Weekly GameQuestDirect/CAG Offers - Expire 8/6/07 - GOW2 (PS2) $29, GUN (360) $14...

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
All prices listed are after coupon discount. Coupon listed in bold:

Weekly Offers - Expire 8/6/07
Gun (360) $13.99 - CAGGUN
Hoshigami Remix: Running Blue (DS) $18.99 - CAGHOSHI
Konductra (DS) $8.99 - CAGKON
Family Guy (PSP) $13.99 - CAGFAMILY
Big Brain Academy Wii Degree (Wii) $38.99 - CAGBBA

Bonus Offers!
God Of War II (PS2) $28.99 - CAGGOD
Legend Of Dragoon - Greatest Hits (PS) $4.99 - CAGLOD
Legend of Heroes (PSP) $14.99 - CAGHEROES
SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 2 (PSP) $18.99 - CAGBRAVO
Quake 4 (360) $13.99 - CAGQUAKE

Shipping rates

Standard coupon codes - No expiration
CAG5 - $5 off $50.00 or more
CAG10 - $10 off $100 or more
CAGship - Free shipping orders $75 or more

Other GQD Threads on CAG - Please save this thread for discussion of the above promotion
The GameQuest Direct Reprints Thread
GameQuestDirect wants to win the CAGs back - Feedback requested

[quote name='JCDenton']The problem is that due to GQD's fraudulent practices, people have no way to tell their games apart from the REAL ORIGINAL games, so the prices of the real original games go down because people are always worried that they might be GQD fakes.[/QUOTE]

Whoh. I'm confused. If that's true, how do you know they're fake?

that was under the old management. The new management talked with cheapyD first
Meh. Remains to be seen. Talking to Cheapy is damage control; doesn't mean leopards change their spots.

That being said I can't say reprints upset me...at all. The notion of video games as a financial-investment/money-maker is so incredibly ludicrous that I can't feel sorry for those folks at all. (shrug) Collecting for the joy of it, then fine and dandy; Enjoy. Collecting for the express purpose of making money is...beyond foolish. That being said, there's also a lingering voice in the back of my mind that reminds me, caveat emptor.

If these original editions of games are that valuable, why would they have sold them mass market? Make more sense to sell them privately to collectors. The situation should have smelled funny.

Of course, that doesn't excuse misrepresentation of the product. Fraud is a strong term, but presenting your product as something other then what it is, is flat wrong, period; no matter how misguided the clientele may be.

As much as I didn't like their lies during the reprint fiascos, I have to say those are some great deals. Too bad nothing that really catches my eye but weekly offers like this would be nice.

[quote name='JCDenton'] I can't believe anyone would support them trying to pass off their counterfeit games as original copies. If you're going to buy from GQD, you may as well just mod your system and DL the games off of bittorrent. The CDR you burn will be worth just as much as one of these GQD fakes.[/quote]

Except by buying from GQD, the orginal developer still makes money and profits off your purchase, aka you are supporting that company and the making of more games, your sells will be counted in thier totals.

If you buy used or pirate, bam the orginal developer sees none of that. I'm of the opinon I might as well pirate the game then give my money to some used retailer like ebgames etc.

[quote name='pop311']I am confused, Is their copy of God Of War II a real, original copy, or is it a pirated copy?[/quote]

It's not pirated.

As I'm sure everyone knows, I'm not a fan of GQD. If you don't know, you do now by my title. I've had that up there since they lied to everyone here. Now, I'm over it. It's Cheapy's board, so it's up to him. Personally, I think they should do much more than give some good prices on some games that they still make money on. They should actually take a loss before CAGs should forgive them. It would have been better if they donated a lot of games to CAG to give away as raffles. It just seems this way, they aren't really losing anything to do business here, even with their history.

As for reprints, I feel the same as most collectors. They should mark them differently. Period. The people that hate collectors and just want to play a game should have absolutely NO PROBLEM with a game being re-released with a different cover to differentiate it. That way, you still get to play the game, and collectors can still collect. If you're not okay with that, then you just hate collectors no matter what and don't want them to have anything you don't. That's a personal issue that no one here can help you with.

However, I think what a board with this many members should do is petition Sony, MS and Nintendo to bring these games to the console networks for download. Screw GQD and any other retailer just trying to make a buck. If you're really concerned about the developers getting paid and you being able to play the game, then this is the best option. It wouldn't surprise me if GQD crawled back here because they know their life will be shortened dramatically by he release of downloadable versions of these games.

