What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']The Game: The Underground Society of Pickup Artists - Neil Strauss[/quote]

That's a good one.

My current reads:
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Instant Rapport by Michael Brooks

[quote name='SooperDooper']I just read the first 3 books in the Forgotten Realms series of Drizzt Do'urden...I think that's his name...anyway...I finished each book in a day...they are pretty decent reads...good if you have time to kill.

They were recommended by a friend...and now I need to find the rest of the series somehow.[/QUOTE]

I loved these books when i was younger. I must have read them a half dozen times. Its been years since i've read them, but while i'm laid up healing from surgery it might be time to pick them up again.

In the past week I've read: The Lovely Bones, it was pretty decent, a little effeminate for my tastes, V for Vendetta, it was good, but definitely not as good as other Alan Moore works, The Dark Knight Returns, it was really good, and it went in a direction I never saw coming, and finally I just finished Choke, which was absolutely phenomenal, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while reading a book.

Next week I'm going to focus on reading the good ole' Harbrace College Handbook again to learn how to avoid writing ridiculous run-on sentences. Not unlike the one I just wrote.

Reading Lord of the Isles by David Drake. I'm looking to pick up Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson next time i make it to the bookstore.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I'm about halfway through Ender's game and I love it.[/quote]

That's one of my favorite books. When you're done you should definitely check out Ender's Shadow. It's the same story, but from Bean's perspective.

I know someone else here is a big fan of American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Cant remember who. Makersled maybe?

Anyways check out this link. I had a couple good laughs just reading the comments.

I'm halfway through book 2 of R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy. So far it's really good, just some old fashion fantasy. It really got me in the mood to play some D&D too.

[quote name='smiggity']I know someone else here is a big fan of American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Cant remember who. Makersled maybe?[/quote]

You are correct sir. I haven't read the book yet though. I have it in my Amazon wish list however. :lol:

Really? It makes the movie look, um very very tame. One of the best books I have read in a while. I plan on picking up a couple more of Ellis' books next time I get a 30% coupon for Borders. Hell of a writer.

But for now I am reading The Emporer Wears No Clothes by Jack Herer
Hemp can save the world!!

[quote name='smiggity']Really? It makes the movie look, um very very tame.[/quote]

I just finished the book myself, but I haven't seen the movie. I would think that a lot of the book's meaning would be lost in the translation, but I'll wait until I see the movie to say that for sure. But the book is excellent. I just ordered Less Than Zero, so hopefully the rest of his stuff is equally great.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Just finished The Walking Dead, book 8. Holy fucking shit.[/quote]

The Walking Dead was one of the most brutal comics I've read...It's just DAYUM!

Found a Walmart with an awesome scifi section in its books section today. Picked up Other Times Than Peace by David Drake, Hell Hath No Fury by David Weber and Linda Evans, and Yellow Eyes by John Ringo and Tom Kratman all for about 25% less than cover price. This walmart amazed me with its books section because the one in my town absolutely blows. Does anyone else have a Walmart that caters to the literate or is this one an anomaly?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Maklershed']You are correct sir. I haven't read the book yet though. I have it in my Amazon wish list however. :lol:[/QUOTE]

the book is a different animal. unbelievably raw.

[quote name='hopesfall']I just finished the book myself, but I haven't seen the movie. I would think that a lot of the book's meaning would be lost in the translation, but I'll wait until I see the movie to say that for sure. But the book is excellent. I just ordered Less Than Zero, so hopefully the rest of his stuff is equally great.[/QUOTE]

less than zero is IMO a better work than american psycho.
though less shocking outside a couple incidents.

[quote name='paz9x']less than zero is IMO a better work than american psycho.
though less shocking outside a couple incidents.[/quote]

Right on. That will be my next one then for sure. IMO, American Psycho the movie is not even in the same league as the book. Someone a few posts ago said it right that a bunch gets lost in transition from book to film. Not to mention the tailoring back of violence needed to be able to even make the film.

[quote name='smiggity']Not to mention the tailoring back of violence needed to be able to even make the film.[/quote]

Haha I've had a lot of people tell me that they've seen the film but not read the book, and they all mention how violent the movie is...

I'm pretty sure most of those people wouldn't be able to stomach the book :cool:

Just finished The Dark Tower, the final book in the series. Very twisty plot with an unexpected ending, but all in all an appropriate conclusion. The whole series was great, IMO, a bit of everything. And I generally don't enjoy Stephen King.

