Welcome to the All New Cheap Ass Gamer!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I am, but it doesn't work that well. Can't block flash stuff.[/quote]

Frisky, just right-click on the ABP icon and select "Open Blockable Items" to see a list of all the media on a page. You can block any stubborn iframes/Flash objects from there.

[quote name='metaly']Frisky, just right-click on the ABP icon and select "Open Blockable Items" to see a list of all the media on a page. You can block any stubborn iframes/Flash objects from there.[/quote]
Thanks. Though now it leaves a white frame in its place, which is more annoying than the ad, and blocking that doesn't block it on every page on CAG, so I'd have to do it over and over and over again. :whistle2:(

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Thanks. Though now it leaves a white frame in its place, which is more annoying than the ad, and blocking that doesn't block it on every page on CAG, so I'd have to do it over and over and over again. :whistle2:([/quote]

Use the * wildcard

Cheapy will the game collection feature have any way for us to import our games from IGN, or will we have to input them all manually?

[quote name='Chitown021']Nice to see that the PM alert system is working again.[/quote]

Yep, props on this getting done so soon.

OK, it's not a major issue, since I think someone took care of updating the second post for me for this most recent drop, but I STILL don't have access to the guide thread that I'm supposed to be updating. I'm still getting an internal server error on it.

Is there a way to save favorite individual blog posts? Sometimes I see posts with music/video that I can't watch at work, but want to check out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no functionality with the Font Size on Firefox 3.0 or IE 6.0.

They work in Opera 9.51 though.

Also, is there any way to track my "Blog" comments?

One thing that's been mentioned and I haven't seen addressed is the wiki. Will that be resurfacing in links? Or is it linked somewhere already and I just can't find it?

[quote name='pete5883']Is CAG grabber, price drop tracker and all that stuff gone?[/quote]

CAG grabber is under the SHOP drop down menu near the top of the page. It's nestled in between CAG schwag and the store list.

[quote name='ninja dog']Is there a way to save favorite individual blog posts? Sometimes I see posts with music/video that I can't watch at work, but want to check out later.[/quote]Yes, you can subscribe to individual blog posts and then check em by clicking on one of the blog subscriptions links that appear after you click on blog control panel. We should make that easier to find. The default setting auto-subscribes you to an entry if you comment in it.

[quote name='guinaevere']One thing that's been mentioned and I haven't seen addressed is the wiki. Will that be resurfacing in links? Or is it linked somewhere already and I just can't find it?[/quote]The wiki is having problems...we are going to have integrated trade-in price tracking with our game database with will hopefully launch in a month or two.

[quote name='willardhaven']Still no functionality with the Font Size on Firefox 3.0 or IE 6.0.

They work in Opera 9.51 though.

Also, is there any way to track my "Blog" comments?[/quote]Not sure, about the font size stuff (it should work on the front page font though). See above regarding tracking blog comments.

[quote name='pete5883']Is CAG grabber, price drop tracker and all that stuff gone?[/quote]Its being completely re-done. Look for it a few months.

[quote name='CheapyD']Yes, you can subscribe to individual blog posts and then check em by clicking on one of the blog subscriptions links that appear after you click on blog control panel. We should make that easier to find. The default setting auto-subscribes you to an entry if you comment in it.[/QUOTE]
Is this really working? I've commented on several blogs, but my blog subscriptions list is completely empty.

This is what I had mentioned back in post 83. Just thought I'd give some actual representation of what I was talking about.

Suggestion 1: On the left side of a post, where it displays the poster's name and other details, extend the green lines out for the whole rectangular box. Also, make the entire space the darker black color. This creates more contrast between the poster's details and the actual post, and eliminates some busy colors/lines that are a little unnecessary.

Suggestion1.gif

Suggestion 2: Eliminate the spacing between posts. Makes everything more uniform and flow a little better by using the black line that displays the post's creation time/number to serve as a strong contrast between posts, and also eliminates some unnecessary spacing.

Suggestion2.gif

If these are unclear in any way, just let me know and I can highlight more what I'm talking about. Seem pretty straight forward though.

Just thought I'd throw them out. Still great work on everything so far!

Not sure if this has been suggested, and I apologize if it has. I think an optional 3rd column on the front page (for those of us with high resolutions) would be great. I have a ton of room to the right, and I'd love to have a 3rd column I could dedicate to forum posts.

I realize this wouldn't be useful for everyone, and I have no idea how much work it would take to do this, so it's not a big deal. Just thought I'd throw out the idea.

[quote name='pete5883']Is this really working? I've commented on several blogs, but my blog subscriptions list is completely empty.[/quote]
There are two separate subscription lists...one for the blogs themselves, and one for individual entries...make sure you are checking the right one!

I realize that this stuff could be laid out a lot better...we will work on it.

is there anyway we can customize the front page, like say i didnt want to see any PS3 posts since I don't own one in the Video Game Discussion box, is there anyway I can make this so?

Most recent posts for each forum back on the front page. Much obliged.

Any chance of the increasing the size of the flashing new PM notification? What can I say, I'm spoiled by the previous version.

glad to see the custom forum thingy on the front page.

one thing im wondering, what are the chances of being able to implement a 3 column front page. i like that i can move the forums around in the order i like, but id like it even more if 3 columns were possible rather than two.

oh another thing, since we have custom front pages now, what abotut being able to ad the vs. forum to those? as someone who checks that forum out regularly id like to be able to just look at the front page and see whats new.