For now, order what you want, and support CAG I suppose, but make no mistake, GQD IS HERE TO MAKE MONEY. Nothing wrong with that, but no need to bestow false humility and philanthropy on them.

What the fuck?! GQD makes it possible for more people to enjoy the harder to find games. One rep lied, big fucking whoop. Every single person in every position in the VG industry lies all the damn time.

Should they release new covers or some other way just so a couple of greedy nerds don't pop a gasket because they're precious super rare game is worth a couple hundred dollars less? Not in the least. This is Video Gaming, if you want to be a collector, buy some sports cards.

I care more about getting good deals than some greedy ass collectors, so go piss off. Run along and find a site that caters to be a greedy ass hoarder.

[quote name='fwacce']As I'm sure everyone knows, I'm not a fan of GQD. If you don't know, you do now by my title. I've had that up there since they lied to everyone here. Now, I'm over it. It's Cheapy's board, so it's up to him. Personally, I think they should do much more than give some good prices on some games that they still make money on. They should actually take a loss before CAGs should forgive them. It would have been better if they donated a lot of games to CAG to give away as raffles. It just seems this way, they aren't really losing anything to do business here, even with their history.

As for reprints, I feel the same as most collectors. They should mark them differently. Period. The people that hate collectors and just want to play a game should have absolutely NO PROBLEM with a game being re-released with a different cover to differentiate it. That way, you still get to play the game, and collectors can still collect. If you're not okay with that, then you just hate collectors no matter what and don't want them to have anything you don't. That's a personal issue that no one here can help you with.

However, I think what a board with this many members should do is petition Sony, MS and Nintendo to bring these games to the console networks for download. Screw GQD and any other retailer just trying to make a buck. If you're really concerned about the developers getting paid and you being able to play the game, then this is the best option. It wouldn't surprise me if GQD crawled back here because they know their life will be shortened dramatically by he release of downloadable versions of these games.

For now, order what you want, and support CAG I suppose, but make no mistake, GQD IS HERE TO MAKE MONEY. Nothing wrong with that, but no need to bestow false humility and philanthropy on them.[/QUOTE]

Can I just second the fact here that it is utterrtly absurd they we have to pay 2 full shipping charges/seperate orders, if we want to get two different discounted games. It would help if GQD could work that out some time.

Edit: and just did live-chat, and it appears it's not a problem at all with thier system, it's their policy: If GQD wants to get back on good terms, might I suggest that they not appear to try to be like your typical junk ebay seller and be ripping us off on shipping charges. There is utterly no reason that I shouldn't be able to get two compleatly different discounted games in one shipment besides they make a nice profit off the shipping costs(if they don't and just like sending them out in two packages then they are kinda silly, because that policy just like them 3 games I was going to buy frm them).

i just got my quake 4 in the mail today that i ordered on 07-31-2007.

even paid for media mail!!!

grand total $17.98

it even had the bonus disc that contains quake 2!

i also had never heard of this company or there past problems, but they sure got a buy from me for this game at this great price.

[quote name='Brian9824']I'll second that. What sale?[/quote]If my guess is correct, they were actually talking about Gun being on clearance at CC for 16.96.

[quote name='pop311']I am confused, Is their copy of God Of War II a real, original copy, or is it a pirated copy?[/QUOTE]

It's 100% real and legit; exactly the same as you'd find on the Best Buy or Target shelves.

People are making it seem like every game they put on sale is a reprint and I'm pretty sure they're all part of the original print run.

last call for these offer...going to post the new ones shortly.

[quote name='koyota']Can I just second the fact here that it is utterrtly absurd they we have to pay 2 full shipping charges/seperate orders, if we want to get two different discounted games. It would help if GQD could work that out some time.
[/quote]In case they haven't seen it already, I will send your comment on to GQD.

[quote name='fwacce']As I'm sure everyone knows, I'm not a fan of GQD. If you don't know, you do now by my title. I've had that up there since they lied to everyone here. Now, I'm over it. It's Cheapy's board, so it's up to him. Personally, I think they should do much more than give some good prices on some games that they still make money on. They should actually take a loss before CAGs should forgive them. It would have been better if they donated a lot of games to CAG to give away as raffles. It just seems this way, they aren't really losing anything to do business here, even with their history.
[/quote]Actually, I left it up to you guys. Also, I am 99% positive that GQD are losing money on all the games in these promotions. The average markup on a full price console games is about $6.

