said 5 days left, but I didn't ask the exact last day or if it was accurate. This is for the White Flint Borders.[/QUOTE]

Huh, well, ok, if it said 8 on Saturday and says 5 today, that should mean that they're keeping up with it. Must be different days then. Fine with me, because getting to Tysons Corner on a weeknight isn't difficult for me, but White Flint is definitely easier to do on the weekend.

The only downside is that I was also considering hitting a couple of the further-out stores (like Bowie) over the weekend, but I'm not sure that it's worth it if they might not even still be open.

[quote name='nightmare452']The store itself is pretty cleaned out, especially manga and DVDs, there are two full wide rows left of manga though, but selection is over the place and nothing consistent. I bought the new Halo Cryptic novel, the newest Gears of War novel, some manga and 2 Blus. DVDs, especially Blurays, are all technically gone, there are almost no comic books (trade peperbacks), and there are almost no strategy guides (Fable 3, Halo ODST, WoW: Lich King & Halo Art Book are the only ones I remember). There's still copies of that latest Gears novel (they had 5 copies) and some World of Warcraft novels, including the Archives and Prelude to Cataclysm ones.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, on Saturday I picked up the Blood: The Last Vamprie (anime version) blu-ray, but other than that they didn't even have any blu-rays left at that point that I was particularly interested in -- I'm sure there'll be nothing left in those by the time I get there again. I don't even buy DVDs anymore unless it's something that I'm sure won't be out on blu for a long time if ever. Glanced through their manga and didn't see anything that I was really interested in, though of course as the price drops that could be re-evaluated if there's anything left. At this point I'm mostly interested in CDs (I bought about 9 CDs, and skipped about 15 others that I was interested in, but not interested enough to pay the price they were at) and regular books.

On the final days of the Tower Records stores that I hit, I got a lot of really good CDs for 25 cents each (it's good to have somewhat obscure tastes sometimes ;)). Don't think I'm going to be that lucky with Borders, though.

Uh oh, looks like I have a somewhat conflict with the meet-up, because the Bulls are playing. Hopefully a TV screen has the game on, since I'll probably be there watching the game cheering my team on. Haha, I might even have a few beers while watching the game. :p

[quote name='mm2barry']i'd love to be able to come out, but that spot is nearly 50 miles from Annapolis.
Please let me know how it goes. Highlights, people, highlights.[/QUOTE]

Dunno if you're still looking for reach, but I just got my free copy from MSFT for signing up for an xbox live beta.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh oh, looks like I have a somewhat conflict with the meet-up, because the Bulls are playing. Hopefully a TV screen has the game on, since I'll probably be there watching the game cheering my team on. Haha, I might even have a few beers while watching the game. :p[/QUOTE]

It's a playoff game, I doubt it they wouldn't have it on. The only trouble I could see is them giving priority to the NHL, since the Caps are playing around the same time, but I think they have enough TVs to handle it.. :)

[quote name='abhinav']I really want to make this meetup but not sure that I can. Put me down as a maybe...[/QUOTE]If you make it, I can talk to you about the recent blog you posted.

Meet is this Saturday! Latest list!

Level 3 of the mall

11301 Rockville Pike

Attending:
  • Indifference
  • MCalvert1
  • GenDV138
  • The Great BM
  • G-Nitro
  • nightmare452
  • ManaKnight
  • blahtastic
  • BigPopov
  • jmiller80
  • delainez
  • animallyson (?)
  • kevlar51 (?)
  • Benanov
  • misschiefmaker
  • geomoose
  • dwhelan (Tiny)
  • Atherius
  • arcane93 (?)
  • docbrown_gtm
  • Evil Herbivore
  • abhinav (?)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If you make it, I can talk to you about the recent blog you posted.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I'm a dolt. I forgot that this weekend is Easter and I'm spending the weekend with the GF's family doing... actually I have no idea what I'm going to be doing but I know I'd rather be at the meetup. I'm really intrigued about what you have to say Mana, sorry I can't make the meetup. Shoot me a PM or something if you wanna talk that way. I'll do my best to check up on this thread more often and try to make the next meet up.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I will definitely be there eating my Gold Fingers and fries. I might go to work before the meet-up.[/QUOTE]

Nope, you'll be eating something everyone chooses for you. :cool:

[quote name='Atherius']Hi guys - is there any problem with bringing my gf to the meetup?[/QUOTE]

There is never an issue with a gf coming. Hope she doesn't mind a gathering of geeks. lol

[quote name='G-Nitro']There is never an issue with a gf coming. Hope she doesn't mind a gathering of geeks. lol[/QUOTE]I'm no geek.

[quote name='Atherius']Hi guys - is there any problem with bringing my gf to the meetup?[/QUOTE]Not a problem. Many have brought their husband/wife/girlfriend/baby/etc. with them. Nothing wrong with that. I'm single so I don't have anyone to bring.

For people who don't know me, I will either wear a Bulls, Kingdom Hearts II or sackboy shirt.

[quote name='blahtastic']I dropped by DnB about an hour ago but I couldn't find you guys (I didn't see any signs or guys carrying tons of gaming swag). Maybe next time, then.[/QUOTE]It was in the bar area, bit long table towards the front.

Anyway, it was great meeting you. Hope to see everyone again. Glad to meet you Atherius and hope you enjoy the area (and get to do stuff with us more).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Anyway, it was great meeting you. Hope to see everyone again. Glad to meet you Atherius and hope you enjoy the area (and get to do stuff with us more).[/QUOTE]

Hey - it was great meeting everyone - thanks for having me. You guys now represent both my entire gaming and friend population here. Any time you guys want to meet/hang out, by all means, let me know.

Also for Xbox live / PSN, my call sign/tag is the same.

See you guys soon.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm no geek.

Not a problem. Many have brought their husband/wife/girlfriend/baby/etc. with them. Nothing wrong with that. I'm single so I don't have anyone to bring.

For people who don't know me, I will either wear a Bulls, Kingdom Hearts II or sackboy shirt.[/QUOTE]

Damn! I forgot that today was the day to meet up at D&B. :cry:
I live about 30-45 mins from White Flint Mall.
I would like to meet some of u ladies and gentlemen next time.
Please PM me for the next meeting.

bread's done
Back