Sorry if it has already been covered, what is the status on an iPhone version of the website going back up? I really loved using it while I was on the go...

[quote name='CheapyD']The wiki is having problems...we are going to have integrated trade-in price tracking with our game database with will hopefully launch in a month or two.[/quote]Coolie coolie. Thanks!

Thanks John for the return of the most recent forum posts on the Front Page. Two related questions:
Can the Parent Forum listings be links? As in, in the following picture, I can click on the specific threads such as Gamestop Extra $10, but I can't go directly to the CAG Video Game Deals forum by clicking the CAG Video Game Deals?
exampleal3.jpg

Second question, how about making the front page three columns? Column 1, as it is, News type stuff. Column 2, Since you've been gone, Quick Links and any personal stuff (What's New, Profile Messages, et cetera). Column 3, Latest Forum Posts.

The sub-forum link problem (Internet Explorer) still exists. Hyper links need to be put in for stuff like "Your Man in Japan" and 'General gaming' when you click on subforums.

Can you put back the menu (User CP, FAQ, etc, that menu near the top) when viewing my (or anyone else's) profile? It's very unwieldy to have to exit out to the forums just to edit it, or to go anywhere else quickly.

[quote name='CheapyD']There are two separate subscription lists...one for the blogs themselves, and one for individual entries...make sure you are checking the right one!

I realize that this stuff could be laid out a lot better...we will work on it.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think the "Blog Entry Subscriptions" link was there when I checked earlier, but I'm glad it's there now :D

I've noticed sometimes that when i edit a post, in stead of save the button will say "Vote Now"

sorry if this has been said before.

I'm having a weird problem. I have my blog and comments set to "do not subscribe" - yet under "Blog Entry Subscriptions" I'm finding multiple entries. However, I can't delete them. I select them, I choose "Delete Subscription" and click "Go." I'm returned to the same screen and nothing has changed.

Here's a screen shot:

Windows XP/Firefox 2.0.0.15

When trying to change my blog banner, every time I try to upload the new one, it just reverts back to the old one even though its says that my blog was updated.

Windows XP SP3/Firefox 3.0

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm having a weird problem. I have my blog and comments set to "do not subscribe" - yet under "Blog Entry Subscriptions" I'm finding multiple entries. However, I can't delete them. I select them, I choose "Delete Subscription" and click "Go." I'm returned to the same screen and nothing has changed.

Here's a screen shot:

Windows XP/Firefox 2.0.0.15[/quote]
I had a similar issue with the new FF, which when I'd click to select all of those entries and click delete all at the bottom, it would only delete one at a time. There was no way I'd do that over and over again just to delete one out of forty entries at a time.

Can anyone else not see avatars currently? I think it happened earlier today.

I've got them checked in my options. Running FF 3.0 with Adblock on XP. Doubt any of that makes a difference. Tried clearing temp files but that didn't change anything. Sigs and pictures in posts show up without issue.

I'll mess with it more.

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question but I was trying to add my PSN ID to my sig but it won't work. I noticed HTML is off. Is this the problem and if so do I have to change that option somewhere?

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']when i click on threads sometimes it just doesnt work at all and i get a blank white page. Using Firefox latest addition.[/quote]I've had that for a few pages. I wound up having to click a specific page number and then navigate from within the thread from that point. It may be tied into how many posts per page you have selected. I've had that with 100+ posts per page. I've bumped back down to 50 posts per page and haven't experienced that since.

[quote name='Chitown021']I hope this isn't too dumb of a question but I was trying to add my PSN ID to my sig but it won't work. I noticed HTML is off. Is this the problem and if so do I have to change that option somewhere?[/quote]Probably no html will be permitted for sigs.
[quote name='CheapyD']You can use the same bb codes that you use in the forums.
There will be some new ones which allow you to:
  • select what preview text appears before you reader clicks "read more" to get to the full post

• float an image left, right, or have it centered (like every joystiq and destructoid post). Images will be resized automatically to fit. Clicking on an image will expand it to full size.
No site will give you full access to HTML as it presents a huge security risk.
[/quote]

[quote name='Chitown021']I hope this isn't too dumb of a question but I was trying to add my PSN ID to my sig but it won't work. I noticed HTML is off. Is this the problem and if so do I have to change that option somewhere?[/quote]

Frisky's post about how to do it worked for me.

Slight annoying problem : When accessing CAG from a non-cheapassgamer.com URL, such as CheapyD.com or via the IP directly I kept finding myself back using cheapassgamer.com.

Turns out that the two breadcrumbs in "Cheap Ass Gamer > Forums" don't change based on what domain you are using. The breadcrumbs following do use your current.
Since i usually come in via User CP, I've noticed this more often.

[quote name='CAG 79']When trying to change my blog banner, every time I try to upload the new one, it just reverts back to the old one even though its says that my blog was updated.

Windows XP SP3/Firefox 3.0[/quote]

I'm having the same problem.

Windows XP/Firefox 2.0.0.16

bread's done
Back