[quote name='CheapyD']In case they haven't seen it already, I will send your comment on to GQD[/quote]Cheapy, please pass along that unless they're able to provide free media mail shipping w/DC with their CAG-specific coupon codes, they're not likely to get a whole lot of people buying games from them. Some of the discounts are attractive, though when shipping's figured in there, it gets a little less attractive. Amazon.com has gotten an immense amount of my business in the last twelve months because of the 2-day shipping I get with Amazon Prime. Before I had Prime, I still was giving them a great amount of business because of no tax + free shipping on $25 or more. GQD's free shipping coupons and dollar-off coupons are a step in the right direction, though having ugly shipping charges nullifies a lot of their deals.

Hoshigami: Remix came in the mail yesterday and I've gotten to play it for a few hours. It's a fun game, though from the sparse information on menus it's obvious it was once a PS1 game. I'm having fun with it though, so that's all that matters.

Anyway, I'd love to see stackable coupons. I would have bought Konductra for $9 on just a whim if I was able to use 2-3 coupons on the same order.

[quote name='jadedcritic']
If these original editions of games are that valuable, why would they have sold them mass market? Make more sense to sell them privately to collectors. [/QUOTE]

They did. They started listing the games on ebay and posted here about their warehouse "find". That is, until collector's realized what was going on, and the market was flooded.

Merchant is not liable for delayed, lost or stolen packages by Media-first- priority mail from post office. To ensure your purchase pick UPS..

hmm anyone ever have trouble with those shipping options? I'm thinking of doing ups ground incase since this my first time here I really wished they stacked coupons I hate having two packages ship like this I guess i'll chose 3.99 shipping for the LOD.

Well i've got my order in today I guess not bad specially for legend of dragoon and hoshigami hopefully things ship out ok this will be my first time ordering from them so if it turns out good i'll probably buy there again if it's a decent deal..

I've ordered drakengard, hoshigami, demikids light & dark and legend of dragoon long as all the games comes with box, manual and works fine i'm happy.

All you do is look at the price, factor in shipping, and see if the total price is fair. Amazon has free shipping but GOW2 for example is $40 with free shipping. The above poster got it from GQD $33 shipped.

If you demand free shipping or one time shipping charge (combine coupons on one order) they'll simply bump the prices up acccordingly and give you "free" shipping or whatever. As Cheapy said they're probably taking a loss on some, if not all, on these deals. Again look at the price and shipping charge on the individual game and decide if it's worth it or not. These are decent to pretty good prices IMO, I see nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='koyota']Except by buying from GQD, the orginal developer still makes money and profits off your purchase, aka you are supporting that company and the making of more games, your sells will be counted in thier totals.

If you buy used or pirate, bam the orginal developer sees none of that. I'm of the opinon I might as well pirate the game then give my money to some used retailer like ebgames etc.[/QUOTE]

You're looking at this wrong. When Shadow Hearts, Persona 2, Rhapsody, etc. was reprinted by GQD Gamestop/EB bought some from them and then opened them and sold them used. They still bought from GQD, thus helping Atlus, Midway, or whoever got money for that game. EB is just acting as a middleman, they still bought legit copies. And supporting EB is way better than copying games off the internet or whatever. At least you're helping the overall economy by buying from EB rather than flat out stealing games.

As far as used in general, that's way better than pirating games, come on you know better than that. Trading in used games helps people buy more games. Not everyone keeps games, once they're done with it they want to sell it or trade it. Sure some people are in an endless loop of buying/trading used games, but if people weren't buying used then used games would have no value thus people would be forced to rent or skip the game entirely, not necessarily buy new.

Used games in a lot of cases help people pay for new games. And not everyone can afford every new game they want. By the time they can afford it and get around to it a year or two later, the game may already be out of print, thus used is a good option. Pirating better than used? That's a crazy thing to say.

The original publisher/developer gets no profit from stores selling used games in general and buying used from EBStop doesn't save you a lot of money. Pirating is illegal but it does the same thing as buying used, gives no profit to the pub/dev team. It's a better thing to trade or sell here on CAG or with friends because buying used from EBStop will only support their perpetuating cycle of evil that will only grow!