Anyone read the Jasper Fforde books? I finished The Big Over Easy and The Fourth Bear recently and am looking at starting into the Thursday Next series.

[quote name='Maklershed']What is that about?[/QUOTE]

It's about a futuristic society where death has been eliminated, government has been replaced by "ad-hocracies," small units that are responsible for very specific tasks, and money has been replaced by Whuffie, which is a measure of others' esteem of someone and that doubles as currency.

It follows a guy named Jules and his work on a ride (told you, adhocracies are really specific) at Disney World and how things start to change there--beginning with his murder (and restoration from backup).

It was really short, and I enjoyed it plenty.

Now on to Cory Doctorow's Eastern Standard Tribe.

I'm reading brisingr the third book of the eragon cycle.The books are great.The movie sucked.I hope more people read the books

[quote name='Liquid 2']It's about a futuristic society where death has been eliminated, government has been replaced by "ad-hocracies," small units that are responsible for very specific tasks, and money has been replaced by Whuffie, which is a measure of others' esteem of someone and that doubles as currency.

It follows a guy named Jules and his work on a ride (told you, adhocracies are really specific) at Disney World and how things start to change there--beginning with his murder (and restoration from backup).

It was really short, and I enjoyed it plenty.[/quote]

Sounds interesting.

[quote name='Maklershed']Sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]
It's also free via the Creative Commons license. Download yourself an ebook, mang.

I have it on my iTouch and read it in class/on the toilet/bus/while walking, etc.

My new books.
Blankets: Craig Thompson
Group Theory in the Bedroom, and other Mathematical Diversions: Brian Hayes
The Easiest Hard Problem is an amazing essay that really shows the potential of combinatorics

I just finished Through the Looking Glass by John Ringo and started Servant of the Dragon by David Drake. Through the Looking Glass was great. It had a good foundation in modern physics as its jumping off point and ,as usual with Ringo's novels, the action scenes were superb. It looks to be the start of another excellent series by John Ringo. I am also reading The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond and i hope it turns out to be as interesting and thouht provoking as his Guns, Germs, and Steel.

I started and finished Cory Doctorow's Eastern Standard Tribe.
The tribe concept was definitely underutilized, causing the book to be pretty lackluster.

Now starting Fun Home: a Family Tragicomic. I heard the author was coming to give a lecture here at my university in early November, so I looked up the book, and it seemed interesting.

Just started The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Very technical so far buy I'm enjoying it.

Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne is next up.

Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design by Barbara Forrest and Paul R. Gross. Just started reading it, but i already know a good deal about it since Dr. Forrest is the mother of one of my oldest friends. We grew up with her fighting the good fight to keep science education based on science. She gave me a copy of the new trade paperback edition to read while i am recovering from a boating accident i had two months ago. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but so far it has been both educational and entertaining. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the learning about controversy over whether religious pseudo-science should be a part of science education in the U.S.

[quote name='thelonepig']Anyone read the Jasper Fforde books? I finished The Big Over Easy and The Fourth Bear recently and am looking at starting into the Thursday Next series.[/QUOTE]

Highly recommended. I listened to them on audio during commutes. The reader is well chosen and the same throughout the series, so she really becomes Thursday Next for the listener.

Of course, you're coming at it sort of backwards. The Nursery Crime books are a spin-off of the Thursday Next series. They exist as books within her universe but for her each book is a mini-universe unto itself and a physical location she can enter.

Anathem, Neal Stephenson's latest doorstop.

It has its moments but the essential premise that intellectual jagoffs secretly direct the world just doesn't work for me. There is also an inexplicable sequence in which the main character and narrator leaves his group of travelling companions to take a different route to the same destination. He suffers greatly along the way and is nearly murdered by a mob upon reaching the rendezvous.

I cannot recall Stephenson offering any reason for this excursion. Apparently Erasmus just really needed the shit kicked out of him.

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Amazing book so far. His attention to the tiny, yet important, details that make up a situation is
borderline OCD, but is incredibly insightful at the same time. Beyond that, it's kind of hard to describe. It's about addiction and expectations in modern times? It's told in little vignettes that follow with different characters, but keeps coming back to one particular kid who's an eccentric genius tennis player. I'm only on page 40 (of 1000...)

Crippen: A Novel of Murder. The doctor whom the book is about (he was executed in London in 1862 for supposedly murdering his wife) is from my hometown!

bread's done
Back