Penny Arcade is so funny and relevant, I should have a T-Shirt with this comic and walk into a GameStop: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/30

[quote name='super_nerd']The original publisher/developer gets no profit from stores selling used games in general and buying used from EBStop doesn't save you a lot of money. Pirating is illegal but it does the same thing as buying used, gives no profit to the pub/dev team. It's a better thing to trade or sell here on CAG or with friends because buying used from EBStop will only support their perpetuating cycle of evil that will only grow![/quote]

As was just mentioned in the previous post, that's bogus, and a really lame excuse to steal.

Buying used games means people GET more for their used games, meaning they can buy more NEW games.
You're also supporting pretty much the only dedicated game store.

[quote name='Wolfpup']As was just mentioned in the previous post, that's bogus, and a really lame excuse to steal.

Buying used games means people GET more for their used games, meaning they can buy more NEW games.
You're also supporting pretty much the only dedicated game store.[/quote]

UH yeah...if you read my post I didn't promote pirating at all. By that logic pirating games would allow people to buy even more new games (I didn't say it but that's what's implied in your logic). I did say buying, selling, and trading here on CAG is a much more viable method of obtaining games *and* there are clearances where enough CAGs can get games for cheap and sell them to fellow CAGs as well (I've obtained a lot of games from clearances thanks to generous CAGs). Buying used saves you a little money but it sure doesn't do anything for the pub/dev, and with game developing costing more and more, it'll help them out more if you buy from a direct source. Very old used games won't make much of a difference but recent games do, and it's hurting the industry.

[quote name='super_nerd']UH yeah...if you read my post I didn't promote pirating at all. By that logic pirating games would allow people to buy even more new games (I didn't say it but that's what's implied in your logic). I did say buying, selling, and trading here on CAG is a much more viable method of obtaining games *and* there are clearances where enough CAGs can get games for cheap and sell them to fellow CAGs as well (I've obtained a lot of games from clearances thanks to generous CAGs). Buying used saves you a little money but it sure doesn't do anything for the pub/dev, and with game developing costing more and more, it'll help them out more if you buy from a direct source. Very old used games won't make much of a difference but recent games do, and it's hurting the industry.[/QUOTE]

You acted like stealing games is the same as buying used, and it's not.

And if you're stealing games, then obviously you're not going to use that saved money to BUY games. Whereas if you're buying a used game, you're taking that off the market, giving it value, so it's more likely the person who bought it in the first place would buy it, and you're supporting a store who's only business is promoting games.

[quote name='Wolfpup']You acted like stealing games is the same as buying used, and it's not.

And if you're stealing games, then obviously you're not going to use that saved money to BUY games. Whereas if you're buying a used game, you're taking that off the market, giving it value, so it's more likely the person who bought it in the first place would buy it, and you're supporting a store who's only business is promoting games.[/quote]

If you read my original post, I explain in what way pirating and buying used are similar, enough said. You show me a CAG who has never pirated anything and I'll show you over 9000 that have and still buy crap. EBStop is a nest of evil, you can support EBStop if you want, I'll support the dev/pub team.

[quote name='super_nerd']If you read my original post, I explain in what way pirating and buying used are similar, enough said. You show me a CAG who has never pirated anything and I'll show you over 9000 that have and still buy crap. EBStop is a nest of evil, you can support EBStop if you want, I'll support the dev/pub team.[/QUOTE]

You're NOT supporting anything by stealing. Your theory that used games don't support game development is flawed, as I and others have pointed out. No, it's not as direct as buying new games, but it does support them. Stealing doesn't. They are NOT equivalent.

And how is EB Games a nest of evil? I'm not crazy about all their practices, but I sure don't mind that there's a store that specializes in games. They're the only place a lot of smaller games even get shelf space.

[quote name='super_nerd']If you read my original post, I explain in what way pirating and buying used are similar, enough said. /QUOTE]
Pirating and buying used are not similar in any relevant way. Period. Your logic, and I use that term loosely, is flawed. The former is a fairly new invention made possible by the digital world. The latter is a basic property right than has existed since the dawn of civilization.

For there to be a used copy available, there has to be have been a physical copy sold first. There also has to no longer be a demand for that physical copy for it be available for resale. That's how every other item in the physical realm works. Used CD stores are hurting musicians! Used car dealers are hurting Ford! Home sales hurting new home builders! The sky is falling!

Used games hurt game development like libraries hurt authors.

What's hurting game development is the constant push to make blockbuster million dollar games with ridiculous budgets that then need corresponding sales to recoup.

bread's done
Back